u-verse audio question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-29-2009, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just had u-verse installed at home. I am wondering about the sound output. It doesn't seem that any of the channels output in dolby/dts. I'm running the u-verse receiver via hdmi to an onkyo sr607. The install tech didn't seem to know anything about the sound...of course.

Is this a settings issue, or does u-verse not support these audio formats? If that's the case, I'm going to be highly disappointed.

thanks,
matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-29-2009, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

nevermind...

turns out this u-verse receiver won't output surround via hdmi.....LAME

problem solved with an optical cable..luckily my avr will accept an alternate audio source for the hdmi input. The u-verse installer was nice enough to travel back across town to drop off a cable though so I wouldn't have to buy one.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-06-2009, 07:50 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgmann View Post

nevermind...

turns out this u-verse receiver won't output surround via hdmi.....LAME

problem solved with an optical cable..luckily my avr will accept an alternate audio source for the hdmi input. The u-verse installer was nice enough to travel back across town to drop off a cable though so I wouldn't have to buy one.

AT&T has been having a problem with getting proper 5.1 digital audio from their receivers/dvr's to the customers processors/audio receivers. On HDMI, all you get is two channel pcm. Before last night, I could get 5.1 dolby digital via a toslink connection, but with noticable audio dropots on a regular basis.

After last nights Uverse firmware update that downloaded on mine, I no longer get 5.1 dolby digital on any channels with the toslink. Only two channel pcm like the HDMI audio. That's disappointing.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-13-2009, 07:53 AM

Uverse has released an audio "hotfix" that corrects the DD 5.1 loss on toslink. It also added DD 5.1 to the HDMI connection and fixed the DD 5.1 audio dropouts.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-13-2009, 02:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendjr View Post

Uverse has released an audio "hotfix" that corrects the DD 5.1 loss on toslink. It also added DD 5.1 to the HDMI connection and fixed the DD 5.1 audio dropouts.

Yup..I got that second update last week..a couple days after the first one. The toslink works just fine now with full 5.1 DD and no audio dropouts. I briefly swtched to the HDMI which I use for my video signal from the uverse box, and I wasn't getting any audio. I used to get Two channel PCM audio from it. I haven't spent much time checking that out though..I just may have had something switched incorrectly. When I get some tme I'll go back to it and see if it works. Right now though, I'm just enjoying the fully functional toslink.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-26-2009, 09:47 AM

Menu > Option > Audio/Language > Digital Audio Output > Surround Sound/Stereo > Save
post #7 of 11 Old 07-28-2009, 07:59 AM

U-VERSE Audio Surround HDMI output
STB: Motorola VIP1216/297
TV2 client ver: 1.6.25075.1

STB Menu > Options > Audio/Language > Digital Audio Output > Surround Sound

This setting works OK for all output types (HDMI, Optical, 2-channel stereo) for non-HD programming.

This setting fails for HD programming output to my Sharp Aquos D65U receiver over HDMI. The SHARP displays an error message that it cannot decode the signal. This is the error messge: "an incompatible audio signal has been received...".

The HD/Surround output to my HTS works OK via TOSLINK optical and it reports the HD audio signal as Dolby D and conventional signal as PCM.

Just to add to the mystery, the Sharp Aquos receiver is able to produce "simulated surround" sound from my Sony HDDVD over the HDMI link.

There's a bug here somewhere. I reported it to both Sharp and U-verse. I bet the problem is on the Sharp side of the equation.

The Sharp D65U series has another audio quirk that makes no sense in that it will not pass HD audio output across it's TOSLINK optical output except for broadcast TV channels. It would be great if that single output would output any and all HD audio signals. That would allow removing redundant HDDVD and U-verse audio cables to the HTS.

Interestingly enough, my old crappy Sanyo HD receiver can decode the audio via HDMI from U-VERSE into its stereo OK using the same U-VERSE system audio SURROUND settings.

I hope that Sharp figures this out soon and provides a firmware upgrade for both of these audio issues.

Has anyone found a work-around for these HD audio issues with the Sharp?
I don't want to toggle the U-verse audio to STEREO/SURROUND.
It ought to be able to be set to SURROUND full time and have the each attached receivers decode the HDMI signal into each unit's best output.

Cheers!

7/30/2009 update - I applied the Sharp firmware upgrade Firmware Version U0903061 to the LC42D65U. There was no change to the audio problems.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 07:10 AM

My old Uverse Moto 1200 STB/DVR that's on my Sharp TV/Onkyo rig, died and it was replaced with the current model. I tried the SURROUND setting on the new VIP2250 /450 STB just now.

On SD TV, the sound on the Sharp receiver via the HDMI is normal. On an HD TV channel, there's no audio on the Sharp TV and on channel change or power up, there's a brief message on the Sharp screen about an "incompatible audio signal". The TOS link to the Onkyo amp works ok and the amp reports Dolby D. The thing is, I don't necessarily want to run the amp and I'd like to get sound either way on the STB "surround" setting.

The Sharp handles decoding the audio from my Sony BD and my old Sony DVD player via the HDMI. The Sharp audio and HDMI menu settings are the same on both inputs.

Short answer, no change. It is annoying. And let me know if you solve it and are able to keep the uverse STB on the "surround" setting full time.

Ref: Sharp LC42D65U
post #9 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 01:32 PM

btw, I have this thread going and some possible answers.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1467756/dolby-digital-and-uverse
post #10 of 11 Old 04-12-2013, 11:16 AM

Update

UVERSE STB Menu > Options > Audio/Language > Digital Audio Output > Stereo

I checked my equipment again. On this setting, the Sharp LCD TV gets good audio on all channels. I really don't need surround audio input to the Sharp TV so i'm good with that.
The revelation is that the Onkyo now reports the audio on HD channels as Dolby 3/2.1 I'm good with that!
I can now sleep nights. LOL

Ref:
STB ----hdmi

> Sharp LC42D65U
---optical link----> Onkyo amp

post #11 of 11 Old 04-13-2013, 12:27 PM

I think it's sad we have to settle. I've always gotten PCM and CD capabilities at the same time with Comcast, dish out direct tv.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page