U-Verse Audio Dropouts - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 173 Old 05-22-2012, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How is the 2550 working out? I had Uverse a couple years ago and switched today from DirecTV. Now, I have audio dropout like crazy. Looks like this issue has been going on for a LONG time. They gave me a VIP1200

I also have an Onkyo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper74 View Post

Hey, kingrsol and MonkeyPoke (and anyone else who has gotten the newer VIP2550):

Are you connecting it to an Onkyo receiver? I've been dealing with the 1225 for a while, and got tired of the choppy audio when forgetting to switch the box from surround to stereo. A 2550 is on its way and if anyone else is using this with an Onkyo, I'd love to hear how it is working out for you.

I found this thread after much frustration and am relieved to hear of the newer box. Here's hoping..

Thanks, everyone for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 173 Old 06-07-2012, 06:19 AM

Liked: 13
I just had Uverse installed. U450 package , 4 tv's. I have a Cisco 4320 dvr, and Cisco receivers for the other 3 tv's. I have no audio drop outs while watching live tv , on demand, or recordings.
post #153 of 173 Old 06-07-2012, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by osu fan View Post

I just had Uverse installed. U450 package , 4 tv's. I have a Cisco 4320 dvr, and Cisco receivers for the other 3 tv's. I have no audio drop outs while watching live tv , on demand, or recordings.

The drop outs were mostly in 5.1 mode, Its much better now...99% better !
Only Palladia music channel in 5.1 is still the worse and never was fix in the two years I had HD U-V service.
Could only enjoy Palladia in analog. Its rare for a drop out in analog, but it does happen..
I canceled the Palladia music channel when att bumped the price up from 5 to 7 bucks..
The HD PQ is better than, and the pricing is afew cents less than comcast...
post #154 of 173 Old 09-23-2012, 02:49 PM

I am a brand new U-Verse subscriber and immediately noticed these dropouts. More specifically my wife pointed them out to me when she tried to watch Project Runway on Lifetime. (Apparently the worst offender as they always broadcast in DD 2.1) To make a long story short after testing different stations, swapping HDMI and TOSlink audio connections, swapping tuners from one room to another, testing network connections and 4 phone calls to tech support I can relay the following information from ATT regarding this issue.

There is a known issue with ALL channels broadcasting in Dolby Digital 2.1 at any time (which explains why I notice it on HBO HD in between shows/movies but not during). None of the tuners/DVRs ATT do/will offer can/will resolve this issue. It affects both outputs that support surround, TOSlink and HDMI. The backend equipment relaying the signals to your network do not handle DD 2.1 properly causing packet loss, therefore causing audio dropouts or skipping, applying to both live and recorded shows. There is no fix now. There is no fix in the works. There will probably never be a fix. This issue has only been reported by a very small percentage of customers and has existed since the beginning of U-Verse. The only way not to encounter it is to either never watch anything in DD 2.1 or switch the digital audio setting on the tuner/DVR to Stereo and not Surround.

The rep who assisted me on the final phone call to tech support which lasted almost 2 hours, much of it on hold, told me this after apparently speaking to his supervisors, supervisor in engineering. He offered me a $15 discount on my monthly bill permanently and said he would not blame me if I canceled the service, but hoped I didn't.

I have not decided whether to cancel yet. Almost all the TV I watch is recorded and is in DD 5.1 which actually sounds really good. I don't watch sports and my wife doesn't care about surround as long as there is no skipping. She can switch the DVR to stereo when need be. Time will tell if this becomes a deal breaker.

So apparently this issue will never be corrected. Not sure it has to be.

Just an FYI for anyone that encounters this issue and reads this thread.

Thanks to AVS Forums for existing and helping us all share this type of information!

David
post #155 of 173 Old 09-23-2012, 03:26 PM

Liked: 32
We use a sound bar 95% of the time, and never notice the dropouts with our Cisco IPN7500. Same when we have the Denon AV receiver on. Every now and then, you get a "Hic-Up", but it is only maybe once or twice and that is it. We never hear it on the STB in our bedroom. As for 2.1, it is not Dolby Digital. Your tv will state DD, due to if you have Surround instead of Stereo on the UVerse receiver, but is not in Surround, if the program was not done in surround.
post #156 of 173 Old 09-29-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 149
The problems here are prefect examples of the old adage, "trying to some save money can be very expensive". U-Verse uses poor technology and it is the cheapest cable service on the planet!! (and people wonder why they are having problems)?

I like to save a buck like anyone and actually had it installed. I had it all taken out (7 TVs in my house) before the installer finished the install. Pure crap, problematic picture and they had a bandwidth limit on how many HDTVs I could have powered on at once.. I couldn't believe it!

The only meaningful advice here would be to switch to another service provider.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #157 of 173 Old 10-01-2012, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have the audio drop outs as well, although they have gotten better over the past 4 months, maybe only 2-3 dropouts per day now.

My real problem is with HD quality. 7Mbits per HD stream... awful. I went from a 40" LCD to the LG 55" 7600 to the Samsung 60" EH6000 (looking for the perfect TV). The 55" made the channels look pretty bad, the 60" makes most HD channels look like SD, and when there is a LOT of information going on in the scene, FORGET it- all blocky/microblocking.

I'm going to try a plasma- either ST50 or GT50, but I'm thinking I may have to back down to the 55" again because of the crap quality.

Will they ever up the bitrate???? I would get satellite in a heart beat but I have no line of sight in my APT location (can't mount on roof).

Office - Onkyo 506, AV123 X-LS Encore Monitors
Living Room -Panasonic 60ST60, Onkyo 707, Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 LCR
Car - Arc Audio Black 6.2; Arc Audio KS 2500.1, 300.4, 300.2; Audison BitOne; (2) Arc Audio Black 12 v2
post #158 of 173 Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 AM

maybe they'll go to h.265 and that will save the quality of the product. at least, even with their bandwidth numbers, the picture should be great quality...
post #159 of 173 Old 10-01-2012, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by samgreat View Post

maybe they'll go to h.265 and that will save the quality of the product. at least, even with their bandwidth numbers, the picture should be great quality...

Would they have to give out new equipment for that, or just install a different software algorithm?

Office - Onkyo 506, AV123 X-LS Encore Monitors
Living Room -Panasonic 60ST60, Onkyo 707, Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 LCR
Car - Arc Audio Black 6.2; Arc Audio KS 2500.1, 300.4, 300.2; Audison BitOne; (2) Arc Audio Black 12 v2
post #160 of 173 Old 10-02-2012, 01:28 PM

That is a $mill question that I don't know the answer to. I'd like to know the answer to that myself. If new hardware is required, maybe it could be rolled out incrementally?
post #161 of 173 Old 01-28-2013, 12:07 PM

Is anybody still having audio dropouts every few minutes with a ATT UVerse DVR? I have the DVR paired with a Denon AVR-3312CI receiver and Energy 5.1 speakers and all connected via HDMI. The XBOX and Blu Ray has inputs have absolutely no dropouts but with the CBL/SAT input, randomly (every 3-4 minutes) there is a dropout for about 3-4 seconds.

I tried another receiver (Denon 1913) to eliminate the receiver as the source of the problem but still the same issue so it's definitely not the receiver. I have also tried replacing all the HDMI cables (DVR->Denon, Denon->TV) and still the same frown.gif

I have the Motorola VIP1216 DVR and it seems to have the firmware updates described earlier in the thread...because under MENU->OPTIONS->AUDIO-> I see it set to surround sound audio and on my receiver display I can see it mention Dolby Digital.

Could this be a bad DVR? I've had it for about 4+ years.
post #162 of 173 Old 01-28-2013, 12:40 PM

I have been through several receivers of late and was having problems with every one of them with the ATT U-Verse 1225 box and Dolby Digital 2.0 programs audio dropping out every 5 seconds or so. Found a thread on the same problem and talked to a tech at ATT "Tier 2" support... they know of the problem and sent me a Motorola VIP2250 that solved the problem... the old technology of the 1225 series is outdated. smile.gif
post #163 of 173 Old 07-31-2013, 12:25 PM

I've had this problem on various channels when the surround 'kicks in'.
I tried swapping boxes from other rooms with the same results. Onkyo tx 609 HDMI cables.
Recently I have had the time to setup my older onkyo TX 504 but this is an older unit w/o hdmi. The sounds is fine on the effected channels.
Next I'm going to try to use the rca inputs to see if that fixes my 609.
post #164 of 173 Old 07-31-2013, 12:59 PM

Its your cable box.
post #165 of 173 Old 07-31-2013, 01:23 PM

But the 'good' one plugged in with hdmi does the drop outs. I swapped them to test before. using the rca cables I get no dropouts. I'm going to try rca on the one that is messing up next.
post #166 of 173 Old 07-31-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli nut View Post

But the 'good' one plugged in with hdmi does the drop outs. I swapped them to test before. using the rca cables I get no dropouts. I'm going to try rca on the one that is messing up next.
I had the same problem, using HDMI. I got a different box and it fixed the problem.
post #167 of 173 Old 07-31-2013, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Was it only on selected channels? or across the board (all channels)
post #168 of 173 Old 07-31-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli nut View Post

Thanks for the heads up. Was it only on selected channels? or across the board (all channels)
Just some channels, I got a different model number box. I think if you go into the settings in the cable box and change it to stereo or something it will go away. Then change it back to surround it comes back.
post #169 of 173 Old 08-16-2013, 07:44 AM

I realize this is an old post but did the newer box fix the issue? Thanks!
post #170 of 173 Old 08-16-2013, 08:58 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisan View Post

I realize this is an old post but did the newer box fix the issue? Thanks!
Been discussed in this thread, and over at forums.att.com. Yes the newer generation of boxes have fixed the audio dropouts. Only thing it cannot fix, is when the broadcaster has the problem on their end.
post #171 of 173 Old 08-27-2013, 06:05 PM

Liked: 12
Hello all - I am a new ATT Uverse subscriber after coming from DirecTV. I would have preferred to stay with DirecTV, but for many different reasons am unable to do that currently and am locked into using ATT Uverse.

I wanted to share something that I have discovered and which via internet research seems to be a common problem for many like myself. ATT Uverse has a known issue that causes the inability to receive Dolby digital audio via HD channels when using an HDMI connection (SD channels work fine, there is simply no audio or dropped audio for HD channels). I was flabbergasted (don't use that word often!) that this issue exists. I mean, c'mon ATT - this is *vital* functionality for today's technology and a superior user experience!

There are two common solutions to this (among others no doubt), however both common solutions come with serious drawbacks. The first is to simply use "Stereo" sound via the ATT menu options. Unfortunately, this is a horrible solution as that means you are reduced to 2 channel PCM audio and lose any surround sound or other Dobly digital capabilities with your sound system. While lossless 2 channel stereo sound may be ideal for music only, it isn't ideal for much else and particularly not a good solution for any home theater setup. The second common option is to simply use an Optical TOSlink cable from the ATT receiver directly to your sound system. The problem here is that many sound systems may not have an optical input and/or this requires a more complex setup with technical considerations for volume control and input selection. Furthermore, you may need any existing optical inputs for other devices which take priority. Per many communications with ATT - they claim they are working on a "fix", but research indicates this "fix" has been in the works for 4 years. I'm not optimistic that they will fix this problem. Furthermore, I've confirmed via my testing and research that this is clearly *their* issue. Well, I'm here to say there is a third option I have discovered.

I recently purchased an OPPO BDP-103 Blu-ray player. This is a great device in many different ways beyond only Blu-ray. You can run HDMI video/audio into the OPPO and it will output that AV to your television. Now - this is the freaking great news - using the HDMI in on the OPPO, I'm getting Dolby (and surround) to my Television (which has an optical out going to the sound system). This is HUGE for me and I'm extremely happy. On another positive note - my initial impression is that the OPPO does a better job upscaling Uverse content than my Panasonic ZT60 (ATT HD is only 720p). I'm still going to do some testing on the video upscaling with A/B testing, but to my eye and with my initial impression - it is superior via the OPPO (output is set to AUTO on the OPPO and per status information it is upscaling from 720p@60Hz to 1080p@60Hz).

My recommendation for those with the ATT Uverse HD audio issue (and who have not already found a good solution) is to buy an OPPO. This rerouting of the HDMI may work with other devices - but that OPPO is pretty incredible in its own right and I can confirm this player successfully resolves this issue. Please know that I am not promoting any product - only describing what product helped me resolve the issue for me - it is very possible that other devices could provide the same solution.
wiznillyp likes this.
post #172 of 173 Old 10-07-2013, 10:30 PM

I just want to say that kaffen is spot on.  I use optical audio now on my 1225 box and no longer experience the audio cutting out.

Luckily, I have an ONKYO receiver that allows me to select the audio stream for each input. To do this, I connected both an HDMI and TOSLINK optical cable from my U-Verse DVR to my receiver and used the OSD on my receiver to set the audio stream for my CBL/SAT input to Optical 1.

Works like a charm.

However, I do have an interesting observation that I would like to make (and I really do not understand)...

All live TV and DVR recordings (made after the audio fix) work fine, but DVR recordings before the fix have the audio problems.  It seems weird because I do not think HDMI would be used at all for a program that I was not watching at the time of the recording. Any one have any theories about this?

Thanks kaffen!

post #173 of 173 Old 11-26-2013, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
My brother has had the audio dropout issue for years. He works for ATT (in the business phone division) and was one of the first to have U-Verse installed in his home on the west coast. For the first year or two he simply connected the hdmi cable to his display and set the ATT box to output Stereo. He had no audio dropouts. When he finally bought a surround sound receiver (Denon 1610) and connected everything up the audio dropouts appeared. They are present with all digital programming whether it be hdmi or optical. The only fix for him is stereo analog cables. ATT has been to his house several times over the years without any knowledgable solution. It's been a while though since he has basically given up.

I'm going to his house for Thanksgiving and will check the model of his box. Maybe a replacement is in order.The OPPO fix sounds good but he will never spend $500+ on a BR player. Does anybody have any idea what other device to route the hdmi signal through to stop the dropouts? I've skimmed over this thread but are there any other things that can be tried? Thanks.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page