Adding OTA signal to hospital wide cable signal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-06-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I asked this last year about combining OTA and cable in a healthcare facility I work in. To recap, we have Cablevision analog feed coming in to the hospital, with only certain channels. For some reason the clear QAM channels are blocked. But we still have our OTA antenna that gets great signal. At first I was told by this forum I could not combine the 2 since the cable and OTA channels share the same frequencies.
But now that we are post transition and analog OTA is gone I'd like to know if it can still be done. Here in NY Ch 7,11 and 13 went back to its original frequency. So would there still be inteference with Cablevision's analog 7,11,13? Or are they both completely different?

Also, the OTA antenna feed right now sits in the main equipment room where we have a rack of modulators that display hospital programs. These programs play on our DVD player through the modulators on Ch 82,83, etc. The output of all these modulators go into this one big "combiner", I think they had 1DB taps. The output of this combiner then goes to the main feed throughout the hospital.
So can I just hook up the OTA antenna to one of the taps on the combiner? Will that carry the signal throughout the hospital?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-06-2009, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Nothing has changed - you still can't put OTA and cable on the same piece of coax (unless you do like you did for your hospital channels - receive them via a convertor box, then modulate them on channels that your in-house cable doesn't use.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #3 of 8 Old 08-06-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
As suggested above you get a CECB converter box for each OTA channel then connect the RCA outputs to a modulator. You will need an unused modulator for each channel.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-06-2009, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

I asked this last year about combining OTA and cable in a healthcare facility I work in. To recap, we have Cablevision analog feed coming in to the hospital, with only certain channels. For some reason the clear QAM channels are blocked.

I'd contact CV and see what the problem is with the QAM channels. They should be able to fix it.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #5 of 8 Old 08-06-2009, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdish View Post

As suggested above you get a CECB converter box for each OTA channel then connect the RCA outputs to a modulator. You will need an unused modulator for each channel.

I don't need the converter box because I already get the major networks SD channels through the Cablevision. The problem is we don't get the HD version (clear QAM) channels. For some reason because this is a business account, and because they only let in certain channels, I think thats why they block the Clear QAM channel. We have several flat-panel HDTV's that are using the 4:3 analog signal from Cablevision and it looks like crap. I figured since the TV's have an ATSC tuner, I could pump in the OTA signal, then just enter channel 2.1,4.1,etc to get the HD version.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-06-2009, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I don't need the converter box because I already get the major networks SD channels through the Cablevision. The problem is we don't get the HD version (clear QAM) channels. For some reason because this is a business account, and because they only let in certain channels, I think thats why they block the Clear QAM channel. We have several flat-panel HDTV's that are using the 4:3 analog signal from Cablevision and it looks like crap. I figured since the TV's have an ATSC tuner, I could pump in the OTA signal, then just enter channel 2.1,4.1,etc to get the HD version.

The short answer is that you cannot use the same cable for OTA and cable. The frequencies overlap.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #7 of 8 Old 08-06-2009, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

What makes you so sure that Cablevision is blocking the channels and not your own setup? I can't say if this applies to all Cablevision areas, but at least in one I have data for, WABC/WLIW are on 83, WNBC/WNYW are on 93, WWOR and WPIX are on 94, and WCBS/WNET are on 101. If you're inserting channels in the 80s, something is lowpassing the incoming signal from Cablevision at 550MHz or so to allow that to happen.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-07-2009, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

What makes you so sure that Cablevision is blocking the channels and not your own setup? I can't say if this applies to all Cablevision areas, but at least in one I have data for, WABC/WLIW are on 83, WNBC/WNYW are on 93, WWOR and WPIX are on 94, and WCBS/WNET are on 101. If you're inserting channels in the 80s, something is lowpassing the incoming signal from Cablevision at 550MHz or so to allow that to happen.

Everytime I do a scan on one of the HDTV's ( and this is at the point the cable comes into the building) I can't find any QAM channels. And yes, the highest Cablevison channel is 74 , so we can put 80's channels in the signal.

I guess If I had a ATSC-QAM modulator, then I could accomplish this, but I know those are expensive.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page