New to the forum, been trying to figure out what I need to build a home theater. Most people I ask get confused when I tell them I don't have cable or satellite, I'll be relying on OTA broadcast, Roku box, VCR/DVD/Bluray.
Just got a Epson 8100, and installed 7.1 speakers. Need to buy a receiver, a Bluray, and I think a PHD-8VX.
I want to use the projector for football games and movies, and let the kids continue to use the 36" analog-tuner CRT TV for regular TV viewing. So I had a ton of questions for the PHD-8VX people, which they were good about answering via email, and I post their answers below. Hopefully these will help someone out there.
I still have a question about 7.1 surround sound... if I plug the HDMI out from the PHD-8VX into a 7.1 receiver, then plug the HDMI out from the receiver into the projector, that works, right? The PHD-8VX guy seemed to be trying to talk me into going straight from the PHD-8VX into the projector, but then I'd have to use the digital optical cable from the PHD-8VX into the 7.1 receiver, and I think digital optical only does 5.1, not 7.1. Anyone know the answer to that one? Thanks in advance.
The guy also said he would send me a $25 coupon next week. Is this thing actively being sold yet? Maybe next week?
PHD-8VX guy's responses to my questions are in [brackets]:
I've got (or will soon have):
1) Epson 8100 HD projector [Excellent choice]
2) 36" CRT TV, not HD, and doesn't have a digital tuner, just the old analog type -- I currently have a digital-to-analog converter box attached [no problem with PHD-8VX CVBS output (Composite video output@480i) ]
3) Bluray player (haven't bought this yet) [Choose high-end one, which can support 24p @1080p. PHD-8VX can handle very well.]
4) Old VCR/DVD combo player [No problem. You can connect to CVBS or s-video inputs of PHD-8VX.]
5) HD Roku box (to watch Netflix, etc.) [Either HDMI in or Component (Y-Pb-Pr
6) 7.l surround sound receiver (haven't bought this yet) [PHD-8VX has optical digital audio output for external surround sound, or use internal "virtual surround sound" effect to simulate the surround audio.]
- I don't have cable TV or satellite or anything like that. Just over-the-air broadcast TV.
- I'd like to use the projector only for movies and football games, and have the kids use the 36" CRT TV for day-to-day viewing. They don't need the surround sound for day-to-day viewing either.
I'd like to hook things up like this:
a) go from the TV antenna into the PHD-8VX via coaxial cable [Correct.]
b) go from the Bluray into the PHD-8VX via HDMI cable [Correct.]
c) go from the Roku box into the PHD-8VX via HDMI cable [Correct.]
d) go from the VCR/DVD into the PHD-8VX via red-yellow-white RCA cables [Correct.]
e) go from the PHD-8VX into the 36" CRT TV via component cables, or red-yellow-white RCA cables [PHD-8VX doesn't have component output. PHD-8VX has both HDMI output for high-end and composite video out for low-end.]
f) go from the PHD-8VX into the 7.1 receiver via HDMI [Using PHD-8VX Toslink (Optical digital output) to 7.1 receiver.]
g) go from the 7.1 receiver into the projector via HDMI [Best quality is from PHD-8VX HDMI output to projector.]
h) go from the 7.1 receiver into the surround sound speakers [ok.]
1) Do you see anything wrong with this? [Except (g) and recommend from PHD-8VX HDMI output to Projector directly. Others are correct.]
2) Is there a better way to do this? [As mentioned the above (1)]
3) Is there a cheaper way to do this (e.g.: a way to do it without buying a receiver)? [As mentioned, PHD-8VX has internal virtual surround sound effect (you can enable and disable). Normally, it should be good unless you really need 7.1 receiver for high quality, high volume surrounding sound effect.]
4) Will this allow me to watch HDTV programming from over-the-air broadcasts *in HDTV* on my projector? [Correct. With PHD-8VX advanced tuner reception and 1080p video enhancement and scaling. You are taking the most advantages out of HDTV program.]
5) Will this allow me to watch HDTV programming from my HD Roku box *in HDTV* on my projector? [Yes, either programming content is 720p/1080i/1080p, PHD-8VX will make video much better or equal of your program contents from my HD Roku box.]
6) Will this allow me to watch HDTV programming from my Bluray *in HDTV* on my projector? [That is correct! If your Blu-ray movie has 24p film shooting contents, you can even enjoy much more vivid quality from our PHD-8VX. You can search 24p info from internet.]
7) Will this allow me to watch my VCR/DVD player on my projector? [Yes and expecting better video quality.]
8) Will content from my VCR/DVD player and from non-HD over-the-air broadcasts be "upconverted" by the PHD-8VX, then pushed through the receiver, then to the projector so that VCR tapes and regular DVDs and standard definition TV broadcasts will look pretty decent (although understandably not HD-quality) on the projector? [Yes as mentioned the above because internal enhanced algorithm and scaling.]
SURROUND SOUND QUESTION:
9) For #4, #5, #6, and #7 above, will I be able to get surround sound through the receiver when the over-the-air broadcast, HD Roku box, VCR/DVD player, or Bluray is providing it to the PHD-8VX? [PHD-8VX providing Dolby surround sound passing-through method. If the source and Dolby AC-3, PHD-8VX will pass the raw data of Dolby surround via digital optical audio output to your receiver. Your receiver will decode and handle from there. PHD-8VX HDMI output will carry high quality video and decoded stereo (L/R) audio into your project via HDMI port.]
36" CRT TV QUESTIONS:
10) Will this allow me to watch over-the-air broadcasts on my analog tuner, non-HDTV TV? [Yes, via composite video (CVBS) output from PHD-8VX. PHD-8VX can only output either HDMI or CVBS on at a time. So, use "V.MODE" button on remote control or" V.MODE/ENTER
" key on front panel button to switch different output and resolution. The complete cycle is (you can also see the words on front panel display) showing CVBS -> 480p -> 720p -> 1080i -> 1080p -> CVBS . When change to CVBS (resolution is 480i), then video is output from yellow-red-white RCS connectors. When change to other resolutions 480p/720p/1080i/1080p), then output is from HDMI port.]
11) Will this allow me to watch my HD Roku box on my analog tuner, non-HDTV TV? [Yes!]
12) Will this allow me to watch my Bluray on my analog tuner, non-HDTV TV? [Yes!]
13) In order for this to work, the PHD-8VX has to "send" through two outputs at the same time, to both the projector and the 36" CRT TV. Does it do this, or if it is sending through the HDMI, does it "turn off" the red-yellow-white RCA cables? [Only one at a time. The ATI chip engine doesn't support both output at the same time.]