PrimeDTV PHD-8VX - New ATSC tuner, upconverter, HDMI switcher, and more. - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 135 Old 12-30-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Same problem with their DVR. How about the optical out using a HDMI in? Is that 5.1?

Even if it did work (haven't tried it), it would have to re-encode uncompressed PCM to Dolby Digital or DTS. If it did work, I'd bet it' use 640kbps DD, instead of the superior 1.5mbps DTS.

Edit: I'll give it a try later on today.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 135 Old 12-31-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

The only way to get anything other than 2 channel PCM out the optical port, is by using the internal tuner. This ATI chip is certainly designed for use in a TV as it has all the same limitations as most TVs.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #123 of 135 Old 01-01-2013, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Then their DVR has the same problem/limitation as this does.
They are different chips aren't they?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #124 of 135 Old 01-01-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then their DVR has the same problem/limitation as this does.
They are different chips aren't they?

I don't know. I just know Allen kept referring to the chip as an ATI. I tried to find out exactly, but the heatsink was glued on to the chip.

The 8VX is basically an LCD TV without the LCD panel. Clear as day now that I know that. I also wonder if there is a service menu for this.

post #125 of 135 Old 01-12-2013, 12:00 PM

Liked: 10
Why isn't PHD-8VX System Information "firmware build version" matching either of the two firmware versions available?

I want to update my PHD-8VX firmware. The epvision website states the following:

Download Instructions (release date: 07/08/2011)
firmware (version 8VX.54.15.07) -

Download Instructions (release date: 03/07/2011)
firmware (version 8VX.43.13.23) -

After looking up the PHD-8VX firmware build version in system info I discovered that on my PHD-8VX the firmware version is 8VX.54.27.06

I called epvision. The tech explained that my version 8VX.54.27.06 is the equivalent to the first firmware update version 8VX.43.13.23
He explained that epvision uses a different date format to display the version number on the PHD-8VX system info "firmware build version" that comes with the firmware update.

I don't trust this because I don't know for sure which firmware version I have without going through the actual firmware update process. You might say why don't you believe the epvision tech. I would feel better if another PHD-8VX owner told me that they confirmed what their PHD-8VX system info "firmware build version" is displaying.

Please, can PHD-8VX owners look up the firmware version info and let me know what version they have? Under Setup you will find at the very bottom the System Information selection. Then, you need to scroll down on the right side to see the "firmware build version"

Thank you in advance.

Intuition
post #126 of 135 Old 01-12-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The tech explained that my version 8VX.54.27.06 is the equivalent to the first firmware update version 8VX.43.13.23
He explained that epvision uses a different date format to display the version number on the PHD-8VX system info "firmware build version" that comes with the firmware update.
To no surprise, none of that makes any real sense.
How old is this unit, when did you get it? That last version is 1 1/2 years old. I assume you haven't had it that long.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #127 of 135 Old 01-12-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought mine in Feb '12 and came with 8VX.54.15.07

post #128 of 135 Old 01-12-2013, 12:49 PM

videobruce, oryan_dunn,

Thanks for your replies.

I bought the PHD-8VX on 11/2011 from a prior owner on ebay. I don't know the units previous history other than it came in excellent condition (the factory plastic was still attached to the surfaces of the unit.)

Lately, the PHD-8VX gets stuck sometimes on the boot led display when I use the timer function. This occurance is random. I come home wanting to see the TV program I recorded through my connected DVR. I only see a black recorded screen. That is why I thought I would see if the latest PHD-8VX update would fix this. The firmware version 8VX.54.15.07 notes mention a fix to the boot startup being improved. However, my firmware version 8VX.54.27.06 seems to be past that version. So I am confused with the epvision techs explaination that my version 8VX.54.27.06 is the equivalent to the first firmware update version 8VX.43.13.23 . I would think that my version is later than the 8VX.54.15.07. I am afraid to try the 8VX.54.15.07 firmware update because I couldn't go back to the version I now have if I would need to.

Intuition
post #129 of 135 Old 01-13-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

D/L both of those files and unpack them into separate folders. Look at the dates for the files and see if they jive with what is posted.
Post back with the findings.

Which DVR?

post #130 of 135 Old 01-13-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:

D/L both of those files and unpack them into separate folders. Look at the dates for the files and see if they jive with what is posted.
Post back with the findings.

Which DVR?

8VX.43.13.23 - release date: 03/07/2011 file date: 02/21/2011
8VX.54.15.07 - release date: 07/08/2011 file date: 07/11/2011

DVR is Panasonic DMR-EH75VS
post #131 of 135 Old 01-14-2013, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

What shows in the menu?

post #132 of 135 Old 01-14-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:

What shows in the menu?

I took the photo below showing the PHD-8VX firmware build version 8VX.54.27.06:

post #133 of 135 Old 01-14-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

No surprise that it doesn't make sense.
They changed the versions numbers before their DVR was available last year also. I would only assume it is the latest.

post #134 of 135 Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:

No surprise that it doesn't make sense.
They changed the versions numbers before their DVR was available last year also. I would only assume it is the latest.

I wish they wouldn't do that. Too confusing. Oh well, I will stick to what I have.

I have a work around that seems to work to bypass the random boot up problem. On a PHD-8VX timer set recording day, I leave the PHD-8VX powered on. The timer that I have set switches to the TV channel that I want to record from the DVR. I haven''t viewed a blank screen recording since leaving the PHD-8VX powered on. I don't like to do this since it drains more AC current and shortens the life of the unit. However, this is the only solution that I can think of for now.

Thanks for your help.
post #135 of 135 Old 01-15-2013, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You could flash with the later firmware from their site on the chance it actually is different. Also, there is the slight possibility that the firmware loaded in your could be corrupted. wink.gif

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page