Bad Reception - Comcast - only certain channels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-05-2009, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey. I'm having reception problems in one room of my house. I have very little knowledge of cable / HDTV etc. I have comcast and i'm in the philly area (wilmington, de). I have a couple HDTV's in my house and they all work fine except 1. The one i'm having trouble with is in my room. I have a DVR cable box and certain channels do not work. Sometimes they will work for a couple hours but for the most part the screen says one moment please this channel will be available shortly. I was thinking i need some sort of signal booster but to be honest i really have no idea. On demand only works sometimes as well. Anyone else have these problems? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

It sounds like either the cabling (or more likely, the connectors) from the splitter to your room is bad, or the splitter itself. If it's a 3-way splitter, most 3-ways are asymmetrical, meaning they don't split the signal evenly to all 3 ports. You will get a 3.5 dB loss of signal on one port, and a 7 dB loss on the other two. Maybe your room is hooked up to the -7dB port?
post #3 of 5 Old 06-05-2009, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

i do have a splitter but it worked fine about 2 months ago at my old place. This is the last room in the house that the cable was run to so the cable is running through the entire house up to my room. there are 7 tv's in my house right now. so my thought was that the signal strength was very weak after running the cable to all the other tv's. the splitter i have has 1 cable in and 2 out. on the two outputs it does say -3.5db. does this mean i need a signal booster of some kind? or would a quality splitter do the job. Once again i do not know much about how cable works and the db's and things of that nature. Thanks for all your help. Where should i go from here?
post #4 of 5 Old 06-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Since you're using a 2-way splitter, but you have 7 TV's, then that splitter must be connected to another splitter. Yeah it definitely sounds like you're losing too much signal strength. A powered 8-port distribution amplifier, with every TV line going directly to it, would be a good choice, like this one: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=CM3418. An in-line amplifier, inserted before the splitter, should also work.

But before spending any money, you can try a few things out. Try removing the splitter, and joining the cable that goes to your room, to the input cable to the splitter, using a straight-through connector like this: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...prod=PV05F81HF. You can get them for about a dollar at Home Depot, Lowes, Radio Shack, etc. This will give you a stronger signal to your room. This should tell you if it's just a low signal level problem or not.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-05-2009, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

thanks buddy. removing the splitter to test that is a great idea. i cant believe i didn't think of that. haha. i've probably been too busy cursing the tv. Thanks again.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page