Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Portland, OR. USA.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had this set (34WHD5) for 2 months now and I have mixed feelings about it. I am connecting it to my HTPC via RGB and Dish 6000 (for HD) via Component. These are the only two inputs that I use.
If you do decide to buy this set, go to discounts-n-deals.com , they gave me excellent service (and even paid for the extra help needed when the trucking company was having a fit about moving this 200lb TV from curb upstairs to my apt).
First the negatives :
There are some serious issues with the tube.
1. Convergence on both sides is way off. When in 1280x720 mode (through HTPC), I find it difficult to read the text on left and right side. The text seems out of focus. This phenomenon is more present on the right side than on the left (supposedely done so
by Sampo so as to make those who use it as Computer monitor happy ?!?). It is very evident even on 1080i or 720p HDTV through component.
2. The sides (both left and right) are significantly brighter than the center. It is almost impossible to get uniform black.
3. Geometry problems. The most annoying thing that I find with picture tube is that on each side there is 1 inch vertical bar where everything seems compressed. So, in the scenes where a camera is moving slowly and scanning the surrounding, one can see things going (or coming) at the edges which gets compressed.
4. The whites have an afterglow. For example, if there is a dark room, and a well lit face which is moving around in the room, one can easily see a afterglow left behind the path of the face (e.g. in the opening scene of Godfather where brandon is visiting the favor-askers). I have noticed that this has reduced since I got
the TV - my guess is that it is due to burn-in. However, it still
Now, the positives.
1. Colors are really good. When I see only the center of the pic (and ignore the side problems) - it seems very lifelike.
2. supports both 1080i and 720p - has RGB connection. Flat screen.
3. In spite of all of the above, I really enjoyed watching the winter olympics and various DVD movies/HBOHD/SHOWHD on it.
Overall, I would suggest wait until 34WHD6 comes out. From the rumors I have heard, it won't have the Toshiba tube (which causes a lot of problems) - it is gonna have a panasonic tube.