Component Video Switch PROBLEMS - Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-30-2009, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a problem with my new component switch. Whenever its on a HD channel (primarily 720p, like ESPN HDTV), it will come on, then after about 10 seconds go off for about 5 seconds, then come back on. A little static appears before the picture goes bye bye.

For the record, I have a Toshiba MT-80 projector, DirecTv satellite and high quality monster cables all around. I tried switching cables and still had the same problem.

The component switch I am using is the Dynex, which I bought for like $45 from Best Buy. My PJ is 720p and 1080i compatible, along with the DTV source. The Dynex says it is compatible with both 720p and 1080i. But I have played around with all the settings and can't figure this out.

When the picture is on the screen its beautiful. But it appears the switch can't take the bandwidth or something...not sure what this means.

If I need to post a video, let me know.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-30-2009, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Try another one.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 10 Old 07-01-2009, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Have you tried unchecking the 720p box on your Directv receiver?
post #4 of 10 Old 07-01-2009, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Did you try eliminating the switch from the equation, going directly from your projector to D* box?

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11
post #5 of 10 Old 07-01-2009, 08:48 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

it will come on, then after about 10 seconds go off for about 5 seconds, then come back on.

Sounds like the power supply is failing. Is there a power indicator that behaves this was as well?
post #6 of 10 Old 07-01-2009, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the responses...

I have had no problems hooking the PJ up to the D T V box directly.

I don't think its the power supply. I have all of my equipment plugged into a Monster Cable Power Center. More than sufficient. There is also proper grounding.

I can view other channels no problem. Or, when I am watching sportscenter in HDTV, when the non-HD commercials come on its fine. So it makes me think its the resolution thats causing the problem.

also, I tried pressing the resolution button on the D T V box, but it won't change. Is there a way to force 1080i?

plus, if the component switch is 720p compatible, I don't see why this should be happening...

Thanks for the insight!
post #7 of 10 Old 07-02-2009, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVec View Post

Thanks for the responses...

I have had no problems hooking the PJ up to the D T V box directly.

I don't think its the power supply. I have all of my equipment plugged into a Monster Cable Power Center. More than sufficient. There is also proper grounding.

I can view other channels no problem. Or, when I am watching sportscenter in HDTV, when the non-HD commercials come on its fine. So it makes me think its the resolution thats causing the problem.

also, I tried pressing the resolution button on the D T V box, but it won't change. Is there a way to force 1080i?

plus, if the component switch is 720p compatible, I don't see why this should be happening...

Thanks for the insight!

Go to "Menu"--Parental,Favs,setup--System setup--HDTV--In the upper right corner will be TV Resolution, select that and remove the square from 720p. Your receiver will then send all of the 720p channels at 1080i. Not sure if it will fix your problem but it's an easy thing to try.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-02-2009, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
With a former 1080i CRT RPTV and the Zektor component switcher, discovered partial image breakups in higher-contrast, lighter HD/SD image areas. Fixed it by substituting 3' component cable lengths from devices into the Zektor instead of 6'+ lengths, plus the 6-footer from the Zektor to the RPTV. Figured there was too much capacitance with the first hookup. A better switcher might also fix this problem since bypassing this one eliminates the cutoffs. Higer-end, or just better-designed switchers minimize impedance that attenuates frequencies (like excessive cable lengths). -- John
post #9 of 10 Old 07-02-2009, 08:56 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I don't think its the power supply. I have all of my equipment plugged into a Monster Cable Power Center. More than sufficient.

The "power supply" supplies DC power to the circuits inside of your switcher...there's one in all your equipment. It has nothing to do with monster.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Vegasvex; did you ever figure this out?
I've been having similar problems with the Dynex switch also from Best Buy, see thread here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post17144849
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page