HDTV channels on Comcast are choppy and pixelate, technician said I have a low signal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-11-2009, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased the Comcast bundle (Internet and Digital cable). I have not had a problem with my internet--but my all of my digital channels (even OnDemand) are choppy and pixelate so bad I cannot even watch the TV. When I disconnect the cable from the Comcast box and go straight from the wall to my television, the standard channels work fine. No problems. The big problem is that I have an LCD tv--I want my HD channels.!!! Which is why I purchased digital cable in the first place.

I have never had this problem before. I had Comcast in my previous apartment, with the same TV, and never had a problem. The technician that installed it in my new apartment (Digital Box: Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD) said my signal was low and that the cable wires were "old." He mentioned there was nothing he could do and that maitenance for my building needed to be contacted. Great! Now, what am I to do?

I went online and researched this problem, perhaps a signal booster may help? That seems to be the fix for some people. I just don't understand how my internet works fine but the digital channels do not.

PLEASE!, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time out to read this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-11-2009, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It really should the cable co's responsibility for a proper signal but since they won't help you'll have to do it. If the issue really is signal level, then a booster will help. You can test by connecting the TV directly to the wall and doing a scan for digital chs. You'll pick up all the clear QAM chs - some of which are in HD. If they don't pixelate the signal may not be the issue - there might be a problem with the box. Both the TV and the STB may have some diagnostic that will tell you the signal strength.

The level needed for the Internet to work may be lower than what's needed for TV - hence the reason you have no issue with it.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-11-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Based on what the Comcast tech told you maintenance for the cable in your building is apparently resposible for the redistribution of the incoming cable signal to the individual apartments and for the strength of those signals
So what did your building maintenance say when you contacted them?
post #4 of 6 Old 09-11-2009, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Based on what the Comcast tech told you maintenance for the cable in your building is apparently resposible for the redistribution of the incoming cable signal to the individual apartments and for the strength of those signals
So what did your building maintenance say when you contacted them?

I disagree. You are paying Comcast and they need to make it right.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-11-2009, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
AFAIK mass distribution cable systems such as those in apartment houses are not automatically under the same rules as individual cable connections such as those used in homes.
Cox cable insured that every connection in my home had adequate signal strength by providing at their cost an amplified splitter in my home
post #6 of 6 Old 09-11-2009, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 285
If you're a "renter"... complain to the landlord to work with the cableco to resolve. You pay for a guaranteed (advertised) level of service.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page