HD Ready TV does not with with cable box through component cables - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-29-2009, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll try to keep this as short and concise as possible.

I recently bought a used RCA 52 Inch rear projection 4:3 HDTV off of craigslist for a pretty cheap price. I don't have the model number right now as I am away, but the tv is approximately 6 years old. From what I remember, the tv has 1080i but does not have 1080p or 720p. I have comcast, and got an hd box to use with the tv. The only hd source that the tv accepts is through component cables. When I first plugged it in through the composite cables, the picture was scrambled/jumbled and completely unwatchable. Now, the screen is completely black. However, when using the same component cables connected to an older dvd player, the dvd plays with no problems at all. I had another hd box being used with a seperate tv, so I switched them out to see if I had a bad box and still had the same problems. Right now I have the hd box connected to the tv through composite cables, but obviously am not watching it in hd.

Is there a setting on the cable box that needs to be adjusted to allow to the tv to accept the signal through the component cables? if so, how would this be done?

If nothing can be done to get the tv to work with component, is it even worthwhile to continue using the hd box if I only have composite cables connected to it? The hd channels do not appear to be any better than non-hd channels, and they do not even come in in the 16:9 format, they fill the screen (not sure if the image is cropped).

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-29-2009, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
You CANNOT get HD through a composite cable or S-video. Period. It is limited to 480.

For HD, you have to use component or HDMI/DVI cables.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #3 of 5 Old 11-29-2009, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I'm assuming you have a typo where you say you connected your first HD tuner using composite, and you meant component? (You later say that you can watch via composite, but this isn't HD)

Don't most DVD players output 480p/480i only over component (not 1080i, 720p or 1080p - for licensing reasons they have to use HDCP over HDMI/DVI for HD upconversion?) It could well be that your TV is happy with the 480i or 480p output, in other words SD component, from your DVD player.

If so it sounds as if the component output from your HD tuners is in a format your TV doesn't accept. Either the component output is 720p (don't think most boxes output 1080p) and your TV isn't happy with that, or it is 1080i and you've been told your TV accepts 1080i when it doesn't?

It could also be in pass-through I guess (where ABC and Fox are output in 720p - as that is their native broadcast format in most areas, and NBC, CBS and PBS are output in 1080i as that is their native format in most areas)

If there are any options you can see via the composite output to fix the HD tuner box output at 1080i in the set-up menus on your HD tuner (usually in the TV set-up or Output set-up areas) then that might be worth a look. Alternatively if there is an option for 480i or 480p component output then you will still benefit from the component quality (noticably better colour resolution and much higher bandwith luminance) over composite - if indeed your TV has been mis-sold and isn't 1080i compatible. (Or is faulty)
post #4 of 5 Old 11-29-2009, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My guess is you don't have the cable box set to pass 1080i only over component and you're passing a resolution the TV can't accept.. what's the model number on the TV and the make and model of the cable box?

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-29-2009, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankplayer87 View Post

Is there a setting on the cable box that needs to be adjusted to allow to the tv to accept the signal through the component cables? if so, how would this be done?

What is the brand and model of the cable box?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page