Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 173 Old 08-31-2009, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhjazz View Post

Is anyone still experiencing random audio drops as of late August with AT&T uverse??? Please post. I'm still batling with that issue and have made many updated configurations...it seems that they just don't know.

Yep, I just had Uverse installed Saturday (Aug. 29) and started hearing the dropouts immediately. At first I had everything hooked up through HDMI, and assumed that it was some sort of HDCP issue so I switched to optical. Alas, the same dropouts are occuring, and may even be more frequent than they were with the HDMI cable.

I was definitely receiving DD 5.1 with HDMI, and my software version is 1.6.25075.1 (the latest I believe).

I'd also like to say that I DEFINITELY and IMMEDIATELY noticed the crushed blacks that glenned mentioned a while back. At first I thought it was my fault, as I've been screwing around with my TV's settings lately (using the Avia II disc) but what glenned mentioned is the exact thing I noticed, no shadow detail whatsoever, just dark, black blobs where at least some detail should be. I'll try the component cables, but if anyone has any other ideas I'd be happy to listen.

I came straight to AVS looking for some answers and I'm glad I found this thread. Anyone out there have any ideas that might help us out?? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 173 Old 08-31-2009, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper31 View Post

Yep, I just had Uverse installed Saturday (Aug. 29) and started hearing the dropouts immediately. At first I had everything hooked up through HDMI, and assumed that it was some sort of HDCP issue so I switched to optical. Alas, the same dropouts are occuring, and may even be more frequent than they were with the HDMI cable.

I was definitely receiving DD 5.1 with HDMI, and my software version is 1.6.25075.1 (the latest I believe).

I'd also like to say that I DEFINITELY and IMMEDIATELY noticed the crushed blacks that glenned mentioned a while back. At first I thought it was my fault, as I've been screwing around with my TV's settings lately (using the Avia II disc) but what glenned mentioned is the exact thing I noticed, no shadow detail whatsoever, just dark, black blobs where at least some detail should be. I'll try the component cables, but if anyone has any other ideas I'd be happy to listen.

I came straight to AVS looking for some answers and I'm glad I found this thread. Anyone out there have any ideas that might help us out?? Thanks in advance!

I've had U-Verse since near the start of August, and I STILL get the audio dropouts and it is driving me NUTS! Can't watch any show or movie without just about a dropout every 10 minutes or so. I had called AT&T about this, and they had sent a tech out. He found that the wiring in the wall was all messed up, so cleared that up. But I am still getting the audio dropouts and not too happy about that. I also notice that compared to TWC, the HD regular station channels are way too dark! And some even seem to be a blurry/fuzzy too red color. But HBO and other movie channels are fine, just the local HD channels.

One thing I wonder about - those who have the problems, are you using the ethernet connection or the coax connection to your box? Would that make a difference perhaps? I am using the ethernet connection and having the problems.
post #93 of 173 Old 09-20-2009, 07:07 PM

As an update..I am dealing directly with AT&T's executive escalation dept after contacting my States Atty General's office. Tier 1 and 2 tech support will only waste your time on this issue as they believe that an update in early July was a fix on this. While it did stop the drops for about a week or ten days..they came back to a large # of users (see U-talk forum 5.1 audio drop thread) and have morphed and now are more random and may affect 2.0 as well as 5.1 surround. The lab people have this and do acknowledge that it IS AN AT&T issue. So don't let any tech help lead you down a road of time wasting or believing that you may have an equipment/configuration issue. I now term the new drop 2.0 vs the old drop 1.0 This seems to mostly affect component surround users with quality AVR's of multiple brands etc. The thread at U-talk lists many of the types. They actually took my old Sony STR 1075 back and were able to duplicate it but have also read the thread and know that many many user have something going on. I have replaced that AVR with a new Yamaha and still have something happening although less dramtic..which I think is due to encoding being different..but still not right. Hopefully it will get fixed soon but this could be a major PR nightmare for AT&T in marketing what they term as "advanced TV"..let alone a possible legal situation via a class action suit. I hope it doesn't get that far but would warn against relying on them for trouble free surround sound.
Anyone wishing to pursue this further see the threat at AT&T U Talk subject 5.1 audio drop or contact me at wwhjazz@yahoo.com and I'll try to help.
post #94 of 173 Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 AM

I am new to U-verse since 9/10/2009. I had major screen freezing issue on day one. Now that is fixed and that is a whole different story but here is what I figured out form the audio drops.

My equipment:
Receiver Onkyo TX-SR607
TV Samsung UN46B7000 LED/LCD TV
Motorola VIP 1225
TV2 client version 1.6.25075.1
Platform OS/Version WinCE/5.0.1400
Bootstrap ROM 1.1207

The issue with audio drop out is the digital sound output when "surround sound" is output in Dolby Digital from the VIP1225. "Stereo" seems to be fine for me.

Switching from "surround sound" to "stereo":
On the U-verse DVR click "menu".
Scroll to to the right and select options.
Choose Audio/Language options.
Scroll down to Digital Audio output.
This is where you flip flop between Stereo and Surround Sound.

Depending on the connections and equipment you are using surround sound may or may not be supported. Most TV's cannot decode Dolby Digital surround sound.

HDMI to TV - Stereo
HDMI to receiver - Stereo or Surround
Optical to TV - Stereo
Optical to receiver - Stereo or Surround
Composite to TV or Receiver - Stereo only ("digital "does not apply to this output)

I watched Heroes from last night on the DVR. Found a spot where the audio drops out right in the beginning and used that spot to test. I then used the DVR to rewind it to the spot where it drops out for all my tests.

Sound drops out - Watching Heroes with "Surround Sound" using HDMI or Optical cables. When using "surround" my receiver shows Dolby Digital coming in and the audio drop out occurs.

No drop out - Watching Heroes with "Stereo" using HDMI or Optical cables. My receiver shows "PCM" coming in and there is no audio drop out.

No drop out - Watching Heroes using Composite audio cables setting it to stereo or surround. No matter what using these cables it outputs sound as stereo. My receiver does not show "PCM" or "Dolby Digital" coming in and there is no audio drop out.

If AT&T instructs you to use the composite audio output this is essentially the same as switching it to "Stereo" on the digital output since those do not support digital audio output. This should almost always fix the problem which is probably why they have you do this.

If you are set to output digital audio as "surround sound" and the program is not recorded in surround sound the audio comes over the digital cable as stereo anyway. You can usually tell if you do not see "Dolby Digital" on your receiver lit up, you normally see PCM.

Most HD programs are using Dolby Digital sound but not all of them. Most SD programs are just in stereo sound, actually I have not found any in Dolby Digital but I have not tried that hard either.

So the big question here is how do we convey this issue to AT&T and get it resolved? Their normal tech support cannot address an issue like this, it should have been caught in some sort of QA process internally at AT&T.

Can anyone confirm my tests?

-Dominic
post #95 of 173 Old 09-23-2009, 11:04 AM

Liked: 11
I had UVerse installed about a month ago. I noticed the audio dropouts immediately (and confirmed that it was ONLY with surround sound/DD5.1) Problem persisted with both HDMI and optical inputs. I contacted tech services, and got similar responses to those posted by wwhjazz. One tech suggested that I swap around receiver boxes. No solutions, no upgrades, nothing worked.

Yesterday I cancelled my UVerse and had the Dish installed ...

Dan
post #96 of 173 Old 09-25-2009, 07:18 PM

You're not gonna like this but I had the same issues and followed all the stupid instructions from tier 1 support during my first week with UVERSE about 5 months ago. Finally in tier 2, I was able to explain exactly what was happening and the gentleman actually heard what I said and after trying to solve it in some creative ways, he suggested I go purchase a new receiver. He said to make sure it is "dts-HD" compatable. He explained that the drop outs occur when the two devices are communicating and some regular "dts" etc. are in layman's terms talking too slow. I doubted him seriously, but said I'd give it a try (he had customer service get me $100 visa card to help with the purchase). Now the audio is great. I do, however, still have occasional video skips with recorded HD programing when viewed with the set-top boxes in the secondary rooms. Has anyone solved this yet?
post #97 of 173 Old 09-29-2009, 08:59 AM

Changing receivers is only a minor fix. I went from a 2001 Sony str1075 to a new Yamaha 665 and now the drops are less notable as in briefer in duration...but they are there.
The fact is that AT&T DOES HAVE A PROBLEM with 5.1 SS audio drops. They admit that they do not have a fix but say they are working on it.
Bottom line is if you want quality reliable audio AT&T U Verse is not the way to go in the foreseeable future. I have many many hours working with this issue and that is the sad fact.
I will be dropping them if they don't get it figured out soon!
post #98 of 173 Old 10-07-2009, 05:54 PM

Is there a way to force a firmware update or does it happen automatically?

How do I know if I have the most current update for my Uverse STB?

I have the same audio drop-out issues and I called their tech support. The rep did not have a clue of Surround sound option. They scheduled a callback (nice of them), and the new engineer told me that she had a fix for the issue. I was like, Huzzaaahhhhh!!!!!

Fix details:

1. Turn on your TV and STB

2. Got to menu options and choose the Digital Output option

3. Set the Audio output to Stereo

That's it! 3 steps and that should fix your problem!!

No exaggeration, but this is what I was told. Requested for Tier2 and they pretty much told me that its a known issue and they are working on it but no timeline for the fix.

Well......I guess that's it for me then :- I could only wish we had FIOS here!! I am told that all FIOS users seem to be pretty happy. Of course grass is greener on the other side as always, but I don't have that option :-

Almost wonder why this is not a highly talked about issue? Why do consumers not get an option to try all the services? Why are some lines owned by ATT and Verixon is not allowed to service a particualr area?

If Uverse is a truncation of Universe, I am guessing their Universe is actually shrinking...
post #99 of 173 Old 10-18-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper31 View Post

I just switched from Comcast to Uverse as of last Wednesday. I don't know if anyone else's experience is the same but I did notice the audio dropouts and the crushed blacks right away. Needless to say I was disappointed at first eventhough the interactivity is phenominal. To my surprise last night my main receiver started acting up. I shut it off and turned it back on and voila the black crush issue through HDMI was gone. I also noticed some additional menu features. Obviously my Uverse did a FW upgrade which apparently corrected the black crush issue. I can now definately say that the picture quality I'm getting blows away anything I was seeing with my Comcast service.

Note: I'm still getting the audio dropout issues but this even seems improved.
post #100 of 173 Old 10-19-2009, 10:11 AM

Audio problems can occur with U-Verse if the local station is not matching the U-Verse audio bitrate. AT&T is supposed to be informing stations of the issue. For viewers with continued issues, you might want to inquire of the station what audio they are handing off for this service.
post #101 of 173 Old 11-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Well, here it is now mid November, and I am STILL getting not only audio dropouts, but for the past 2 weeks I have had severe video lockups and screen corruption! Last night (Friday), trying to watch my recorded HD versions of Fringe (recorded Thursday night), Sanctuary, and Stargate Universe, it was barely enjoyable. Every so often the screen would FREEZE, most times with the entire screen totally pixelated, then suddenly will jump a bunch of frames. In one instance, while watching Sanctuary the lockup was SO FREAKING BAD, that when the show started working again, everything was way out of synch!!!! So bad in fact, that I would say it was over a minute out of synch. I mean I was hearing the next commercial audio halfway before the first commercial ended! Luckily, when I stopped the program, then went back into it, the synch was back to normal. But THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!

Another thing happened too, and it might have been around the time Sanctuary was recording (I was not watching TV at that time, was busy doing chores), and perhaps near the time of that major synch issue - I was on the phone (also on U-Verse) calling to order a pizza for delivery. Suddenly, the guy at the other end could no longer hear me talking. I could hear him, but for near 2 minutes he kept saying hello? Hello? Then hung up. When he called me back, we were able to talk again.

I called AT&T tech support, and they basically told me to reset both my router and PVR, and they would call me back later. I did. But when watching Airplane! on HDMovies, within 5 minutes it locked up again for a moment. And still audio dropouts every so often. This is so darn frustrating, not to mention I STILL have severe lag with controlling the PVR. It does not matter if I use the original remote, or my Logitech Harmony 1000 universal remote, the PVR fails all too often to respond. Like doing a search - I might have to press OK 4-8 times before the letter is selected! Argh!!!!!

When the tech support called back eventually, I told them there was still a problem. They said that the audio dropout was supposed to have been fixed (NOT!!!). They said they would monitor my line for a few days, and that maybe I should ask for a replacement PVR if this keeps happening. But it looks like a replacement box is not the fix, it is their SYSTEM that needs to be fixed, or a firmware update that actually works for once.

Also of note, the channel that shows Supernatural (KDAFHD here locally) is near unbearable. The audio dropouts are nearly non-stop through every episode of Supernatural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcorso View Post

The issue with audio drop out is the digital sound output when "surround sound" is output in Dolby Digital from the VIP1225. "Stereo" seems to be fine for me.

Switching from "surround sound" to "stereo":
On the U-verse DVR click "menu".
Scroll to to the right and select options.
Choose Audio/Language options.
Scroll down to Digital Audio output.
This is where you flip flop between Stereo and Surround Sound.

Depending on the connections and equipment you are using surround sound may or may not be supported. Most TV's cannot decode Dolby Digital surround sound.

HDMI to TV - Stereo
HDMI to receiver - Stereo or Surround
Optical to TV - Stereo
Optical to receiver - Stereo or Surround
Composite to TV or Receiver - Stereo only ("digital "does not apply to this output)

I watched Heroes from last night on the DVR. Found a spot where the audio drops out right in the beginning and used that spot to test. I then used the DVR to rewind it to the spot where it drops out for all my tests.

Sound drops out - Watching Heroes with "Surround Sound" using HDMI or Optical cables. When using "surround" my receiver shows Dolby Digital coming in and the audio drop out occurs.

No drop out - Watching Heroes with "Stereo" using HDMI or Optical cables. My receiver shows "PCM" coming in and there is no audio drop out.

-Dominic

You say to try setting the PVR to stereo, and that your receiver shows it as getting a PCM signal. Does that mean then, you are only really getting a stereo signal then, and that you have to rely on your receiver to use Dolby Pro Logic to simulate surround sound? If that is true, that DEFEATS the whole purpose for having HD channels and HD sound. Not acceptable!

For equipment, I bought a brand new Pioneer SC-05 receiver (not a cheap unit by far!!!) less that 7 months ago. So it is not the AVR with the problem. I use the Monoprice HDMI cables throughout my system, and have tried using both the ethernet cable and coax cable connection from the AT&T router/modem to the PVR, and still the same problems. I have even tried using the optical cable for sound out, and still dropouts.
post #102 of 173 Old 11-18-2009, 11:41 AM

I was hoping that those who are experiencing the audio dropout issue on the optical audio connection could answer some of these questions to help narrow down the use case scenarios. Any help here is appreciated.

1. What's the model number of the box? You can find it on the bottom of the set top box, usually it starts with VIP(XXXXX) or IPN (XXXXX)

2. If you have more than one model number of a box, and those boxes are both hooked up to the receiver with optical connections, do you experience the same issue on all boxes?

3. Does the issue only happen on live TV? Some have specifically stated that DVR recordings are not affected.

4 If it does happen on live TV, is it just the local affiliate channels? If so, are those the HD local channels or the standard def local channels? If it happens on the national channels (like CNN, HDnet Movies, etc), does it only occur on the HD national channels?

5. When dropouts do occur, can you tell if your receiver loses the actual signal by resyncing or momentarily losing an illuminated symbol that designates surround, 5.1 or Dolby Digital, etc?

6. In what city (or major metropolitan area) are you receiving the Uverse service?

5. The source signal of the audio can be 5.1 or 2.0 on a specific channel. Do dropouts occur on both types of sources or just the 5.1 source? (Don't confuse this with the system setting of surround or stereo.)

You may not be able to detemine the source signal of the audio, so no worries. But answers to the other specific questions above would be much appreciated.
post #103 of 173 Old 11-22-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheninaustin View Post

I was hoping that those who are experiencing the audio dropout issue on the optical audio connection could answer some of these questions to help narrow down the use case scenarios. Any help here is appreciated.

1. What's the model number of the box? You can find it on the bottom of the set top box, usually it starts with VIP(1216) or IPN (XXXXX)

>>> My box is a VIP-1226

2. If you have more than one model number of a box, and those boxes are both hooked up to the receiver with optical connections, do you experience the same issue on all boxes?

>>> Only one box hooked to AV Receiver via optical (component video to TV).

3. Does the issue only happen on live TV? Some have specifically stated that DVR recordings are not affected.

>>> Only seen on Live TV.

4 If it does happen on live TV, is it just the local affiliate channels? If so, are those the HD local channels or the standard def local channels? If it happens on the national channels (like CNN, HDnet Movies, etc), does it only occur on the HD national channels?

>>> Seen on locals and on CNN, Showtime, etc. I only watch HD channels. May be somewhat program material dependent. Dropouts were very very frequent on Thanksgiving night Texas vs. Texas A&M game on ESPN HD but far less on Broncos vs. Giants on NFL TV.

5. When dropouts do occur, can you tell if your receiver loses the actual signal by resyncing or momentarily losing an illuminated symbol that designates surround, 5.1 or Dolby Digital, etc?

>>> My receiver, Sony STR-DG910, is likely re-syncing. It has a text display that scrolls "Dolby Digital 3/2.1" then returns to displaying the input name. I hear the glitch first then see the receiver scroll "Dolby Digital 3/2.1".

6. In what city (or major metropolitan area) are you receiving the Uverse service?

>>> Austin, TX

5. The source signal of the audio can be 5.1 or 2.0 on a specific channel. Do dropouts occur on both types of sources or just the 5.1 source? (Don't confuse this with the system setting of surround or stereo.)

>>> Typically 5.1 but it also happens on 2.0. It keeps occurring today on HBO sending 2/0 (Jaws).

You may not be able to determine the source signal of the audio, so no worries. But answers to the other specific questions above would be much appreciated.

>>> Thanks for looking into this. I never had this problen with TW using an SA box (same receiver). Contact me if your need more info.

>>> Regards, Bob (HGN736)
post #104 of 173 Old 11-26-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:

1. What's the model number of the box? You can find it on the bottom of the set top box, usually it starts with VIP(XXXXX) or IPN (XXXXX)

VIP1225- Brand New Box

Only one box attached

Live and recorded. When I "rewind" a recording multiple times the drop is in the identical spot each time.

Only happens on HD channels, but occurs on local and national channels. My AVR processes HD audio as DD. My AVR processes standard channels as ProLogic, which may be why it is not happening on them.

I can't tell but I definitely do not lose the DD illumination but the drop in audio is very brief.

Olathe, Kansas... Kansas City suburb

I can't tell what the source is on my system.

You may not be able to detemine the source signal of the audio, so no worries. But answers to the other specific questions above would be much appreciated.

Be glad to help out in any other way to resolve this issue. Long time Comcast customer using this same setup with Motorola HD DVR and no issues although my Comcast STB audio had been a digital Coax output, not optical. Your STB obviously does not provide this option. Has anybody tried a cheap $15 optical to DigCoax converter to see if that makes a difference? Can't imagine it would but would be a cheap experiment. I don't have one or would do it myself. Thanks.
Joe
post #105 of 173 Old 11-30-2009, 08:51 AM

Just a quick note to thank you for your input. I'm actively working on the issue and we might be closer to a root cause soon. I'll update this thread when I have more info, but wanted to let you know that we're reading the info and trying to find root cause.
post #106 of 173 Old 11-30-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Just a quick note to thank you for your input. I'm actively working on the issue and we might be closer to a root cause soon. I'll update this thread when I have more info, but wanted to let you know that we're reading the info and trying to find root cause.

I was looking back through some of the history on this issue both here and on Uverse site, where much more is available. I see that the optical/coax converter does not resolve the issue, as I suspected, so scratch that idea. The one thing that struck me was that the AVRs having drops seem to have Texas Instruments DSP chips, the Aureus line usually, either singly or multiple chips. The AVRs that work, understandably few and far between on forum such as this, appear to have chips designed by someone else. Perhaps someone should take up this issue with TI. Is it some interface problem between motorola and the TI DSP?
post #107 of 173 Old 12-20-2009, 01:35 PM

I just now discovered a very long thread on U-Verse user's forum regarding the 5.1 audio dropout problem. Looks like UVerse is just now admitting that they have an real issue

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/mes...ending&page=96

Here is a copy of a post from November 09:

My update. I spoke with Exec Escalation today and they have heard back from the labs who "Are in Agreement" that this is a wide spread and large enough issue to merit being moved to the highest level of priority for a fix. I have been told that was done yesterday. The procedure as I understood it (basically) is that the labs will be testing various AVR's to see if a new software update that is designed to fix this issue actually does. Whether or not they will be "borrowing" components from random customers (as they did with me) or buying them is not sure,but this action appears somewhat promising. I was also told that they have met with Dolby this week to discuss this problem. I'm sure that at this point no one can predict exactly when a fix can be seen. But it is encouraging that they do have a software client ,rollout that was due to be introduced next year, and if that fixes this after testing they may be able to move much more quickly.

I think that this is primarily a surround sound component related problem and even though a few folks have had audio issues who have not been using SS Dolby 5.1 that may be a coincidence. Still worth digging into for a fix. I personally have two systems.One conventional STB.-.HDMI.-.TV with no drops ever. The other well......That is the sad and long suffering story. Well documented. And shared by many others.

I am somewhat encouraged after today's feedback. I do commend the people who I've personally dealt with at AT&T for a good level of professionalism and courtesy. Now let's get a fix!

..and another copy of a post:

I have had the surround 5.1 drops from day one, when I started U-verse in May, 2009. My setup is HDMI cable to TV, and tsolink (optical) cable to a SONY AVR. I have had AT&T techs out here many times, changing out the Cisco STB, RG, and cables. Since reading this blog and my experience, I have come to the conclusion this is definitely a hardware/software design problem. It may be in the Cisco/Motorola STB, Microsoft Media plaftorm or U-verse area. It appears to be a loss of sync with audio 5.1 packets, and a re-sync to correct the problem, resulting in the 1/2 second hicup.

I am a retired AT&T manager that has worked on many complex problems on switches and systems in the AT&T long distance and local network. When I worked on software and hardware problems, we had direct contact with AT&T Bell Labs software engineers who wrote and supported the software. This audio problem appears to me to be a relatively easy fix, and I am amazed that it has gone on for almost two years, with denials and lack of communication in the AT&T technical support setup. We never let a problem like this fester very long before we fixed it. Sometimes, when the problem was escalated to Executive attention, things got fixed real fast.

I too am fed up with the song-and-dance response to this problem. It should have been fixed over a year ago. It is causing loss of customers and people demanding rebates.

I have given up having techs come out to my house to wholesale changeout equipment. They can change out equipment every day and never fix the design problem. It is costing AT&T large expenses for truck rolls, rebates, and lost customers. It is cheaper for AT&T to fix the problem.

I have U450, 18 MB internet, and VoIP, with retiree discount. Everything else is working fine. U-verse is a great product. The video picture on SD and HD is far better than Comcast. Comcast will need to upgrade their network to IPTV in the next five years at great expense or lose business to the new technology.

Today, I talked to both Tier 1 & 2 technical support supervisors. I pointed them to this blog, with over 1000 complaints, and asked for a fix. They both knew of the problem, and said a fix is in the works for 1Q10. At least they now admit to the problem. Before I got denial and "you are the first compaint." Start from ground zero. Oh yeah!

The supervisors suggested that I write a paper letter to AT&T Executive Offices to put more heat on the issue. Emails are ineffective; old fashioned signed letters from customers appear to matter.

Everyone can help by writting a letter, and can call Billing to get $5 or $10 off your monthly bill until this problem is fixed. Loss of revenue talks, and pressure on executives helps. Send your letter to:

Randall Stephenson, AT&T CEO, President & Chairman

308 S. Akard Street, Suite 110.C8

Dallas, TX 75202

I hope this info helps fix this annoying problem.
post #108 of 173 Old 04-05-2010, 11:30 AM

Has anyone had problems with audio dropout lately? Mine had been working fine for months, but just in the last week it has started dropping out again. I wonder if it has anything to do with the 3HD 1SD role out (software)?
post #109 of 173 Old 04-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgreat View Post

Has anyone had problems with audio dropout lately? Mine had been working fine for months, but just in the last week it has started dropping out again. I wonder if it has anything to do with the 3HD 1SD role out (software)?

Now that you mention it, I have been getting not only a few audio dropouts again, but also my recorded shows/movies pixelating and/or locking up then suddenly FF past a few moments of video.

Also, I am STILL having massive lag between button presses and the box taking the commands. And now I have the Harmony ONE remote, so I 100% know it is not the remote having an issue, but the Motorola 1225 box. If only I could get done with the shows recorded so as to ask to try out the Cisco made box.........

I also wonder if this might have an impact on our problems? I got a letter the other day from some law firm. Seems I am part of a large class action lawsuit against AT&T for them LYING about their U-Verse Internet speeds!!!!! I have been paying for 18, but it never seems to get up to that speed. The class action states that they have either been limiting speeds in the background, or just not flat out providing the speed you are paying for. Hmmmmm

Oh, and what do you mean about the 3HD/1SD rollout? Does this mean we can soon watch/record 3HD and 1SD at the same time now?
post #110 of 173 Old 04-06-2010, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Rocky View Post

Oh, and what do you mean about the 3HD/1SD rollout? Does this mean we can soon watch/record 3HD and 1SD at the same time now?

Hi WRX_Rocky, I recently upgraded to 3HD/1SD in Feb.
You can read it here at att Utalk Forum.
Also see the AT&T U-verse HDTV Thread page 88 post 2632.
post #111 of 173 Old 04-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi WRX_Rocky, I recently upgraded to 3HD/1SD in Feb.
You can read it here at att Utalk Forum.
Also see the AT&T U-verse HDTV Thread page 88 post 2632.

I went and looked around there, but don't seem to grasp what they were talking about. They mention something about a 35/2 (profile???), but I can't seem to find that in my system specs.

Also, last night when I got home from work and went to watch my recorded LOST episode, the sound was HORRIBLE!!!!! It sounded all raspy and muffled like it was coming out of one of those old time outdoor theater car door speaker boxes. I checked a few other shows recorded the same day, and even a few live channels, and they ALL sounded that way. I set the audio to stereo, and it improved. Set it back to digital surround and it was horrible again. It was totally unbearable to listen to, argh!!!!

Later on though, after watching LOST in stereo mode, I set it back to digital and the audio was back to normal. Boy am I getting TIRED of the crap happening with my U-Verse! Audio dropouts, video freezing, pixelation, scene skipping, and worst of all that frustrates me to no end = the massive LAG with the controls and any remote I use (the stock UV, Harmony 1000, and my new Harmony ONE). I never had these problems with the Time Warner system, but due to many "other" reasons I never want to go back to them. And DTV is not an option, as I cannot get their dish installed where I live.
post #112 of 173 Old 04-07-2010, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Rocky View Post

I went and looked around there, but don't seem to grasp what they were talking about. They mention something about a 35/2 (profile???), but I can't seem to find that in my system specs.

Both Utalk and ATT post (#2632) I reference has a link to click on to check current rate download and upload speed. You'll need the password from the sticker on the side/bottom of the UVerse RG.

Or you can follow my post at Utalk (about 8 or 9 post down from the top) with texasguy37 on how I was able to get 3HD/1SD (page 13 - 15 with followup post on page 16).
post #113 of 173 Old 04-08-2010, 06:38 PM

Hey Rocky,

I have the same issue - muffled voices, kind of raspy sound. I find it happens on most of my HD Networks (ABC, CBS,FOX. etc). Had a service person come out today and swapped boxes. No help

They told me the same crap they tell everyone else: use stereo or use RCA cables.

B.S.!!! I did not pay all my hard earned money for a decent system to play it in stereo. Apparently this issue has been going on for years. Well if they cant get their systems together, the best thing to do is to vote with your money.

I Canceled my ATT and have TWC coming tomorrow to install cable.
post #114 of 173 Old 04-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopfletch View Post

Hey Rocky,

I have the same issue - muffled voices, kind of raspy sound. I find it happens on most of my HD Networks (ABC, CBS,FOX. etc). Had a service person come out today and swapped boxes. No help

They told me the same crap they tell everyone else: use stereo or use RCA cables.

B.S.!!! I did not pay all my hard earned money for a decent system to play it in stereo. Apparently this issue has been going on for years. Well if they cant get their systems together, the best thing to do is to vote with your money.

I Canceled my ATT and have TWC coming tomorrow to install cable.

Well, the grass is not always greener, or the PQ, or the AQ, or the I-Net speed, or the HD selection, or the........

When I was back in SoCal (oh why oh why did I EVER move???????) I had DirecTV HD, Cox Cable Internet, and regular AT&T pots phone. All was well in the world (for ME) for the most part. Though I was one of the lucky ones who's early $900 DVR (I bought my own) had a bad HDMI port (but that is another, and OLD story). The hell began when I moved to Texas, and not just the weather. Turned out the 5LNB dish I was using in SoCal would not fit and see the sky on my apartment's patio. Nor does the apartment complex allow bolting on of dishes (though some have recently done this!!!). So I had to scramble and decide what to do. The complex was already pre-wired for TWC, so I got the whole package. In LESS THAN A YEAR, I had to replace the cable modem 5 times!!!!! Lost my phone service 50 times. Pretty much had to reboot the #@^%$ modem twice daily!!! And never ever got the Internet speed I was paying for. I kept waiting for FIOS, but instead the complex brought in U-Verse. As you can tell, I eagerly changed the very next day it was in here.

As I play a ton of online games, I ordered the 18mb speed. I rarely get it (got a letter last week saying I am in on a class action against AT&T about this, not knowing it was happening), but it is still more reliable and faster than TWC. I have never had to reboot the modem yet! And my phone only had 1 time it was out. So those parts I have enjoyed U-Verse. BUT!!!! Where I never had a problem with the TWC TV portion, this U-Verse has been a nightmare!!!!! Audio dropouts, video freeze or pixelation/corruption, laggy control response (this irks me the MOST!!!!!!!), all too often when I go to play a recorded show the screen is BLANK too. Trying to play it a number of times it is still blank, with no FF or pause working. Then all of a sudden it WILL play! Go Figure?

If I could do things over, . . . . . . if I did not move in to the other apt complex that was wired for FIOS, then I would try again to get DirecTV for TV, U-Verse for Internet, and either use my cell phone only, or get the regular (pots???) AT&T for my home phone. I think in that other post, come to think about it; it was mentioned that this would be cheaper than getting the whole U-Verse package? Perhaps I should check is anything has changed with the policy towards sat dishes! Cause out of all the choices, I had the best of everything when I was using DirecTV! But TWC will never have me as a customer ever again!!!!!
post #115 of 173 Old 05-07-2010, 11:27 AM

Today is my twelfth call to AT&T for sound dropping on HDMI and they are coming out again today. I have had U-verse for two years and had a similar problem when it was installed but it was both sound and video. So, I have the same problem back and the entire screen will freeze. The DVR records the degradation in sound too. My set used to work through HDMI. Now, it is not. I have been told that there are dropped packets, jitter, and noise on the line. I don't think that is going to fix it after reading your post. The tech solution is to change out the HDMI to component cables (digital vs. analog). That is rubber gloves for leaking fountain pens! Totally unacceptable. I think I will be joining you in the pursuit of legal solutions. The manager for the guy that tore my wiring apart will not call back, of course!
post #116 of 173 Old 05-07-2010, 11:32 AM

Today is my twelfth call to AT&T for sound dropping on HDMI and they are coming out again today. I have had U-verse for two years and had a similar problem when it was installed but it was both sound and video. So, I have the same problem back and the entire screen will freeze. The DVR records the degradation in sound too. My set used to work through HDMI. Now, it is not. I have been told that there are dropped packets, jitter, and noise on the line. I don't think that is going to fix it after reading your post. The tech solution is to change out the HDMI to component cables (digital vs. analog). That is rubber gloves for leaking fountain pens! Totally unacceptable. I think I will be joining you in the pursuit of legal solutions. The manager for the guy that tore my wiring apart will not call back, of course!
post #117 of 173 Old 05-10-2010, 01:09 PM

I too have been having many of the issues described in the this thread.

I installed Uverse in January of 2010, around mid February I started to have sound issues. The sound would just suddenly go out for a split second and come back on. I have also had issues with the picture freezing and pixelation, but this does not coincide with the sound issue.

My connections are as follows:
The main box with the DVR is connected to the gateway using cat5 then runs HDMI into my Yamaha receiver and connects to the TV. The yamaha receiver uses HDMI switching. HDMI is rated for 1080p. Second television run to the TV via RGB cable.

Since the issue I have had 7 tech to my home, plus 2 that did not show. I have had the following replaced 3 times, all wiring including RGB and HDMI, both receivers and the gateway. I have enven switch the boxes around and the issue still exists. The primary box has the audio output set as surround sound and the seocndary (non dvr) is set to stereo. Additionally they have also replaced the DSLIM twice.

the issue also exists on my DVR recordings, so I know the issue is not with in the home.

I have contacted the AT&T Executive Office and filed a complaint. I think they are sick of dealing with me as they are starting to get very short with me on the telephone. However, if you want to contact them their phone number 1-800-451-3106. There are open Monday through Friday from 8a - 5p Central Standard Time.
post #118 of 173 Old 05-10-2010, 01:20 PM

some more info:

AT&T CEO contact info:

Randall Stephenson
rs2982@att.com
andall.stephenson@att.com
phone: 210-351-5401 (direct to his secretary)
fax 210-351-3553
alternate phone: 210-821-4105 (headquarters, press 3, ask for Mr. Stephenson's office)
175 E. Houston
San Antonio, TX 78205
post #119 of 173 Old 05-10-2010, 04:56 PM

I've had ATT U-Crap for over 8 months now and when I first had it installed in my living room to my Samsung HD TV, I encountered the same audio dropping out issue that has been reported on this forum. I called ATT and was told by one of the Tier II techs that "it is a known issue within AT&T with a particular chip set and was being worked on. No ETA on any sort of fix although it might not be a s/w first but would require a h/w swap out, either the whole receiver or the chip set!" I'm not sure if this information has been passed on here but it sure does tick me off when I pay for a pay-perview in HD and experience the audio drop off! Seems like there should be some sort of credit! No comment from ATT....YET!
post #120 of 173 Old 05-23-2010, 12:05 AM

It's been going on for over 2 years. Don't hold your breath for a fix. AT&T is about as shady as they come. I seriously doubt they're even working on it at all, or even care. They release "fixes" that are lies. I think they just add it in to all of their updates to make it look like they're trying to fix it.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page