TV power consumption: CRT vs. LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-15-2009, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an older 19" analog CRT TV, and am planning on buying a 19" LCD TV. I am wondering if the LCD would use less power, even if only a little less.
The CRT is rated at 53 watts, the LCD advertises 55 watts.
I also used to have a big, heavy 27" CRT TV, the video became hazy, replaced it with a 26" LCD, and the power bill dropped about 8 bucks a month.
The 19" is a bedroom TV, and still has beautiful color and picture, I'm just wondering if I might cut the cost of watching a little...it burns all night for roughly 8 hours...yeah, I know..want ta save money, turn off the TV.
If it's a wash, I'll probably hold off on the LCD until this one quits...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-15-2009, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2fzq View Post

I have an older 19" analog CRT TV, and am planning on buying a 19" LCD TV. I am wondering if the LCD would use less power, even if only a little less.
The CRT is rated at 53 watts, the LCD advertises 55 watts.
I also used to have a big, heavy 27" CRT TV, the video became hazy, replaced it with a 26" LCD, and the power bill dropped about 8 bucks a month.
The 19" is a bedroom TV, and still has beautiful color and picture, I'm just wondering if I might cut the cost of watching a little...it burns all night for roughly 8 hours...yeah, I know..want ta save money, turn off the TV.
If it's a wash, I'll probably hold off on the LCD until this one quits...

FWIW, I have one of those Kill A Watt things, and just hooked my Vizio 22" up. It shows 41 watts. It drops to 26 with the backlight at minimum, 37@50%, 48@100%. I run at 70%.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-15-2009, 09:58 AM

With LCDs the amount of power consumed remains constant because typically the back light remains operating a fixed brightness level. (Some LCDs will dim the backlight in dark scenes to get darker blacks). With CRTs power draw is far more dynamic because power consumption is in proportion to screen brightness. An all white screen will consume much more power than an all dark screen. Power consumption with plasmas is also dynamic, but the manufacturers have programmed the displays to cut brightness when a certain average picture level has been reached due to the wattage limits of the power supply and panel.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-15-2009, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you are happy with the picture on your present CRT set, I wouldn't replace it; especially if you won't be feeding an HD signal to it.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-16-2009, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

If you are happy with the picture on your present CRT set, I wouldn't replace it; especially if you won't be feeding an HD signal to it.

Well, that's the other side of the coin...on my LCD, I feed SD satellite thru an s-video cable ($10 more a month HD? no, not yet) and feed the F-connector from OTA digital, quite often in HD...I could easily patch the antenna feed also to the bedroom, the sat box is already in there and a coax is in place from the BR to livingroom already also....just a matter of connecting things.
So I am torn...I think I'm reading here that an LCD will probably save some cash over CRT? and the resulting purchase will bring some HD to the BR.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-06-2009, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

If anyone is watching, I've decided to keep using the CRT TV, and I bought a digital timer to shut off power to the TV and sat box for 12 hours of a 24 hour day when the two devices are not in use, 4 hours of that 12 when I'm normally in REM sleep. We'll see if it saves any $$$.
I can't believe I'm so anal retentive with this....
post #7 of 9 Old 12-07-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2fzq View Post

If anyone is watching, I've decided to keep using the CRT TV, and I bought a digital timer to shut off power to the TV and sat box for 12 hours of a 24 hour day when the two devices are not in use, 4 hours of that 12 when I'm normally in REM sleep. We'll see if it saves any $$$.
I can't believe I'm so anal retentive with this....

Have you considered a LED backlit monitor? Most of them is rated 16-25 watt for 24inches, I assume a 19 incher would be even less
post #8 of 9 Old 12-15-2009, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells View Post

Have you considered a LED backlit monitor? Most of them is rated 16-25 watt for 24inches, I assume a 19 incher would be even less

Yeah, I did, but as mentioned this little CRT TV is still looking pretty good, so the timer is the answer to my greed, with no new costs for a new HDTV. It will cut power consumption in half as to what it used to be, with ALL power shut down for both devices, for 12 hours a day....the setup is working as I expected...again, the power bill will show if it's all worth it, or just my retention, with little or no change in the bill.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-21-2010, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page