HD content protection of your display has been compromised...green screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 09-10-2009, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic Viera 58" 1080 model that i bought back on November 2007 new in the store. It's been connected with an hdmi cable i bought thru monoprice and worked flawlessly for close to 2 years.

A week ago last tuesday however I turn on my tv, and after 5 seconds of perfect picture and sound i get the blue box on my screen that says "The HD content protection of your display has been compromised. Please use the YPbPr outputs for your HD connection". Then, after about 10 seconds my screen goes green.

I did the usual internet search, tried the unplugging and powering off thing and it does the same thing everytime. I've called Comcast a bunch of times, had a tech come out, and have tried 4.....4 cable boxes and each one does this. I even tried using the hdmi cable from my xbox. I can get my blu ray, xbox, and laptop to display but my cable box will not.

Has anyone else found a legit fix for this? It's a bit ridiculous that I'm not able to use my hdmi set-up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 09-10-2009, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Are you using the same HDMI input on the TV with the blu ray as you were using with the cable box?
post #3 of 33 Old 09-10-2009, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
This is an HDCP problem. HDCP was been problematic with cable boxes for a long time. Some cable companies will not even support HDMI because of it. The easiest thing to do is to use component for the cable box.
post #4 of 33 Old 09-10-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

You didn't mention the model of cable stb you're using but some Motorola boxes have problems with HDMI that can be brought on by firmware updates. Motorola STB Firmware/Software Wiki Page

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 33 Old 09-15-2009, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

2 comcast techs were at my house for 3 and a half hours this weekend. Tried all kinds of diagnostic menus and settings. They had 3 brand new boxes they tried, which brings my total up to 7 boxes that don’t work.

Couple things had me worried though. I now have a bad hdmi port on my tv. Flat out wont work for anything. So, I’m down to 1 working port. They hooked my cable up using component cables, but the picture looked like absolutely horrible. Blurry and dark.

However, on my good hdmi port my Xbox and DVD player still worked flawlessly. In the end, they left without fixing the problem, but gave me the number to the head technician to schedule an appointment with them. The guys at my house said I was the 3rd person that day that had the same exact problem. They were both LG flatscreens so at first they thought it was a TV problem, but with me being a Panasonic plasma they had good confirmation that it’s a box problem.

I don’t even know what to do at this point. The quality from the component hook-up is so bad.
post #6 of 33 Old 09-15-2009, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Was the HDMI port bad prior to the visit by the Comcast techs?
post #7 of 33 Old 09-15-2009, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

The port 1 went bad the same day all the stuff went wrong. Just went black, so yes it went bad before the tech got to my house.

port 2 is still good though.

i bought new hdmi 1.3 cat 2 cables from monoprice today. figured i'll try that just in case.
post #8 of 33 Old 09-16-2009, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt97GT View Post

The port 1 went bad the same day all the stuff went wrong. Just went black, so yes it went bad before the tech got to my house.

port 2 is still good though.

i bought new hdmi 1.3 cat 2 cables from monoprice today. figured i'll try that just in case.

You may have to run through the video menu for your component input and make some adjustments , it really shouldn't look worse than the HDMI input.
post #9 of 33 Old 09-16-2009, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

i've tried all the available settings on the tv. are you referring to adjusting through the cable box?

the tech spent a good half hour trying to find a way to get a decent picture from the component cable hook-up but basically gave up.

new cables should be here tomorrow. If that doesn't work my only option I would think is to call Panasonic. Although I really don't think that's the case because the dvd player and xbox work just fine.

I've left 2 messages with the tech supervisor for Comcast, and he still hasn't called back. Though at this point I really don't have any faith in comcast.
post #10 of 33 Old 09-16-2009, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

I have an update: i took all of my cables and equipment to my parent's place since my dad has pretty much the same tv as me, except his panasonic is 1 generation newer with 3 hdmi ports instead of 2.

Every combination of cable used, with and without my hdmi splitter, and using the xbox, cable box, and dvd player....worked perfectly.

Unfortunately, this pretty much means *MY* tv is bad. It is 1.5 years old so that 1 year manufacturer warranty is pretty useless. I'll have to make a thread in the correct forum, but does anyone have experience in terms of hassle/price on getting a plasma repaired?
post #11 of 33 Old 09-16-2009, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Doesn't necessarily mean your TV is bad (other than the bad HDMI port)...

There is a problem in the HDCP handshake between your TV and the cable box. It may be a problem with the firmware on your TV, or a problem with the firmware in the cable box. You might want to see if there is a firmware upgrade available for your TV that would fix the problem. Your cable service provider should know whether there is a firmware upgrade available for the cable box.

It is not uncommon for the firmware on two pieces of equipment that are supposed to work together to have compatibility issues. Even the space shuttle has run into this problem. Basically you have two different sets of programmers implementing different parts of a protocol. Even if they start with a bullet proof protocol, they may consciously or unconsciously make assumptions about what the other side is doing or miss seemingly minor but critical points. Testing catches much of this. Cable box manufacturers will test their equipment against a representative set of TVs. But there is no way they can test against every model.
post #12 of 33 Old 09-16-2009, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

if the box worked on another panasonic very similar to mine, but not mine...wouldn't that shift the probability of the bad piece being the my TV instead of the box?
post #13 of 33 Old 09-17-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

If the cable box worked with another TV of the same model and firmware level as yours, then the likelihood would be that there was something wrong with your TV. You tested the cable box with a different model TV. All you have proved is that the cable box works with the different model TV. A set that is one generation newer will have hardware and firmware changes compared to what you have. You have proved nothing about whether the cable box, or the TV, is the source of your problem. Have you checked with the manufacturer of your TV to see if there are any known (that they will admit to) problems with HDCP or firmware upgrades?
post #14 of 33 Old 09-18-2009, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Since the TV will not display a good picture using component inputs the issue of a problem with the TV that is larger than an HDMI handshake seems likely to me. Even if the TV would not work with HDMI you should see a very good quality picture using component inputs.
post #15 of 33 Old 09-18-2009, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

I can post a picture when I get home, but basically the picture looks like faces blurred when anonymous interviews.
post #16 of 33 Old 09-18-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Is the picture quality with blu ray, xbox, and laptop still good. If so the TV is probably good.
post #17 of 33 Old 09-18-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If other Comcast customers had similar problems pop up, did Comcast's boxes do something that wrecked several people's TVs?

Would it be possible to try the cable box thru the other HDMI input? I know that'd leave the other components out in the cold, but at least it'd add to the available information on what's going on.
post #18 of 33 Old 09-19-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I can post a picture when I get home, but basically the picture looks like faces blurred when anonymous interviews.

If this is the case, your TV has serious problems. Some people might argue this, but component and HDMI should look nearly indistinguishable.

SMK
post #19 of 33 Old 09-19-2009, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

if the box worked on another panasonic very similar to mine, but not mine...wouldn't that shift the probability of the bad piece being the my TV instead of the box?

Any thunderstorms with lots of lightening before the problem occurred? Several years ago I had to replace the DVI input on the 50" Panny 6uy I had at the time along with the motherboard on my Lumagen video processor. Everything attached to the output from Cox's STB was fried. Of course, it wasn't Cox's fault they had lightening protection on their system!! also, try posting this in the plasma section. If it is a problem other Panny owners have experienced you are more likely to get and answer.
post #20 of 33 Old 12-31-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Any thunderstorms with lots of lightening before the problem occurred? Several years ago I had to replace the DVI input on the 50" Panny 6uy I had at the time along with the motherboard on my Lumagen video processor. Everything attached to the output from Cox's STB was fried. Of course, it wasn't Cox's fault they had lightening protection on their system!! also, try posting this in the plasma section. If it is a problem other Panny owners have experienced you are more likely to get and answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

It's not just a Plasma prob. Does it with my KDP51WS655 Sony which was made in Sept. 04 bought new in Jan. 05. I've had DishNetwork, Direct and now Mediacom Cable. Dish & Direct no problems. Now I live in an apt. complex and I'm stuck having to use Cable. Moved in Sept. 09 and had the Cable done. They gave me a Pace Tahoe 700 Series. There started to become several problems right off the bat. Darn thing started to reboot quite a bit on it's own after about a week. Then there's the watching 'live' tv and if a planned recording would start the sound would go off and U would have to change the channel to get it back on. Weird crap, U know.

Anyway, , , for 6 weeks I've had 5 techs out here to get the darn thing fixed and all of them showed up with a Motorola box, the latest being DCH6416. I get the same thing.

A green screen!!!

I also get the exact same message about the HD being compromised.

{MOF, that's how I found this discussion. Just typed in the message to google, bing.}

There's also a new twist with mine. The component cables will not put out any sound on the HD channels. Imagine that. And yes, the HDMI jack works perfectly with other equipment as does the component jacks.

So, the Pace Tahoe box doesn't have this problem with the signal yet the Motorola does. You'd think these techs could figure that one out. Being a 'firmware' problem that is. At least by reading this discussion that's what I think it is. Anyone else?
post #21 of 33 Old 12-31-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Very simple solution. Use component video.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #22 of 33 Old 12-31-2009, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsyurprob View Post

The component cables will not put out any sound on the HD channels. Imagine that.

Simply dig out a set of stereo audio cables, or an optical audio cable, depending on what type of audio input/output capabilities your equipment supports.

Component video has never included audio directly.
post #23 of 33 Old 12-31-2009, 08:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsyurprob View Post

There's also a new twist with mine. The component cables will not put out any sound on the HD channels. Imagine that.

You need to get out more.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #24 of 33 Old 12-07-2010, 11:54 AM

I get a similar error message with Verizon Fios using the Motorola qip 72161 DVR running through an Onkyo TX-NR1008. When I use the Onkyo to a single display it works fine. But when sending to both I get the HD content protection of your display has been compromised message. Same behavior regardless of the actual TV as I substituted another one in as well as different cables. So, I am assuming a firmware issue in either Onkyo receiver or Motorola box.

Onkyo support gave me the run around and told me to use Component input. Haven't tried Motorola yet.

In the mean time, I tried my $50 monoprice HDMI splitter and it handles it just fine.
post #25 of 33 Old 12-08-2010, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have Comcast, and use HDMI/Component and DVI on 3 different boxes. One TV has both HDMI and Component...I flat out cannot tell the difference in picture on the different connections. Something is wrong with your setup/cables or TV if you can see that much of a difference betwen Component and HDMI.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #26 of 33 Old 12-14-2012, 05:33 PM

Resurrecting an old thread as this issue has been coming up for me for the past few months. Initially, with a Pioneer Elite SC57 AVR, I could get it to go away by power-cycling the DVR. Well, I just upgraded to an Anthem AVM 50v 3D and the issue is worse. Via HDMI I can get anything but a green screen on my DVR. Upon first hooking everything up, I got the "HD Content has been compromised" message, then the green screen, but after that only the green screen. The Anthem is brand new with the latest firmware. Has anyone found a fix for this, while still using HDMI?
post #27 of 33 Old 12-15-2012, 02:50 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know I have solved this issue. It seems the DCX3400 has an issue when either more than one device is set to a single HDMI output, or it has trouble communicating with dedicated 3D video boards. Either way, I moved the HDMI input off the 3D video board and out of the 2nd HDMI out and all is well.
post #28 of 33 Old 02-07-2013, 10:16 PM

Perhaps I'm somewhat dense, but what does "I moved the HDMI input off the 3D video board and out of the 2nd HDMI out and all is well." I have the green screen problem trying to route my cable box thru an Oppo BDP-103 to a Samsung plasma TV. . .
post #29 of 33 Old 02-09-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerreed View Post

Perhaps I'm somewhat dense, but what does "I moved the HDMI input off the 3D video board and out of the 2nd HDMI out and all is well." I have the green screen problem trying to route my cable box thru an Oppo BDP-103 to a Samsung plasma TV. . .

On the AVM50v, there is a separate video board, with corresponding HDMI inputs, that is dedicated to 3D. There is also a standard video board, with it's own HDMI inputs. Originally I had the cable box connected to the 3D board's HDMI input and was getting the 'green screen' and 'content' message. What I found is that the cable box isn't capable of providing HDCP when connected to a device that is looking for a 3D signal, hence the green screen. Since moving the cable box to the input for the 2D video board, all is well.
post #30 of 33 Old 06-02-2014, 10:25 AM

Liked: 11
I had this problem last night... Came out of nowhere -- I was watching TV, when the time came to put the kid to bed. So I ask the DVR to record the rest of the movie, turn off the TV and go upstairs.

A few hours later I turn the TV on again and boom... This message. Fortunately, FiOS rep was able to "refresh" the box remotely after I complained via an online chat. Unfortunately, they aren't available 24x7... What he told me was that I could've done the same reset by disconnecting both the power and coax cables into the affected STB. I only tried the power cable myself.

One other datapoint is this -- this DVR is new: a slick black one, that replaced the old-style grey (which went bad) several weeks ago. It worked fine until I changed the video-output setting from 720p to 1080i (the highest supported) yesterday morning. It worked fine with that too for several hours, but, I'm guessing, maybe, the outputting at the higher setting may be taxing enough to increase the danger of HDCP miscommunication? Still, that's hardly a valid excuse to disable HDMI from that point on without manual intervention...

But, the point is, when you suddenly see this message after things worked fine for a while, there is nothing wrong with your equipment. There is nothing wrong with the STB's hardware either, apparently. The HDCP-implementation is just being the аsshоle it was designed to be, I fear. Contact the company and make them deal with it. When they get tired of it, they'll ask the manufacturers to relax the implementation.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page