Centronics ZAT 502 HD / RTC DTA1100HD / Digiwave DTV5000HD - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 481 Old 07-30-2009, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi All:

Based on recommendations of several people on this and other boards, I've been experimenting with antenna rotation and manual entry of actual and virtual channel numbers for the OTA tuner in my Sharp Aquos 94U series tv. As a result of this, I've found that this OTA tuner is able to receive (and store into memory) two different channels from different directions where they have the same virtual channel number but different actual channel numbers by manually entering the respective actual channel numbers after the antenna is pointed properly for each channel. The OTA tuner stores the channels sequentially in memory under two separate instances of the same virtual channel (including the decimals). But when I've tried to enter in channel numbers to receive two different channels (again in different directions) having the same actual channel number (and either the same or different virtual channel numbers), I apparently cannot receive the second channel, as the tuner always immediately defaults back to the virtual channel number of the first channel received, as soon as I enter the shared actual channel number.

Therefore, if I'm in between two cities having channels that share a few actual channel numbers, my current OTA tuner cannot apparently receive both sets of channels, except perhaps if I wipe out all channels in memory and start over by manually entering the actual channel number(s) of the station(s) in the second city. Wondering whether an external OTA tuner like the Centronics ZAT502HD (or any other tuner) has the ability to receive (and store separately into memory) multiple channels having shared actual channel numbers, in addition to multiple channels having shared virtual channel numbers.

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 481 Old 07-31-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcd0865 View Post

Hi All:

Based on recommendations of several people on this and other boards, I've been experimenting with antenna rotation and manual entry of actual and virtual channel numbers for the OTA tuner in my Sharp Aquos 94U series tv. As a result of this, I've found that this OTA tuner is able to receive (and store into memory) two different channels from different directions where they have the same virtual channel number but different actual channel numbers by manually entering the respective actual channel numbers after the antenna is pointed properly for each channel. The OTA tuner stores the channels sequentially in memory under two separate instances of the same virtual channel (including the decimals). But when I've tried to enter in channel numbers to receive two different channels (again in different directions) having the same actual channel number (and either the same or different virtual channel numbers), I apparently cannot receive the second channel, as the tuner always immediately defaults back to the virtual channel number of the first channel received, as soon as I enter the shared actual channel number.

Therefore, if I'm in between two cities having channels that share a few actual channel numbers, my current OTA tuner cannot apparently receive both sets of channels, except perhaps if I wipe out all channels in memory and start over by manually entering the actual channel number(s) of the station(s) in the second city. Wondering whether an external OTA tuner like the Centronics ZAT502HD (or any other tuner) has the ability to receive (and store separately into memory) multiple channels having shared actual channel numbers, in addition to multiple channels having shared virtual channel numbers.

Not sure about the ZAT502, but any unit that will allow you to turn off PSIP (which is the data that remaps from actual digital to virtual) will probably do the trick. Does your Aquos have a menu function for PSIP or remapping, or some similar setting?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #93 of 481 Old 07-31-2009, 01:39 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Hi All:

Even if it doesn't, with two tuners, you could set up each tuner differently, and switch between the internal & external tuner depending on which of the duplicate channels you want to watch.
post #94 of 481 Old 08-03-2009, 06:41 AM

Liked: 10
August update: Just talked to Centronics, he said that they are still probably 7-10 days from receiving the units.
post #95 of 481 Old 08-03-2009, 07:56 AM

I've noticed some odd behavior with my 502. When it outputs 1080i signals, they display on my Pioneer KRP-600M as 720p. That's with both a tuner>plasma direct connection, and a tuner>AVR>plasma routing. For the latter, my Denon 3808CI says it's in fact receiving a 720p signal from the tuner, even though the tuner says it's 1080i. If I swap out the Centronics for an LG LST-4200A tuner, the same 1080i broadcasts display as 1080i on the Kuro. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts about this?
post #96 of 481 Old 08-03-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plong123 View Post

August update: Just talked to Centronics, he said that they are still probably 7-10 days from receiving the units.

Thanks for the update.

post #97 of 481 Old 08-04-2009, 12:44 PM

I want one!!!
post #98 of 481 Old 08-05-2009, 04:09 PM

A Centronics rep told me he hopes to have a large shipment in August 20th. Also sounds like the price will remain $85.50 through them.
post #99 of 481 Old 08-08-2009, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

...if I'm in between two cities having channels that share a few actual channel numbers, my current OTA tuner cannot apparently receive both sets of channels, except perhaps if I wipe out all channels in memory and start over by manually entering the actual channel number(s) of the station(s) in the second city. Wondering whether an external OTA tuner like the Centronics ZAT502HD (or any other tuner) has the ability to receive (and store separately into memory) multiple channels having shared actual channel numbers, in addition to multiple channels having shared virtual channel numbers.

Maybe you've moved beyond, but I just saw your post today.

In my area we had a situation that led to something similar to yours.

In the digital changeover, one local channel, after months of transmitting on a UHF channel, switched their digital broadcast over to their original VHF channel...

They quickly found out it was a BAD mistake. Suddenly, people all over their viewing area couldn't get them any more. They ended up getting permission from the FCC to also broadcast on the UHF channel they'd been using, until they figure out what they're going to do.

Two digital converter boxes, the Zinwell 970A and the DTVPal, in rescanning found BOTH versions of the channel, and I was able to tune both. The Pal couldn't handle them both ID-ing as the same virtual channel, and suddenly ID'd one of them as a channel ten times as high. (It added a zero to the channel number.) Still tuned fine, tho', and if memory serves, it even showed up alongside the other version in the channel order, despite having a number much higher than the next one in the list.

The Zinwell? It identified BOTH versions of the channel by the same virtual channel number, and I could tune and view either.

It may be your specific tuner that's having trouble dealing with more than one channel having the same virtual number, and a different tuner might handle it just fine. I mean, if these little rinky-dink converter boxes can handle it, a true HD tuner should be able to.
post #100 of 481 Old 08-12-2009, 12:27 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenoicus View Post

I've noticed some odd behavior with my 502. When it outputs 1080i signals, they display on my Pioneer KRP-600M as 720p. That's with both a tuner>plasma direct connection, and a tuner>AVR>plasma routing. For the latter, my Denon 3808CI says it's in fact receiving a 720p signal from the tuner, even though the tuner says it's 1080i. If I swap out the Centronics for an LG LST-4200A tuner, the same 1080i broadcasts display as 1080i on the Kuro. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts about this?

Has anyone proved that the ZAT502HD can actually output 1080i and does not rescale it to 720p? It would be nice to know before these became available again.
post #101 of 481 Old 08-12-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP View Post

Has anyone proved that the ZAT502HD can actually output 1080i and does not rescale it to 720p? It would be nice to know before these became available again.

My problem was resolved when I tested the tuner on an older PDP-5080HD Kuro. I had toggled the Centronic's HD/SD(SET) remote button many times with the 600M, attempting to get that display to register a 1080i signal. But it continued to say 720p (and as I said previously, a Denon AVR seconded that assessment when the same OTA signal was routed through it). I then tried connecting the Centronics to the older Kuro—and as soon as I hit the HD/SD(SET) button, the display immediately registered 1080i. When I plugged the tuner back into the 600M, it too suddenly showed it was receiving a 1080i signal.

I don't know, either I was guilty of some hidden operator error, or an inscrutably quirky electronic connection miraculously righted itself after a quick shove into relations with a constellation of strange phospors....
post #102 of 481 Old 08-13-2009, 11:43 AM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update. Now I just have to wait for the nasty "Not in stock" to go away.
post #103 of 481 Old 08-23-2009, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's the 24th. Where's the shipment?!?

http://www.centronics.com/product.php?id=48

Still not in stock.
post #104 of 481 Old 08-23-2009, 11:38 PM

There will be a slight delay due to technical difficulties
post #105 of 481 Old 08-24-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

It's the 24th. Where's the shipment?!?

Still not in stock.

Just got off the phone with the guy again. He said that the units are all paid for on his end, and they are waiting for a shipping confirmation from the manufacturing plant. He said that the units will be delivered FedEx 2-day, so they could be here as soon as Thursday, and he said that *most* of the preorders would be filled and reshipped that very day. So, it's possible that we'll see these things this week. he did mention that it's possible it won't be till next week. The official word is "soon" LOL

Once again, I must say that dealing with Centronics customer service has been a very positive experience.
post #106 of 481 Old 08-24-2009, 11:30 AM

Can anyone who has this help me out with the set up. i'm only getting 480 putput. Is there a way to select for 1080 or is it automatic? Does the antennae make a difference in this?

D
post #107 of 481 Old 08-24-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Tell that Chinese plant manager to start crackin' that whip.

Get 'em working overtime - 20 hours a day, instead of the usual 16 or 18.
post #108 of 481 Old 08-24-2009, 12:25 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidon1138 View Post

Can anyone who has this help me out with the set up. i'm only getting 480 putput. Is there a way to select for 1080 or is it automatic? Does the antennae make a difference in this?

D

Antenna does not make a difference.
What connection are you using between TV & tuner? What TV do you have?
post #109 of 481 Old 08-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidon1138 View Post

D

There is a button on the remote (just below the "9" key) labeled HD/SD Set. It will set the output resolution but as implied above, you must have a video connection that supports HD resolutions (component or HDMI). If you are using composite, s-video or RF outputs to connect your TV you will be limited to 480.
post #110 of 481 Old 08-25-2009, 04:11 AM

Guys thanks for the responses

OK, first off I'm an AV newbie so I may need some help to walk me through this...I've got a Samsung LNR268WX..I had a HDMI connection from TV to unit..this resulted in no display at all. Then I attached a coax to both and got the 480 display. That's why I was wondering if there is a manual way to select which connection should be used or is my HDMI defective? Am I doing something wrong? I don't even have the unit attached at the moment ..got disappointed with the results and continue to use DirecTV. My goal/wish is to get unit up to 1080 res so I can ditch the DTV.
Another question is about reception. Only getting NBC and CBS locals..no ABC channels. Due I need to rotate antennae? Antennae is about 15-20 years old.

D
post #111 of 481 Old 08-25-2009, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
The HDMI connection should work and provide 1080i to your TV. Unfortunately HDMI requires that the box get an authentication handshake from your TV before it will enable video across the HDMI cable. This is to prevent a device on the other end from illicitly copying the signal.

Even more unfortunately, the specification &/or implementation of this handshake was handled poorly and some devices have trouble with the exchange. Try altering the order in which you power on your TV and the ZAT. With my Samsung HLN507W DLP I turn on the TV and select the HDMI input first, then turn on the ZAT.

If you cannot get the HDMI to work you can still get 1080i using a component connection. That is the set of red/green/blue video outputs on the ZAT. Hopefully your TV has at least one set of these inputs available. You will also need separate audio cables (red/white) from the ZAT to the appropriate TV audio inputs.

If you do not have a set of red/green/blue component cables you can test this with a regular old set of red/white/yellow cables. Just make sure to match the colors at both ends. For example, red->red, white->blue, yellow->green.

As for your antenna reception, that can be tricky with HD as stations can be on both UHF & VHF. Your best bet is to look for a local reception thread for your area in this forum. Also, good info on antenna requirements and aiming can be found at http://www.tvfool.com/.

Good Luck
post #112 of 481 Old 08-25-2009, 01:10 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Centronincs has FINALLY removed the "out of stock" indicator from the ZAT502HD. I just ordered mine.
post #113 of 481 Old 08-25-2009, 03:18 PM

Gerhard

I will try different power up sequences as you mentioned and also the components connections if HDMI does'nt work..will update later..thanks

D
post #114 of 481 Old 08-25-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard911 View Post

There is a button on the remote (just below the "9" key) labeled HD/SD Set. It will set the output resolution but as implied above, you must have a video connection that supports HD resolutions (component or HDMI). If you are using composite, s-video or RF outputs to connect your TV you will be limited to 480.

For OTA reception, I have coax 75ohm plugged into the back of the receiver-into the TV input of the receiver. Will this allow only 480?
post #115 of 481 Old 08-25-2009, 09:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post

For OTA reception, I have coax 75ohm plugged into the back of the receiver-into the TV input of the receiver. Will this allow only 480?

For HD, the 502 receiver must be connected to the HDTV using component video or HDMI.

post #116 of 481 Old 08-25-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

For HD, the 502 receiver must be connected to the HDTV using component video or HDMI.

Thanks Ken for that explanation. The wording was poor on my description. I should explain; I'm picked up a Zenith DTT 901 while waiting for the Centronics unit to come off backorder. An outdoor antenna is plugged in to its coax input and 3 RCA plugs are output to the AVR which connects to the monitor via HDMI. So still same result? No HD?

Not trying to hijack the thread here, trying to comprehend the impact of cable type.
post #117 of 481 Old 08-26-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:

Thanks Ken for that explanation. The wording was poor on my description. I should explain; I'm picked up a Zenith DTT 901 while waiting for the Centronics unit to come off backorder. An outdoor antenna is plugged in to its coax input and 3 RCA plugs are output to the AVR which connects to the monitor via HDMI. So still same result? No HD?

Not trying to hijack the thread here, trying to comprehend the impact of cable type.

The Zenith 901 is a govt. coupon-eligible converter box, forbidden by law to output a HDTV signal. You can only get standard definition from the Zenith.
post #118 of 481 Old 08-26-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picspop View Post

...forbidden by law to output a HDTV signal....

Why this would be is incomprehensible to me if it is true. You are pulling my leg right? But then, the Govt' is incomprehensible and often reprehensible IMHO. But that's another issue.
post #119 of 481 Old 08-26-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Correct, no HD.

As noted, none of the CECB boxes, which the Zenith is one of, have HD output.

post #120 of 481 Old 08-26-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Why this would be is incomprehensible to me if it is true. You are pulling my leg right?

No.

The Coupon boxes were specifically designed for consumers without other TV sources, at a low price point. As such they only have composite video and RF output.

Here's a topic that discussed the issue: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1165382

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page