Personal ATSC Transmitter? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 70 Old 08-20-2009, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I'm not quite sure if this is in the correct forum, so please feel free to relocate this if it isn't.

I would like to be able to broadcast audio/video output from my PC to the TVs in the house. I'd like to do it in 1080i, with 5.1 audio output. However, I currently live in an apartment where I cannot fish new wiring. This eliminates things like network media serving since my wireless network cannot support enough data throughput for multiple TVs.

Are there personal ATSC transmitters on the market, similar to the FM transmitters that are audio only? The range doesn't need to be far at all, possibly 25 feet or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 08-20-2009, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 315
A quick google search came up with this:
http://www.amazon.com/Brite-View-BV-.../dp/B0026FCGLI
http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...ransmitter/C93
post #3 of 70 Old 08-20-2009, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Your Google-fu is better than mine.

Can anyone find one which transmits ATSC specifically? I'd rather not have to shell out for receivers when the TVs already have the ATSC tuners built-in.
post #4 of 70 Old 08-20-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
ATSC is not an RF modulation tranmission standard.
OTA digital TV is broadcast using MPEG2 encoding in accordance with ATSC standards asnd is broadcast using 8VSB RF modulation. Most cable digitasl content is also encoded in accordance with the the ATSC standards.
I am not aware of any home use transmiters for 8VSB modulated digital video that would enable any TV in a home to receive the content with an OTA 8vsb digital tuner (which is often mistankenly called an ATSC tuner).
Is it if your intention to send different HD programs to different TV all of which have digital tuners from your PC or to send a single program to the other TVs concurently?
post #5 of 70 Old 08-20-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You won't be able to transmit 8VSB privately. The FCC would frown upon that I'm sure.

Shell out for an electrician and run cables/wiring from your antenna to the TV's to suit your needs.
post #6 of 70 Old 08-20-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

You won't be able to transmit 8VSB privately. The FCC would frown upon that I'm sure.

It seems that the product is both legal and illegal.

"The Air HD (BV-2500) will automatically adjust its frequency between 4.9~5.9 GHz."

There are unlicensed frequency bands at 5.3 and 5.8 Ghz. 4.9 GHZ is reserved for public service, but unlicensed. Weather radar uses 5.5 GHz.
post #7 of 70 Old 08-20-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
There is a product that will modulate an ATSC signal which is currently being used for tests of amateur DTV, but using one of these on the TV band is illegal. Plus, it's a lot more expensive than those products to which you've already been linked.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #8 of 70 Old 08-20-2009, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Is it if your intention to send different HD programs to different TV all of which have digital tuners from your PC or to send a single program to the other TVs concurently?

A single program to all of the TVs concurrently
post #9 of 70 Old 08-20-2009, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I was under the impression that low-power broadcasting on them would be OK? That seems to be the case with FM, at least, since you can get personal FM transmitters that use licensed frequencies for personal audio devices.

Quote:

Shell out for an electrician and run cables/wiring from your antenna to the TV's to suit your needs.

If it were allowed I would run the cabling myself, but, it's not.
post #10 of 70 Old 08-20-2009, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There's a rule allowing extremely low-powered FM transmitters. No such rule exists for TV.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #11 of 70 Old 08-20-2009, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You might look into HDMI over Powerline equipment:

http://www.efunctional.com/dbhdp100.html

I don't know if you can do component over powerline since that wold probably be better if the same program is going to all the TVs.
post #12 of 70 Old 08-20-2009, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The second linked product in post #2, "Flywire", from Belkin, was never produced, and Belkin announced earlier this year that it will not be produced.
post #13 of 70 Old 08-20-2009, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post

It seems that the product is both legal and illegal.

"The Air HD (BV-2500) will automatically adjust its frequency between 4.9~5.9 GHz."

There are unlicensed frequency bands at 5.3 and 5.8 Ghz. 4.9 GHZ is reserved for public service, but unlicensed. Weather radar uses 5.5 GHz.

With a broadcast distance of 20 meters... I don't think it will disrupt your neighbor's weather radar too badly.

This device is no different than some portable phones.

That's a lot different than remodulating and rebroadcasting a signal within the 50-800MHz range.
post #14 of 70 Old 08-20-2009, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

There's a rule allowing extremely low-powered FM transmitters. No such rule exists for TV.

- Trip

Ah, I wasn't aware that the FM exception was specific. I had assumed it was a blanket low-power exemption.

Thanks guys. Sounds like I'll just have to wait to do this until I move into my house in a couple months and I can run wires to wherever I want!
post #15 of 70 Old 08-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you are willing to sacrifice some signal quality for your temporary situation you might consider something like a Leapfrog:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post16855001

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
post #16 of 70 Old 08-21-2009, 03:57 PM

Since the original poster asked specifically about ATSC... SR Systems in Germany sells an MPEG encoder / 8VSB modulator combination capable of generating about 10 milliwatts of power for about 1000 euros. It's intended for use by Amateur Radio operators - who mostly use DVB-S instead of ATSC anyway. I bought a pair of these and am working on an Amateur ATSC repeater here in the bay area.

But the idea of using these to move TV around your house is pretty much a non-starter. Your best bet is (vaporware, so far as I know) wireless HDMI gear.
post #17 of 70 Old 08-21-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What about using those 8vsb modulators going through RG6 coax ?

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #18 of 70 Old 08-21-2009, 04:54 PM

Yeah, I think the point is more about the $1500 cost of the equipment...
post #19 of 70 Old 08-21-2009, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

What about a ZvBox? It uses QAM, not ATSC, but seems to do what you want otherwise. You'd need the Pro model for 1080i.
post #20 of 70 Old 08-22-2009, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsayer View Post

Since the original poster asked specifically about ATSC... SR Systems in Germany sells an MPEG encoder / 8VSB modulator combination capable of generating about 10 milliwatts of power for about 1000 euros. It's intended for use by Amateur Radio operators - who mostly use DVB-S instead of ATSC anyway. I bought a pair of these and am working on an Amateur ATSC repeater here in the bay area.

But the idea of using these to move TV around your house is pretty much a non-starter. Your best bet is (vaporware, so far as I know) wireless HDMI gear.

But does the SR Systems do MPEG2 audio or AC3? I thought the big debate in CA ATV circles was the fact that this type gear didn't do AC3 and therefore CECBs were useless since unlike the more expensive STBs, the CECB's didn't have MPEG2 decoders in them and the ATSC ATV activity would start at 1296 using the L-Band segment of DVB-S receivers and not use 432?

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #21 of 70 Old 08-23-2009, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

But does the SR Systems do MPEG2 audio or AC3? I thought the big debate in CA ATV circles was the fact that this type gear didn't do AC3 and therefore CECBs were useless since unlike the more expensive STBs, the CECB's didn't have MPEG2 decoders in them and the ATSC ATV activity would start at 1296 using the L-Band segment of DVB-S receivers and not use 432?

I'm sure the SR Systems encoder is MPEG-1 Layer 2. I'll also guess that it's fully capable of AC-3 (it's not that much more MIPS for AC-3 2.0), but they just don't want to deal with the Dolby licensing.

Aside from the encoder fee, I believe you need to verify that each customer has paid their fee to Dolby to produce/transmit content. Not a good model for the amateur radio market.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #22 of 70 Old 08-23-2009, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post

I'm sure the SR Systems encoder is MPEG-1 Layer 2. I'll also guess that it's fully capable of AC-3 (it's not that much more MIPS for AC-3 2.0), but they just don't want to deal with the Dolby licensing.

Aside from the encoder fee, I believe you need to verify that each customer has paid their fee to Dolby to produce/transmit content. Not a good model for the amateur radio market.

A few months ago, Toner Cable was taking orders for a commercial MPEG-2encoder/QAM modulator product intended for headend use for $2,500, and one of my competitors said he was testing the prototype, but when I called in to place an order, I was told that they had to drop that product because of a problem negotiating the Dolby rights fee.
post #23 of 70 Old 08-25-2009, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 49
If the OP has an existing RF coax connection directly to each TV then he would just need a modulator and NOT a transmitter? That would presumably be legal - though they aren't cheap.

If the TVs are QAM compatible then the zvboxes might be of interest? Think they are more geared to PC connection - but may also allow HD video sources? The ZVBox 150 appears to have HD Component inputs - though 720p only - not 1080i?

http://www.zeevee.com/connected-home

(Sorry - just seen coyoteaz posted a similar thought)
post #24 of 70 Old 08-25-2009, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

If the OP has an existing RF coax connection directly to each TV then he would just need a modulator and NOT a transmitter? That would presumably be legal - though they aren't cheap.

If the TVs are QAM compatible then the zvboxes might be of interest? Think they are more geared to PC connection - but may also allow HD video sources? The ZVBox 150 appears to have HD Component inputs - though 720p only - not 1080i?

http://www.zeevee.com/connected-home

(Sorry - just seen coyoteaz posted a similar thought)

Along with this line of thinking is the Bocs Extender (SD at the present, but HD is in future)

Also they have a thread on AVS with a rep from the company to answer questions... David Feller is the go to guy for this product.

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
post #25 of 70 Old 08-26-2009, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
The Air HD operates on the NON-DFS (Dynamic Frequency Selection) frequencies,

Hugh?
Quote:
In other words, the Air HD (BV-2500) will automatically adjust its frequency between 4.9~5.9 GHz for the best video transmission performance possible

That ought to go far. Surely can't use a consumer ATSC receiver with that.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #26 of 70 Old 08-28-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

- Trip

I'd like to ask for clarification on this... I may not be using all the correct terms, but I have a VCR that modulates analog/NTSC on channel 3 (or 4), right? Of course that's legal, right? I see that he does want to do it wirelessly, but lets say he already had coax run. Is there a device that could do that such as I outlined above?

If there is, obviously it would be illegal (don't do it!), but technically possible to use an amp with directional antennas to send that through the air a short distance.

Drop pay-TV. Put up an antenna. Enjoy free HDTV. Save $60-100 or more per month!
post #27 of 70 Old 08-28-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp2244 View Post

... but I have a VCR that modulates analog/NTSC on channel 3 (or 4), right? Of course that's legal, right? Is there a device that could do that such as I outlined above?

Not for "ATSC" (8VSB) that I am aware. Remodulating over coax cable is not the same as re-broadcasting OTA (wirelessly) on licenced frequencies.

EDIT:
Let me clarify... It would be legal, but I am not aware of any "box" that re-modulates ATSC similar to a VCR.
post #28 of 70 Old 08-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronfitz View Post

This eliminates things like network media serving since my wireless network cannot support enough data throughput for multiple TVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronfitz View Post

A single program to all of the TVs concurrently

Multicast over Wi-Fi would allow you to send the same video stream to all of the clients on the network, using only the bandwidth of a single video stream.

You'll need 802.11n to get the speed needed for HD, though. 802.11a/b/g won't be fast enough.

-- Kevin
post #29 of 70 Old 08-28-2009, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp2244 View Post

I'd like to ask for clarification on this... I may not be using all the correct terms, but I have a VCR that modulates analog/NTSC on channel 3 (or 4), right? Of course that's legal, right?

Yep, as long as it's kept within the coax.

Quote:

I see that he does want to do it wirelessly, but lets say he already had coax run. Is there a device that could do that such as I outlined above?

That one really expensive SR Systems device is the only thing I've seen that does something like that.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #30 of 70 Old 01-10-2010, 08:06 AM

Liked: 14
I am waiting for something like the WV300 (can't post link, do a Google search)
I believe it's only a matter of time before one comes out, legal in the US or not
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page