Large Directional Antenna with Pre-Amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 05-03-2009, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm a newbie and I'm not sure where to post this question. If I've posted it twice, I apologize.

I went to antennaweb.org and entered my address. I live in Quincy, Massachusetts, and there is a tall water tower not far from my house. Antenneweb.org said I need a "large directional antenna with pre-amp" to view the channels I want to receive (in the violet sector).

I'm having a terrible time finding the right antenna to buy. ConsumerReports.org doesn't rate antennas, and I've searched the Internet for days with no luck.

Has anyone had to buy this type of antenna? If so, can you please give me some help? I have no clue.

Thanks,

Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-03-2009, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Stephanie,

Please click here >> www.tvfool.com & save your "post transition" results. This will give a better idea of your situation, and help us make the best recommendations.
post #3 of 32 Old 05-03-2009, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRaLew View Post

A "large directional antenna with pre-amp" to view the channels I want to receive (in the violet sector).

The exact answer to your question is a Winegard HD7698P with an HDP-269 preamp.

Yet, antennaweb can be too conservative. Try tvfool instead. You may be able to get by with a slightly smaller antenna.
post #4 of 32 Old 05-24-2009, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll research every one and let you know what I end up buying and how it works out. I know I'm running out of time ...

Thanks again,

Stephanie
post #5 of 32 Old 05-24-2009, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The problem with using a preamp to improve your chances of successfully receiving distant stations is that you risk overload from nearby stations; in your case, from the transmitters in Newton. You should start with the highest gain antenna you can afford, and try it without the preamp. Hopefully, the distant stations you seek are UHF only.
post #6 of 32 Old 05-24-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It looks like most of the Boston stations, including all the major networks, are only 11-12 miles from Quincy. You shouldn't need a large antenna or pre-amp for those. Are you trying to get stations from Providence or other cities, too?
post #7 of 32 Old 05-24-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll research every one and let you know what I end up buying and how it works out. I know I'm running out of time ...

Thanks again,

Stephanie

You really need to post your TVfool results. Without them, you're going to get all kinds of advice, most of which will probably be inaccurate based only on the antennaweb recommendation.
post #8 of 32 Old 05-24-2009, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

You really need to post your TVfool results. Without them, you're going to get all kinds of advice, most of which will probably be inaccurate based only on the antennaweb recommendation.

Your address will not show up when you post your TV FOOL results. Please list the channels that you are interseted in also.
post #9 of 32 Old 05-24-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

Your address will not show up when you post your TV FOOL results. Please list the channels that you are interseted in also.

However, anyone who has learned to read a map and can shoot a back-azimuth can figure it out pretty closely...
post #10 of 32 Old 05-24-2009, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

What antenna are you using now? I don't see any significant areas in Quincy that have weak signals on a general area plot.

Something like a 7694 should be enough:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?prod=HD7694P

but w/o looking at the actual TV Fool results, it's hard to know for sure.

Antennaweb.org tends to be very, very conservative. According to them, I should only get a few stations where I live. In reality only a couple have any problems at all (and even those are 99% reliable with a pre-amp).
post #11 of 32 Old 05-24-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

However, anyone who has learned to read a map and can shoot a back-azimuth can figure it out pretty closely...

It sounds like someone else is or was once a sailor (or a hiker). Yes, and with several bearings and ranges it can be quite accurate.
post #12 of 32 Old 05-24-2009, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_77 View Post

It sounds like someone else is or was once a sailor (or a hiker). Yes, and with several bearings and ranges it can be quite accurate.

Boy Scouts and the US Army.

I found that back then (Jimmy Carter era), the Scouts had better adult leadership...
post #13 of 32 Old 05-24-2009, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

I probably should have mentioned this before, but I don't have, nor do I intend to have cable or satellite TV. I use a converter box (TIVAX STB-8) and need a VHF/UHF antenna.

I live only 8 miles south of Boston, so I don't know why AntennaWeb.org told me I need the "Large Directional Pre-Amp Antenna". It doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm reading it wrong? I used my full address including my 9-digit postal code. I answered "No" to the following:

"Are there any buildings, steeples, towers, or other structures taller than four stories within four blocks of your location, airports within two miles of your location, and/or many nearby trees over 30 feet tall?"

I cut and pasted below "Show All Stations" from AntennaWeb.org.

Assignment
red - vhf WGBH 2 PBS BOSTON, MA 305° 11.7 2
red - vhf WBZ 4 CBS BOSTON, MA 305° 11.7 4
red - vhf WCVB 5 ABC BOSTON, MA 305° 11.7 5
red - vhf WHDH 7 NBC BOSTON, MA 307° 10.8 7
* red - vhf WHDH-DT 7.1 NBC BOSTON, MA Jun 12, 2009 (post-transition) 307° 10.8 7

* blue - uhf WBPX-DT 68.1 ION BOSTON, MA 304° 10.7 32
* blue - uhf WCVB-DT 5.1 ABC BOSTON, MA 305° 11.7 20
* blue - uhf WBZ-DT 4.1 CBS BOSTON, MA 305° 11.7 30
* blue - uhf WFXT-DT 25.1 FOX BOSTON, MA Jun 12, 2009 (post-transition) 304° 10.7 31
blue - uhf WLVI 56 CW CAMBRIDGE, MA 305° 10.7 56
* blue - uhf WMFP-DT 62.1 SAH LAWRENCE, MA 306° 11.0 18
blue - uhf WSBK 38 IND BOSTON, MA 305° 10.7 38
* blue - uhf WBZ-DT 4.1 CBS BOSTON, MA Jun 12, 2009 (post-transition) 305° 11.7 30
* blue - uhf WGBH-DT 2.1 PBS BOSTON, MA 305° 11.7 19
blue - uhf WFXT 25 FOX BOSTON, MA 305° 10.7 25

violet - uhf WTMU-LP 32 TEL BOSTON, MA 350° 7.3 32
* violet - uhf WHDN-DT 26.1 IND BOSTON, MA 1° 7.6 26
* violet - uhf WLVI-DT 56.1 CW CAMBRIDGE, MA 305° 10.7 41
* violet - uhf WSBK-DT 38.1 IND BOSTON, MA 305° 11.7 39
* violet - uhf WGBX-DT 44.1 PBS BOSTON, MA 305° 11.7 43
violet - uhf WFXZ-CA 24 BOX BOSTON, MA 306° 11.0 24
* violet - uhf WHDH-DT 7.1 NBC BOSTON, MA 308° 10.8 42

These are the three stations I watch/watched regularly:

WLVI-DT 56.1 CW CAMBRIDGE, MA 305° 10.7 41
WSBK-DT 38.1 IND BOSTON, MA 305° 11.7 39
WGBX-DT 44.1 PBS BOSTON, MA 305° 11.7 43 (already lost this one even with converter box)

To get these 3 channels in the violet zone AntennaWeb.org says...

"You need a Large Directional Antenna.

These large, multi-element rooftop antennas are used in weak signal areas for maximum possible TV reception. These antennas can be used in ANY LOCATION, but require an amplifier and roof mounting to receive blue and purple channels. Amplifiers are not recommended for yellow channels."

It also showed "Large Directional w/pre-amp" in the violet area of the diagram.

I tried TVFool.com using my street address with my 9-digit postal code. Here is the link for my TV Signal Analysis Results from TVFool when I asked for "Post-Transition - All Channels":

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...c0d56bbadda4a0

It looks like it tells a different story. Maybe it's the "Post-Transition" factor in TVFool?

Sorry for sending you all this info, but I don't know what to exclude. If it turns out I just can't interpret the info correctly I apologize profusely.

Thank you so much,

Stephanie
post #14 of 32 Old 05-25-2009, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

As noted above, Antennaweb.org is generally very conservative, but this takes the cake. Go with the TV Fool results.

What kind of antenna are you using now? Indoor rabbit ears or a roof-top antenna? If rooftop, how old is it and the cabling.

You shouldn't need anything larger than the 7694 that I mentioned above (no pre-amp should be needed). Also, you can probably easily get by with an antenna in your attic if not a better indoor antenna, if you are using rabbit ears only now.

In addition, I don't know if you have checked out the local Boston thread, but you may want to re-post the above info there for local advice:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...28454&page=302
post #15 of 32 Old 05-25-2009, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Good news Stephanie, you just saved yourself some cash. You should do just fine with the Winegard HD7694P. It should provide plenty of signal for 2-3 TV's on all the channels you are looking for.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?prod=HD7694P
post #16 of 32 Old 05-25-2009, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
About five or six years ago, when I used to look at the Boston area thread now and then, I remember that antennaweb had recommended a large, directional antenna for a couple of other members who were in suburban Boston, and while it didn't make much sense, they admittedly were having reception problems with the antennas they had.
post #17 of 32 Old 06-03-2009, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Here are my results from TVFool.com. They seem to be quite different than those from AntennaWeb.com. It looks like all the channels I want fall within the green zone. My latitude and longitude are 42.251889, and -71.021697.

Right now I'm using a TIVAX STB-8 converter box with an RCA Ant111 indoor antenna. I have lost channels WBPX-DT 68.1 ION, WFXT-DT 25.1 FOX, and WGBX-DT 44.1 PBS already.

I have televisions on both the east and west side of the house, but the cable from the new antenna would come in the east side. The previous owner had cable TV, and that's where the access point was. I have no attic.

As I look at AntennaWeb.com results vs. TVFool.com results I'm stunned by the disparity. Any advice?

Thanks,

Stephanie
post #18 of 32 Old 06-03-2009, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post

About five or six years ago, when I used to look at the Boston area thread now and then, I remember that antennaweb had recommended a large, directional antenna for a couple of other members who were in suburban Boston, and while it didn't make much sense, they admittedly were having reception problems with the antennas they had.

Hi AntAltMike,

See, now that's got me worried.
post #19 of 32 Old 06-03-2009, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Stephanie,

How long have you used your indoor antenna? How long has it been since you lost the three channels? What was their signal strength on your tv during the good times that you could receive these 3 channels? Could it be due to foliage returning to the trees? Is your residence surrounded by trees?
post #20 of 32 Old 06-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

If you don't mind putting up an outdoor antenna, the Winegard 7694P will be an excellent choice. It's probably the smallest VHF/UHF combo antenna out there, with very respectable gain figures.

As for indoor antennas, the TVFool results would seem to indicate you could pick them up with plain old rabbit ears and loop antenna. Maybe the walls are blocking too much signal (brick, aluminum siding, stucco with wire mesh, etc).

-- Kevin
post #21 of 32 Old 06-03-2009, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right now I'm using a TIVAX STB-8 converter box with an RCA Ant111 indoor antenna. I have lost channels WBPX-DT 68.1 ION, WFXT-DT 25.1 FOX, and WGBX-DT 44.1 PBS already.

My brother has that antenna and I was amazed at how thin the cable was on it. It is certainly not compare to RG6 or even RG59 quality. If you want to keep trying the indoor antenna approach, one of these might work:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=SHDTVI

WFXT upped their power recently, so they should be easier to receive. However, they are also broadcasting from higher up the tower, which, while normally good, could have changed the signal dynamics.

An outdoor antenna, such as the 7694 would be ideal, however.
post #22 of 32 Old 06-03-2009, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I look at AntennaWeb.com results vs. TVFool.com results I'm stunned by the disparity. Any advice?

Antennaweb's terrain dataset must have the ability to detect Forbes Hill, .3 miles NW of you. TVfool doesn't see it. Even then, I believe that Antennaweb is too conservative.

Yet, Antennaweb's map doesn't agree with it's own azimuth data.

If you use your coordinates for antennaweb and click on the "view street level" tab, it shows that channel 7 is aimed in a different direction about 25 degrees CCW from the others. The data says 3 degrees CW.

If you own one of the two story houses on the south side of the street I feel that a small 7-69 antenna mounted on the roof will work. Either the HBU-22 or HD7694P. If you live on the lower north side in the one story houses a slightly bigger antenna will give some safety margin.
post #23 of 32 Old 06-03-2009, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ross View Post

If you don't mind putting up an outdoor antenna, the Winegard 7694P will be an excellent choice. It's probably the smallest VHF/UHF combo antenna out there, with very respectable gain figures.

-- Kevin

The AntennaCraft HBU22 is about 5 inches longer, less gain, but $20 cheaper. It's a good antenna for urban outdoor to near suburban antenna. Probably if I were suburban at all, I would go 7694P as it has more gain. However I have plotted her location on Google maps, and the location of the towers. TVFool has her distance correct. I can't see any hills on Terrain mode on Google maps either. I think something is just blocking her signal from entering the house.

If there is really something there making her signal deep fringe, it's beyond me.

- Please don't PM with any thing that could be useful to the general group.
post #24 of 32 Old 06-03-2009, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The best advice is to ignore AntennaWeb. One of the worst resources ever put on the web for anything. AntennaWeb tells me I should receive two digitals, when in fact I receive 11. Put bluntly, AntennaWeb sucks.

TVFool's antenna recommendations are excellent. The stuff in green is indoor antenna worthy. The reds require an outdoor. The grays require a major outdoor antenna (a 4228 or a 91XG) plus pre-amp and rotator.

You're going to get very good results with very little antenna.
post #25 of 32 Old 06-04-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie View Post

I can't see any hills on Terrain mode on Google maps either. If there is really something there making her signal deep fringe, it's beyond me.

Forbe's Hill doesn't show up in Google. It does on 7.5 minute topo maps.

http://mapserver.mytopo.com/homepage...latlontype=DMS
post #26 of 32 Old 06-04-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post

Forbe's Hill doesn't show up in Google. It does on 7.5 minute topo maps.

http://mapserver.mytopo.com/homepage...latlontype=DMS

Go into terrain mode and you can see Forbes Hill on Google. It looks like she would be shooting just along the edge of it. Just about Adams St.

- Please don't PM with any thing that could be useful to the general group.
post #27 of 32 Old 06-11-2009, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick View Post

Stephanie,

How long have you used your indoor antenna? How long has it been since you lost the three channels? What was their signal strength on your tv during the good times that you could receive these 3 channels? Could it be due to foliage returning to the trees? Is your residence surrounded by trees?

I started losing channels last October. The first to go was WFXT - ch. 25 (FOX), next I believe was WBPX - ch.68 (ION), and then WGBX - ch. 44 (PBS). I don't know what their signal strength was, but all three channels came in beautifully.

As a matter of fact my house is surrounded by trees, tall ones.
post #28 of 32 Old 06-11-2009, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_77 View Post

My brother has that antenna and I was amazed at how thin the cable was on it. It is certainly not compare to RG6 or even RG59 quality. If you want to keep trying the indoor antenna approach, one of these might work:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=SHDTVI

WFXT upped their power recently, so they should be easier to receive. However, they are also broadcasting from higher up the tower, which, while normally good, could have changed the signal dynamics.

An outdoor antenna, such as the 7694 would be ideal, however.

Thanks, Falcon_77.

You're right, the RCA ANT 111 does have a thin cable. Just to be on the safe side, I've decided to go with an outdoor antenna (plus, I've already bought an extension ladder).

I've made a short list, and the 7694 is on it.

I'm doing this all on Friday and I know I'll be without TV for a short amount of time, hopefully.

I'll let you know what I end up using. Thanks again.
post #29 of 32 Old 06-12-2009, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Several of you have mentioned and/or recommended the Winegard HD7694P, so I'm going to give it a try. I'll pick one up this morning and let you all know how I make out.

Thanks, everyone.

Stephanie
post #30 of 32 Old 06-12-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Good luck Stephanie! Keep us posted!
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version