What is the acceptable db range for the best cable (analog, DTV and HD) reception? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 105 Old 09-10-2012, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn View Post

There's a pretty good chance that there is no drop amp at all. You will want to place your amp at the input of the mail splitter, not just the outlet of concern.

Okay so in laymans terms, as far upstream as possible? lol. IIRC, I don't want to amp pre-modem, so I'll want to put the amp right after the splitter that splits the line coming from outside into 'internet' and 'tv' lines, correct?

This could explain why the signal upstairs was bad, also. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 105 Old 09-10-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaude6 View Post

Okay so in laymans terms, as far upstream as possible? lol. IIRC, I don't want to amp pre-modem, so I'll want to put the amp right after the splitter that splits the line coming from outside into 'internet' and 'tv' lines, correct?
This could explain why the signal upstairs was bad, also. Thanks!
Correct. Your cable modem should be on its own splitter (or tap), with the cable modem on one leg and the drop amp on the other. If it's a tap, the cable modem would go on the TAP leg, with the OUT leg going to the drop amp.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #93 of 105 Old 09-10-2012, 02:45 PM

Got it, thanks a bunch!
post #94 of 105 Old 09-10-2012, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0
"Dlaude", that PCT amp I got is still working fine. I don't know much about the EVO amps, but many cable co's use PCT. You need to compare the detail specs (THD, noise, S/N ratio, etc.), between the two to see which may be better. At the PCT site (which I probably linked to in my prior posts), they have detailed PDF files. The PCT is also cheaper.

If the existing box still works fine without the splitter, and you're sure it's not the cables, then it's obviously a low signal.

You need to put an amp where the cable comes into your house.

For some reason I have two main cable lines incoming and I only amplified one, the "main" main one. The other goes to the kitchen and outdoor area, I recently put a TV in the kitchen and it can't pick up HD cable channels very well (breaks up) so I have to get another amp. I'll either get another PCT, or I just saw this I need to look into: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2400 ($12.99 w/code A20812 and you can probably find free shipping codes). I don't know the significance of "return-path amplification", see the review.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #95 of 105 Old 09-11-2012, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Why dont you set up a service call with comcast? even if they charge a service fee it will be less than cost of materials/shipping. Buying the amp mentioned above with the return amp inside will more than likely get your cable shut off when you amplify noise and cause the node to shut down.
post #96 of 105 Old 09-11-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

"Dlaude", that PCT amp I got is still working fine. I don't know much about the EVO amps, but many cable co's use PCT. You need to compare the detail specs (THD, noise, S/N ratio, etc.), between the two to see which may be better. At the PCT site (which I probably linked to in my prior posts), they have detailed PDF files. The PCT is also cheaper.
If the existing box still works fine without the splitter, and you're sure it's not the cables, then it's obviously a low signal.
You need to put an amp where the cable comes into your house.
For some reason I have two main cable lines incoming and I only amplified one, the "main" main one. The other goes to the kitchen and outdoor area, I recently put a TV in the kitchen and it can't pick up HD cable channels very well (breaks up) so I have to get another amp. I'll either get another PCT, or I just saw this I need to look into: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2400 ($12.99 w/code A20812 and you can probably find free shipping codes). I don't know the significance of "return-path amplification", see the review.

Well I'm impatient (as I mentioned earlier, it's football season - not having dual TV set-up is not good) so I've already ordered one. If it doesn't work for my application, hopefully they'll have good customer service and I will give the one you mention a try. Also, all those specs would be right over my head and I'd have no clue which is better or worse (unless I'm always to assume the higher the rating the better).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide2011 View Post

Why dont you set up a service call with comcast? even if they charge a service fee it will be less than cost of materials/shipping. Buying the amp mentioned above with the return amp inside will more than likely get your cable shut off when you amplify noise and cause the node to shut down.

Service calls are free. And I know that because they've already been to my house THREE times and I've called and complained a handful more (not all the same issues, though). This specific issue they've been here for, and they've "fixed", and since it's not actually fixed, they've left it in my hands. If my cable shuts off boy oh boy will Comcast hear of my even further dissatisfaction with them.
post #97 of 105 Old 09-11-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Both amps are made by CATV industry manufacturers and are used by Comcast, Time-Warner, Cox, etc.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #98 of 105 Old 09-11-2012, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaude6 View Post

Well I'm impatient (as I mentioned earlier, it's football season - not having dual TV set-up is not good) so I've already ordered one. If it doesn't work for my application, hopefully they'll have good customer service and I will give the one you mention a try. Also, all those specs would be right over my head and I'd have no clue which is better or worse (unless I'm always to assume the higher the rating the better).
When I searched for that EVO amp I couldn't find their website nor any PDF docs on it. But I found one webpage that had some specs, they look good, don't know how accurate they are. Any THD, distortion, noise figures, flatness; the lower the better. The exceptions are (in this example) something like CSO, CTB, and Cross Modulation Distortions, expressed in negative dB (-X dB), the larger the # the better. Any S/N ratio (signal/noise), isolation, (not always shown in dB but usually implied), the higher the # the better.

I checked into that Holland HCDA-1FRA-AG that MCM has for only $12.99 and it's a good one, certainly by far the best buy at that cheap price since I saw other places selling it for up to $75!

God Bless,
-Clint
post #99 of 105 Old 09-12-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Both amps are made by CATV industry manufacturers and are used by Comcast, Time-Warner, Cox, etc.

Okay, cool, good to know, thanks!
Quote:

When I searched for that EVO amp I couldn't find their website nor any PDF docs on it. But I found one webpage that had some specs, they look good, don't know how accurate they are. Any THD, distortion, noise figures, flatness; the lower the better. The exceptions are (in this example) something like CSO, CTB, and Cross Modulation Distortions, expressed in negative dB (-X dB), the larger the # the better. Any S/N ratio (signal/noise), isolation, (not always shown in dB but usually implied), the higher the # the better.
I checked into that Holland HCDA-1FRA-AG that MCM has for only $12.99 and it's a good one, certainly by far the best buy at that cheap price since I saw other places selling it for up to $75!

Oh, thanks for the info!
post #100 of 105 Old 09-14-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I searched for that EVO amp I couldn't find their website nor any PDF docs on it. But I found one webpage that had some specs, they look good, don't know how accurate they are. Any THD, distortion, noise figures, flatness; the lower the better. The exceptions are (in this example) something like CSO, CTB, and Cross Modulation Distortions, expressed in negative dB (-X dB), the larger the # the better. Any S/N ratio (signal/noise), isolation, (not always shown in dB but usually implied), the higher the # the better. $75!
Specs can also be found at http://www.cencom94.com/subpage17.html

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #101 of 105 Old 09-14-2012, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Specs can also be found at http://www.cencom94.com/subpage17.html
Ok they look the same at both sites so I guess they're correct.

What's the significance of "return path" (bi-directional?) data? Does that info matter with TV antenna and cable apps, or is that just for something like cable modems?

BTW, if anyone wants one, it would seem the Nov 4th (or until they run out) is the last day those Holland amps can be had for only $12.99 with the code at the MCM link I gave above. Then they go up to $20 (which is actually still cheap). I still haven't been able to find a free shipping code for MCM.....at least none that actually work.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #102 of 105 Old 09-16-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's the significance of "return path" (bi-directional?) data? Does that info matter with TV antenna and cable apps, or is that just for something like cable modems?[/I]
Cable modems are not the only devices that use the return path. Settop boxes use the return path for VOD, PPV, and other interactive services. Telephone (VoIP or other ip-based services) uses the return path, as do systems that offer home security system monitoring. Any app that has to go out and acquire information uses the return path.

The list does go on...

OTA has no return path.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #103 of 105 Old 09-16-2012, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cable modems are not the only devices that use the return path. Settop boxes use the return path for VOD, PPV, and other interactive services. Telephone (VoIP or other ip-based services) uses the return path, as do systems that offer home security system monitoring. Any app that has to go out and acquire information uses the return path.

The list does go on...

OTA has no return path.
Ok thanks. I had some confusion because I didn't remember the PCT-MAT2 I'm using now having any return path. I checked and of course it does, but it's just not an amplified return path like the Holland HCDA-1FRA-AG is, and they also call it a "bi-directional" amp which the PCT is not called. The PCT of course works since I'm using it now, I assume the Holland would also work, but I'm wondering if it would work any better. ? I don't guess it would since I don't use a cable modem (I have DSL), and we don't have any issues with our STB's and VoD, nor games offered by COX via the STB.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #104 of 105 Old 09-17-2012, 06:29 AM

Got the amp installed and all HD channels work great! Thanks a lot for all your help!
post #105 of 105 Old 09-17-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok thanks. I had some confusion because I didn't remember the PCT-MAT2 I'm using now having any return path. I checked and of course it does, but it's just not an amplified return path like the Holland HCDA-1FRA-AG is, and they also call it a "bi-directional" amp which the PCT is not called. The PCT of course works since I'm using it now, I assume the Holland would also work, but I'm wondering if it would work any better. ? I don't guess it would since I don't use a cable modem (I have DSL), and we don't have any issues with our STB's and VoD, nor games offered by COX via the STB.
A passive return path is fine for most applications. About the only time you would want to amplify it is if there were a large number of outlets (say 16 or 40). Even if you did have a cable modem, you would want to have it connected prior to the amp.

Though most amps (all of the ones made by CATV industry manufacturers) do have a return path, it is generally passive. The potential problem with calling them bi-directional is that many people would read that as amplified in both directions.

There are also drop amps that have a passive forward path, amplifying the return path only.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page