Receiving XETV-DT with Televes Pro Range 1046 150 miles away - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-24-2002, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks to everyone who replied to my last post and pointed me in the direction of this great antenna! I plan to use the Televes Pro Range 1046 to pick up San Diego's FOX affil, XETV-DT, 150 miles away from my location, in the valley area of the Los Angeles county, Southern California. Please see my earlier post, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=119836 , talking about where I am located and this thread that explains why I want to go through all this trouble.

I have a question to the owners of the Televes 1046, does the antenna come with a standard 'F' type connector or does it use a European one and an adapter is required? My main concern, however, is where to purchase this antenna. I found a good looking place in the UK that would ship to the US, http://www.jwhardy.co.uk/pages/pl_ant_ter.html
They sell the Televes 1046 for $63 plus shipping, a good deal in my opinion. Has anyone dealt with them before, and if so, are they safe and what was the approximate delivery time? They don't seem to have any kind of online credit card processing, so what means of payment did you use?

Thanx to everyone in advance, I just hope I can pull my little OTA HDTV-DX experiment off :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-24-2002, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

I purchase a Televes Pro 1046 about six months ago. Although it is made in Spain, I purchased from the UK. I placed my order by telephone using my credit card. The antenna arrived in about three or four days and I did not have to pay import duty.

Here is how I ordered it:

When I call the UK (or anywhere else in the US), I prefix my call with 1016868.

So for the Televes distributor in the UK you dial:

1016868 011 44 1772 654 455

The price for the UK, or anywhere in the US, is 7.9c/minute with a 30 second minimum charge. The charge appears on your regular phone bill. The 1016868 prefix bypasses your phone company which often has outrageous charges for int. calls unless you are on some plan for which you are paying a minimum monthly fee. For a run down on alternatives to your phone company look at this link:
http://www.tcp.com/~lgreenf/long.htm

The only difference between UK and US antennas is that in the UK they generally use the PAL connector instead of the F-connector used in the US. Sometimes they have no connector and you have to hardwire the coax to terminals on the antenna balun. If there is a PAL connector, Radio Shack sells a PAL to F adapter for a few bucks, but I don't know how weatherproof this adapter is.

If you are interested, I'll sell you my Televes 1046; it's in its original shipping box.

Glenn L tested this antenna for me and found that the Blake JBX21WB was a little better. My plan ios to use two JBX21WB's stacked horizontally as described at Glenn's website:

http://atechfabrication.freeservers....f_contents.htm

Based on my past experience and Glenn's experience, I don't expect to receive S. Diego more than about 75% of the time.

Good luck
post #3 of 12 Old 02-24-2002, 10:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

From Granada Hills, I'm guessing that the signal travels over the water right along the coastline. An 'easy shot' as we say in ham radio.
-Bill
post #4 of 12 Old 02-24-2002, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

kf6bbl, so are you saying it's very well possible for me to receive xetv from granada hills? In your opinion, would a "high-end" antenna like the Televes 1046 matter or could the same be accomplished with a cheap RadioShack one?

cymro, I take it you're selling your Televes because of your plan to experiment with the Blakes. Can you please pm me how much youa you're offering it and how we can arrange the purchase. Also, does it have a PAL connector or a standard 'F' type?

Thanks to everyone for replying!
post #5 of 12 Old 02-24-2002, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

The 1046 does not have a connector (F or PAL).

To attach the coax downlead to the 1046 you have to strip the insulation from the coax for about half an inch to an inch, thereby exposing the braided shield. Then you strip the insulation around the center core. Finally, you use a screw terminal on the 1046 balun to which you attach the center core wire, and you use a clamp on the 1046 balun to clamp the braid. Much easier than it sounds.

You can have it for $80.00 if you pick it up - I'm only 15 miles away from you. The box is 6 feet by 2 feet by 1 foot.

I also have a Blake DY28A for sale which Glenn's tests showed to be the champion for DX'ing below Channel 30.

If you are interested, PM me.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-24-2002, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cymro

The only difference between UK and US antennas is that in the UK they generally use the PAL connector instead of the F-connector used in the US. Sometimes they have no connector and you have to hardwire the coax to terminals on the antenna balun. If there is a PAL connector, Radio Shack sells a PAL to F adapter for a few bucks, but I don't know how weatherproof this adapter is.
Antennas in the UK are a little different, they don't use VHF that I'm aware of.

They also have antennas that are vertical polarity, whereas I think the US has only Horizontal.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-24-2002, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

JamesMH

You are right about UK antennas being for UHF only.

However, the antennas from UK and Europe can be used for either vertically or horizontally polarized transmissions.

Also, the UK antennas are frequently "cut" to cover a narrow range of channels (groups A, B, etc.). For the US UHF band you need the WB (for wideband) versions. The WB versions cover a range somewhat greater than the US UHF band.

Finally, in UK and Europe, each channel occupies 8 MHz compared with 6 MHz in the US, so you cannot directly compare UK/European channel numbers with US channel numbers.

UK ch 21 = US ch 14
UK ch 62 = US ch 69
post #8 of 12 Old 02-24-2002, 06:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by dexor
kf6bbl, so are you saying it's very well possible for me to receive xetv from granada hills? In your opinion, would a "high-end" antenna like the Televes 1046 matter or could the same be accomplished with a cheap RadioShack one?
If you were to fly directly from your location to XETV in Tijuana, you would travel at about 130 deg magnetic. It looks like there may be some local peaks around Beverly Hills near your path ranging from 1000' to 1800' above the terrain, but I suspect you sneak between them. I could nail it down further, but I would need GPS coordinates. :)
After that, you are out over the LA basin, which is fairly featureless in terms of terrain. At about Newport Beach, you cross out over the water. You will remain over the water until about Mission Bay in San Diego. Still nothing in your way over 500'.
Finally you arrive in Mexico high atop a 750' tower that sits upon a 1300' Mount San Antonio, and you are looking into the business end of a 200KW transitter, presumably all directed north. Mount San Antonio is only a couple miles south of the border, and a couple miles in from the coast.
To me, it's no big suprise. You might also be able to get DTV channel 25 ABC, and possibly 55 CBS, which are on Mt. Soldad, all on the same heading, but they are alot less power and are omnidirectional.
As far as antennas go, I can't find any information about what the frequency range is for Radio Shack antennas, but I do know that the UHF yagi for $19.99 drops off at the high channels. In case you find frequency info for the other antennas you are looking at, here is some data:
XETV channel 23 524-530MHz
KGTV channel 25 536-542MHz
KFMB channel 55 716-722MHz

-Bill
post #9 of 12 Old 02-24-2002, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

kf6bbl, thank you for replying in such detail! You given me the hope I have recently begun to lose. What antenna do you reccomend yourself? I have been thinking about buying the Televes 1046, as I mentioned earlier but would liek to knwo your suggestion first. Many thanks!

cymro, thanks for your detailed reply as well! I will think abou purchasing the Televes from you :) On the other hand, how mucha re you offering the Blake DY28A for? Are these both antennas you've tried and found them unacceptable or do you simply resell them in the United States? Thanks for your help!
post #10 of 12 Old 02-25-2002, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

dexor:

No, I'm not in the business of re-selling antennas.

I have bought three different antennas from the UK having had no luck with Channel Master or Winegard or RS.

I bought the JBX21WB and Televes 1046 direct from the UK, and I bought the DY28A used from another member of the forum.

It is very difficult for me to do extensive testing at my location so I enlisted the help of Glenn - who has very similar multipath to myself - to do a lot of testing on these antennas.

In the end, after seeing the results of Glenn's tests, I intend to install two stacked JBX21WB's with Mt. Wilson stations as my primary objective. I have picked up S. Diego from my location using one JBX21WB, but it is not available 100% of the time. However, when S. Diego does come in, the signal quality readings are much better than the Mt. Wilson stations.

I paid $100.00 for the DY28A and I'm willing to sell it for $100.00 with buyer to pick it up.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-25-2002, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

cymro, did you pay $100 with or without shipping? Also, when you ordered the 1046 from UK, how much was the shipping, since the box is extremely long.

I have found a dealer for the 1046, a company called JW Hardy Communications, and they have a vast amount of Televes antennas @ http://www.jwhardy.co.uk/pages/pl_ant_ter.html
I initially planned on buying my Televes from them, but so far, I have gotten no reply to my email I sent to them and no one picked up the phone (no voice mail/answering machine either, strange...)when I called. If I don't hear from them in the next couple of days, I will definitely buy the Televes from you!

On another note, something amazing happened today!! I was able to pick up XETV-DT with my old 70's UHF/VHF antenna I currently use for LA's DTV stations (which pick up great). In fact, the signal strength for XETV was in the 85-90% range!! However, this "quick wonder" was over in as little as 20 minutes (I tuned in xetv at ~4:30PM PST), and now the reception is mostly nothing, displaying a garbled image here and there (note that I could never even get as much as a garbled picture before)... This "experience" gave me new hope and now I am for sure purchasing the Televes 1046 antenna hoping it will do wonders for my reception! :)
post #12 of 12 Old 02-26-2002, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

dexor,

I don't recall how much the air freight charge was on the Televes. It arrived in perfect condition, well packaged.

I paid $100.00 inclusive of shipping fopr the DY28A. It arrived poorly packaged; I would not consider being responsible for shipping this unit again.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page