PrimeDTV PHD-8VX - New ATSC tuner, upconverter, HDMI switcher, and more. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 135 Old 09-02-2010, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been using the PHD-8VX for a few weeks now. So far i am very happy with it. The picture quality is great. I did have an issue using the music feature on it, but after talking to Allen at support (very helpful) he mentioned that i needed to use a FAT32 flash drive instead of a FAT, it worked fine after that.

I also had an issue with the remote and talked to Allen, he had mentioned it was the internal components having to do multiple tasks. I do find it just a tad slow, but not bad. I bought a Sony universal remote with the learning feature and programmed the PHD remote into the Sony and it worked fine, just took some time to do it. It has a great range and seems to be a little quicker.

I have a samsung tv, dvd, and a/v receiver hooked up to the 8VX and all works great. I also tried the flash drive with the music feature and it works very well.

I am still playing around with the settings, but so far i am very pleased with the box and also very pleased with tech support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 135 Old 09-04-2010, 07:47 AM

I got Comcast basic cable for my TV. I connected my RF cable directly to my TV (no cable box) and all my signal is 480i.
If I buy this box and run my signal through it. It will converted my 480i signal to 1080P ? Please tell me this is true. Thanks. for any info you guys can give me.
post #33 of 135 Old 09-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

This is the exact reason I bought one - to distribute the Padres on Channel 4 on my Cox Basic cable over my HDMI matrix switch. The first PHD-8VX unit I received had a herringbone pattern on Channel 4 Analog, but Allen has swapped the unit for me and I've got my fingers crossed. Other analog channels other than 4 looked good but obviously not 1080p quality. I just received the new unit yesterday and will try to test this weekend and get back to you.

The specs on this unit are amazing. I also hope to distribute HDMI (with audio added in) from my computer over the PHD-8VX. I've got an RF wireless keyboard so I'm looking forward to being able to compute from multiple TV's. Anyone try this with the PHD-8VX?
post #34 of 135 Old 09-04-2010, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Interesting product aswell as the price, is very appealing compared to the dvdo edge. Can anyone let us know how much your STD and HD definition cable/satellite video improved? I'm interested in the video upscaling part of it.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #35 of 135 Old 09-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

I just connected my repaired unit and they completely eliminated the herringbone pattern on analog channel 4 - probably a tuner grounding issue of some sort. I'm watching a 480i infomercial on Cox Channel 4 upscaled to 1080p on my Samsung UN46B8500 and I'm pleased as can be. It can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse but gee I'm a happy camper. Highly recommended. I haven't even begun to play with all the features this unit has.

Now if Cox would just put their HD Padres channel in clear QAM, I'd be even happier - but the Padres will probably allow DirecTV to carry as soon as the exclusive Cox contract is over in 2012.
post #36 of 135 Old 09-06-2010, 07:23 AM

I got my PHD-VX a week ago. Relatively pleased. However, I cannot get the unit to pass the Digital Audio Stream from my DVD through HDMI to the Tuner through optical cable to my Receiver.

So:

DVD --> HDMI --> PHD-8VX --> Optical --> Receiver

The receiver reports the signal as PCM and has only two channels.

The PHD-8VX is successfully sending the Tuner Digital Audio over the Optical Cable to the receiver. (I get Dolby 5.1 from TV Broadcasts) (PHD-8VX is set to ACM3)

When I hook the DVD player to the Receiver via Optical, I get full digital quality (6.1 surround).

Any suggestions?

Is anyone else successful in getting full digital pass through using HDMI to the PHD-8VX from a DVD player?
post #37 of 135 Old 09-06-2010, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddborkpe View Post

I got my PHD-VX a week ago. Relatively pleased. However, I cannot get the unit to pass the Digital Audio Stream from my DVD through HDMI to the Tuner through optical cable to my Receiver.

So:

DVD --> HDMI --> PHD-8VX --> Optical --> Receiver

The receiver reports the signal as PCM and has only two channels.

The PHD-8VX is successfully sending the Tuner Digital Audio over the Optical Cable to the receiver. (I get Dolby 5.1 from TV Broadcasts) (PHD-8VX is set to ACM3)

When I hook the DVD player to the Receiver via Optical, I get full digital quality (6.1 surround).

Any suggestions?

Is anyone else successful in getting full digital pass through using HDMI to the PHD-8VX from a DVD player?

It's not unusual a unit wouldn't do that. I'd call and ask, but don't get your hopes up.

Try using optical from the DVD to the 8VX, if it takes it. That should work and the audio is identical for a standard player DVD. If the 8VX won't take optical, you'll have to be satisfied with optical direct from the DVD to the receiver.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #38 of 135 Old 09-06-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

It's not unusual a unit wouldn't do that. I'd call and ask, but don't get your hopes up.

Try using optical from the DVD to the 8VX, if it takes it. That should work and the audio is identical for a standard player DVD. If the 8VX won't take optical, you'll have to be satisfied with optical direct from the DVD to the receiver.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have a optical audio in.

I'll call and see. My hope was that my wife would only have to deal with one remote....now it looks like it won't be that good.

ALSO, beware, I just bought that Vizio Blue Ray Player to replace a DVD player, and there are remote buttons on the BR DVD player that change things on the 8VX....(use same remote frequencies evidently). Which stinks, because I got a good deal on the Vizio.

(I may end up sending the 8VX back and getting a straight tuner...not sure....will depend on answers I get from ePVision.)
post #39 of 135 Old 09-10-2010, 02:20 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Has anyone actually verified the clear QAM capability of this unit? I downloaded the manual, and the following quote from the manual makes it clear that at least the author of the manual does not understand the difference between clear QAM and 8VSB:

Quote:

The PHD-8VX Digital HDTV Tuner function
can receive cable DTV signal in the event
that a local cable provider is passing 8VSB
through their system. This 8VSB signal can
not be encrypted by Cable Company. And
we call it Clear QAM signal from cable.

I'd also like to know if anyone has tried connecting both cable and antenna to one of these with a switch. Does one have to rescan channels every time one switches between cable and antenna? How much of a hassle is it to switch sources?
post #40 of 135 Old 09-10-2010, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
By aspect ratio control, does this mean it can do vertical stretch for CIH setups?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #41 of 135 Old 09-12-2010, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Will the PHD-8VX pass DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD either in Bit Stream or PCM Through HDMI ?

Thanks
post #42 of 135 Old 09-17-2010, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Bump - I emailed epvision over a week ago and they never responded.
Any body have a contact for technical?
post #43 of 135 Old 01-22-2011, 01:41 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP View Post

Has anyone actually verified the clear QAM capability of this unit? I downloaded the manual, and the following quote from the manual makes it clear that at least the author of the manual does not understand the difference between clear QAM and 8VSB:
Quote:

The PHD-8VX Digital HDTV Tuner function
can receive cable DTV signal in the event
that a local cable provider is passing 8VSB
through their system. This 8VSB signal can
not be encrypted by Cable Company. And
we call it Clear QAM signal from cable.

I'd also like to know if anyone has tried connecting both cable and antenna to one of these with a switch. Does one have to rescan channels every time one switches between cable and antenna? How much of a hassle is it to switch sources?

At least one part of this question has been answered: They do have separate memories for cable and OTA.
Also changing between antenna and cable looks to be inconvenient as is it buried in the menus. Not as easy as switching inputs.

One new unanswered question: Version of HDMI supported? Will it handle the new 3D TVs? for example can a PS3 be connected to a 3D TV through this device and still display 3D?
edit: I e-mailed them, and they said they currently only support HDMI 1.3, so no 3D TV. They are working on a product that supports 1.4
post #44 of 135 Old 04-10-2011, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am glad I found this thread, as I am shopping for a HDTV tuner. Is everybody still liking theirs? They also sell this unit:

http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phd205LEmain.htm

Should I spend more for the PHD-8VX? Or is the PHD205LE just as good? Thanks.
post #45 of 135 Old 04-10-2011, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 92
The newer PHD-8VX should have a more sensitive tuner and the video quality/scaler is supposedly better. E-mail them for a discount coupon code if ready to order.
post #46 of 135 Old 04-11-2011, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Anyone make use of the custom video scaling to combat overscan? If so, how does the picture look? Is it as sharp as it is when it isn't scaled?

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #47 of 135 Old 04-12-2011, 01:42 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

Anyone make use of the custom video scaling to combat overscan? If so, how does the picture look? Is it as sharp as it is when it isn't scaled?

A scaled image is always softer (blurrier) than an unscaled image.

The correct solution to overscan is to turn it off in the display, and if you can't do that, replace the display with one that does not overscan the image.

What model display are you using? Perhaps someone here can tell you how to turn off overscan on your display.
post #48 of 135 Old 04-12-2011, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The correct solution to overscan is to turn it off in the display, and if you can't do that, replace the display with one that does not overscan the image.

What model display are you using? Perhaps someone here can tell you how to turn off overscan on your display.

I guess I knew it wouldn't be as sharp, and agree it's always softer. I guess I was asking more along the lines if it introduced any weird artifacts or anything by using it. I know I should disable overscan in the dispaly if possible. I have an older Philips 30PW850H CRT (with no HDMI or DVI, but I'll be solving that shortly) that has about 8% horizontal overscan in 1080i mode that it impossible to remove. I could go into details, but it's a bit complicated, but I did manage to disable svm on the thing http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post20279392

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #49 of 135 Old 04-13-2011, 01:09 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I was asking more along the lines if it introduced any weird artifacts or anything by using it.

Yes it can introduce weird artifacts. Especially when there are high spatial frequency parts of the image. See this: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...%C3%A9_pattern
Quote:

I have an older Philips 30PW850H CRT

If you had a computer CRT monitor being driven by a computer video card, you could have scaled the image to fit the monitor. With that CRT HDTV you are stuck.
post #50 of 135 Old 04-13-2011, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes it can introduce weird artifacts. Especially when there are high spatial frequency parts of the image. See this: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...%C3%A9_pattern

If you had a computer CRT monitor being driven by a computer video card, you could have scaled the image to fit the monitor. With that CRT HDTV you are stuck.

Have you used the scaling feature on the 8VX and observed the moire pattern, or are were you saying in a general sense, scaling can cause moire?

I won't be stuck if the scaling on the 8VX works well, hence, why I was asking about it.

post #51 of 135 Old 04-14-2011, 12:34 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you used the scaling feature on the 8VX and observed the moire pattern, or are were you saying in a general sense, scaling can cause moire?

I won't be stuck if the scaling on the 8VX works well, hence, why I was asking about it.

I do not have the 8VX so I can't say anything about it in particular. My comments were about scaling in general.
post #52 of 135 Old 04-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Actually, that's untrue. Scaling does *not* always make the image softer. It really depends on exactly what's done. You're probably assuming upscaling (and thinking in terms of pixel-level sharpness).

The kind of scaling being asked about (to combat display overscan) would fit into the category of (down)scaling that *might* not yield a softer image (though it'll probably be less detailed to some degree). And yeah, even if the downscaled image isn't softer, the processing may yield other noticeable artifacts.

So yeah, best to not do any scaling, if possible.

I don't have the PHD-8VX (yet?) either, but am looking into it after seeing that the Channel Master 7001 is just a rebranded Centronics ZAT502.

_Man_
post #53 of 135 Old 05-06-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

The TViX M6620N is a true stand alone DVR with two ATSC/QAM tuners (no PC needed). There are limitations, for example, you can not watch a recorded program while recording a different program. You can record a program while watching a different program from the other tuner.

The unit is also a media player, click here for more info and manuals.

With current firmware, you can record one with watching a second, record two shows while watching a recorded show, or stream video files (DVD, TS, or Blu-Ray) while recording two channels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #54 of 135 Old 11-16-2011, 03:04 PM

After spending a couple weeks with the PHD-8VX, my conclusion is that it is an excellent tuner, but not useful as a switching device. Since it can accept at most only 2 channels of audio thru an hdmi input, it would be foolish to connect a blueray player or any other > 2 channel audio source to it. The br player will downmix to 2 channels and leave you with mush.

To get the 5.1 audio channels from the tuner section, you need to use the optical output. Only 2 channels are sent thru the hdmi output.
post #55 of 135 Old 12-19-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludovids View Post

After spending a couple weeks with the PHD-8VX, my conclusion is that it is an excellent tuner, but not useful as a switching device. Since it can accept at most only 2 channels of audio thru an hdmi input, it would be foolish to connect a blueray player or any other > 2 channel audio source to it. The br player will downmix to 2 channels and leave you with mush.

To get the 5.1 audio channels from the tuner section, you need to use the optical output. Only 2 channels are sent thru the hdmi output.

For some reason, I am only getting two channels of data and not 5.1/7/1. I have my BluRay attached to the 8VX via HDMI, then, the 8VX is attached to the reciever via HDMI (for video) and I have the optical output from 8VX attached to the receiver for audio. Does not matter how I configure the 8VX or the Denon receiver, I always get 2 channels. Setting receiver and/or 8VX to PCM/DTS/AC3 has no effect. I have spend 10+ hours trying to get more than 2 channels, and no go.

How did you get more than 2 channels of sound by using the 8VX?
Thanks,
HH
post #56 of 135 Old 01-23-2012, 09:25 PM

I received my PHd-8VX and I'm having problems with diagonal lines on all the channels as well as a grainy picture. I'm using it as a cable box on a 32in samsung 720p lcd tv. Any ideas? or did I just receive a bad unit ?
Thanks

There is no replacement for displacement
post #57 of 135 Old 02-08-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if the 8VX has discrete IR codes for the inputs? I'm considering one, but want it to work well with my harmony.

Edit: also, does anyone know what the "Game Mode" does? And how would this compare to something like the DVDO Edge? It seems that they are basically the same, with this having a tuner and a much lower price, and an ATI chip vs ABT VRS chip.

post #58 of 135 Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Just ordered one. With the recent price drop to $187 and the $15 off coupon and shipping, total came to $190. It'll be interesting to see how well this will work for me. It'll be used with my Philips HD CRT and my home-made HDMI-Component converter http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1322574

post #59 of 135 Old 02-17-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I amended my OP to reflect the price change. Also, this will be the basis of their new DVR which, hopefully will be available by March. The switching and conversion features are suppose to be included within the same cabinet. No internal HDD unfortunately and no ability to record analog CATV channels even tough you will be able to view them.

I only mention this for anyone thinking about getting one. If most/many of the same processing functions/features are in this DVR, it might be wiser to spend a little more and get that instead of this.

Just a idea.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #60 of 135 Old 02-17-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I amended my OP to reflect the price change. Also, this will be the basis of their new DVR which, hopefully will be available by March. The switching and conversion features are suppose to be included within the same cabinet. No internal HDD unfortunately and no ability to record analog CATV channels even tough you will be able to view them.

I only mention this for anyone thinking about getting one. If most/many of the same processing functions/features are in this DVR, it might be wiser to spend a little more and get that instead of this.

Just a idea.

True, but I talked to Allen and he said the PVR would only have one hdmi input. But this has 3 hdmi, component, s-video, composite and vga. I don't need the DVR as I'll always have some form of pay tv (unless I lose my job or Indycar and F1 would be all on broadcast tv or streaming).

I really need it for overscan, and I have a gut feeling that the scale window option only works on the 'custom aspect'. So the problem then is I adjust for overscan with the custom, then go to watch a 4:3 show, and end up with it shifted and overscanned. If it is, I'll call and talk to Allen to see if they can change the scale window to set the window that all other aspect ratio settings work within.

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page