Difficulty connecting Motorola QIP6200 and Philips DVDR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-07-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just signed up for Verizon Fios and it came with a Motorola QIP6200. I have a Philips DVDR3575 that love. I previously got my signal OTA and had no problems recording with the Philips DVR.

Now I cannot seem to get the Philips DVR to bring in the digital channels from the Motorola Box. I've tried a variety of connections, but nothing seems to work (I am no expert at this). So hopefully someone will be able to give me a little help in connecting these devices. Not sure if it matters, but I am also using a Sony Bravia TV.

I can play DVD's just fine and also watch pre-recorded content from the DVR that was recorded before I got the Motorola.

I currently have an HDMI cable going from the Philips DVR to the TV. Then I tried a variety of coaxial, S-video and RCA cable connections between the DVR and Motorola cable box - none of which seem to work. After searching for channels, it will bring in like 3 or 4 channels, all 3.1, 3.2 3.3, then display only the other inputs "E1-Rear" "E2-Front" "USB" etc. No other channels.

Also not sure if it has something to with Verizon requiring me to click "menu" before watching content. I'm sure I sound stupid, but I'll take the shame to solve this problem!

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

This is the thread which will answer any questions about your 3575. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657
I have a 3575, a 3576 and Cox cable. All my extended basic channels are analog with good signal quality. My locals are also available as clear QAM including both the SD and HD channels (i.e. 12 and 12.1).

The FIOS system (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=590208) is suppose to have the local SD and HD channels in clear QAM (but no analog channels). To view them on the DVDR you have to connect the coax coming from the wall into the 3575 then perform the Auto Channel Preset using the Cable (analog) Digital option. The channel numbers may not correspond to either OTA or FIOS numbers. In order to use the Mot. STB you should split the cable from the wall with a coax going to the STB and another going to DVDR because the coax connection coming from the DVDR will block the upstream (going back into FIOS) path and some of the functionality of the STB will be lost. The HDMI connection from the DVDR to the TV is fine. In order to record any scrambled channels (enhanced basic or premium) you will have to connect the Audio L/R and composite (single yellow video jack) or S-Video output from the STB to the DVDR. Select the channel using the STB and set the Source on the DVDR to E1 (assuming you are using the rear input) and set the input in Setup Video to Video in (composite jack) or S-Video depending on which you are using. If you use the STB DVI output to the TV the composite and S-Video outputs may not operate at the same time. This should provide the equivalent functionality to your OTA hookup plus the expanded/premium channels from the STB. If you connect the coax out from the DVDR to the TV you can watch the local channels on the TV while you record a channel from the STB.

If it isn't 720p or 1080i/p it isn't HD. If it is 720p or 1080i/p it may not be HD content.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-08-2009, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Wow TX, thanks for that great advice. So if I understand you correctly, I just need to split the incoming signal from FIOS, one to my cable box and one to my 3575. Then with the HDMI connected between the 3575 and the TV, I should get most my channels through the 3575.

If I can get that working, I'll buy you a beer next time I'm in Texas!
post #4 of 4 Old 09-18-2009, 08:11 AM

So, Tim
How far did you get with the FiOS and the DVDR?

I live in Southeastern PA and had FiOS connected on 9/15. I also have a DVDR-3575H with which I have been quite happy. I attempted to hook up the cable directly from the wall to the DVDR, as txrose suggested, and got nothing, i.e., no ability to scan channels coming in from the cable. All I can do is run the cable out of the cable box into the DVDR (coax all the way) and set the DVDR to channel 3. Then I get whatever the cable box (or, STB as its called) is set to. The STB needs to be set with the overly complex Verizon FiOS remote to whatever I want to record. HOWEVER, I don't want to record ANYTHING, because the PICTURE QUALITY the DVDR is getting from the STB (and subsequently sending to the TV) is atrocious. So, I'm not sure that the "splitter" idea will work for me, since my DVDR can read nothing from the cable without the STB intermediating.

I am now going to go to the lengthy thread (940657) to which txrose referred us and see if there are any options for me in there. I am leaning toward deciding that my best option is to cancel FiOS TV and put a FEW extra dollars into my Netflix subscription, and watch what I want without a lot of finagling.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page