Motorola DCX3400 and Samsung HLT6189s Problem - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 103 Old 07-14-2009, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is no format button on the remote, but there is one on the front of the STB. I've tried this, but same results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 103 Old 07-15-2009, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Nothing on the remote, just the front of the STB only. You push the button to move through the different settings of 480p, 720p, 1080i. Doesn't stay at the setting at all...
post #33 of 103 Old 07-15-2009, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
From the user's manual I didn't think it would stay but I thought it would work till you again changed the source on your receiver. But since the same function is not on the remote it is not that useful.
post #34 of 103 Old 07-15-2009, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Another Response from Motorola:
Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Need Help with DCX3400

Discussion Thread
Response (Motorola Technical Support) - 07/15/2009 04:21 PM
Motorola Customer,

I apologize that my response was not clear. When I stated "I will be happy to submit your suggestion regarding freezing the user settings rather than auto-negotiating for the best settings." It was in response to your comment stating "I think Motorola should come out with a firmware upgrade that will force this STB to always stay on the user selected settings, versus going back to default settings. My older HDMI/DVI STB never changed its settings."

I will be happy to submit this product feedback to the Product Team. However, in the meantime, none of our units are designed to allow user selected settings to override the auto-negotiation.

I did look over the user guide on your Sony Receiver, and do see that there are no settings for resolution in this particular unit.

You also question why I mentioned power cycling, or turning units off. You state "This problem never happens by switching off the receiver or DCX or TV. It only happens when switching to something other than video (FM tuner, etc). Not sure why you mention power cycling anything. I never said this happened during power cycling. It happens when the video source is changed to a audio source (FM Tuner)." However, in a previous email, you stated "When I change the receiver to FM Tuner to listen to the radio and I turn the Samsung off and the Motorola STB off, the Motorola flashes DVI (or maybe DUI).

Do you usually turn off the TV and STB when you switch to FM Tuner mode? If so, I would like to try turning them back on in a different order, which will hopefully allow the auto-negotiation to work properly. If you switch the receive back to video, and turn on the TV, before turning on the STB; what results do you get? If that does not work, please turn off the receiver, and turn on the TV, before turning on the STB. Is there any change?

I do have one request to make. Can you please remove my last name from the AVS Forums? I have no problem with giving it to you or any Motorola customer. However, I would prefer that it not be posted on a public forum that can be searched through Google.

Please let me know your results of the power cycling in different orders. In the meantime, I have submitted this to one of our engineers to see if he had any further information.

Sincerely,

Dayna
post #35 of 103 Old 07-15-2009, 07:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

At least you are getting a somewhat intelliigece response from Motorola. As I stated before my, DCX 3200 or my previous 6416 never reset themselves to "default settings" when their HDMI cable was disconnected so I am surprised that the response you got from Motorola stated that ALL of their other models NEVER reset themselves to "default settings" especialy since none of their user manuals discuss when and if they might do so and what these default settings are.
And as you pointed out the problem did not occure with you previous Motorola STB
post #36 of 103 Old 07-19-2009, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Update: I've given up on Motorola and Comcast and Sony. I swapped the the STB to the older DCT3416I. Neither Motorola nor Comcast could solve the problems I was having.

However, the DCT3416I also reverts to default settings when switching to FM Tuner. This default setting is 1080i with override off. Must be something with this Sony receiver. I must lose the handshake. No way to change this. But, at least the STB is defaulting to 1080i versus 720p. It's a little aggravating that the override goes to off versus 480p, but I will have to live with the way it is since there are no solutions to this issue.

Thanks to all for the help with this issue. I'm moving on
post #37 of 103 Old 08-02-2009, 01:09 AM

I have the same problem with my Motorola DCX3400 and my Proscan 40LC45S HDTV. When I record things in 1080i, I'll often see them revert to 720p according to my HDTV. It's really irritating (among other things, like not being able to just delete unwanted/unsubscribed channels like I've been doing for 30 friggin' years).
post #38 of 103 Old 08-02-2009, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

From my reading of the DCX user manual the DCX3400 records all programs in the resolution they are received in and are they are only converted to another resolutiion at output time if you do not have Native selected as the output resolution over the interface you are using. If you have Native selected then broadcasts from 720p broadcasters such as ABC, FOX, ESPN-HD would be output at 720p.
post #39 of 103 Old 08-07-2009, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am having the same problem as well... sort of. My setup is as follows: DCX3400 HDMI cable to Sony CT500 receiver, then HDMI to Sharp Aquos. I have my Sony CT500 receiver set to HDMI pass through. When I change my DCX setting to Native and then get rid of 480i & 480p altogether, and I then turn my tv & DCX off and then back on, it flashes DVI (or DUI) and it's like I never changed anything at all. I've tried turning off the HDMI control on the Sony unit, and still it won't keep my setting, just changes it back to default once I turn everything off.

- Thanks
post #40 of 103 Old 08-08-2009, 12:26 AM

So I found away around this problem... sort of. I connected my DCX3400 directly to my LCD via HDMI, and also ran a Optical Audio Cable to my Sony receiver. Selected Pass through audio on dcx options to get rid of the double sound. So now I have my cable box keeping my changed setting since I no longer have the HDMI / Component handshake issue, and audio through my Sony Home Theater. Just thought it might give someone idea, if they are experiencing the same issue.

- Thanks
post #41 of 103 Old 08-13-2009, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Please see this thread for a possible solution to this problem:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1161840

Incidently, I still have the DCX3400. HDMI goes direct to the TV and I use a toslink digital optical cable to the receiver for sound.

Will try the potential solution once the user responds.
post #42 of 103 Old 08-13-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbtaylor View Post

Please see this thread for a possible solution to this problem:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1161840

Incidently, I still have the DCX3400. HDMI goes direct to the TV and I use a toslink digital optical cable to the receiver for sound.

Will try the potential solution once the user responds.

I have always found this setup to be better myself, at least for my uses.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #43 of 103 Old 09-16-2009, 11:12 AM

OK, I have been experiencing this same issue with the DCX3400 reverting its settings to the default of 720 with 4:3 override off when powering up my devices. I have the 3400 passing hdmi through an Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver to a Vizio plasma screen. I leave the 3400 on all the time but shut off the TV and receiver.

I use a Harmony 880 remote to power on my devices. As I watched the 3400 when the remote performed the Watch TV activity I saw the dUI HDCP handshake message twice. After the first message, the 3400 was still in the right format. Then after the 2nd dUI message the 3400 reverted to its default settings. Because there were two handshakes occurring this meant that the protected HDCP path to the TV was not fully initialized when the 3400 was trying to connect.

The 880's normal power on sequence for the Watch TV activity was not allowing enough time for the TV to power up before powering on the receiver. The Logitech software allows you to adjust the power on delay for each device but this only means that it waits before sending a command to that device like switching inputs. It does not wait between sending power on commands between devices. So basically the TV and receiver were powering up at the same time which meant the 3400 was seeing two HDCP requests.

The workaround for me was finding this post in the Logitech forums where jtbell describes how to trick the 880 into not actually powering on his dvd player during power on section in the activity. ( I have had to copy it here because I cannot yet post a link ):
Quote:

I had a similar problem except with the reverse sequence. I have an Oppo DVD player connected to my TV via HDMI through an HDMI switch. In order to get sound to play back, I have to turn on the TV first, then wait a few seconds, then turn on the DVD player. Here's how I did it. Basically, I disabled automatic "power on" for the DVD player device, then set up the activity that uses the DVD player so that at the beginning of the activity, it waits a bit (after turning on the other devices), then turns on the DVD player.

1. In the "Devices" screen, I selected "Settings" for the DVD player.

2. In the "Settings" screen, I selected "Re-do setup for this device."

3. I clicked through the setup screens using "Next" until I got to "Which command will Power On your device?" Here I selected "I don't have the original remote, but I know the command that is used:" and selected "None" from the popup menu.

4. The Harmony software asked me to confirm: "No command was selected. Would you like to continue?" (Yes)

5. I clicked through the rest of the setup screns using "Next" and finally "Done".

6. In the "Activities" screen, I selected "Settings" for the activity that uses the DVD player.

7. In the "Settings" screen, I selected "Review the settings for this Activity."

8. In the next screen (which shows the settings), I selected "Yes, but I want to add more control of devices and options for this Activity."

9. I clicked through the options screens using "Save" or "Next" until I got to the "Custom Actions" screen.

10. I added two actions for the DVD player when the activity starts: first, a few seconds delay; then the "PowerOn" command.

11. I finished the setup process by clicking "Save", "Next" or "Done" until I got back to the Activities screen, then updated my remote.

This led me to use that same trick for my receiver. I went into the receiver device setup and set the power on command to -None- then went into my Watch TV activity and on the Custom Actions screen I added a 5 second delay for the receiver, then the power on command, then set the input to Cable/Sat. Here is how my Start TV activity looks in the Logitech software:

Vizio TV Vizio TV is on
Onkyo AV Receiver Onkyo AV Receiver is on
Motorola COMCAST Motorola COMCAST is on
Other All other devices are off
Motorola COMCAST Motorola COMCAST is set to "Tuner"
Vizio TV Vizio TV is set to "HDMI 1"
Onkyo AV Receiver Onkyo AV Receiver is set to "Cable/Sat"
Onkyo AV Receiver The remote pauses for 5000 milliseconds
Onkyo AV Receiver "PowerOn" command is sent to the Onkyo AV Receiver

You'll notice that the sequence says the receiver is On and set to Cable/Sat twice. The first set of commands do nothing because the receiver is not actually on but they are required in the Harmony setup. This is the trick.

Now when I start the Watch TV activity, the receiver is the last to power on and the 3400 only performs 1 HDCP handshake. Now I can set the 3400 to Native mode in the settings menu and it has not reverted.
post #44 of 103 Old 10-09-2009, 03:30 PM

I just got a new DCX3400 today and have been reading this thread. I too found that the box kept reverting back to 720P. I don't know if this is the proper way to solve it..so far it seems to have worked..I went into the Menu settings (Power off box, hit menu), where you see the 16:9 settings, etc.
For HDMI/Yb.. I set it at 1080i then where all the different formats where 'x', I removed the x from everything except the three 1080 settings. So far, no matter what channel I put the box on , and it is staying on 1080i.
post #45 of 103 Old 10-21-2009, 12:21 PM

I got the DCX3400 last week and have had the same problems with it, my Smasung LCD and my Pioneer receiver. I'm connected STB to the Pioneer via HDMI then out to the TV.

Not sure how you removed the 'X' next to the resolutions, I am not able to select them. They're just grayed out.

Another problem I'm having is with the remote - when I hit the All On button to turn all 3 off, my receiver turns off and then turns right back on.
post #46 of 103 Old 10-27-2009, 09:54 AM

I think what I did was first selected NATIVE MODE...then that gave me access to the different boxes..I unchecked the ones I wanted to uncheck...then changed the NATIVE MODE back to 1080...and the checked/unchecked boxes stayed as I put them...I think I read later though, that the boxes only are used when you are in Native mode anyway..so maybe I was fooled. But I know that the box always stays in 1080 mode...perhaps it's just because I forced it. Not sure.

By the way...going on week 3 and the box is working 'pretty well'...every so often, not often...but every so often...the video will freeze...still have audio..then about 15 secs. later, the video starts up again. It's very minor...
post #47 of 103 Old 12-05-2009, 09:30 AM

I recently purchased a LG 32LH30 and started experiencing the issue with a Motorola DCH3416. The Motorola HDMI setting would revert to 720P from 1080i. Problem is not solved but here is some information.
- I have a Yamaha AV reciever that is not causing the problem as the issue remains when the receiver is bypassed.
- No issue with a couple of Sony Bravia LCD TV's
- The Motorola defaults change from 1080i and 480i (override) to 720P and 420P only when connected to the LG
- Swapped out the DCH3416 for a DCX3400 and the same thing happens.

Bottom line: the LG is changing the Motorola's factory default settings and even when these defaults are overwritten by the user, the LG is causing the Motoral to revert back to them.
post #48 of 103 Old 12-05-2009, 10:40 AM

The only work around that I have found that works is to switch to Component Video cables along with either coax or optical video. Painful......
post #49 of 103 Old 01-08-2010, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone tried using a powered HDMI splitter to solve this issue? My thought is an HDCP compliant powered splitter may keep the handshake with the MOTO box. Perhaps placing it between the MOTO and the receiver would keep the settings as user set.
Thoughts?
post #50 of 103 Old 01-14-2010, 10:54 AM

I'm having the same problem with my 606 and friend also with a Pioneer THX Elite. I called onkyo and they new what I was talking about as soon as I mentioned it and said that Motorola has not fixed it yet. He said just go component it will look just as good but the setup guide for the moto states that hdmi is the best quality.

DIY AMPLIFIER COOL DOWN THREAD CHECK IT OUT...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1219078
post #51 of 103 Old 01-16-2010, 01:55 PM

Subject
DCX 3400 Defaults to 720P with hdmi receiver

Discussion Thread
Response (Motorola Technical Support) - 01/15/2010 07:02 PM
Valued Motorola Customer,

Thank you for choosing Motorola. I apologize for the inconvenience you are having.

I understand that the resolution reverts back to 720p when you turn off the power to your receiver.

I am surprised your resolution doesn't revert to 480i when you turn off your receiver.
If you want to retain 1080i when the receiver is turned off, you will have to connect the HDMI straight to the TV and go optical audio to the receiver.
If you don't want to run HDMI to the TV, then you will have to leave the receiver on until you are done watching TV.

You can also visit our web site at http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers to access your user's guide and frequently asked questions about your product.

Sincerely,

Pat
Motorola Broadband Technical Support

post #52 of 103 Old 01-20-2010, 08:16 AM

Motorola Technical Support

Response (Motorola Technical Support) - 01/19/2010 07:52 PM
Valued Motorola Customer,

In order to maintain consistency across their cable networks, the firmware is service provider only. Meaning there is not any publicly available firmware. I also do not know if there is going to be a firmware update. That does not mean there is not going to be one, I am just not aware of one.

Sincerely,

Pat
Motorola Broadband Technical Support

Customer - 01/18/2010 09:03 AM
Well thank you this did work I had to buy an optical cable. It is a big pain knowing I have to change sources threw the TV now. My old box DCH3200 never did this it just would not retain the stretch mode, but it kept it at 1080i. So why does the latest and greatest not able to do this?
Can you please send me the firm ware update so I can correct this problem? There are plenty of people that have been looking forward to this new box and with every one getting HD TV's receivers sales are going up so this
will be a problem downgrade for every body. So please let me know Motorola intentions on fixing this.
AVSForum

post #53 of 103 Old 03-08-2010, 12:13 PM

seeing if i can resurrect this thread and get some info, I just got the DCX3400 box from comcast for my HT setup, having the exact same issue, changing from watching a DVD back over to the cable box setting on my receiver (STR-DG820 just like the OP) and when i have it set to 1080i, go back to cable it resets the settings back to 720p and 480p for the override.

just seeing if anyone has found any new solutions, since there have not been any firmware updates to correct this issue.
post #54 of 103 Old 03-15-2010, 02:21 PM

I too recently got a DCX3400 to go with my new Yamaha 665 and Samsung UN55B8000 and have the same problems as are described throughout this forum. I've come to the conclusion that each time I turn the TV on the for day's viewing I just need to quickly re-do the setup to 'Native'. If I do that each time I turn on the TV then it works like it's supposed to til I turn it off and back on again. Each 'handshake' between DCX3400 and TV is going to set it at 720p. That's just the way it is. And I've become fast at doing the setup to 'Native' so it's really no big deal...just a part of my 'turn everything on' procedure.
post #55 of 103 Old 03-15-2010, 02:40 PM

If you want to retain 1080i when the receiver is turned off, you will have to connect the HDMI straight to the TV and go optical audio to the receiver.
Is the only solution I have done this for some time now. The only time I have to switch sources is when I I want to play PS3 that is going threw my receiver. I named one source Cable and the other Receiver since I watch cable more than any thing its not that big of a deal. But still sucks.

post #56 of 103 Old 03-25-2010, 08:06 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronghold View Post

OK, I have been experiencing this same issue with the DCX3400 reverting its settings to the default of 720 with 4:3 override off when powering up my devices. I have the 3400 passing hdmi through an Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver to a Vizio plasma screen. I leave the 3400 on all the time but shut off the TV and receiver.

I use a Harmony 880 remote to power on my devices. As I watched the 3400 when the remote performed the Watch TV activity I saw the dUI HDCP handshake message twice. After the first message, the 3400 was still in the right format. Then after the 2nd dUI message the 3400 reverted to its default settings. Because there were two handshakes occurring this meant that the protected HDCP path to the TV was not fully initialized when the 3400 was trying to connect.

The 880's normal power on sequence for the Watch TV activity was not allowing enough time for the TV to power up before powering on the receiver. The Logitech software allows you to adjust the power on delay for each device but this only means that it waits before sending a command to that device like switching inputs. It does not wait between sending power on commands between devices. So basically the TV and receiver were powering up at the same time which meant the 3400 was seeing two HDCP requests.

The workaround for me was finding this post in the Logitech forums where jtbell describes how to trick the 880 into not actually powering on his dvd player during power on section in the activity. ( I have had to copy it here because I cannot yet post a link ):
This led me to use that same trick for my receiver. I went into the receiver device setup and set the power on command to -None- then went into my Watch TV activity and on the Custom Actions screen I added a 5 second delay for the receiver, then the power on command, then set the input to Cable/Sat. Here is how my Start TV activity looks in the Logitech software:

Vizio TV Vizio TV is on
Onkyo AV Receiver Onkyo AV Receiver is on
Motorola COMCAST Motorola COMCAST is on
Other All other devices are off
Motorola COMCAST Motorola COMCAST is set to "Tuner"
Vizio TV Vizio TV is set to "HDMI 1"
Onkyo AV Receiver The remote pauses for 5000 milliseconds
Onkyo AV Receiver "PowerOn" command is sent to the Onkyo AV Receiver

You'll notice that the sequence says the receiver is On and set to Cable/Sat twice. The first set of commands do nothing because the receiver is not actually on but they are required in the Harmony setup. This is the trick.

Now when I start the Watch TV activity, the receiver is the last to power on and the 3400 only performs 1 HDCP handshake. Now I can set the 3400 to Native mode in the settings menu and it has not reverted.

I believe you just solved my problem with an Onkyo receiver also. I just did your trick on all my activities and seems to be working
post #57 of 103 Old 03-30-2010, 01:56 PM

Can I do this with a Harmony 688 cause I found one on ebay for 35 bucks.

post #58 of 103 Old 06-11-2010, 02:01 AM

I have a Motorola DCX3400 DVR from Comcast, Samsung LN32B550 TV and an Onkyo TX-NR5007 receiver, with the 3400 going through the Onkyo. I get the same problem with the 3400 flashing "DVI" and then resetting to 720p. I've fixed this by switching to component + optical, and now it saves the settings.

Only problem, I have it set on Native, and 1080p24 and 1080p30 are grayed out. Will I be missing anything? Is anything broadcasted in 1080p?
post #59 of 103 Old 06-13-2010, 07:33 AM

No you won't miss out on anything i have mine setup the same way but if the 2430 is greyed out most likely it means ur tv can't handle it. Actually don't use component use hdmi for your video and use optical for audio you can set that up in the onkyo setup. That way u get the most 1080p.

post #60 of 103 Old 10-05-2010, 08:32 AM

I'm having this same problem with running the DCX3400 HDMI through my Panasonic SA-XR57, except it reverts to 480p in my case.

Monoprice sells an HDMI switcher that has TOSLINK audio output (it strips the digital audio signal from the HDMI input). I was thinking of running HDMI from the DCX3400, PS3, and Xbox360 into the switcher and out of the switcher directly to the TV. I would then run the TOSLINK from the switcher to the receiver.

The end result would be that I would never have to change inputs on either the TV or receiver, only on the HDMI switcher. Has anyone tried this combination with the DCX3400 and if so, how does the HDMI switcher affect the problem described in this thread?

I mean, if I switch from DCX3400 to PS3 and then back to DCX3400, will the DCX3400 "remember" the 1080i setting or will it revert back to 480p or 720p?
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page