U-Verse Audio Dropouts - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 173 Old 07-06-2009, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My DVR and two additional receivers all downloaded a major update early this morning...there are definitely some major changes. The ability to have full DVR control from any receiver for example..including scheduling recordings and deleting old ones. I love that.

I've been listening to my system tonight on the DVR connected with a toslink cable to my Integra DHC 9.9 pre amp processor..and in the hour I've had it on, not a single dropout. They may just have gotten the problem solved.

I need to switch to the HDMI audio input and see if that has 5.1 dolby digital yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 173 Old 07-06-2009, 07:04 PM

I spoke too soon...the dropouts on the toslink ARE gone, but so is the multichannel surround sound in native format. All I get on the toslink now is two channel pcm that my Integra can synthesize 5.1 or 7.7 surround from.

One step forward, two steps back. Oh..and no change in the HDMI audio...still only two channel pcm. Now the toslink is the same though
post #63 of 173 Old 07-07-2009, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by strindl View Post

I spoke too soon...the dropouts on the toslink ARE gone, but so is the multichannel surround sound in native format. All I get on the toslink now is two channel pcm that my Integra can synthesize 5.1 or 7.7 surround from.

One step forward, two steps back. Oh..and no change in the HDMI audio...still only two channel pcm. Now the toslink is the same though

I heard the update has a new sound menu option. Did you check that?
post #64 of 173 Old 07-07-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

I heard the update has a new sound menu option. Did you check that?

I saw that and looked. The update I got does not have it.
post #65 of 173 Old 07-07-2009, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I saw that and looked. The update I got does not have it.

Have you try to reboot the STB?
Menu > Option > Audio/Language > Digital Audio Output
post #66 of 173 Old 07-08-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Have you try to reboot the STB?
Menu > Option > Audio/Language > Digital Audio Output

Yes...mine does not have any menu option as you posted. I have read on other forums that there is a second firmware update that comes a few days after the first that adds that. I hope so.
post #67 of 173 Old 07-08-2009, 07:41 PM

Liked: 10
I'm so glad I found this thread. I am having the same problem with the optical cable not carrying the DD signal. It seems that it was indeed the software update from a couple days ago. I hope there is a second update that addresses the audio options because I don't have that in the menu either. I knew about the HDMI problem and while annoying, it wasn't a deal killer so long as the optical option worked. Good luck, everyone!
post #68 of 173 Old 07-08-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santino98 View Post

I'm so glad I found this thread. I am having the same problem with the optical cable not carrying the DD signal. It seems that it was indeed the software update from a couple days ago. I hope there is a second update that addresses the audio options because I don't have that in the menu either. I knew about the HDMI problem and while annoying, it wasn't a deal killer so long as the optical option worked. Good luck, everyone!

I got the second update last night..and that extra sound menu option was then there. I switched it to surround, and the toslink immediately began sending perfect Dolby Digital sound into my pre amp processor...without any dropouts
post #69 of 173 Old 07-09-2009, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got the second update last night..and that extra sound menu option was then there. I switched it to surround, and the toslink immediately began sending perfect Dolby Digital sound into my pre amp processor...without any dropouts

Thats great, how about HDMI?
post #70 of 173 Old 07-09-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:

Where are you located, strindl? I'm in Houston, TX. I hope I get the update soon.
post #71 of 173 Old 07-09-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:

Thats great, how about HDMI?

I have seen others post that the second update also fully enables DD surround over the hdmi, but I haven't been able to verify that yet. My video is routed over the hdmi and has always worked great, but I tried briefly switching the digital audio from toslink to hdmi and I wasn't getting any sound at all. I didn't have much time to spend futzing with it though. I'll have to try again later today.
post #72 of 173 Old 07-09-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santino98 View Post

Where are you located, strindl? I'm in Houston, TX. I hope I get the update soon.

I'm in Wisconsin . Have you gotten the first update that adds the ability to fully control the DVR from all receivers..including adding and deleting recordings? The second then seems to come two days later.
post #73 of 173 Old 07-18-2009, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

As the author of this thread...I have to give AT&T a thumbs up for fixing the problem....I wish it was done a little quicker...but in the end all is well...
post #74 of 173 Old 07-18-2009, 11:06 AM

Oh...and the audio works great through the hdmi now as well. Full DD 5.1 with no dropouts.
post #75 of 173 Old 07-24-2009, 07:59 PM

All, I just got U-verse on the 17th. I noticed yesterday audio drops. Tonight we watched a recorded HD program and it had audio drops all the time. Obviously I am using Optical to my A/V receiver and HDMI to my TV. Everyone seems that its fixed, but I have all of the software options and DVR controls from other rooms. Haven't called att yet, but I guess I will when I have time.

Thanks,
Philip
post #76 of 173 Old 07-24-2009, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrumer View Post

All, I just got U-verse on the 17th. I noticed yesterday audio drops. Tonight we watched a recorded HD program and it had audio drops all the time. Obviously I am using Optical to my A/V receiver and HDMI to my TV. Everyone seems that its fixed, but I have all of the software options and DVR controls from other rooms. Haven't called att yet, but I guess I will when I have time.

Thanks,
Philip

Welcome ddrumer, just wonder what STB model are you using, VIP1216 or VIP1200 or a different model?
post #77 of 173 Old 07-24-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrumer View Post

Thanks,
Philip

The firmware updates came in two waves. The first added the extra DVR functionality and the second, a few days later fixed the audio dropouts on toslink and fixed the 5.1 DD sound on the HDMI connection. Could your DVR have somehow missed that second update?
post #78 of 173 Old 07-25-2009, 05:17 AM

I don't know, does anyone know what S/W version I should have? I can look for my model number later, but it is a Cisco with the 320GB HDD.
post #79 of 173 Old 07-25-2009, 07:24 AM

Model Number is IPN4320 current S/W is 1.6.25075.1 . . . i think.
post #80 of 173 Old 07-27-2009, 09:21 AM

I got the U-verse up date a few weeks back and it seemed to correct the audio drops. I'm using a toslink from the STB to my AVR. HOWEVER..they are back and now more random than before. I also had contacted my Stetes Attorney Generals office (Missouri) and had been getting follow ups from ATT's Charles Dines. Unfortunately after a couple weeks I told him that the problem was fixed. Then it returned with a vengence! Shame on me. I am trying to re contact him on this. Any help in how to get him would be apprecciated. Big corporations..ughhhhh wwhjazz@yahoo.com
post #81 of 173 Old 07-28-2009, 07:55 AM

Up date..Yesterday,I contacted tech support regarding the "newest" version of audio drops (both 5.1 and 2.0 now)and more random, and instead of forwarding me to the "executive escalation team" level where I'd finished before the update/download that we all believed had fixed the issue I was told that they had closed the case and I would have to begin all over again at Tier 1. Total frustration. I'd spent 2 months working with ATT tech already. Does anyone here have any insite into this latest glitch in U-verse audio drop problems? Or suggestions where or who to appeal to for help?
post #82 of 173 Old 07-28-2009, 07:57 AM

see my latest post 07/28/09....let me know what tech tells you please...wwhjazz
post #83 of 173 Old 07-31-2009, 04:51 AM

I just got Uverse today and I can confirm that my VIP-1225 has the audio menu option AND passes DD 5.1 over HDMI. My 1200 also has it working over optical out. Of course, to confirm you need to make sure you are on a channel that is actually broadcasting 5.1. When I hit one, my Onkyo receiver reported "Dolby D" but I was easily able to tell without even confirming that.

Wow, amazing this was JUST implemented, I had no idea. I would have been pretty pissed about it not having this, as even Time Warner's crappy equipment does.
post #84 of 173 Old 07-31-2009, 02:06 PM

Oh and hey guess what, I've noticed those little audio dropouts too. I don't know how severe it was for some of you or if it is now better than it used to be, but for me they have been very brief hiccups (maybe a tenth of a second duration, like a pop) and happen maybe once every 20-30 minutes or so. Just guessing on the frequency as I haven't even had this on for 24 hours yet, but it's there...
post #85 of 173 Old 08-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I just got U-Verse installed Friday afternoon. It does have the digital menu, and I have surround sound selected.

I am using HDMI only now, though I had optical to my Samsung DVD/VHS combo recorder in case I ever wanted to record anything to keep, and that seems to be the only way it will get the sound, even though the regular red/white audio cables are attached as well. But as I said, I have now removed the optical and am HDMI only.

I have completely lost sound for no apparant reson a number of times when I have paused, FF, or change channels. And nothing seems to get the sound back, it just starts up again without reason??????

I am also experiencing audio dropout periodically, with no pattern that I can see. It only lasts for a blink of an eye, just sort of a loud pop, then it is back.

My biggest pain though, and I posted it on here - is the freaking LAG with the remote! Anyone else experience that too? All too often, I have to press a button numerous times before it actually does anything. Made even more frustrating when trying to do the alpho search function for a movie!
post #86 of 173 Old 08-03-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Rocky View Post

I just got U-Verse installed Friday afternoon. It does have the digital menu, and I have surround sound selected.

I am using HDMI only now, though I had optical to my Samsung DVD/VHS combo recorder in case I ever wanted to record anything to keep, and that seems to be the only way it will get the sound, even though the regular red/white audio cables are attached as well. But as I said, I have now removed the optical and am HDMI only.

I have completely lost sound for no apparant reson a number of times when I have paused, FF, or change channels. And nothing seems to get the sound back, it just starts up again without reason??????

I am also experiencing audio dropout periodically, with no pattern that I can see. It only lasts for a blink of an eye, just sort of a loud pop, then it is back.

My biggest pain though, and I posted it on here - is the freaking LAG with the remote! Anyone else experience that too? All too often, I have to press a button numerous times before it actually does anything. Made even more frustrating when trying to do the alpho search function for a movie!

I have never experienced the lag with the remote that you mentioned. My audio troubles have also completely disappeared since the second update.
I use HDMI now for my audio and video and have experienced no problems since the fix at all..no dropouts, no loss of sound. I wonder if your HDMI troubles could have something to do with the handshaking that components hooked together with an HDMI connection have to go through. The HDCP copy protection can be trouble at times and between certain components.
post #87 of 173 Old 08-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I have never experienced the lag with the remote that you mentioned. My audio troubles have also completely disappeared since the second update.
I use HDMI now for my audio and video and have experienced no problems since the fix at all..no dropouts, no loss of sound. I wonder if your HDMI troubles could have something to do with the handshaking that components hooked together with an HDMI connection have to go through. The HDCP copy protection can be trouble at times and between certain components.

The lag of the remote has lessened, somewhat. But the audio dropout through HDMI is nearly non-stop. Litterally driving me crazy even. I will have to try to contact AT&T about this, but seems their support might not be any better than TWC was
post #88 of 173 Old 08-06-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Rocky View Post

The lag of the remote has lessened, somewhat. But the audio dropout through HDMI is nearly non-stop. Litterally driving me crazy even. I will have to try to contact AT&T about this, but seems their support might not be any better than TWC was

Tech support was MUCH better with Uverse than I experienced with TWC. With Uverse I can yalk to a real amercian person in less than a minute or so. With TWC you have to sit on hold for 40 minutes or longer to speak with anyone.
post #89 of 173 Old 08-30-2009, 11:18 PM

Is anyone still experiencing random audio drops as of late August with AT&T uverse??? Please post. I'm still batling with that issue and have made many updated configurations...it seems that they just don't know.
post #90 of 173 Old 08-31-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhjazz View Post

Is anyone still experiencing random audio drops as of late August with AT&T uverse??? Please post. I'm still batling with that issue and have made many updated configurations...it seems that they just don't know.

Mine has been perfect since the second part of the firmware update.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page