A day of reckoning has arrived. The End Of Analog TV In The United States. - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wasn't able to keep an eye on the Southeast MN stations today, but I will be curious if people do post videos on Youtube of the various stations shutting down their analog signals.

(Hmm... I'll have to check if any of my local stations are shutting down, say, at 11:59pm tonight... I know a couple of my local stations shut did down their analog signal a couple of months back... Must have been during the "previous" shutdown deadline)

I like some of the descriptions that people have posted where they had a camera at the broadcast antenna, with live footage of the shutdown of their analog signal.

Always tweaking, modifying and re-arranging my electronics....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Ignore the whiners and trolls - they'll get discouraged and go away. If they continue, use the "Ignore" function of the forum.

All that's left in analog in the Philly area is a nightlight on Channel 3, a full-power Spanish UHF on 65, and a rim-shot channel 69 from Allentown. The latter two are scheduled to nuke their analogs tonight.

There are still a bunch of low-power-type informercial, religious and Spanish stations, that I wasn't even aware of before playing with the analog today. These things seem to be replicating at an astonishing rate. Who watches this stuff?

Harry
post #63 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 03:02 PM

I know what you mean, harry... I have 2 analog religious stations in my area.

No infomercial ones, though.... At least those ones could have some eye-rolling entertainment value. (maybe...)

Heh...
Regarding my comment of Youtube captures of analog shutdowns: Ask and ye shall recieve!

post #64 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strudel.chris View Post

I wasn't able to keep an eye on the Southeast MN stations today, but I will be curious if people do post videos on Youtube of the various stations shutting down their analog signals.

The "companion" thread to this one:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post16634626

has posted a number of shutdown videos today, including one featuring Paul Stanley from KISS throwing the switch!
post #65 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobColby View Post

The "companion" thread to this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post16634626

has posted a number of shutdown videos today, including one featuring Paul Stanley from KISS throwing the switch!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.... Nice!

I'll definitely have to check out those links when I get home...

post #66 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

Skimming through a number of the local forums, the tropo is very strong today in much of the eastern half of the US. My FM car radio was breaking up on several not that far DC stations and that almost never happens for those 2 stations where I live. The tropo is adding a unexpected twist to the station moves to VHF!

Yeah, this morning on the way to work, an FM station I never have trouble with--WOI in Ames--was breaking up and fading out. If that kind of atmospheric activity is going on when you re-scan, it could certainly affect on what stations you get.

I'm figuring on just not doing a re-scan until tomorrow or even Sunday, since I'm not ruling out "technical difficulties" for stations doing flash-cuts or moving their digital signal to a new frequency.

'Tis a Brave New World!
post #67 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

All of the analog stations in my area (New York, NY) are shut off except for FOX and WWOR, which are both scheduled to shut off at 11:59 tonight.
post #68 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 06:23 PM

all the stations that were supposed to shut down at noon over here, haven't. Or at least from what I'm seeing.
post #69 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubisrocks View Post

(Now more than ever I'm glad I disconnected form the TV grid)!

So are we.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #70 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Liked: 11
Seems like the sky is not falling so far today.

At the CEA line show yesterday all concerned seemed pretty optimistic. Some inevitable problems expected but no crisis anticipated. A quick scan of the newscasts and major web news sites are not showing any rampaging mob stories yet. Maybe tomorrow but not today .

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #71 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

Seems like the sky is not falling so far today.

At the CEA line show yesterday all concerned seemed pretty optimistic. Some inevitable problems expected but no crisis anticipated. A quick scan of the newscasts and major web news sites are not showing any rampaging mob stories yet. Maybe tomorrow but not today .

I'm still curious to see how it goes in Los Angeles (250,000 unready households).
post #72 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 07:38 PM

Pardon my ignorance...but why am I still stuck with a crappy analog signal? I have dish through my apartment complex, and it is just a coax from the wall. Shouldn't I be getting digital from them now?

I R CONFUUUSSED
post #73 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 08:19 PM

Mobs will come tomorrow when kids go to watch their cartoons and get nothing. Parents will panic due to screaming kids and rush to retailers. Only to come home and find they need a better antenna.
post #74 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackass414 View Post

Pardon my ignorance...but why am I still stuck with a crappy analog signal? I have dish through my apartment complex, and it is just a coax from the wall. Shouldn't I be getting digital from them now?

I R CONFUUUSSED

If you have cable or DBS, the analog cutoff will have no effect on you.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #75 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 08:37 PM

The only analog station I could get now..when visit my nephew's in Sacramento is Ch. 8..

How many watts does a station need to be consider a low power station
post #76 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 36
WPXI/11 Pittsburgh, WNWO/24 Toledo and WFMJ/21 Youngstown can breathe easily, with the Stanley Cup Finals Game 7 ending. All three stations have an 11:59 PM time tonight, and most of 'em said it was due to the NHL contest.

WDIV/4 Detroit apparently made the switch this morning, and most Detroit market viewers could also pick up the game on CBC's analog 9, CBET.

WPXI will be able to shut down analog 11 tonight at 11:59, which means CW affiliate WPCW/19 will be able to slide right in on digital 11.
post #77 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackass414 View Post

I R CONFUUUSSED

If you have DISH Network you have been watching digital signals since you first turned on the receiver. DBS services don't broadcast in analog (although they did relay analog TV stations as digital until they moved their receivers over to digital).

If you have just a coax from the wall and no receiver then your apartment complex is doing the conversion to analog ... received off of their own digital equipment.

If I've answered a post with a with too much detail I'm sorry.
post #78 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 10:35 PM

I'm trying to figure out wh my CM7000 locked in 57.1 through 57.30

One of our stations was on 57.1 - 57.4 until they moved back to 12, but there never was anything above 57.4
post #79 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 10:38 PM

Beaumont/Port Arthur, Texas area here.

I was fortunate enough to be asked to be the one to turn off the KFDM channel 6 analog transmitter for the last time.

I stated on the air that it felt like I was turning off the life support of an old friend.

I will miss analog, but I embrace the new technology and history has been made today. I am glad that I was able to be at least a small part of it.

All 4 or our full power analogs are gone now, with no one in our area nightlighting. The closest nightlight, which I was able to get tonight because of the unusual atmospheric conditions, is over 100 miles away.

It is a brave, cool, new world this evening.
post #80 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Reading the DC-Baltimore thread and skimming through some of the other major market local threads, the move of many stations back to their upper VHF channel is not going very well. A wide range of results from everything is fine to no detection at all. Have to wait a day to see how it settles out and get past the tropo issues affecting much of the east.
post #81 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 11:25 PM

Here in the land where it actually did snow this last week (and yes I do mean the weather) I re-scanned and did not get any digital signals today.

Analog I was getting 3,7,13 and 19 (cbs,nbc,pbs and fox).
Now I am just getting 7 analog.
3 is trying to go digital but the FCC wont OK the contruction permit until November this year. 13 went digital and I lost the signal. 19 has signal on the zenith box signal meter but not enough for a picture.
I tried several different antennas and brought them back because they are not as good as the rabbit ears and the bow tie that came with the set.

My landlord wont let me have an outside antenna so if it weren't for 7 analog today would have been a total disaster.

I called the "CALLFCC" number and the gal said "let me forward you to someone who can help" and surprisingly I got disconnected.

We are in the Canadian border zone so maybe we can turn the analogs back on until Canada shuts theirs off?

No good over the air signals here. I am going to have to look into IPTV finally and see what that is all about.
post #82 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:

My landlord wont let me have an outside antenna so if it weren't for 7 analog today would have been a total disaster.

You may be able to fight them on that with FCC support depending on your circumstances.
post #83 of 255 Old 06-12-2009, 11:47 PM

Good luck to anyone that's more then 25 miles from your transmitters getting VHF digital - total disaster over here for me.
post #84 of 255 Old 06-13-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strudel.chris View Post

I really get a kick out of high-definition sports broadcasts, though.

So do I - when it's not macroblocking, which is generally more often than any other kind of programming.
post #85 of 255 Old 06-13-2009, 12:29 AM

NY Times Articles:

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...nds/?ref=media

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/13/bu...ml?_r=1&ref=us

Got a kick out of this blurb:

Quote:

On “The Late Show” on CBS Friday, David Letterman’s top ten list of “questions Congress is receiving about the digital transition” included, at No. 4, “Uh… is that today?”

post #86 of 255 Old 06-13-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser Eh View Post

My landlord wont let me have an outside antenna

Well tell your landlord to f off. The FCC will back you up:
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #87 of 255 Old 06-13-2009, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...0,827601.story

Quote:

So far, so good.

Though some people woke up Friday morning to find their television programs missing from the airwaves, the nation's transition to an all-digital TV broadcast has thus far not resulted in pandemonium.

Quote:

TV stations on the East Coast and elsewhere reported that the volume of calls from confused viewers was "low to moderate." Retail stores, girded for an onslaught of customers seeking digital converter boxes for their analog sets, found they had plenty in stock to satisfy Friday's spike in demand. And many viewers, though unhappy about the expense and inconvenience, appeared resigned to making the change.

Stations across the nation that made the switch earlier in the day reported receiving an average of 130 calls each by midafternoon Friday, according to the National Assn. of Broadcasters.

"Television stations are largely prepared for these calls and are doing everything possible to ensure a successful transition," said Jonathan Collegio, the NAB's vice president for digital television.

In Los Angeles, some stations reported even fewer calls. Asian-language station KSCI-TV Channel 18 turned off its analog signals at 11 a.m. Friday and fielded about 100 calls by midafternoon. Most of the callers asked for information on how to get a converter box and how to apply for the $40 government coupon for it, said Bill Welty, KSCI's vice president of engineering.

Quote:

Public-television station KCET-TV Channel 28, which had turned off its analog signal Thursday night, had just 16 calls by late Friday afternoon.

"There was that moment when we turned off the signal and held our breaths," said Bohdan Zachary, KCET's vice president of broadcasting. "But it's been surprisingly quiet."

Things were also calm at the Cypress Senior Center, which got just four inquiries on the topic Friday, said the center's administrative assistant, Natalie Clark.

Earlier this year, just before President Obama approved a four-month postponement of the conversion from Feb. 17 to June 12, the center was deluged with questions, Clark said. There's a chance that people will call back when their screens go blank over the weekend. But Clark said it was more likely that patrons had their act together, thanks to constant reminders in the center's newsletters and brochures.

"I'm surprised that we didn't get more questions," she said.

Jana O'Leary, a spokeswoman for Target Corp., said that though sales of converters exceeded the company's expectations, stores still had many on hand Friday afternoon.

A Y2K type reaction is good.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #88 of 255 Old 06-13-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat lady View Post

Beaumont/Port Arthur, Texas area here.

I was fortunate enough to be asked to be the one to turn off the KFDM channel 6 analog transmitter for the last time.

I stated on the air that it felt like I was turning off the life support of an old friend.

I will miss analog, but I embrace the new technology and history has been made today. I am glad that I was able to be at least a small part of it.

All 4 or our full power analogs are gone now, with no one in our area nightlighting. The closest nightlight, which I was able to get tonight because of the unusual atmospheric conditions, is over 100 miles away.

It is a brave, cool, new world this evening.

Somewhere in storage, I have a letter from a station in the Beaumont/Port Arthur/Orange area (channel 4, I believe), confirming reception of their signal in this part of Virginia, sometime during the mid 70s. It used to be in a frame (and probably still is), hanging on a wall in my bedroom at the time.
post #89 of 255 Old 06-13-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh5916 View Post

Somewhere in storage, I have a letter from a station in the Beaumont/Port Arthur/Orange area (channel 4, I believe), confirming reception of their signal in this part of Virginia, sometime during the mid 70s. It used to be in a frame (and probably still is), hanging on a wall in my bedroom at the time.

Wow. That is some DX. That (at that time) would have been KJAC, an NBC station (now KBTV and FOX).

While I was at the station yesterday, there was what looked like an old LP record hanging on the wall. When I inquired about it, I was told that it was a recording of commercials for the old KFDM radio station from back in the 40's.

The record is plastic covered aluminum and was cut from the inside to the outside. I had never seen any such thing, and before I left, they presented me with one to take home.
post #90 of 255 Old 06-13-2009, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

tropo issues affecting much of the east.

Reception is pretty wild down here. WUNE in Linville NC moved its digital signal from ch 54 to 17 last night. Right now it's preventing me from even scanning WLTX in Columbia SC on the same channel, with my antenna aimed towards Columbia and Linville about 90° off axis.

WUNE: 100 kW at 109 miles
WLTX: 1000 kW at 69 miles

According to tvfool.com, both stations have a 2Edge signal path, and WUNE should be about 26 dB weaker than WLTX.

Before last night, WUNE had its analog signal (1550 kW) on ch 17, and it sometimes interfered with WLTX, causing occasional to frequent picture breakups. I was hoping that their new digital signal would cause less trouble. Looks like I'll have to wait a bit to see the normal result.

Also, this morning I'm seeing for the very first time, another station in nearly the same direction as WUNE: WHKY in Hickory NC (ch 40, 600 kW at 92 miles). It has no competition as far as I know; until February there was an analog station at about 20 miles that obliterated it for me. According to tvfool, it should be about the same strength as WUNE here, but for some reason I could never see it even though I could occasionally see WUNE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page