DirecTV Double Play? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 08-10-2009, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I searched the forum and didn't see a discussion about this. Has anyone played with the new double play feature on DirecTV? You press the down arrow and can flip back and forth between 2 channels. I thought it would pause the channel you're not watching but it doesn't. I can't tell the difference between double play and previous channel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-10-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Sounds like they advertised it before it was made available in the national code release, a quick look at some threads at dbstalk shows Sept.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-10-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Double Play (when it is officially released, which it hasn't been yet) will allow dual buffering like the TiVo's have. So, it is not like previous channel, because you can buffer the two channels you switch between. This means you can watch one program, pause it, switch to the other program, pause it, go back to the first, ad infinitum. Mostly, it's a way to watch two live programs at the same time and particularly useful for sports fans who want to watch more than one game at the same time.

SMK
post #4 of 16 Old 08-10-2009, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Well it is out because I can do that now and it tells me "press down for Double Play" and "DoublePlay Started!". I guess you just have to pause and un pause it yourself then flip back and forth.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-12-2009, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_Cable View Post

Well it is out because I can do that now and it tells me "press down for Double Play" and "DoublePlay Started!". I guess you just have to pause and un pause it yourself then flip back and forth.

You must accidentally (or deliberately) have downloaded one of the CE test releases that has this feature in test. It isn't in the national release of software yet.

Which software release do you have?
post #6 of 16 Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_Cable View Post

You need to manually pause the channel when changing to the 2nd Tuner signal using DP, but when you go back the program will automatically resume playing at the spot you left off (so no reason to unpause). If you forget to pause then you can rewind to where you need to watch (up to 90 minutes I think is max). My biggest problem is forgetting I'm using DP and hitting the Prev Channel button instead of the Down Arrow and I end up losing the buffer.

I wish they would allow an automatic dual buffer instead of having to specifically choose and then use a different technique. Maybe that will eventually work it's way into the program when it's ready for Prime Time, but looking at the Candidate frimware updates that doesn't seem to be the direction.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-05-2009, 01:32 PM

So I got the notice the other day about "Double Play" being available, and thinking "wow, 5 years after having the DirecTV Tivo, they finally made this feature available again". So I tried it out. Its the worst thing ever, unless somehow my system has a bug. No matter what two channels I have last watched, every time I initialize Double-play, one of the channels is ALWAYS the local Fox channel 11. I could be watching ESPN and ESPN2, and then click double-play, and when I hit down, it goes to channel 11.

Why can't the box just automatically buffer whatever 2 channels I have watched, all the time, no matter what, like the old DirecTivo?

post #8 of 16 Old 09-05-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post

Why can't the box just automatically buffer whatever 2 channels I have watched, all the time, no matter what, like the old DirecTivo?

The reason I've heard is that the box needs to use the second tuner for things like downloading (recording actually) things in the background (ie: PPV movies DirecTV hopes you will watch). If it was always buffering (like TiVo), it wouldn't be able to do this. I'm with you though ... I like to leave the second tuner on a particular channel, so I can switch over to it at any time and rewind it.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post

So I got the notice the other day about "Double Play" being available, and thinking "wow, 5 years after having the DirecTV Tivo, they finally made this feature available again". So I tried it out. Its the worst thing ever, unless somehow my system has a bug. No matter what two channels I have last watched, every time I initialize Double-play, one of the channels is ALWAYS the local Fox channel 11. I could be watching ESPN and ESPN2, and then click double-play, and when I hit down, it goes to channel 11.

It would be nice to do the auto for the last 2 channels watched, but once you initiate it then you have to manually choose which channels.

If you;re watching ESPN, hit the down arrow twic and when the machine goes to 11 (or whatever other channel) then just switch to ESPN2 either with menu or # buttons. Then you should be able to toggle with the down arrow b/w ESPN/ESPN2. The next time you initiate DP I think it will go back to whatever station you watching when DP cut off.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-12-2009, 08:52 AM

I downloaded this update (0x350) accidentally on my HR20 too a few days ago... Its a good update. I had the same feature on Tivo YEARS ago, but i welcome the update just in time for football... I tried to update my livingroom HR20 today, but it keeps getting software 0x312, so i guess its not available for now...

0x350 also adds a TVmail link on the menu and a help link under setup... Not sure wht else.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-12-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by peni32 View Post

I tried to update my livingroom HR20 today, but it keeps getting software 0x312, so i guess its not available for now...

You should have it soon. The new national release (0x34C) has been slowly rolling out for about a week. My two HR20s have received it, but the HR23 is still waiting.
post #12 of 16 Old 09-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

I think 0x034C should be the new national firmware release and it should automatically be added to your HR20 within the next week or so. DirecTV usually does a rolling rollout of its updates - in the past it usually went west to east.

If you got 0X0350 it's possible if you forced the software update between 11pm and 2:30am EDT on a Friday or Saturday night then you may have gotten last weeks Beta evaluation software. Forcing the software any other time will get you whatever National Firmware is in your Regional Satellite stream
post #13 of 16 Old 09-15-2009, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect60 View Post

I think 0x034C should be the new national firmware release and it should automatically be added to your HR20 within the next week or so. DirecTV usually does a rolling rollout of its updates - in the past it usually went west to east.

If you got 0X0350 it's possible if you forced the software update between 11pm and 2:30am EDT on a Friday or Saturday night then you may have gotten last weeks Beta evaluation software. Forcing the software any other time will get you whatever National Firmware is in your Regional Satellite stream

Reports are that 0x034c is now rolling out to all time zones although not necessarily to all the DVRs, but I expect it will have complete coverage this week.
prospect60 is correct about 0x0350. It's a test release of the software, and this shows the danger of trying to force a download. Luckily 0x0350 is pretty stable, but some of the test releases are not and they can delete all your recordings or create all sorts of other problems. And they are not supported by DirecTV, if you talk to a CSR they will not know anything about the release.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-22-2009, 04:39 AM

FYI, My Doubleplay update occurred this morning at 4am eastern on my HR23-700.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-14-2010, 02:34 PM

OK, so can someone explain (1) how to set the two channels and (2) how to clear it i.e turn it off?

I wanted to switch between Daytona (ch5) and PGA golf (ch8), so while on ch8 I pushed the down button (initiate) and then pressed it again. I assumed (since there are no instructions anywhere) that it would alternate between the last two channels. Nope, the second channel was ch3 (instead of ch5). I could not find any means to change ch3 to ch5. If I was on ch8 and manually selected ch5, it went between ch3 and ch5. Eventually, and I have no idea what I did, i got it to swap between ch5/8.

Before that however, I wanted to just clear it and try again. NO clue. Only thing I can find is that after 2 hours of non-use it clears. Got to be a way to do this on command.

Google has revealed nothing. Help?

Roscoe
post #16 of 16 Old 02-15-2010, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I don't know why, but when you initiate DoublePlay, it does not automatically go to the last channel you watched. Instead, on my DVR at least, it always goes to WGBH which is 2-1. I think if yours goes to 3, that means it must go to the lowest available channel. But what's to stop you from changing channels? The whole idea is that you can change either channel independently. When you initiate DoublPlay, if it takes you to a channel you don't want, just change the channel. You will still go back to the initial channel with the next down button press.

So in your case, you would be watching channel 8. You hit the down arrow twice, and it brings you to channel 3. Press the channel up button to get to channel 5, and now if you hit the down arrow, it will toggle between 8 and 5.

I don't know any way to stop it, but I don't think there is a need to until the second tuner needs to record something. At that point you will be given the options of recording or continuing DoublePlay.

SMK
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page