post #61 of 70 Old 04-14-2011, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Better served how? Three of the four TV sets in my house have only one set of A/V inputs, currently used by the converter boxes, not that my dad seems to know how to use anything besides the volume and the channel up button anyway. (The boxes are set to "always on" because more than one power button was too confusing.)

Not to mention that it would require four $100 boxes instead of one $100 box plus a $35 modulator like I would have had if I'd had FTA when we were analog. (I used the modulator to feed the local WB subchannel to the other TVs in the house before the age of CECBs.)

- Trip

Better served because each TV will have independent access to the two hundred channels that are on the satellite that carries Al Jazeeera.

So you want to take the standard def Al Jazeera output from your FTA receiver, somehow encode it to MPEG, modulate it to 8VAB, and then have it demodulated and decoded by your CECB, broadcast TV tuner box where it is then modulated to channel 3 NTSC and viewed on -what - a Philco TV with a round picture tube and a doily on top? And you want a hardware solution to do all that to get you one channel that costs less than the $100 per box/TV to do it over L-bands? Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 Old 04-14-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Each TV may have "access" to it, but if my dad has to get up and unplug the converter box and hook up the satellite box in order to watch the two channels of interest on that satellite, (since most of it is non-English and most of the rest is religious in nature) then it doesn't really make a difference how much access there is. He couldn't even manage to use the button I set up on the remote to flip the TV over to analog to watch PBS before the transition, let alone something like that. I don't think he's atypical of many TV viewers.

I'd love a full solution of some kind for less than the $300 premium it would run me to equip an entire house to watch a single additional channel without replacing all the sets; we had it in analog just fine. Plus, then I could use multiple dishes and add programming from multiple satellites with additional modulator boxes.

I'm not really sure why I should be expected to go out and buy brand new TV sets to do something that used to be easily doable without making such a purchase. (New TVs would allow use of my analog modulator since they have the ability to receive both analog and digital, unlike the boxes.)

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #63 of 70 Old 04-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post

The "community" of people who need to be able to demodulate 8VSB but who cannot demodulate QAM is limited to the ever dwindling number of cheapskates who still have only their CECB box available for such a purpose. I have more of those customers than anyone I know of, but they are an insignificant and declining customer base.

As Trip has already pointed out, there are a lot of devices that can demodulate QAM, but can't demodulate QAM and 8VSB at the "same time". I have a nice large screen Sony TV connected to a good OTA antenna setup. The TV can decode QAM, but only if I set the coax input for "cable" rather than "antenna". So the fact that my TV can demodulate QAM is useless to me. I think the ability to distribute programming to all the TV's in the house without having to have special equipment at each TV will still be a nice capability. I understand that that may never happen cheaply for the consumer.

Does anyone have an idea how much a SPTE310M card like the Computer Modules ATSC Master II FD-RS PCIe card would cost? Any other cheaper alternatives?
post #64 of 70 Old 04-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

When will the patents for 8VSB, MPEG2 and Dolby Digital audio expire? Prices should drop tremendously then.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #65 of 70 Old 04-15-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
To answer the OP, they are called "modulators" as discussed here;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=modulator

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #66 of 70 Old 04-16-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:

Does anyone have an idea how much a SPTE310M card like the Computer Modules ATSC Master II FD-RS PCIe card would cost? Any other cheaper alternatives?

It's one of those things where if you have to ask the price, then you can't afford it. Cards like this are generally $1k and up. If your lucky and you keep searching ebay you might one day find one there. It will be used and sold as-is because the person selling it will likely not have any way of actually testing it. Then you can bid on it and maybe get it for $300 or $400, not knowing whether it'll actually work or just be a piece of useless junk. Anyway, that's the easy part. The hard part is going to be 2 other issues. The first is you'll need software to support it. The pro version of Tsreader supports some ASI and dvb-spi output cards. Whether or not it supports the cards your interested in I'm not sure. If it does it's a bargain at $399. The second problem your going to face is you'll have to feed your atsc modulator a transport stream that's 100% atsc compliant. That means the bitrate of the mux and the audio and video formats will have to be exactly in line with the ATSC spec. Otherwise, the modulator will likely choke and just give give you some kind of alarm. The bottom line is this is going to be very expensive and complicated because the ATSC modulator your looking at is only one piece of a much larger puzzle. That's probably why these ATSC modulators on ebay are being sold so cheap. They're only practical use is to those who are actually operating an OTA broadcast station.
post #67 of 70 Old 04-17-2011, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post

$150 on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sencore-ATSC987-...item2562d9421f

Good luck getting the proper input format.

http://www.ascendant.com.tw/download...atsc-987_e.pdf

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #68 of 70 Old 04-17-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

There is the problem sencore..! Only works till the power supply craps out. kinda like the tarts who stole from my truck and wifes suburban the other day. Gonna have to pull a Justified in the neigborhood and shake down the section 8 who moved in around the corner...

Rob

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #69 of 70 Old 07-03-2012, 09:38 PM

This demo shows how small the HD transmitter can be made.
Still, as earlier posted, it goes through a access/point receiver and not the built in HDTV receiver or tuner.
http://www.trendygadget.com/2008/10/04/hitachi-hd-camcorder-with-wireless-transmitter/

There are Home/private use DTV transmitters available for sale usually
for schools, company compounds. low power controlled distance transmission.
RF transmission is regulated usually by law mainly in terms of wattage and distance. covered

Now here is a 8VBS modulator the output of which you can send thru a cable connected to you DTV receivers.
http://www.sencore.com/product/8vsb-modulator-card

To bring it up OTA I believe will simply require an RF amplifier tuned to the broadcast
frequency/channel you decide to use. A 1 watt RF amplifier will more than suffice or a
2N109 NpP RF TRANSISTOR which i sudes fro analog TV trasnmission at the old school.
(I think i still have that historical piece somewhere in one of those jars).
your friendly tV repair guy/ hobbyist can make one for you. buy him a beer afterwards.

I still am straining to understand 8VBS and the mpeg stream over my very much analog mind. i wish some one can walk us thru that the way Malvino explains it http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007039878X/ A link will suffice. I really want to make one so i can get an HD view on my RC plane.
post #70 of 70 Old 07-04-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
That PC card is $1600! rolleyes.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page