Can you transfer DirecTV recievers to another account? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-21-2009, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's the situation... I purchased an HD-DVR from Best Buy back in 2006 to the tune of $300. I'm moving into a new place and want to transfer that DVR (that I purchased) over to the new place. The account was under someone else at the old place, so I'm setting up a brand new account.

My roommate spoke with DirecTV a couple days ago and they said that for a $20 fee that they would transfer the receiver over to the new account. I just called DirecTV and they told me that because they switched over to a "lease only policy" in 2006, that I cannot activate that receiver on my new account I'm confused, which one is it?

I find it hard to believe that I had to purchase a receiver for $300 only to have to send it back to DirecTV?!?!?!?

So if that is the case, I was going to keep the box on the former account, and pay the $6 lease fee to my former roomate. Now the question is, with DirecTV coming to install my service today, if I just have them install a standard box in the room, will I be able to take the access card out of that box and use it in my HD-DVR. Or am I really going to have to go shell out another $200 for a new receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 264
The cards aren't interchangeable. They'll only work with the box they're first used in. As for the receiver, you're going to be stuck with whatever fee D* wants to activate it, though a lot of whining may get that dropped a bit. IIRC most of those boxes came with fine print that gave you a certain number of days to activate without incurring a fee. I held on to one for well over a year before activating it and didn't have to pay anything. Then, again, I'm a longtime subscriber.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-21-2009, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This same thing happened to me, I bought a Direct TV Tivo box off ebay for $20 and DTV said they would not send me a card and wanted $100 to lease me their own DVR instead. I said send me a card or I am going to Comcast and they sent the card. But I had to agree to a 2 year contract and pay $5 a month for a second DVR, which is what they used to charge anyway before they started calling it a lease.

You need to go to the loss prevention department, just call up and say you want to cancel, they will ask what can they do to keep you, tell them to activate your box and send a card. If you are under a contract and can't cancel you might just have to keep trying until you get a nice rep on the line that is willing to help you out.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-21-2009, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdj View Post

Here's the situation... I purchased an HD-DVR from Best Buy back in 2006 to the tune of $300. I'm moving into a new place and want to transfer that DVR (that I purchased) over to the new place. The account was under someone else at the old place, so I'm setting up a brand new account.

My roommate spoke with DirecTV a couple days ago and they said that for a $20 fee that they would transfer the receiver over to the new account. I just called DirecTV and they told me that because they switched over to a "lease only policy" in 2006, that I cannot activate that receiver on my new account I'm confused, which one is it?

I find it hard to believe that I had to purchase a receiver for $300 only to have to send it back to DirecTV?!?!?!?

So if that is the case, I was going to keep the box on the former account, and pay the $6 lease fee to my former roomate. Now the question is, with DirecTV coming to install my service today, if I just have them install a standard box in the room, will I be able to take the access card out of that box and use it in my HD-DVR. Or am I really going to have to go shell out another $200 for a new receiver?

You didn't purchase the DVR from Best Buy, you leased it. Leased DVRs are supposed to be returned to DirecTV once they are deactivated or the account is closed. That includes transferring the DVR to a different account. Because you activated the DVR on someone else's account, DirecTV shows the DVR as being leased on that account and knows nothing about you. So it looks in DirecTV's records as the box was leased by someone else (the person with the account) and now you are trying to activate it on yours, which is not allowed.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page