A day of reckoning has arrived. The End Of Analog TV In The United States. - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2009, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zindar View Post

I'm really enjoying watching HD for the first time in my life. So this is what it looks like.

Well, not really. This is just what it looks like now. It actually looked a lot better just a few short years ago.

You used to be able to count the blades of grass at an outdoor sporting event. Now, the grass is usually too much of a "swimming" mess to distinguish between the different blades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Well, not really. This is just what it looks like now. It actually looked a lot better just a few short years ago.

You used to be able to count the blades of grass at an outdoor sporting event. Now, the grass is usually too much of a "swimming" mess to distinguish between the different blades.

Wow; then I'd like to see that. When will that kind of quality return?
Old 07-15-2009, 02:24 AM

Probably never. Those days are past us.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 66
DTV Transition Notes
Nielsen: Month After DTV Switch, 1.3% of Country Unready for Digital
1.5 million don't have DTV set or converter box hooked up, but numbers lowering
By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 7/16/2009 11:16:07 AM EDT

According to Nielsen, 1.5 million TV households, or 1.3% of the country, were unready for DTV as of July 12, a month after the June 12 transition date.

That is down 200,000 households from the 1.7 million households that weren't ready two weeks before, according to the latest Nielsen figures.

Nielsen defines unready as homes that rely on over-the-air TV and don't have a digital TV set or a DTV-to-analog set-top converter hooked up.

It was Nielsen's 5 million homes-plus unreadiness figure back in January and early February that many in Congress used to buttress their arguments for moving the DTV hard date to June 12.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...or_Digital.php

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
Old 07-16-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

DTV Transition Notes
Nielsen: Month After DTV Switch, 1.3% of Country Unready for Digital
1.5 million don't have DTV set or converter box hooked up, but numbers lowering
By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 7/16/2009 11:16:07 AM EDT

According to Nielsen, 1.5 million TV households, or 1.3% of the country, were unready for DTV as of July 12, a month after the June 12 transition date.

Isn't it about time we started calling these so-called "unready" households "just don't give a rat's ***" households and move on already.

The sky did not fall.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Isn't it about time we started calling these so-called "unready" households "just don't give a rat's ***" households and move on already.

LOL!! How true.
They had years of warning, public announcements, extended deadlines and subsidizing of converter purchases.

I personally have no sympathy (nor care) for the "lost sheep".
Old 07-16-2009, 11:20 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

The sky did not fall.

Maybe not for you, but you don't speak for anyone other than yourself. You might think differently if you lived somewhere that can no longer receive OTA no matter what you did and could barely afford to eat let alone pay for satellite.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by confuzzled View Post

Maybe not for you, but you don't speak for anyone other than yourself. You might think differently if you lived somewhere that can no longer receive OTA no matter what you did and could barely afford to eat let alone pay for satellite.

Yes, unfortunately there are some affected negatively that may not have other options, for whatever reason.

As I've said before, I'd like to see some kind of DBS or cable initiative to help those in need.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 07-16-2009, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by confuzzled View Post

You might think differently if you lived somewhere that can no longer receive OTA ...

The response is/was based on the article which states:

"1.5 million don't have DTV set or converter box hooked up.." and "... 1.3% of the country, were unready for DTV as of July 12, a month after the June 12 transition date."

Being unprepared is not the same as "bad reception".
Old 07-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does either of the satellite carriers offer a low cost locals only package? If not, it would seem that there is a market for such a thing. Cable offers locals only at low cost but if you are out in the country this is not an option.

Rory
Old 07-16-2009, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Boyce View Post

Does either of the satellite carriers offer a low cost locals only package? If not, it would seem that there is a market for such a thing. Cable offers locals only at low cost but if you are out in the country this is not an option.

Dish does (about $10-11 /month) for a single receiver , I haven't checked DirecTV.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
Old 07-16-2009, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't see how the poor are negatively affected. Weren't there free converter boxes for them to get from the government? If they were receiving analog OTA before, and those stations have gone digital, I'd think they could use the government paid-for free converter boxes now.

Well, I guess in the rare exceptional cases where a station shut down rather than coverting to digital.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zindar View Post

I don't see how the poor are negatively affected. Weren't there free converter boxes for them to get from the government? If they were receiving analog OTA before, and those stations have gone digital, I'd think they could use the government paid-for free converter boxes now.

Well, I guess in the rare exceptional cases where a station shut down rather than coverting to digital.

few boxes were free ever. the quality (in my view) ones were never free.

you could get analog that might be less than quality but still watchable. a digital signal at that same strength is not strong enough to be tuned in.

even some areas that had better quality analog signals don't get digital due to now being UHF or other issues.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:56 PM

The flyers Dish kept sending promoted a $10 package. But read the fine print, if you can, it was 1" x 10.5" block of 6 point text over a graphic background. Never could read the whole thing, eyes have too much jitter to track the middle lines all the way across. It's a 24 month contract, the price is good for only 6, and there are additional costs for rental fees and taxes. Plus alot of typical corporate we-own-your-axe crap that just does not exist with an over-the-air antenna.

FTA satellite could be viable alternative if all the national networks were available. Near as I can tell, capital costs are always higher than OTA, ranging from quite-a-bit to that's-stupid, and it becomes a mandatory hobby.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There are a lot of people that just do not watch very much TV. I know that is hard to believe by the members of this forum who probably watch lots of TV. Some of these people maybe watch TV once a month. So when June 12th came these people noted they needed to get a converter box and put it on their low priority to do list.

There is no great outrage needed for their situation.

Rick R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement