Centronics ZAT 502 HD / RTC DTA1100HD / Digiwave DTV5000HD - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 481 Old 12-21-2011, 03:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

so they'll force everyone to use their box.

Perfect reason to drop them like a brick!

Are you aware the NCTA just petitioned the FCC to allows MSO's to encrypt everything?;
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...Basic_Tier.php

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 481 Old 05-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post

I ordered my Centronics ZAT502 HD on Monday 5-11-09 and it arrived on Wednesday.

Preliminary testing shows that its sensitivity equals the Apex DT502. I used the attenuator-to-dropout method as described in the link in my signature.

The dual bar display looks just like the one on the Apex. I was able to add a channel after scan, which the Apex can't do---an important feature for the DXer or someone located between two cities.

My primary interest is in boxes that have signal strength AND signal quality bars to use as a measurement tool. Good sensitivity is also important to me because my signals aren't very strong.

Hi Rabbit73,

Now that you've owned the ZAT502 HD for 3 years, has it been reliable?
Our Apex DT502 (same Samsung tuner & dual signal display) died shortly after the labor warranty expired.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just say "no" to a never-ending subscription TV bill that increases faster than the rate of inflation.
post #453 of 481 Old 05-26-2012, 10:56 AM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ota.dt.man View Post

Hi Rabbit73,

Our Apex DT502 (same Samsung tuner & dual signal display) died shortly after the labor warranty expired.

Mine has been, but I must point out that I use MythTV for most of my TV watching, and only use the ZAT for live events (sports, big news events etc.) so it does not get a lot of use.
post #454 of 481 Old 05-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ota.dt.man View Post

Hi Rabbit73,

The last time I checked, my Centronics ZAT502HD was still working, but I only use it for testing, not everyday use.

Sorry to hear about your Apex DT502. I have made further comments on the Apex DT502 thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post22068630

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #455 of 481 Old 05-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Rabbit73,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad your ZAT502 HD has been reliable. Perhaps I just purchased a defective sample.

Just say "no" to a never-ending subscription TV bill that increases faster than the rate of inflation.
post #456 of 481 Old 05-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP View Post

Mine has been, but I must point out that I use MythTV for most of my TV watching, and only use the ZAT for live events (sports, big news events etc.) so it does not get a lot of use.

Thanks for your report DAP.

post #457 of 481 Old 05-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Are there any Centronics ZAT502 HD owners that:
  • Have owned one for > 1 yr
  • Use it everyday
And would like to share their experience with it?

Thanks

post #458 of 481 Old 08-05-2012, 05:10 PM

Liked: 10
I know this is a fairly OLD topic, but............

I have seen untold articles, threads, stories of people cutting the cable cord or reducing down to BASIC cable and getting the premium content via streaming (I've done the later). You can buy a basic LCD 20" TV for under $100.......why is just an HD tuner for use with a projector so ridiculously expensive and from what I've read, problematic???

I reduced down to basic 4 months ago and don't miss 100 channels of crap that I lost. WHAT I DO MISS is the ability to watch TV on my projector......especially when working out. Someone is missing a great market here!

Anyone with a solution.....PLEASE SHARE IT! smile.gif
post #459 of 481 Old 08-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You could maybe get a tv tuner/ video capture card for a PC. Then turn the PC into a DVR and run a cable from it to your projector.
post #460 of 481 Old 08-05-2012, 05:23 PM

I had the same exact problem. I use my laptop and purchased an HDTV USB tuner for under $50 to connect the HDMI laptop port to the projector.
post #461 of 481 Old 08-06-2012, 10:39 AM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl3comp View Post

I know this is a fairly OLD topic, but............

You can buy a basic LCD 20" TV for under $100.......why is just an HD tuner for use with a projector so ridiculously expensive and from what I've read, problematic???

One word: "Volume".

A lot more of those $100 TVs are made than the stand alone tuner. The more you make of something, the cheaper it gets to make it.

I do think they would sell more of those stand alone tuners if they had multiple RF inputs so that someone with an antenna array could get all of their stations. It would need a good user interface. Having to delve down 3 layers into the menu system to change antennas would kill any advantage of multiple inputs.
post #462 of 481 Old 08-06-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
i am really surprised there is not a simple tuner for front projection. coxial in hdmi out.

why dont projectors come with a tuner? are they better in flat screens because you can run an antenna lead around the perimeter of screen creating better reception.

I have never seen the inside of a flat panal. time for a google search!

post #463 of 481 Old 08-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryep View Post

i am really surprised there is not a simple tuner for front projection. coxial in hdmi out.
why dont projectors come with a tuner? are they better in flat screens because you can run an antenna lead around the perimeter of screen creating better reception.
I have never seen the inside of a flat panal. time for a goole search!

They do make standalone tuners like that, or used to anyway, but they were like $250 to $500 and the price difference dictated how many channels they would actually pull in. I bought a plasma monitor 5 years ago with no tuner, so I went out and priced them and promptly bought a new TV instead. wink.gif
post #464 of 481 Old 08-06-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

i have one of the first tuners for hi def. a samsung sir-t 165

runs hot and only has dvi. It did a good job with hdtv quality.

I paid 600 dollars for that. man i was nuts eek.gif

hi def was such an amazing new thing back in 2001. watching endless loops of fly overs on channel 9!

post #465 of 481 Old 08-06-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

this just dawned on me after posting my last thread. The fact that my old tuner produced alot of heat. Do tuners with audio/video outputs create heat and that is why they are not in projectors?

post #466 of 481 Old 08-07-2012, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

this just dawned on me after posting my last thread. The fact that my old tuner produced alot of heat. Do tuners with audio/video outputs create heat and that is why they are not in projectors?

No, that's not the reason. Projectors are intended to be display-only devices. They are not TV sets.
post #467 of 481 Old 08-07-2012, 10:26 AM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i have one of the first tuners for hi def. a samsung sir-t 165

runs hot and only has dvi. It did a good job with hdtv quality.

I paid 600 dollars for that. man i was nuts eek.gif

hi def was such an amazing new thing back in 2001. watching endless loops of fly overs on channel 9!
I have one of those and it is why I will never buy anything from Samsung again.
The software is seriously broken on that thing and Samsung would not lift a finger to fix it.
It will get stuck on a channel, and one must disconnect the antenna power it off and power it back on and quickly change the channel before it gets stuck again.
Awful POS.
post #468 of 481 Old 08-08-2012, 10:10 PM

I'm the new owner of a ZAT 502... or at least I hoped I'd be. Mine lasted for all but 15 minutes. A few minutes after I got my channel scan done, the video output turned into noise/snow/corrupt signal. Doesn't even matter if the antenna is plugged in or not. The HD/SD button doesn't help. SD still works, but I bought this unit for the HD component out.
Also, when I got back from work today the display showed 00000. A power cycle brought it life again...for about 2 minutes.
Sheesh.
post #469 of 481 Old 08-18-2012, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
This still the most recommended HD tuner for use with projector?
post #470 of 481 Old 08-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Reliability on these is poor.
post #471 of 481 Old 08-29-2012, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Well what is currently the best inexpensive atsc/qam tuner?
post #472 of 481 Old 09-29-2012, 09:34 AM

Probably a voice in the wilderness here - I just discovered this old thread but don't know if anyone is still tuned in.

I have a DVT5000HD. Was there ever any resolution to the audio dropout problem when using HDMI? Perhaps a firmware update that can be downloaded somewhere? I've searched but can't find anything - not that that means much: Google returns far more noise than signal these days.

Alternatively any other setup change or workaround? I'm aware that using the S-Video/component/composite outputs may (I believe) get around the problem but for various reasons I need/want to use HDMI.
post #473 of 481 Old 09-29-2012, 01:10 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnamantoo View Post

Probably a voice in the wilderness here - I just discovered this old thread but don't know if anyone is still tuned in.

I have a DVT5000HD. Was there ever any resolution to the audio dropout problem when using HDMI? Perhaps a firmware update that can be downloaded somewhere? I've searched but can't find anything - not that that means much: Google returns far more noise than signal these days.

Alternatively any other setup change or workaround? I'm aware that using the S-Video/component/composite outputs may (I believe) get around the problem but for various reasons I need/want to use HDMI.

There was no patch. The work around is to use the optical TOSLINK output. It contains the exact same digital audio data that the HDMI is supposed to be transmitting but without the dropouts.
post #474 of 481 Old 09-29-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP View Post

There was no patch. The work around is to use the optical TOSLINK output. It contains the exact same digital audio data that the HDMI is supposed to be transmitting but without the dropouts.

Thanks, DAP, that would be an option if I had anything to plug the TosLink into but this isn't going into a home theatre - just into a TV which has TosLink output but not input.

The TV tuner input and the sole composite/component input (no S-video) are tied up with other things but the TV does have a plethora of HDMI inputs .... which was why I bought this particular tuner in the first place - because of the HDMI connection.

Guess I'll just have to look for another tuner. Pity because the video performance of this one seems quite good.
post #475 of 481 Old 09-30-2012, 10:34 AM

Add me to the list of people having reliability problems with the Centronics ZAT 502 HD.

I've had mine for about 2 years, and used it a few times per month. Several months ago, it started not coming out of standby mode reliably -- I hit the power button, the standby light goes off briefly, the channel display shows zeroes briefly, but then it goes back to standby. Initially, if I tried to turn it on repeatedly, it would work after a few (or several) tries. But now it just absolutely won't come out of standby.

Any ideas on how I might revive it? Or is it destined for the recycling center?

Assuming I need to replace it, any recommendations on what I should replace it with?

Thanks,
David
post #476 of 481 Old 10-11-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by battey View Post

I've had mine for about 2 years, and used it a few times per month. Several months ago, it started not coming out of standby mode reliably -- I hit the power button, the standby light goes off briefly, the channel display shows zeroes briefly, but then it goes back to standby. Initially, if I tried to turn it on repeatedly, it would work after a few (or several) tries. But now it just absolutely won't come out of standby.
Any ideas on how I might revive it? Or is it destined for the recycling center?
Assuming I need to replace it, any recommendations on what I should replace it with?
Thanks,
David

Just a thought - and I hope I'm not teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs - but have you considered the possibility that the remote is getting flakey? Perhaps sending multiple or distorted on-off signals. Or even a weak battery in the remote (I always forget about those).
post #477 of 481 Old 10-24-2012, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the idea -- I've tried powering it up many times with both the remote control and button on the box. Same result, unfortunately.
post #478 of 481 Old 10-25-2012, 04:57 PM

Ah well, it was just a thought. The only other thing I can think of - standard practice really so you've probably already done it - is to remove power completely (unplug it) for 1/2 a minute. Most of these kinds of devices need that to fully reboot. Simply turning off power with the remote or the switch on the unit may not do it.
post #479 of 481 Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 PM

The Centronics ZAT 520 HD proved to me to be total waste of money, cannot recommend it. Within weeks of the crappy 90-day warranty expiration, the video signal started to cut out intermittently, say every one-two minutes or so. Customer No Service was unapologetic and would offer no warranty service. I tossed it in the trash soon after, good riddance to bad garbage.
post #480 of 481 Old 03-09-2013, 11:17 AM

So is there a better option to get HD locals off an antenna to my projector? I dont need recording capabilities...
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page