Help, HDMI distribution amp kills my signal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-02-2009, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for some help or suggestions on solving a problem I'm having with my newly wired system. I've been lurking here for a while, but this is my first post.

I am trying to distribute the video signal from my Motorola HD DVR box (Verizon FiOS) to my bedroom, living room and eventually kitchen. I purchased a 1x4 HDMI distribution amplifier from ebay because I'm working on a budget and hoped a cheap amp wouldn't cause any problems (maybe I was wrong ).

My problem occurs when running my HD signal through the powered splitter (link below)
The picture displayed on my tv appears to only be in a single color (magenta) and there is no sound. I'm not sure if the problem has to do with the splitter itself, the distance of the run, the gauge of the hdmi cables, or something else.

Here are the details of the run:

FiOS hd dvr --3ft/24AWG HDMI--> 1x4 Distribution amp --1.5ft/28awg HDMI--> HDMI keystone --> 90 degree port saver --45ft/24awg HDMI--> 90 degree port saver --> HDMI keystone --1.5ft/28awg HDMI--> Sony Bravia KDL-40V3000

Note: The picture and sound are perfect when I remove the 1x4 amp from the picture.
I know I have a lot of connections in there, but I wanted a clean wallplate and the port savers were a must due to limited space between the walls. I want to either try getting thicker gauge HDMI cables feeding into the amp and from the amp into the wallplate, or try an HDMI repeater/booster. My concern with the repeater is that most suggest putting the AFTER the long run (not that 45ft is that long), not before it. I would put it at the input of the amplifier to prevent needing to buy a repeater for each destination.
The last resort will probably be getting a new 1x4 amp unless someone believes it might be defective.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Mike

1x4 Powered HDMI splitter: http://cgi.ebay.com/HDMI-1x4-Mini-4-...3286.m20.l1116
HDMI Keystone: http://www.microbarn.com/details.aspx?rid=102164
90 degree port saver: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
45ft HDMI cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-02-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It sounds like you have a defective part. I know no suprise. To trouble shoot the problem you need to set up a test system with a source, cable(s), distribution part and a TV. Start simple and connect the source to the TV using each cable that you have to prove that aoo are OK. Then check out each component one at a time to verify the components operation. Also check out each output of the distribution amp when it is connected. Good luck.
John
post #3 of 10 Old 04-02-2009, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
45feet is about the maximum for HDMI.
If the signal is not strong enough at the end of the run amplify the poor quality will just give you a stronger poor quality signal. You would need to put it at the begining or in the middle of the 45 foot run.
If the powered splitter was tested and certified by the HDMI test lab then I would not suspect it to be the problem. If it is not certified then it's output strength or spec complience is probably the cause of the problem.
You maya find the data at the following link usefull:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Do you have any problems with HDMI TVs/displays that are on shorter cable runs from the powered splitter then the 45 foot run?
post #4 of 10 Old 04-02-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you try the following:

1) Connect source via long in wall cable to TV (no splitter)? What is result?

2) Connect source (may have to move it temp) via splitter to TV (no long cable)? What is the result?

If it doesn't work in #1 then issue is cable length
If it works in #1 but NOT #2 then likely splitter is defective or poorly made.
If it works in #1 & #2 but not together than likely the box outputs a weak signal.

Using an amp before the splitter will do NOTHING. Reason is that the splitter is not a passive device it is a "relay". Regardless of the input strength it will output at the same level.

You would need either a) amplifier AFTER the splitter on each output or b) a better splitter.

I have never heard of the brand you linked to.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-03-2009, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by namechamps View Post

Did you try the following:

1) Connect source via long in wall cable to TV (no splitter)? What is result?

2) Connect source (may have to move it temp) via splitter to TV (no long cable)? What is the result?

1. If I connect the source (dvr) to the 45ft hdmi in-wall cable still going through the port savers and hdmi keystone, it works.

2. I tried connecting the source directly to the splitter and then used a 3ft hdmi on the output directly into my tv, that works too.

Sounds like my splitter is just junk. I will try removing some of the extra connectors to see if it will pass a signal that way.

Thanks for the input!
post #6 of 10 Old 04-03-2009, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Do I understand you correctly that you only have a problem with the 45 cable from the the splitter meaning that other connections with shorter cables work fine?
If so an amp at the begining at the 45 connection is probably required since the maximum length for HDMI is 49 feet and with the 45 ft cable and other connections you are reaching that effective length.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-03-2009, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Do I understand you correctly that you only have a problem with the 45 cable from the the splitter meaning that other connections with shorter cables work fine?
If so an amp at the begining at the 45 connection is probably required since the maximum length for HDMI is 49 feet and with the 45 ft cable and other connections you are reaching that effective length.

Yes,
3ft HDMI at splitter output - WORKS
45ft HDMI at splitter output - DOESN'T WORK (no sound on only single color at tv)
45ft HDMI at source output - WORKS

I have 2 45ft runs, so I would need 2 repeaters. Can you recommend a brand (keeping cost in mind)?

Mike
post #8 of 10 Old 04-03-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry I have never needed to purchase one so I have not reccomendations. You might just check at Radio Shack and see what they have and try one. Newegg probably has them at a lower price however.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-03-2009, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by met152 View Post

Yes,
3ft HDMI at splitter output - WORKS
45ft HDMI at splitter output - DOESN'T WORK (no sound on only single color at tv)
45ft HDMI at source output - WORKS

I have 2 45ft runs, so I would need 2 repeaters. Can you recommend a brand (keeping cost in mind)?

Mike

Rather than use a repeater on a possibly low quality splitter I would just buy another splitter.

Why solve the problem w/ 3 boxes if you can solve it w/ one.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-04-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I suggest that you send a description of your configutration to the support staff at each of the cable vendors that sponser this forum and ask them for a reccomnendation. They are certainly more qualified then me to offer a reccomendation.
When you do solve the problem please post the solution back on this thread.
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page