Comcast going all digital and Dual Tuner PIP TV's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-19-2009, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently, I received mailings from Comcast stating that my market was going all digital and that I would need to get their digital adapters for my tv's that do not have cable boxes to maintain the channels that those tv's are now receiving...

I have two dual-tuner PIP televisions in my house that are currently not hooked up to a cable box. My cable box is hooked up to my 37 inch LCD.

I was disappointed to see that when the digital adapters are connected to my dual-tuner PIP tv's, that my PIP can only display the same channel. Are there ways around this? Could I get a splitter and connect two adapters to these tv's?

I know I can get a DVR but I don't see why I should pay for a subscription service when the feature was paid for when I got these televisions. A CSR said that there is some other box they might be able to offer me that is made by Motorola, but he wasn't sure of its availability, and it would cost approximately $10 a month per tv (not far off of the DVR price).

Thanks for any assistance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-19-2009, 09:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanball21 View Post

Recently, I received mailings from Comcast stating that my market was going all digital and that I would need to get their digital adapters for my tv's that do not have cable boxes to maintain the channels that those tv's are now receiving...

I have two dual-tuner PIP televisions in my house that are currently not hooked up to a cable box. My cable box is hooked up to my 37 inch LCD.

I was disappointed to see that when the digital adapters are connected to my dual-tuner PIP tv's, that my PIP can only display the same channel. Are there ways around this? Could I get a splitter and connect two adapters to these tv's?

Yes. In most markets Comcast will provide two DTA's for each account free of additional charge. DTA's are not HD.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 13 Old 08-20-2009, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Ken. We received 2 DTA's free of charge and installed them, also paid for another for a 3rd tv.

Are you saying that if we got 2 more DTA's, got 2 more splitters, and hooked an extra DTA each to the PIP tv's, we'll be able to use PIP (albeit needing essentially 3 remotes - 1 to change one tuner's channels, one to change another tuner's channels, and a 3rd remote to swap)?

Sorry, just wanted to make sure I understand this. Thank you.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-20-2009, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Thanks for the reply, Ken. We received 2 DTA's free of charge and installed them, also paid for another for a 3rd tv.

Are you saying that if we got 2 more DTA's, got 2 more splitters, and hooked an extra DTA each to the PIP tv's, we'll be able to use PIP (albeit needing essentially 3 remotes - 1 to change one tuner's channels, one to change another tuner's channels, and a 3rd remote to swap)?

Sorry, just wanted to make sure I understand this. Thank you.

Essentially - yes. This is assuming that the DTAs can be individually addressed so when you changed the channel on 1 DTA, it doesn't also affect the other DTA.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #5 of 13 Old 08-20-2009, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Alright, other than this are there any other solutions besides giving in and getting DVR through Comcast or splitting the cable before the DTA and having the second tuner get the 2-20 channels?

I've found other posts that discussed this issue but it seems like there haven't been solutions.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-20-2009, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Alright, other than this are there any other solutions besides giving in and getting DVR through Comcast or splitting the cable before the DTA and having the second tuner get the 2-20 channels?

I've found other posts that discussed this issue but it seems like there haven't been solutions.

Live without the PIP ?

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #7 of 13 Old 08-20-2009, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Chatted with Comcast rep online.

Was told that I can get PIP with digital channels on both tuners if I use a DTA and digital cable box and splitter. Might drop by Comcast today to check into this. Box runs for $3.95 a month but was offered one box free for a year. Cheaper than having to get a dvr cable box at least. But I'll need 3 remotes it sounds like to use PIP.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-26-2009, 06:31 PM

what is a dta? also is the pip button ever gonna work on the comcast remote?
post #9 of 13 Old 08-26-2009, 06:39 PM

Liked: 19
Correct me if I'm mistaken but their DTAs are digital to analog. So essentially these would really only be good for SDTV because that would look crappy on a HDTV.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-26-2009, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rave2173 View Post

what is a dta?

DTA = Digital Terminal Adapter

Comcast is eliminating most analog channels, except for local and public service, to reclaim the bandwidth for expansion of HD channels and other services.

Comcast customers who subscribe to the Standard Basic tier, which are currently channels 2-99, will need a DTA to view the channels they subscribe to. After the cable analog channels are eliminated, there will only be approximately 20 local and public service analog channels remaining on each Comcast system.

The DTA allows Comcast to continue to provide service to Standard Basic subscribers without having to provide a digital cable box, which are much more expensive than a DTA.

Quote:

also is the pip button ever gonna work on the comcast remote?

No.

post #11 of 13 Old 08-26-2009, 07:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Correct me if I'm mistaken but their DTAs are digital to analog. So essentially these would really only be good for SDTV because that would look crappy on a HDTV.

You've got the right idea, but SD shouldn't look 'crappy', it should just not look as good as HD.

post #12 of 13 Old 08-26-2009, 08:08 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

You've got the right idea, but SD shouldn't look 'crappy', it should just not look as good as HD.

Well my point is is that if you have a HDTV you'd be better off just getting a STB that can handle HD.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-26-2009, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Well my point is is that if you have a HDTV you'd be better off just getting a STB that can handle HD.

Yes, that's generally true, but some people get an HDTV for just movies, and local HD.

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page