post #181 of 481 Old 10-22-2009, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
you can control the volume

Quote:
Originally Posted by battey View Post

I programmed the volume up/down buttons on the remote control to control my television's volume, and now I have no way to control the ZAT 502's volume. Its volume is only set to 35, so I have to turn the volume way up on the TV and I'm getting some low frequency noise.

Does anyone know how I can reset the remote control to its original functions? Or in lieu of that, how I can control the ZAT 502's volume? If I leave the batteries out of the remote long enough, will it reset?

Thanks,
David

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 481 Old 10-24-2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOFA.KING View Post

Well, I'm going to wait until they are all back in stock and send one in at a time to get replaced. I am going to assume the reason for the delay in shipping is the audio issue. Stereo L/R analog audio with Dolby Prologic works OK for now, but this SPDIF audio problem is not going to cut it with me. I'm tired of "made in China" crap. But "made in China" crap with that high price tag with problems like this is really out of line!

I'm thinking of ordering one of these for my soon-to-arrive Elite Pro-101FD. Are you saying you can avoid the audio dropout issue by just using the L/R analog audio outputs? If that's the case I can live with it.
post #183 of 481 Old 10-24-2009, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerfan View Post

Quote:

Well, I'm going to wait until they are all back in stock and send one in at a time to get replaced. I am going to assume the reason for the delay in shipping is the audio issue. Stereo L/R analog audio with Dolby Prologic works OK for now, but this SPDIF audio problem is not going to cut it with me. I'm tired of "made in China" crap. But "made in China" crap with that high price tag with problems like this is really out of line!

I'm thinking of ordering one of these for my soon-to-arrive Elite Pro-101FD. Are you saying you can avoid the audio dropout issue by just using the L/R analog audio outputs? If that's the case I can live with it.

Yes. No cutting out on the L/R output. Dolby Pro Logic still works too.

The sensitivity is outstanding! Even on VHF it is very good. Picture is great. It is a good receiver other than the SPDIF audio problem.

Phil

Its SOFA.KING GOOD!

Phil :cool:
post #184 of 481 Old 10-24-2009, 12:21 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I have had no problems at all with the SPDIF output on my ZAT502HD. It is connected to a Denon AVR3801 receiver. I get no audio dropouts.
post #185 of 481 Old 10-24-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:

Yes. No cutting out on the L/R output. Dolby Pro Logic still works too.

The sensitivity is outstanding! Even on VHF it is very good. Picture is great. It is a good receiver other than the SPDIF audio problem.

Phil

Thanks sofa.king! I'll go to ebay and grab one now. I've got my new Elite plasma up and running and I am sure hi def tv will look fabulous!
lazerfan
post #186 of 481 Old 10-24-2009, 09:26 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerfan View Post

Thanks sofa.king! I'll go to ebay and grab one now. I've got my new Elite plasma up and running and I am sure hi def tv will look fabulous!
lazerfan

I'm a bit confused here. Why did you buy a very expensive high quality monitor instead of the equivalent TV? The ZAT502HD is a very good budget tuner, but it has some issues that you would have avoided with the built in tuner. It does fine on HD content, but can't seem to get the aspect ratio correct on SD content.
post #187 of 481 Old 10-26-2009, 04:50 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Two reasons:

1. The Elite Monitor is the best display one can buy.

2. What is SD? Seriously, I think he will be watching very few, if any, SD programs. My TV is an 'old' HDTV, and I rarely watch SD, anymore.
post #188 of 481 Old 10-27-2009, 05:07 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

Two reasons:

1. The Elite Monitor is the best display one can buy.

Isn't there a version of the Elite that has a built in tuner?
post #189 of 481 Old 10-29-2009, 12:02 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Yes, there are Elite TVs, that aren't quite as good; but, subjectively, they are pretty close to the Elite Signature Monitors.
post #190 of 481 Old 10-29-2009, 12:12 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

I was watching the World Series game last night on FOX-HD, and when I went into one of the settings menus, it says the source was 720p (which I knew), but the output was 1080i.

I know there is an HD/SD button, but I don't know recall it changing resolutions within HD, and the manual says nothing in this regard. Does it offer HD res. choices?

I didn't want to change any settings, which can sometimes cause a snafu, and require a power cycle, as the game had already started.

Even now, I will have to teach that code to my univ. remote first, in case the supplied remote fails after changing that setting. I don't want to be left in SD mode.

Last year, the WS was somewhat ruined when my DVR failed, (old age), meaning no large HDTV, so I ain't taking any chances.
post #191 of 481 Old 11-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

I would really appreciate it if anyone can post the dimensions of this box. I own one, but cannot measure it right now and would like to buy a shelf for it tomorrow morning. Thanks for any help.

HD-A1 + XBOX Add-On + PS3 = Format Neutral
post #192 of 481 Old 11-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
6 1/2D x 11 1/4W x 1 7/8H
post #193 of 481 Old 11-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Hey gerhard911, thanks a lot for your help.

HD-A1 + XBOX Add-On + PS3 = Format Neutral
post #194 of 481 Old 11-22-2009, 05:48 AM

Geez I finally got around to doing trying this..I finally realized there is a HD/SD button on the controller which allowed me to set the output to 1080 however even when using HDMI or component connections.. it DISPLAYS 1080 signal input/output on screen settings but in actuality it APPEARS to still only be in 480 when compared to direcTV quality so am I still missing something here?
post #195 of 481 Old 11-22-2009, 11:16 AM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidon1138 View Post

Geez I finally got around to doing trying this..I finally realized there is a HD/SD button on the controller which allowed me to set the output to 1080 however even when using HDMI or component connections.. it DISPLAYS 1080 signal input/output on screen settings but in actuality it APPEARS to still only be in 480 when compared to direcTV quality so am I still missing something here?

What is your signal source? I know I am getting full 1080i on my system.
post #196 of 481 Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 AM

I posted in a different forum about needing an HD OTA tuner for a New Years Eve event ill be DJ'ing. I was directed to this thread and then found myself here.

The Centronics unit seems like it should do the trick. My Optoma EX525ST projector has S-Vid, Component and DVI-I inputs. I was thinking of grabbing a DVI-I to HDMI cable at monoprice for my connection.

My big concern is the antenna placement. Im in various venues with at times limited or no access to run Coax to an outdoor antenna. Is there any chance of using an indoor antenna for HD OTA signals?
If not, would the antenna have to be directional and would it have to placed high enough to get adequate reception?

Any suggestions for an antenna that would work well in a portable application like this would be appreciated.
post #197 of 481 Old 11-24-2009, 11:44 AM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOTL View Post

I posted in a different forum about needing an HD OTA tuner for a New Years Eve event ill be DJ'ing. I was directed to this thread and then found myself here.

The Centronics unit seems like it should do the trick. My Optoma EX525ST projector has S-Vid, Component and DVI-I inputs. I was thinking of grabbing a DVI-I to HDMI cable at monoprice for my connection.

My big concern is the antenna placement. Im in various venues with at times limited or no access to run Coax to an outdoor antenna. Is there any chance of using an indoor antenna for HD OTA signals?
If not, would the antenna have to be directional and would it have to placed high enough to get adequate reception?

Any suggestions for an antenna that would work well in a portable application like this would be appreciated.

For an answer to that question, you need to go to tvfool.com type in the location you are going to be at, and post the results here. We need some idea of signal strength & which channels you wish to get.
post #198 of 481 Old 11-24-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP View Post

For an answer to that question, you need to go to tvfool.com type in the location you are going to be at, and post the results here. We need some idea of signal strength & which channels you wish to get.

Thanks DAP, i should have provided more detail as i did have a look at tvfool earlier.
Here is a link to the results for this particular location.

The location can and probably will change for the next time i need this, so the antenna choice is important. Most venues i wont have the luxury of running coax outdoors and certainly wouldn't be able to mount anything on the roof.

A pole mount antenna of some sort i could utilize indoors and possibly even put it outside with a 50'-100' coax run.
I do some gigs west and north of this location and the results from tvfool were much worse than these.

I would at least like to get one of the main broadcast channels ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox. I think most of them have some sort of Time Square NYE special going. Dave Letterman show did one last year, Carson Daily did one and of course Dick Clark/Ryan Seacrest did the usual. It would be great to switch between the 3 or 4 of them to minimize commercials.
post #199 of 481 Old 11-25-2009, 07:36 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

None of the channels you want are line of sight, and they are coming from a bunch of different directions. You are in luck that the major networks are all coming from 134 or 135 degrees magnetic, so you won't need a rotater. You will need a good directional antenna since none of them are line of sight. At the very least, you should go to that site and do some experiments ahead of time. With the exception of ABC they are UHF. High gain UHF antennas are relatively small, but to get all of the channels you will need something that also gets high band VHF.
post #200 of 481 Old 11-26-2009, 10:07 AM

I just thought I'd drop a quck note here to hopefully help those who are having audio cut-out problems with their tuners. I just got a new Pioneer Kuro KRP500M monitor and received this tuner yesterday (Centronics ZAT 502 HD). I connected it to my Onkyo 606 via HDMI and optical. I too had problems with audio cutting out on all channels via local broadcast TV. I read somewhere here that this unit has issues passing AC3 over HDMI, so I decided to instead run the HDMI cable directly into the monitor with only the optical cable going from the tuner to the receiver. Works like a charm! I now have absolutely no audo problems and am now very pleased with this unit. I hope this works for others as well.

Happy Thanksgiving All!
post #201 of 481 Old 11-30-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP View Post

What is your signal source? I know I am getting full 1080i on my system.

OTA antennae..i was told you don't need a special HD antennae to get HD signals
post #202 of 481 Old 11-30-2009, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

OTA antennae..i was told you don't need a special HD antennae to get HD signals

That is correct.

Digital TV signals are on the same bands as TV signals have always been; VHF & UHF.

Many households were pleased to find the antenna they used for years (and it's location) would work find for Digital TV. In other cases, antennas needed to be upgraded or placed outdoors to assure stable reception.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #203 of 481 Old 11-30-2009, 10:37 AM

OK sounds like the antenna is fine but still need some help trying to get HD picture..Is this a possible problem with the TV settings? I would'nt see how since it works fine with DirecTV. Just throwing it out there..
post #204 of 481 Old 11-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

You need to be sure that you are viewing an actual OTA HD channel and program tuned by the ZAT.

Go to the ZAT's menu and select Setup / Screen Setting. You should see:

Current Video is 1080i
Display output is 1080i

in the bottom of the Screen Setting box.

This however, only verifies the broadcast resolution, NOT the program content resolution. Daytime HD shows are still pretty rare on the broadcast networks, so I would do my checking during primetime, on a show that is known to be in HD. The CBS Monday night comedies or Jay Leno would be good opportunities tonight.
post #205 of 481 Old 11-30-2009, 08:23 PM

Just bought the Panny 200U and want to use for Football on Sundays and such. The house I just bought also has one of the old school big antennas on the roof. So am I correct in thinking that this would provide a better way to get OTA HD? I do have basic cable also so which should I use? Thanks for all the good posts, just ordered a Centronics ZAT502 HD for the tuner. I may go to a HT PC in the future. Anyone use both to give any noticeable differences?
post #206 of 481 Old 12-01-2009, 08:45 AM

Well grizbiz, If the antenna is in good working order, and your local signals are in its sweet spot, it will work for you. I've set up digital converters for people with roof antennas, and the main issue sometimes is that the transmitters are in a different place, so you may need to rotate the antenna.

As to basic cable, I personally have the grandfathered analog cable from my local provider, and they recently downconverted all the free HD QAM signals to Standard Definition in all its glory (not).

So I am getting a Zat 502 HD to provide my HD, in addition to the local cable.

I live ~16 miles from the towers, so I get my HD with rabbit ears...

Good Luck!
post #207 of 481 Old 12-01-2009, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvillalt View Post

As to basic cable, I personally have the grandfathered analog cable from my local provider, and they recently downconverted all the free HD QAM signals to Standard Definition in all its glory (not).

Who is your cable provider?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #208 of 481 Old 12-02-2009, 04:32 AM

<<You need to be sure that you are viewing an actual OTA HD channel and program tuned by the ZAT.

Go to the ZAT's menu and select Setup / Screen Setting. You should see:

Current Video is 1080i
Display output is 1080i

in the bottom of the Screen Setting box.

This however, only verifies the broadcast resolution, NOT the program content resolution. Daytime HD shows are still pretty rare on the broadcast networks, so I would do my checking during primetime, on a show that is known to be in HD. The CBS Monday night comedies or Jay Leno would be good opportunities tonight.>>

Gerhard

It does say Current video 1080 and Display 1080. Our local CBS station broadcasts everything in HD as far as I know and it's not working for that channel either. I will call them and double check on this though. Any other options if this is not the cause of the problem?
post #209 of 481 Old 12-02-2009, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Our local CBS station broadcasts everything in HD as far as I know and it's not working for that channel either.

No, they do not. Not even all prime time CBS programming is HD http://www.cbs.com/info/schedule/index.php.

They most likely broadcast in 1080i all of the time but as I tried to explain before, a lot of the programming is still 480i standard definition. Many daytime shows, most syndicated shows, even a fair amount of local newscasts are still produced in standard definition and will look like it, even on an "HD channel".
post #210 of 481 Old 12-02-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Who is your cable provider?

Comcast
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version