Stories of the Digital TV Transition - What happened when analog went off the air. - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was able to catch two interesting shutoffs here in the Seattle area. I posted them on youtube...

KSTW 11 Seattle, WA shutdown (11:59 am): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVeTB5tkGrM

KCPQ 13 Seattle, WA shutdown (8:59 am): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ9KCQtWF-c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great. I only have two TV's. On is an HDTV and the other is a PC with an ATSC tuner. I'm selling my 2 tube TVs at our neighborhood garage sale in a few weeks. They were in the kids room, they need to see half the crap on TV now days anyway! I'm sure people will have issue!

Most don't know they need a antenna with both VHF and UHF!

PS- Is it just me? Or is the video and signal quality better now?
post #33 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 03:37 PM

I won't be watching the CW, ION, or RTN affiliates from boston anymore, not a single spec of a picture on any of them, always got the analogs in great.

Might lose WHDH and THIS tonight after they go to VHF.

post #34 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoge21 View Post

I won't be watching the CW, ION, or RTN affiliates from boston anymore, not a single spec of a picture on any of them, always got the analogs in great.

Might lose WHDH and THIS tonight after they go to VHF.

Look, you need to take your antenna out of the basement and put it on the roof. I live in Reading, 8 or 9 miles S of you and they come in fine. My main struggle is that I can't get Ch 11 from NH so I may need to get a VHF antenna to pair with my UHF one...
post #35 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Have you considered Prozac?

Yeah I like it, so what? I listened for laughs and that wasn't every single day....

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #36 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Very uneventful here in Cleveland. Only thing special that happened was WEWS analog cut away from "real" programming at 9:50 and showed a 10 minute loop of information about DTV and specifically WEWS---their phone number, website. Other channels went right up until the time. I officially watched WOIO go off the air. Right before 10AM, there was a Time Warner commercial on almost every channel, then WOIO had their own message about DTV. After that the picture went black, then turned to fuzz. WKYC launched its analog nightlight programming and WJW did a flash cut to VHF-8. WJW's flash cut only took about a minute and a half. Now only a PBS and a Spanish channel remains until 11:59 tonight.
post #37 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

ABC just did a story on the national news.

A number of errors like; affects older sets with rabbit ears (no mention of roof top antennas), doesn't affect people who watch on their computer (a NTSC tuner in your computer will cease as well, they didn't limit program source to internet as they probably intended).

But very goofy they said the government expects unprepared people to be distressed tomorrow (even though shutoff has been all throughout today) and they will call then, illustrating this they had a image of a tv with picture disappear to snow and static and then that changed to a 'no signal' screen like the Zenith/Insignia. I can understand the message but it doesn't makes sense in reality (that does not compute).

When the TV media can't get stories on TV right...
post #38 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Lost a couple of Washington HD channels, gained a couple of others. Other than that it was a normal day.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #39 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

Not going to be able to receive signals on my 5" color televsion. How are others handling this with portable televisions?

I got a ATSC tuner that plugs into a USB port on my laptop and it's worked great from Sacramento to Seattle. I pack some rabbit ears and a UHF loop antenna. I'm running Linux and use mplayer. Every city I visit adds more stations to the channel list.

I guess this isn't exactly what people think of when they say "portable television".

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #40 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

Very uneventful here in Cleveland. Only thing special that happened was WEWS analog cut away from "real" programming at 9:50 and showed a 10 minute loop of information about DTV and specifically WEWS---their phone number, website. Other channels went right up until the time. I officially watched WOIO go off the air. Right before 10AM, there was a Time Warner commercial on almost every channel, then WOIO had their own message about DTV. After that the picture went black, then turned to fuzz. WKYC launched its analog nightlight programming and WJW did a flash cut to VHF-8. WJW's flash cut only took about a minute and a half. Now only a PBS and a Spanish channel remains until 11:59 tonight.

Boston appears to be the inverse of your town. Only WBZ 4 (CBS) and its affiliated indie WSBK 38 have transitioned so far today. Everything else scheduled for today appears to be going right up to 11:59.
post #41 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

NewsHour with Jim Lehrer on PBS did an OK story. Accurately said the transition wouldn't be complete until 12:01 AM on Saturday. Interviewee said 75% of OTA would be just fine. Fringe viewers may need to improve antenna such as move outdoors and some may loose stations. Large number of phoned in complaints were due to not rescanning.
post #42 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The local NBC, WETM, shifted its ATSC signal from VHF freq 2 to the UHF freq 18 slot its analog feed occupied just after Midnight. My SONY TV (KDL46Z4100) is the only device seeing it. Everything else is still looking for it @ VHF freq 2.
post #43 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 06:50 PM

Liked: 11
My Video of Ch. 13 Sacramento going off the analogg air

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCc1ADVfwdw
post #44 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 07:20 PM

Liked: 20
Thought I lost a couple of channels, then I went into the living room and re-scanned with the TiVo HD and they were all good.

That just proves that this "DTV Pal" I have really is a piece of crud.

Gonna replace that with the CM-7000 from the other room as soon as I can get to it.
post #45 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
nothing really here in the NYC market for WABC-TV

I caught it on camera but not WCBS which I heard played the national anthem and displayed something else before the station went off the air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO2M4x7Rnq8
post #46 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Topics merged.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #47 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

nothing really here in the NYC market for WABC-TV

I caught it on camera but not WCBS which I heard played the national anthem and displayed something else before the station went off the air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO2M4x7Rnq8

WWOR and WNYW are not planning anything special for tonight unlike WCBS. Hopefully someone was able to record WCBS, I wasn't home today so I couldn't.
post #48 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I've lost abc and cbs out of Houston...I did a rescan on my HDTV wonder(PC) and they're gone...rescanning Tivo now

clarification: I've lost their DTV signals, ABC and CBS out of Houston...I live near Brenham using an antenna

thread closed
post #49 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 08:43 PM

Had to work all day...came home to find WTKR, channel 3, and WVEC, channel 13, still broadcasting in analog--until midnight tonight. WGNT, channel 27, is broadcasting a generic nightlight program, the same one that WTVZ, channel 33, ran for several days after it converted to digital back in February.

The oddest temporary change...WVEC's digital signal is now showing up on my Zenith converter, and a 6 month old Toshiba LCD set, as channel 41. Previously it had been remapped to display as channel 13. That signal should be turned off at midnight, when their digital service will move to VHF channel 13.
post #50 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

Very uneventful here in Cleveland.

I actually walked in here and was able to get to a TV set at 10:00 and a few seconds, so I missed what you described. Other than the WEWS thing, looks like I didn't miss much! And considering WEWS's history ("First in Cleveland"), they should have done a little more.

My first switch-related video was a brief picture of some sort of control panel on WJW-DT, though I think that was the last gasp of the RF 31 transmitter.

Oh, and WKYC"s "Good Company Today" kicked it around a bit with a station employee they only identified as a "DTV expert". But that was as lame as the rest of that show is. I'm surprised they didn't bring on the hhgregg guy again, since that show is nearly 100% sponsored...
post #51 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost View Post

When the TV media can't get stories on TV right...

If I posted all the inaccurate information about the transition put out by local TV stations, or even networks, AVS Forum would have to put in a new server.
post #52 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

I actually walked in here and was able to get to a TV set at 10:00 and a few seconds, so I missed what you described. Other than the WEWS thing, looks like I didn't miss much! And considering WEWS's history ("First in Cleveland"), they should have done a little more.

I was hoping for a test pattern/sign off thing like they used to do every night on TV hundreds of years ago. I didn't watch 3, since it is going night light. Whoopee. I watched 5 because Regis was on, until 9:50. I spent the final minutes of analog TV with WOIO, which ran a TWC commercial followed by one of their own commercials. Then black screen and eternal fuzz.

Quote:

My first switch-related video was a brief picture of some sort of control panel on WJW-DT, though I think that was the last gasp of the RF 31 transmitter.

I really hope that RF 31 transmitter lights up again, once the morons at Local TV LLC realize the error of their actions. I just briefly read the comments at OMW and WOIO and WJW are the most "missing" channels of all. WKYC and WVIZ work great now. But WJW went from great to crap in 1:30.

Quote:

Oh, and WKYC"s "Good Company Today" kicked it around a bit with a station employee they only identified as a "DTV expert". But that was as lame as the rest of that show is. I'm surprised they didn't bring on the hhgregg guy again, since that show is nearly 100% sponsored...

I loved that segment because Fred Griffith asked if they had lots of calls from older people about the DTV switch and the DTV expert said most of the calls are from younger people. Probably because most younger people don't follow this stuff as I do or watch TV news. The old people watch the news, and are prepared.

I'm still waiting on WQHS and WEAO to shut off. I think they go at 11:59.
post #53 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 09:13 PM

Cary, NC

Of my two antennas, my CM4228 is performing best for the new frequencies, which include two stations moving down to 11 and 17.

My Antennas Direct 91XG isn't giving me a strong enough signal on 11 or 17 to pick them up with my HDTV (distance is about 17 miles, maybe an edge in the way). So I'm switching to the CM4228 for live viewing.
post #54 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
10:10pm was the scheduled time for KVUE (24 ABC) in Austin, TX. A few minutes into 10 o'clock, during the news, they ran a short story about the conversion including a segment with the original engineer that turned the analog signal on 30 years ago who was going to be the one flipping the switch back off (not sure if he had been working there the entire time though). Then a "next on the news" brief segment, one full commercial, a few seconds of the next commercial then poof. Apparently this is the nightlight station for this market, but I still got the gratifying static for 30 seconds or so. Then a screensaver looking black screen that had the Samsung logo, and finally the nightlight "programming" fired up.
post #55 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post

10:10pm was the scheduled time for KVUE (24 ABC) in Austin, TX. A few minutes into 10 o'clock, during the news, they ran a short story about the conversion including a segment with the original engineer that turned the analog signal on 30 years ago who was going to be the one flipping the switch back off (not sure if he had been working there the entire time though). Then a "next on the news" brief segment, one full commercial, a few seconds of the next commercial then poof. Apparently this is the nightlight station for this market, but I still got the gratifying static for 30 seconds or so. Then a screensaver looking black screen that had the Samsung logo, and finally the nightlight "programming" fired up.

Far more creative than what I saw locally...just an abrupt shut-off, followed by snow. Someone else mentioned hoping to see the national anthem, followed by a 50s or 60s style test pattern briefly. I was hoping for something similar.
post #56 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Leave it to WSVN Ch 7 to wait until the last possible moment. They finished off inside edition, then ran to a message stating in accordance with fcc, etc. Then it fades out and poof in came static. This happened at 12:01AM tuesday morning.

Leave it to crappy comcast to still be feeding off of analog channel 7 to inject into the cable system, unless you have an antenna you cannot receive channel 7 anymore. Isn't that ironic, i thought comcast had me covered.

It is now just the NTSC bands on comcast 7, and 7hd on comcast 434 is dead also
post #57 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Due to my work schedule, I missed all of the signoffs. I hear in SE Michigan they were mostly non events. In this area, the majority of the stations were already broadcasting on their final digital channel, some of them for years. My transition was a non event - rescan for the few who moved frequencies and done. The two new VHF DTV stations for me (WJRT and WJBK) come in just fine. Since WJBK comes in quite a bit stronger for me since moving from RF 58 to RF 7, I don't have to fiddle with the rotor as much to bring in the Detroit locals. Looks like my little Rat Shack VU90 is going to do just fine.
post #58 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Good thread.
I went to an OTA channel and got a black screen. It confused my STB so I just rescanned the OTA channels and then it was fine again.
ViP622 with WS-55413 HD-Ready RPTV.
post #59 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Good thread.
I went to an OTA channel and got a black screen. It confused my STB so I just rescanned the OTA channels and then it was fine again.
ViP622 with WS-55413 HD-Ready RPCRTV.
post #60 of 125 Old 06-12-2009, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansri88 View Post

WWOR and WNYW are not planning anything special for tonight unlike WCBS. Hopefully someone was able to record WCBS, I wasn't home today so I couldn't.

yep they did not do anything just blanked right off..

I was on the road at the time WCBS went off the air.. lets hope someone was smart enough to record it since you will never see it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page