Motorola DCX3400 and Samsung HLT6189s Problem - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 103 Old 01-02-2012, 07:32 PM
gsk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just switched from DirecTV to Comcast with a DCX3400-M and am seeing the same issue. I have an extra complication - my Integra receiver switches between two OUTPUTs - a Plasma and a Projector. Whenever I switch outputs the DCX3400 reverts the user settings.

Is there any news from Motorola and/or Comcast? Are they really working on a solution?

For those that use the powered HDMI splitter - have any of you tried placing it between the DCX3400 and the receiver or only between receiver and TV? The latter wouldn't fix my issue since the receiver switches between the two outputs....

Any chance there are IR codes to directly modify the user settings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 103 Old 01-03-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsk View Post

Just switched from DirecTV to Comcast with a DCX3400-M and am seeing the same issue. I have an extra complication - my Integra receiver switches between two OUTPUTs - a Plasma and a Projector. Whenever I switch outputs the DCX3400 reverts the user settings.

Is there any news from Motorola and/or Comcast? Are they really working on a solution?

For those that use the powered HDMI splitter - have any of you tried placing it between the DCX3400 and the receiver or only between receiver and TV? The latter wouldn't fix my issue since the receiver switches between the two outputs....

Any chance there are IR codes to directly modify the user settings?

Not sure, since I'm still content using component for now, but I would think you could put it in between the cable box and receiver. Since the problem is with the cable box and handshaking when the receiver changes inputs away from the cable box input. The splitter may be acting as a "keep alive" signal to the cable box, so it doesn't think the signal path to the receiver was removed (like it does when the receiver switches inputs).

It would be really helpful to know if this configuration works, Monoprice has usually been good about returns if something doesn't work for you. So you could try it out.

Also if you want to avoid the hassle and don't care about doing 3D content just use component video plus digital audio (i.e. coaxial or optical) into your Integra and let it do the A/D video conversion to HDMI for the two display outputs. Aside from the 3D content there is nothing on cable that requires HDMI -- all cable channels are 720p/1080i and use standard lossy Dolby Digital, so using component plus digital audio is effectively equivalent, but gets around all the HDMI handshaking issues.
post #93 of 103 Old 01-09-2012, 04:37 PM

I just tested the Monoprice HDMI splitter...

Between the cable box and the receiver, the splitter makes the problem worse for me. Instead of switching from 1080i to 720p whenever the TV is turned off and back on, the box now switches down to 480p. I couldn't stop that from happening.

But more careful observation under these conditions made me realize that it was the handshakes between the TV and the receiver that were throwing things off. So I put the splitter between the receiver and the TV instead.

IT WORKS! Amazingly well. So far, the cable box has stayed on 1080i no matter what I do. Time will tell how persistent this fix is, but I have to say I'm very hopeful. I've no reason to believe this will stop working.

As an added bonus, my TV picture appears much more quickly now than it did before. Also, when I turn the TV on or off while everything else is on, the receiver plays the audio from the cable box continuously, without interruption. Before, turning the TV on or off would trigger another handshake. So I know the splitter is doing what I bought it for. And I can see more clearly now the role each component is playing in the situation.

One caution about the splitter: It must be powered on only after all HDMI connections are made. Adding HDMI cables after plugging in the power will not work.

I feel like celebrating. Many thanks to those who have shown me the way! I hope my experience helps others.
post #94 of 103 Old 01-09-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Awesome! thanks for testing things both ways, now we know for sure that it has to be between the display and the receiver
post #95 of 103 Old 01-16-2012, 10:12 PM

I have a similar problem with my Time Warner Cable DCX3400-M and my Sony KDS-60A2000.

The STB is directly connected to the HDMI2 port of my TV and I have the Audio connected to my A/V Receiver via Toslink.

I was able to deselect all output formation options (480p, 480i, and 720p) from SETTINGS->HIGH DEFINITION->OUTPUT RESOLUTION, and I now consistently get 1080i coming from the box. I also set Picture Size to Normal and Aspect Ratio to 16 x 9.

However, when I switch inputs on the TV and go back to HDMI2 (i.e. VIDEO7 -> VIDEO6 -> VIDEO7), the STB keeps the 1080i setting, but always returns to the 4x3 aspect ratio. Was curious if others have seen this problem and come up with a workaround?

I see the DCX3400 owners manual has some settings for output video format in the User Settings menu, but looks like the Time Warner Cable firmware has disabled this menu -- All I am able to access are the Audio Settings from this menu.

I did try sending the video signal through my Monoprice HDMI switch, but no luck there.
post #96 of 103 Old 01-17-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neildawg View Post

I have a similar problem with my Time Warner Cable DCX3400-M and my Sony KDS-60A2000.

The STB is directly connected to the HDMI2 port of my TV and I have the Audio connected to my A/V Receiver via Toslink.

I was able to deselect all output formation options (480p, 480i, and 720p) from SETTINGS->HIGH DEFINITION->OUTPUT RESOLUTION, and I now consistently get 1080i coming from the box. I also set Picture Size to Normal and Aspect Ratio to 16 x 9.

However, when I switch inputs on the TV and go back to HDMI2 (i.e. VIDEO7 -> VIDEO6 -> VIDEO7), the STB keeps the 1080i setting, but always returns to the 4x3 aspect ratio. Was curious if others have seen this problem and come up with a workaround?

I see the DCX3400 owners manual has some settings for output video format in the User Settings menu, but looks like the Time Warner Cable firmware has disabled this menu -- All I am able to access are the Audio Settings from this menu.

I did try sending the video signal through my Monoprice HDMI switch, but no luck there.

Wow bummer, straight to a TV is usually the surefire way to fix HDMI issues. You can always run component video instead of HDMI to get around the problem if all else fails.

I forget if the diagnostic menus that are described in this Moto DVR wiki are available on the newer DCX boxes, but I'd try using the hidden menus discussed here (I'm not sure if you're using something exposed in the TW guide UI or if you're already using the menus referenced here):
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...rola_DVR/Setup

If you can, set the 4:3 override as you'd like, I think from your post you'd want to set it to Stretch (have the cable box stretch 4:3 to 16:9).
post #97 of 103 Old 01-17-2012, 08:32 PM

Thanks SpHeRe41459!

Your link to the Wiki site was a great help! I was able to follow the Verizon FiOS instructions and get to a Diagnostic Menu. From there, I could see the User Settings that were being used; however, I was unable to edit them. This was still good as it helped me debug the problem.

I configured the STB for Normal, 1080i, and 16x9. The diagnostic menu showed that my TV type was 16x9. After that, I cycled my TV inputs from VIDEO7 (STB) -> VIDEO6 -> VIDEO7 (STB). Immediately after switching my TV back to VIDEO7, the diagnostic menu showed 4x3 as the TV type... After a few seconds, it reverted to 16x9. So it appears that the STB's initial HDCP handshake sets the aspect ratio to 4x3, but it is never refreshed.

To prove this was related to a handshake issue, I switched from an HDMI signal to a Component signal, as you suggested. Sure enough, the STB retains its 16x9 setting.

What a pain... I assume I could program my Harmony Remote to introduce a delay anytime the TV is powered on or the inputs are switched, but I think the better solution here is to just stick with Component video.

Thank you again for your reply -- It certainly helped me get on the right track to get to the bottom of this issue. I certainly appreciate it!
post #98 of 103 Old 01-19-2012, 12:23 PM

Going straight to TV via HDMI doesn't work for me, either. The DCX3400 (and probably any Comcast STB from Motorola) resets itself from NATIVE to 720p as soon as a 1080i channel is tested. Strange, since the TV (Samsung PN50C8000) should support it. Handshaking is unreliable. Adding the HDMI switch between the TV and the STB (since the receiver's not part of this loop) seems to resolve the issue: the TV does indeed receive and display up to 1080i in that case.
post #99 of 103 Old 01-31-2012, 10:48 PM

I too had the problem whereby I could set the DCX3400 to output 1080i but when I'd power my components off and on again, it would revert to 720p.

Unlike others, I was not willing to clutter my system with extra hardware (splitter/amplifier) or cables (component/toslink), so I pursued a different "work-around."

My system consists of the DVR connected to a Yamaha RX-V467 receiver connected to a Vizio VL420M TV, all via HDMI. I use a Harmony One remote to control it.

I'm indebted to those who posted before me -- I've benefitted from your observations and suggestions.

Like others, I observed that the DVR displays "dUI" twice during the power on sequence with my failing setup. Evidently, "dUI" indicates a handshake between the DVR and one of the other components. I further observed that power cycling the DVR (only) has no ill effect. However, power cycling the TV (only) causes failure (downscaling to 720p).

When I test-connected the DVR directly to the TV via HDMI, power cycling the TV (only) had NO ill effect; in fact, there was only one "dUI" displayed. It's only when the receiver is in the chain that I have the problem. So presumably I could use this connection and add a toslink cable from DVR to receiver to get sound, but I don't wish to do that.

I then restored the cabling to its original state: DVR -> receiver -> TV and experimented with the sequence in which devices were manually powered up.

I found that as long as the TV was fully initialized prior to powering on the receiver, the DVR would only receive one "dUI" and all was well. It didn't matter whether the DVR was powered on before or after the TV.

When my Harmony is left to it's own devices (pun?), there is a race between all three components to get up and running and to handshake. One of the handshakes is between the receiver and the DVR and the other is between the TV and DVR via the receiver, thus the two "dUI's". Evidently, the system is sensitive to the order and state of initialization, and for some unknown reason, the DVR receives or interprets the TV's capabilities incorrectly (720p).

I suspect that what is happening is that the receiver reports something invalid about the TV while the TV is still initializing, and the DVR reverts to the default 720p. When the TV finally initializes, it sends another update, but it's too late because the DVR won't ever upscale again. But who knows?

So the receiver being off while the TV initializes is critical. Obviously, this blocks the TV from handshaking (just yet, anyway) with the DVR, since the pass-through on the receiver is active, not passive. The idea is to get the TV stabilized such that when the receiver comes up, it reports accurate data to the DVR.

Others may wish to test for this case:

1) With the DVR on, power on the TV and let it initialize for a few seconds (until it tries to lock onto a signal);

2) Power on the receiver;

3) check that the DVR is still set for 1080i.

If this works for you, do what it takes to delay the powering on of the receiver.

The following is what I had to do with my Harmony One. I adapted an earlier suggestion to trick it into not immediately powering on the receiver, since it likes to power up all devices at once.

In Devices, I selected Settings for the receiver.

- Adjust power settings
- Next
- I want to turn off this device when not in use
- Next
- A button on the remote for On, and a different button for Off
- Next
- I don't have the original remote, but I know the command that is used: [for powering on]
- -None- [This nullifies the power-on command]
- Next
- YES (No command was selected. Would you like to continue?)
- I don't have the original remote, but I know the command that is used: [for powering off]
- PowerOff
- Next

So at this point, the Harmony doesn't know how to turn on the receiver, but it does know how to turn it off.

Next I had to check each Activity that uses the receiver, since I have to specify how to turn it on. I started with Watch TV.

- I use my Motorola PVR (DCX3400) to change channels
- Next
- I use my Yamaha Receiver RX-V467 to control the volume
- Next
[proceeded until I reached "Review the settings for this Activity"]

- Yes, but I want to add more control of options and devices for this Activity
- Next
- SAVE (Please review the devices ...)
[proceeded until I reached "Please review the actions for your Watch TV Activity:"]

I had to remove a SCENE command (this is CRITICAL because any SCENE command will actually power on the receiver by itself). I added it back in after the manual power-on below.

Added Actions to introduce a delay in powering on the receiver:

- Add action for Yamaha AV Receiver RX-V467 when the Activity starts
- Add>
- Send this infrared delay: 2 seconds
- Next
- Send this infrared delay: 2 seconds [total of 4 seconds]
- Next
- Add action for Yamaha AV Receiver RX-V467 when the Activity starts
- Add>
- Send this infrared Command: SceneBdDvd [this will also power on the receiver]
- Next
[Here you might have to add redundant commands to set the input of the receiver, etc. since any automatically generated commands will be sent with the receiver not yet powered on]
- SAVE

I had to repeat this for the Watch DVD Activity. Any Activity using the TV and receiver has to delay the powering on of the receiver, even if the DVR is not involved. I presume this is because the receiver will update the DVR even in its standby state.

I don't understand why, once the DCX3400 downscales to 720p, it won't subsequently get fresh configuration data from the TV and upscale again, but it won't.

This was a pretty vexing problem, and I'm sure its manifestations vary depending on the exact mix of devices. But this worked for me, though it's a work-around, not a solution. I expect things will get out of sync sometimes and I'll have to manually reconfigure the DVR to 1080i once in awhile.

I hope this helps someone else, or at least provides important clues to what may be affecting your system.
post #100 of 103 Old 03-03-2012, 10:21 AM

I had the problem with the DCX3400 and resolved it with the Harmony work-around described by Nospampls and others.

Then, Comcast upgraded me to the RNG200N. With this box, it appears the TV must be turned on AFTER the receiver or it won't accept the DVR signal.

So if I use the Harmony work-around and ensure the TV is turned on BEFORE the receiver, that stops the DVR from reverting to 720p, but forces me to turn the DVR off and then on again for the TV to recognize its signal.

Of course, it I stop the Harmony work-around and the TV is turned on AFTER the receiver, then the TV recognizes the signal from the DVR, but the DVR will revert to 720p.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how I can fix this using the Harmony? I know I could switch cables or add the Monoprice splitter.
post #101 of 103 Old 10-07-2012, 11:41 AM

Its the remote! if you have a harmony remote.

I am have a similar problem. with my motorola DXC3400 changing the input source on the receiver from hdmi 2 to tv/sat. and the cable box displays DUI when it happen.

first let me list stuff

samsung 60'' plasma T.V.
motorola DXC3400 PVR (shaw cable is the provider)
Pioneer receiver VSX-1020-k
PS3
Harmony one remote
logitech PS3 adapter for harmony remote

every thing is routed through the receiver, ps3 is one hdmi 1, cable box on hdmi 2 and receiver to the TV.
now if i dont use the harmony remote, but each devises every thing works fine. when i use the harmony remote for a all in one action it does the problem i mention above. I have removed the PVR from the harmony remote and use the shaw remote to turn on just the pvr and everything works fine (everything still going through the receiver).

I have bee checking the internet for answers sense its the weekend and logitechs hotline not open intel tuesday.

1)there was a some thing a about changing the power on delay times and input delays. haven't tried nor can i find any recommend settings.

2) sense i added the DXC3400 to the remote that was all ready set up with a older or different cable box, that it mite have a extra/or kept a marco command that is causing this. the answer i found was to remove all devices and actions then update the remote, (there is no hard reboot, this is how they say to do it) get rid of the old/recommands. then reload the devices all over again start fresh. this is what i am doing now.
this is what i found and were I'm at.

now my question is after i load everything back up, i noticed the the PVR picture in the harmony remote software has a pause simple on it. so that mean that its not setup or done setup yet. is the shaw remote a motorola remote that says shaw on it or is it a universal remote shaw give you. i ask this cos want to know which method to select in the setup cos the shaw remote has multi inputs (sat, tv, aux) like video 1 and video 2 but i have a samsung tv. so do i choice the method 2 or 3?
post #102 of 103 Old 10-07-2012, 11:47 AM

Its the remote! if you have a harmony remote.

I am have a similar problem. with my motorola DXC3400 changing the input source on the receiver from hdmi 2 to tv/sat. and the cable box displays DUI when it happen.

first let me list stuff

samsung 60'' plasma T.V.
motorola DXC3400 PVR (shaw cable is the provider)
Pioneer receiver VSX-1020-k
PS3
Harmony one remote
logitech PS3 adapter for harmony remote

every thing is routed through the receiver, ps3 is one hdmi 1, cable box on hdmi 2 and receiver to the TV.
now if i dont use the harmony remote, but each devises every thing works fine. when i use the harmony remote for a all in one action it does the problem i mention above. I have removed the PVR from the harmony remote and use the shaw remote to turn on just the pvr and everything works fine (everything still going through the receiver).

I have bee checking the internet for answers sense its the weekend and logitechs hotline not open intel tuesday.

1)there was a some thing a about changing the power on delay times and input delays. haven't tried nor can i find any recommend settings.

2) sense i added the DXC3400 to the remote that was all ready set up with a older or different cable box, that it mite have a extra/or kept a marco command that is causing this. the answer i found was to remove all devices and actions then update the remote, (there is no hard reboot, this is how they say to do it) get rid of the old/recommands. then reload the devices all over again start fresh. this is what i am doing now.
this is what i found and were I'm at.

now my question is after i load everything back up, i noticed the the PVR picture in the harmony remote software has a pause simple on it. so that mean that its not setup or done setup yet. is the shaw remote a motorola remote that says shaw on it or is it a universal remote shaw give you. i ask this cos want to know which method to select in the setup cos the shaw remote has multi inputs (sat, tv, aux) like video 1 and video 2 but i have a samsung tv. so do i choice the method 2 or 3?
post #103 of 103 Old 07-21-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I bou
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbtaylor View Post

Originally Posted by tnbtaylor

Hello all,

I am the original poster of this issue. After a long battle, I've finally fixed this issue.

Here is the simple fix: I installed the Monoprice HSP-102M HDMI Splitter Amplifier between my Sony Amp and the Samsung TV. The HSP-102M is only $35 from Monoprice.com. I have tested this and the Motorolla box DOES NOT lose the user defined settings!

I hope anyone and everyone with this issue will try this solution! It works for me and I now have all devices using HDMI for video and sound, with no need to run optical cables!

Thanks,

Tom
. I got the same splitter for the same issue after doing some research, but unfortunately for me, my box is still resetting to 1080P. Grrrrrr
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page