A day of reckoning has arrived. The End Of Analog TV In The United States. - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Bout Dang Time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wawho!!!

OK, I'M BACK
post #33 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 79
The end of US TV transmissions without macroblocking. It's a sad day indeed. You served us well analog for so many years. R.I.P. The devil's digital has won ... for now.

post #34 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

The end of US TV transmissions without macroblocking. It's a sad day indeed. You served us well analog for so many years. R.I.P. The devil's digital has won ... for now.

Also the end of fuzzy, ghosted images. And impulse noise.

However, I am aware of the various advantages (and disadvantages) of both analog and digital TV.

I really get a kick out of high-definition sports broadcasts, though.

And many sitcoms are quite beautiful in 1080i.
(House, ER, CSI, Law & Order look spectacular on a 42" DLP...)

Always tweaking, modifying and re-arranging my electronics....
post #35 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 09:18 AM

Agreed bob. stillwater oklahoma here. Wish KOCO would actually turn off its analog and not nightlight ugh!!! now gotta see how much this hailstorm is gonna cost me those baseball sized hail killed my 08 civic this morning. Im gonna miss the talking ghosts too.white noise.
post #36 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

South Bend's WSJV 28.1 has moved to RF 28 and looks pretty good.
They had cut off analog 28 weeks ago and were on pre-transition 58.
The only change left in the South Bend market (other than eventual LP changes).
post #37 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
I have always thought this government/corporate "Digital conversion" garbage was a bad idea.
As for not effecting those on cable, not so fast. Sure, you'll still have your channels and all, but your bill will reflect a massive increase (20% in most areas to 40% in some), and when you call about it you will be handed BS excuses such as "well, it cost more to transmit digital signal" and "the stations charge more now", etc. (I found this out from grilling the rep at my former cable company when I called to disconnect).

I'm glad I'm not effected by the transition because I don't do TV anymore. (I disconnected from that grid about a year ago and I didn't even have my LCD screen until Febuary 09 and didn't unbox it until April 09 and I was fine. In fact, I felt liberated! If I want to watch something it's usually educational or intelligent and I just pop in a DVD or now, stream it from the internet or something.

My mum has cable and when I look at her TV at her house (Time Warner is her carrier by the way) I don't see any improvements. (HD cost extra with Time Warner, their commercials lie).
post #38 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

NBC, ABC, and CW all have shut off their analog signals. I also lost their digital signals as well, lol. I guess that's what they meant when they said you need to rescan after the switch. Well, I can't scan until ALL analog stations shut off because I don't want them getting mixed in the added channel list after I scan.
post #39 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle View Post

NBC, ABC, and CW all have shut off their analog signals. I also lost their digital signals as well, lol. I guess that's what they meant when they said you need to rescan after the switch. Well, I can't scan until ALL analog stations shut off because I don't want them getting mixed in the added channel list after I scan.

Yer only allowed one re-scan per month so yes, you should wait another week or two...
post #40 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My dear friend Ana Log has passed on... R.I.P.
post #41 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post

Yer only allowed one re-scan per month so yes, you should wait another week or two...

It's not that. It's just that it's a hassle to rescan. After I scan, I'll have to delete all the garbage channels. Anyways, I rescanned just now and yes, now I have a bunch of channels that need to be deleted.

What a mess this is! I completely lost the CBS-HD station. They're probably moving the signal around or something. Channels keep constantly changing, requiring frequent rescans. This is soooo annoying. I can't wait until this is over with.
post #42 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

It's not that. It's just that it's a hassle to rescan. After I scan, I'll have to delete all the garbage channels. Anyways, I rescanned just now and yes, now I have a bunch of channels that need to be deleted.

What a mess this is! I completely lost the CBS-HD station. They're probably moving the signal around or something. Channels keep constantly changing, requiring frequent rescans. This is soooo annoying. I can't wait until this is over with.

Maybe you need to watch some movies today. There's some major changes happening today that take time. Tune in and rescan tomorrow.
post #43 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post

Woah! You mean the powers that be are even using draconian law?
If so, it's worse than my little scenerio!
What happens if someone does two scans in a month? Do they get fined or jailed or something?

(Now more than ever I'm glad I disconnected form the TV grid)!
post #44 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Deleting unwanted channels IS a pain. What we need is fer some bright young fellow to design a specialized infrared remote in the shape of a HANDGUN. You aim it at the set, pull the trigger and BLAMMO, that channel is deleted from the saved list...
post #45 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesickstan View Post

my dear friend ana log has passed on... R.i.p.

lol!
post #46 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Since we don't know what market you're in, we can't give much more specific information about channel/RF channel changes and the like.

Go here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45

And ask in your local HDTV Reception thread.
post #47 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubisrocks View Post

(Now more than ever I'm glad I disconnected form the TV grid)!

And yet you read/post in an HDTV forum!

(I know, I know... You did say you watch DVDs/streaming video & educational programming.)

I don't lurk in motorcycle forums and harp on the other posters about the dangers of motorcycles....
I simply don't visit those forums at all.

Something about the "holier than thou" people, whether it be Reading vs TV, "off the grid folks", people that haven't watched broadcast tv in the last 10 years, etc....
Why can't you do your thing, and let other people do theirs?

Always tweaking, modifying and re-arranging my electronics....
post #48 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesickstan View Post

Maybe you need to watch some movies today. There's some major changes happening today that take time. Tune in and rescan tomorrow.

I know. I have cable too. It's just that I also set up OTA as well because let's face it, cable isn't reliable. I had the channel list all set up on my TV but because of the switch, I'll have to re-do that list. So, yeah, I'll wait until tomorrow to do the rescan, but I'll be away all weekend, so I may not have a chance to do it until Monday.

I see CBS and NBC are doing night light, so I may have to do another re-scan after those finish, which will be next month.
post #49 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

Since we don't know what market you're in, we can't give much more specific information about channel/RF channel changes and the like.

Go here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45

And ask in your local HDTV Reception thread.

Thanks. My area is New York, NY and I found the thread on that link. Looks like other people also lost CBS-HD temporarily.
post #50 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strudel.chris View Post

And yet you read/post in an HDTV forum!

(I know, I know... You did say you watch DVDs/streaming video & educational programming.)

I don't lurk in motorcycle forums and harp on the other posters about the dangers of motorcycles....
I simply don't visit those forums at all.

Something about the "holier than thou" people, whether it be Reading vs TV, "off the grid folks", people that haven't watched broadcast tv in the last 10 years, etc....
Why can't you do your thing, and let other people do theirs?

Get off me! I did not mean anything like that. I'm not harping on anyone. I'd thank you to read my posts correctly please, I keep it very general just about the overall situation. I'm no better than anyone else anywhere, in fact I'm probably the worst there is.
Merely mentioned that I'm off the grid and glad I don't have to deal with the mess right now. I feel sorry for the folks that are pulling their hair out, which is why I asked Wizard about the "one scan per month thing. I was not sure if he was serious or not as a lot of folks here are very up on things. In the end it's only TV and I'm sure in short order everyone will be happy again.

It was just an interesting subject and just passing through.
I have no need to venture in here anymore if my rights to free speech are going to be trampled.
post #51 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I feel sorry for the folks that are pulling their hair out, which is why I asked Wizard about the "one scan per month thing. I was not sure if he was serious or not as a lot of folks here are very up on things.

Well, I just scanned three times today. So, shhhh. Don't tell anyone. I'm gonna go run and hide.
post #52 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 12:29 PM

Did anyone recored this event??

I'm going to check youtube tomorrow night
post #53 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:

I have no need to venture in here anymore if my rights to free speech are going to be trampled.

Right. Your rights to free speech on a privately owned and operated internet forum are being trampled.
post #54 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Skimming through a number of the local forums, the tropo is very strong today in much of the eastern half of the US. My FM car radio was breaking up on several not that far DC stations and that almost never happens for those 2 stations where I live. The tropo is adding a unexpected twist to the station moves to VHF!

The station changes are still in progress in DC and Baltimore markets, but the early reports are not good for the stations that moved to upper VHF. At the moment, I have lost WBAL-DT NBC 11 and WJZ-DT CBS 13 in Baltimore at 43 miles where before they were ok on UHF. I will have to experiment with the antennas in the attic for location and aim, but if WJZ-DT and WBAL-DT are operating at their stated immediate post-transition power, it does not look good at all.
post #55 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 12:42 PM

KCRA 3 just went Nightlife
post #56 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:

When did the right of free speech become redefined as the right not to be disagreed with? I see this more and more these days, and it really bothers me. You have the perfect (within the rules of this forum) right to free speech, but so does anyone who takes exception to your speech, no matter how strongly (as long as they stay within the rules).
post #57 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 01:04 PM

Greg actually hit the nail on the head: "Freedom of Speech" refers to the right to free from government control over what you say. The forum has the right, and does use that power, to control what people say here.
post #58 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Greg actually hit the nail on the head: "Freedom of Speech" refers to the right to free from government control over what you say. The forum has the right, and does use that power, to control what people say here.

Which is why I said "within the rules of the forum". I realize that the First Amendment has no actual legal force here, but most good forums I've seen at least try to honor its spirit, within reason.

But we digress....

More reports from the field, please! Only a couple of channels have gone down so far in Boston, and I've yet to see any cool sign-off ceremonies.
post #59 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The thread title should be changed to "A day of reckoning has arrived. The End Of Freedom Of Speech In The AVS Forum." Not a bad idea since that's what people seem to want to talk about over here.
post #60 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Z-z-z-z-z...... use cable. On July 12th, re-scan when your nightlight stations convert. Whiners attract criticisms. Get some tougher skin.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page