What kind of power conditioner do I need? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-27-2009, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have the following equipment in my living room and I am considering to get a power conditioner

1.Samsung 50" DLP --> 200W
2.Onkyo TXSR805 --> ??
3. Emotiva XPA-3 --> 1300W
4. Two Polk LSi25 speakers (powered front towers)
5. SVS PC-12 NSD Subwoofer
6. Comcast Cable DVR
7. Sonos Zone Player
8. Popcorn Hour A110

Can I get some suggestions?
Also how do the following stack against each other? Apart from aesthetics what does Panamax provide me more for 2.5 times the price?

1. APC H15 --> can get one for ~170$
2. Panamax M5300-PM --> ~500$

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-28-2009, 05:35 AM

Briefly, both are good units from good companies, both provide surge protection and line filtering, both disable the power if the voltage is too high or too low. One of the main differences is that the H15 has voltage regulation whereas the 5300 does not. One may have a couple of minor features that the other does not.

For more details read this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...295&highlight=

However, after reading lots of posts, I've come to the conclusion that the first question should be: do you really need a power conditioner or would a good quality surge protector meet your needs. Many people have good stable power and a good quality surge protector such as the APC 11 like

http://www.amazon.com/APC-Outlet-237.../dp/B0012YFXSW

is all they need. BTW, I purchased the silver APC H15 at bargain price and really like the unit and use the 12 volt trigger capabilities. I'm happy with the purchase and would buy it again but didn't really need the filtering or voltage regulation in my particular location since I have very stable power.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-28-2009, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

I do not see any obvious anomalies in the picture quality but I started checking into these since I have dropped a good deal of money upgrading the living room equipment these past few months.

Thanks for the link 55sss, I did read that thread before posting this thread. I have also read a lot of other threads debating if you need the voltage conditioning.

Also, I was wondering if a single piece of either of the units I mentioned can support all the equipment I listed.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-28-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Also, I was wondering if a single piece of either of the units I mentioned can support all the equipment I listed.

Nope: You'll need at last two of them, and you'll also need two separate circuits in the house. Most of these products are rated 15 amps; at a safe yield of 100 watts per amp, one strip/device (and for that matter, one 15-amp circuit) could handle the HDTV and the power amplifier together, but no more. The HT receiver and subwoofer add up to another 10 amps minimum.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-28-2009, 01:06 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekatoka View Post

Hello,

I have the following equipment in my living room and I am considering to get a power conditioner

1.Samsung 50" DLP --> 200W
2.Onkyo TXSR805 --> ??
3. Emotiva XPA-3 --> 1300W
4. Two Polk LSi25 speakers (powered front towers)
5. SVS PC-12 NSD Subwoofer
6. Comcast Cable DVR
7. Sonos Zone Player
8. Popcorn Hour A110

Can I get some suggestions?
Also how do the following stack against each other? Apart from aesthetics what does Panamax provide me more for 2.5 times the price?

1. APC H15 --> can get one for ~170$
2. Panamax M5300-PM --> ~500$

Thanks

You can get the H15 for under $150 shipped from Audioholics...Unlikely you would need 2 unless you run at or near full power...The popcorn machine may need to be plugged into another circuit...

The H15 will tell you if it is overloaded as well as tell you exactly how much of the units capabilities are being used...See my signature and I am only at 21% of available power thru the H15...You can pay more for a power conditioner but you won't get a better unit than the UL listed APC H15...short of being a UPS version...

Toshiba CRT HD RPTV...Sony 50 disc CD player...Onkyo High Current AVR...Toshiba HD DVD player...LG Digital Tuner/Upconvert DVD player...300w 12" subwoofer...Under average everyday use I use only 21% of the power available thru the H15...Its a good thing...

EDIT...I also have a antenna amp connected to the H15...
post #6 of 7 Old 03-01-2009, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

After much debating I placed an order for APC-H15. Thanks for all the suggestions, its helped me alot
post #7 of 7 Old 03-01-2009, 11:58 AM

Liked: 32
Personally I think you made a wise choice and will be very happy...Congrats...
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page