HD Artifacting, Samsung PN58A550 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-04-2009, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok. Just got a brand new Samsung PN58A550.
I'm using compontent cables.
I have Cablevision hd cable for the incoming signal.

Love it, basically. My main issue is that I'm seeing what I'd call artifacting (I think others may refer to as ghosting) on fast moving images - looks like video residue or pixels around fast moving objects. I bought this mainly for sports. I notice it's worse on some channels than others.

If it's the incoming signal I'll have to live with that. If it's my tv than I may return and consider other options, but my understanding is that this is a pretty solid tv. I suspects it's the signal, I know cable compresses signals. But I don't really know...

1. So my main question is whether this issue is my tv, or connection cables, or incoming cable signal.

2. Second, does it make sense that hd sports looks better on some channels than others, are they producing/transmitting at varying qualities?

3. does hdmi make much difference from component connection?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-04-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFriedmann View Post

Ok. Just got a brand new Samsung PN58A550.
I'm using compontent cables.
I have Cablevision hd cable for the incoming signal.

Love it, basically. My main issue is that I'm seeing what I'd call artifacting (I think others may refer to as ghosting) on fast moving images - looks like video residue or pixels around fast moving objects. I bought this mainly for sports. I notice it's worse on some channels than others.

If it's the incoming signal I'll have to live with that. If it's my tv than I may return and consider other options, but my understanding is that this is a pretty solid tv. I suspects it's the signal, I know cable compresses signals. But I don't really know...

1. So my main question is whether this issue is my tv, or connection cables, or incoming cable signal.

2. Second, does it make sense that hd sports looks better on some channels than others, are they producing/transmitting at varying qualities?

3. does hdmi make much difference from component connection?

Thanks.

1) Ghosting on LCD's is typically caused by the LCD pixels not reacting fast enough.

2) Yes, some channels do better jobs at producing sports and some networks broadcast in 1080i vs 720p.

3) It may, depends on the set and the source, only thing you can do is try it out.

I suggest you check the LCD Flat Panel section for more advice on your TV itself.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-04-2009, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

To clarify, this is a plasma tv.

So are there tvs out there that would solve this problem or is it really an incoming signal problem?
post #4 of 9 Old 04-04-2009, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Outside of U-Verse, Cablevision is probably the worst of the major providers when it comes to picture quality. With many channels, you'd see a better picture on DirecTV, and a significantly better picture on Verizon FiOS (if available).
post #5 of 9 Old 04-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post

1) Ghosting on LCD's is typically caused by the LCD pixels not reacting fast enough.

2) Yes, some channels do better jobs at producing sports and some networks broadcast in 1080i vs 720p.

3) It may, depends on the set and the source, only thing you can do is try it out.

I suggest you check the LCD Flat Panel section for more advice on your TV itself.

He has a plasma, not an LCD.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-04-2009, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeelo58 View Post

He has a plasma, not an LCD.

Yeah I caught that when he stated it was a plasma in post #2, sorry for not looking up the model number, I'm use to dealing with LCD's from Samsung.

Still wouldn't hurt to check the plasma section to see if anyone else is having this problem with that particular set, would help rule out set or source.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-04-2009, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

There are numerous reports of terrible PQ on Cablevision due to their ridiculously excessive 4 HD per QAM compression. Going to another provider is the only solution. FiOS is a good choice unless you're a sports fan: the MSG HD channels aren't available on FiOS. Cablevision owns them, and they seem to be rather fond of witholding channels from competitors to artificially prop up their substandard service.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-04-2009, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. This is helpful.

Is the consensus then that the tv is likely fine? I basically want to make sure that I got a good tv and it's not the cause of these problems.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-05-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
If DVD's or another source look fine on that input then it should be OK.
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page