PrimeDTV PHD-8VX - New ATSC tuner, upconverter, HDMI switcher, and more. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 135 Old 12-13-2009, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I just received a e-mail from EPVision for $25 off. When I went to the site I found he/they finally updated the site to reflect their current products getting rid of that LCD TV that he/they never imported and CCTV equipment.

I then discovered their "super" STB is now listed;
http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phd8vxpre.htm
Quote:
1080p Super Scaling HDTV Tuner Receiver, All-Input Enhancing Media Center

Currently this is going for $187 minus $15 off as of mid Feburary.

This will also be the basis of their new DVR which we may actually see by March.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 135 Old 12-13-2009, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I just received a e-mail from EPVision for $25 off. When I went to the site I found he/they finally updated the site to reflect their current products getting rid of that LCD TV that he/they never imported and CCTV equipment.

I then discovered their "super" STB is now listed;
http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phd8vxpre.htmIt isn't suppose to available until next year for $250.

Yup, I just got the same email.
I had checked their website and Google for info on the PHD-8VX about a week ago, and it was not listed then.
I see they also now have a media streaming device for sale too.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #3 of 135 Old 02-06-2010, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It has "Dual sets of ATSC/QAM scanned channels" which must mean it remembers separate sets of cable and OTA channels. However, it has only one RF input, so in order to use it with both cable and OTA, you have to either swap cables or use an A/B switch. That seems odd, in view of its positioning as a combination HDTV tuner and source-switching device.
post #4 of 135 Old 02-07-2010, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

That's the same way the 205 is with the F/W upgrade that allowed separate memories.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #5 of 135 Old 05-28-2010, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is this thing ever coming out?
post #6 of 135 Old 05-28-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I want one of the:

PHD-eZ1 eZ-Digital TV Program Recorder Whenever they become available.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #7 of 135 Old 07-10-2010, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

New to the forum, been trying to figure out what I need to build a home theater. Most people I ask get confused when I tell them I don't have cable or satellite, I'll be relying on OTA broadcast, Roku box, VCR/DVD/Bluray.

Just got a Epson 8100, and installed 7.1 speakers. Need to buy a receiver, a Bluray, and I think a PHD-8VX.

I want to use the projector for football games and movies, and let the kids continue to use the 36" analog-tuner CRT TV for regular TV viewing. So I had a ton of questions for the PHD-8VX people, which they were good about answering via email, and I post their answers below. Hopefully these will help someone out there.

I still have a question about 7.1 surround sound... if I plug the HDMI out from the PHD-8VX into a 7.1 receiver, then plug the HDMI out from the receiver into the projector, that works, right? The PHD-8VX guy seemed to be trying to talk me into going straight from the PHD-8VX into the projector, but then I'd have to use the digital optical cable from the PHD-8VX into the 7.1 receiver, and I think digital optical only does 5.1, not 7.1. Anyone know the answer to that one? Thanks in advance.

The guy also said he would send me a $25 coupon next week. Is this thing actively being sold yet? Maybe next week?

PHD-8VX guy's responses to my questions are in [brackets]:
I've got (or will soon have):
1) Epson 8100 HD projector [Excellent choice]
2) 36" CRT TV, not HD, and doesn't have a digital tuner, just the old analog type -- I currently have a digital-to-analog converter box attached [no problem with PHD-8VX CVBS output (Composite video output@480i) ]
3) Bluray player (haven't bought this yet) [Choose high-end one, which can support 24p @1080p. PHD-8VX can handle very well.]
4) Old VCR/DVD combo player [No problem. You can connect to CVBS or s-video inputs of PHD-8VX.]
5) HD Roku box (to watch Netflix, etc.) [Either HDMI in or Component (Y-Pb-Pr) in.]
6) 7.l surround sound receiver (haven't bought this yet) [PHD-8VX has optical digital audio output for external surround sound, or use internal "virtual surround sound" effect to simulate the surround audio.]

- I don't have cable TV or satellite or anything like that. Just over-the-air broadcast TV.
- I'd like to use the projector only for movies and football games, and have the kids use the 36" CRT TV for day-to-day viewing. They don't need the surround sound for day-to-day viewing either.

I'd like to hook things up like this:
a) go from the TV antenna into the PHD-8VX via coaxial cable [Correct.]
b) go from the Bluray into the PHD-8VX via HDMI cable [Correct.]
c) go from the Roku box into the PHD-8VX via HDMI cable [Correct.]
d) go from the VCR/DVD into the PHD-8VX via red-yellow-white RCA cables [Correct.]
e) go from the PHD-8VX into the 36" CRT TV via component cables, or red-yellow-white RCA cables [PHD-8VX doesn't have component output. PHD-8VX has both HDMI output for high-end and composite video out for low-end.]
f) go from the PHD-8VX into the 7.1 receiver via HDMI [Using PHD-8VX Toslink (Optical digital output) to 7.1 receiver.]
g) go from the 7.1 receiver into the projector via HDMI [Best quality is from PHD-8VX HDMI output to projector.]
h) go from the 7.1 receiver into the surround sound speakers [ok.]

GENERAL QUESTIONS:
1) Do you see anything wrong with this? [Except (g) and recommend from PHD-8VX HDMI output to Projector directly. Others are correct.]
2) Is there a better way to do this? [As mentioned the above (1)]
3) Is there a cheaper way to do this (e.g.: a way to do it without buying a receiver)? [As mentioned, PHD-8VX has internal virtual surround sound effect (you can enable and disable). Normally, it should be good unless you really need 7.1 receiver for high quality, high volume surrounding sound effect.]

PROJECTOR QUESTIONS:
4) Will this allow me to watch HDTV programming from over-the-air broadcasts *in HDTV* on my projector? [Correct. With PHD-8VX advanced tuner reception and 1080p video enhancement and scaling. You are taking the most advantages out of HDTV program.]
5) Will this allow me to watch HDTV programming from my HD Roku box *in HDTV* on my projector? [Yes, either programming content is 720p/1080i/1080p, PHD-8VX will make video much better or equal of your program contents from my HD Roku box.]
6) Will this allow me to watch HDTV programming from my Bluray *in HDTV* on my projector? [That is correct! If your Blu-ray movie has 24p film shooting contents, you can even enjoy much more vivid quality from our PHD-8VX. You can search 24p info from internet.]
7) Will this allow me to watch my VCR/DVD player on my projector? [Yes and expecting better video quality.]
8) Will content from my VCR/DVD player and from non-HD over-the-air broadcasts be "upconverted" by the PHD-8VX, then pushed through the receiver, then to the projector so that VCR tapes and regular DVDs and standard definition TV broadcasts will look pretty decent (although understandably not HD-quality) on the projector? [Yes as mentioned the above because internal enhanced algorithm and scaling.]

SURROUND SOUND QUESTION:
9) For #4, #5, #6, and #7 above, will I be able to get surround sound through the receiver when the over-the-air broadcast, HD Roku box, VCR/DVD player, or Bluray is providing it to the PHD-8VX? [PHD-8VX providing Dolby surround sound passing-through method. If the source and Dolby AC-3, PHD-8VX will pass the raw data of Dolby surround via digital optical audio output to your receiver. Your receiver will decode and handle from there. PHD-8VX HDMI output will carry high quality video and decoded stereo (L/R) audio into your project via HDMI port.]

36" CRT TV QUESTIONS:
10) Will this allow me to watch over-the-air broadcasts on my analog tuner, non-HDTV TV? [Yes, via composite video (CVBS) output from PHD-8VX. PHD-8VX can only output either HDMI or CVBS on at a time. So, use "V.MODE" button on remote control or" V.MODE/ENTER" key on front panel button to switch different output and resolution. The complete cycle is (you can also see the words on front panel display) showing CVBS -> 480p -> 720p -> 1080i -> 1080p -> CVBS . When change to CVBS (resolution is 480i), then video is output from yellow-red-white RCS connectors. When change to other resolutions 480p/720p/1080i/1080p), then output is from HDMI port.]
11) Will this allow me to watch my HD Roku box on my analog tuner, non-HDTV TV? [Yes!]
12) Will this allow me to watch my Bluray on my analog tuner, non-HDTV TV? [Yes!]
13) In order for this to work, the PHD-8VX has to "send" through two outputs at the same time, to both the projector and the 36" CRT TV. Does it do this, or if it is sending through the HDMI, does it "turn off" the red-yellow-white RCA cables? [Only one at a time. The ATI chip engine doesn't support both output at the same time.]
post #8 of 135 Old 07-10-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 145
mclancy,

You can send the hdmi to the pj and then use optical for the audio.
Optical will go up to 7.1 for lossy audio, but you won't ever have any 7.1 of lossless audio for OTA signals anyway.

Only thing about the scenario above, is if you are going to add a BD player, then you will need to run hdmi to the avr for that.
Plus, I don't see why not run hdmi to the avr for the OTA a/v anyway.
If using an hdmi switching avr, just run hdmi from the stb and the bd player to the avr, then hdmi from the avr to the pj.

As far as any info here, it is not actively for sale to the public yet.
As you say, maybe next week.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #9 of 135 Old 07-10-2010, 01:52 PM

Thanks S-P. I'm going to try to buy one of these things next week, will let you guys know if I am successful.
post #10 of 135 Old 07-11-2010, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here is the link to this recorder from bdfox18doe's post;
http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phdez1pre.htm

Quote:

Key Technical Features:
432 MHz MIPS CPU
HD 720p/1080i
Best-in-class video quality: Video scaling and enhancements
ATSC/QAM Tuner
Multimedia from USB: a) JPEG View b) MP3 Player
DTV Programs Transport Stream (TS) data contents recording and playing back from USB.

Inputs;
ATSC/QAM RF Input

Outputs;
1x HDMI (up to 720p/1080i/1080p) output
1x Digital Optical (SPDIF) output

Controls;
1x USB port for recording/playing TS files.
Front Panel key controls
IR Remote Control

Only one RF input (still)??
Will this have separate memories for OTA and CATV?
This only lists a HDMI output. No component, composite or S-video?
Nothing on HDD size/time capacity.
Quote:

Contact Information:
Gary Lee
ePVision.com
714 630-6899

Not to get too far OT, but since they finally redesigned their web site, there manufacturing 'arm' has added these to their offerings;
http://www.epboard.com/eproducts/memadapter.htm

post #11 of 135 Old 07-15-2010, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I received a e-mail reply back from "Allen" as follows regarding the DVR inquiry. 90% had to do with their new tuner/switcher. (Note the highlighted text);
Quote:

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the email. For your answer, PHD-eZ1 does have OTA and CATV recording features. Not like some PVRs can be only limited to OTA. We may end up to build full feature PVR instead of eZ1, reason is the cost is very close. We can add additional component and cvbs inputs and encoding but it will cost much more. Output so far is limited to HDMI and CVBS outputs just like PHD-8VX but we may change it the last min. based on the demand and cost.

For PHD-8VX, it is on the way to here. We will send out the re-release coupon this week or early next week. Please kindly find the attached PHD-8VX user manual for your reference. There are so many fine features added in this model and we are very excited about it. For some of the nice features mentioned in the following:

(1) Excellent 1080p scaling and enhancement. Video looks much richer than PHD-205.
(2) "Custom Aspect Ratio" adjustment so user can control video over-scan issue and cover 100% HD picture content on the screen. Not like many TVs chop out certain video content around the edges. This custom aspect ratio adjustment can also apply to PHD-8VX internal graphics as well as PC input video.
(3) Dual scan channel database. Keep both OTA and cable (QAM/NTSC) channel information and easy to toggle to each other.
(4) Additive channel adding: To periodically scan any additional channels without erasing the original channels and only adding them on top of it.
(5) individual picture adjustment on each inputs. We add brightness, contrast, sharpness and others picture adjustments for video. Each input adjustment is individual.
(6) Adding virtual surround sounds and other audio adjustments.
(7) USB port to play pictures as well as music (MP3) separately or both in the same time.
(8) Can accept PC inputs from both VGA/audio port as well as any one of 3x HDMI ports.
(9) PHD-8VX HDMI input can handle 24p mode to display even more vivid movie pictures if the source content is filmed by 24Hz from Blu-ray.
(10) New generation RF tuner reception. In some areas, PHD-8VX can pick up more OTA as well as QAM/NTSC channels!

So many more from PHD-8VX box...

Thanks.
Allen
ePVision.com

post #12 of 135 Old 07-15-2010, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

I want one of the: eZ-Digital TV Program Recorder whenever they become available.

Have you looked into the DVICO TViX M6620N HD (ATSC/QAM) Tuner? AVS member Kei Clark has them at Digital Connection (price does not include hard drive). Thread here.
post #13 of 135 Old 07-15-2010, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

No, since it appears to be PC related. Doesn't that need a PC for control? Isn't that just a external tuner w/ a internal HDD to be connected to a PC, not a stand alone DVR??
I'm talking about a true stand alone DVR.

post #14 of 135 Old 07-15-2010, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, since it appears to be PC related. Doesn't that need a PC for control? Isn't that just a external tuner w/ a internal HDD to be connected to a PC, not a stand alone DVR??
I'm talking about a true stand alone DVR.

I assume this was in response to my post, if not just ignore. My post was in response to Bob's post.

The TViX M6620N is a true stand alone DVR with two ATSC/QAM tuners (no PC needed). There are limitations, for example, you can not watch a recorded program while recording a different program. You can record a program while watching a different program from the other tuner.

The unit is also a media player, click here for more info and manuals.
post #15 of 135 Old 07-16-2010, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

My bad, I should of worded my response better.
Quote:
you can not watch a recorded program while recording a different program.

Major problem AFAIC.
Quote:
You can record a program while watching a different program from the other tuner.

Funny, it has two tuners, but you can't watch one thing and record something else.

post #16 of 135 Old 07-16-2010, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Major problem AFAIC.

There is always TiVo!!

Quote:

Funny, it has two tuners, but you can't watch one thing and record something else.

From above:
Quote:
You can record a program while watching a different program from the other tuner.

post #17 of 135 Old 07-16-2010, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Watch a recorded program. After all this is a recorder and if I just wanted to "watch" live programming, I would just use the tuner within the TV.

post #18 of 135 Old 07-16-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Watch a recorded program. After all this is a recorder and if I just wanted to "watch" live programming, I would just use the tuner within the TV.

Some of us do not have TVs, we have video monitors and/or video projectors. I have five devices that can tune in ATSC (one will do ATSC & QAM) but have no video display device with a ATSC/QAM tuner.
post #19 of 135 Old 07-17-2010, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Understood, but the vast majority don't have monitors (except for PC's).

post #20 of 135 Old 07-17-2010, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Understood, but the vast majority don't have monitors (except for PC's).

The only other ATSC (8VSB) STB PVR devices that I am aware of that is currently available in the US is the TiVo and the Channel Master (Dish Network). Both have two (2) ATSC tuners. The Moxi v2 has three (3) tuners (QAM Only).
post #21 of 135 Old 07-22-2010, 07:33 AM

Just got an email
PrimeDTV PHD-8VX
CUSTOMER PRE-REGISTRATION SALE ! Coupon thingy
Looks like it is finally coming out.
"This new product, PHD-8VX, will be available in first week to mid Aug. 2010"
Anybody buying this thing?
post #22 of 135 Old 07-22-2010, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

"Thingy"??
"Thing"??

Sheesh...........

post #23 of 135 Old 07-22-2010, 08:06 AM

Coupon Code for 30% off.
Give me a break - I'm tired - didn't sleep last night.
post #24 of 135 Old 08-18-2010, 07:52 AM

Anyone have the new PHD-8VX from ePVision?

powerdyne

NEC => Fujitsu => Panasonic
post #25 of 135 Old 08-19-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdyne View Post

Anyone have the new PHD-8VX from ePVision?

powerdyne

I've got one ordered, should be here 8-23.
post #26 of 135 Old 08-19-2010, 04:39 PM

would you review the quality of its scaling of analog source?
post #27 of 135 Old 08-25-2010, 07:07 AM

RustyParts,

Did you receive PHD-8VX yet?

powerdyne

post #28 of 135 Old 08-25-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdyne View Post

RustyParts,

Did you receive PHD-8VX yet?

powerdyne

Looks like I'm off to a good start, I guess I got a bad unit. Got all the devices connected (PS3, Directv, XBOX, Wii) turned on the PHD-8VX and I have no video on any of the devices and since it's menu driven I can't see the setup menu.

I got some video once but it would cycle on and off for about ten seconds at a time so I guess I'm going to have to make a phone call.

Since I'm using a projector It may have something to do with the HDMI cable length. Stay tuned, I'm open for suggetions.
post #29 of 135 Old 08-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Hope you get a good unit. I've got one on order too. Keep us posted on your solution and your experience with their support. I've got a 75' HDMI cable currently working fine with my DirecTV HD DVR.
post #30 of 135 Old 09-02-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyParts View Post

Looks like I'm off to a good start, I guess I got a bad unit. Got all the devices connected (PS3, Directv, XBOX, Wii) turned on the PHD-8VX and I have no video on any of the devices and since it's menu driven I can't see the setup menu.

I got some video once but it would cycle on and off for about ten seconds at a time so I guess I'm going to have to make a phone call.

Since I'm using a projector It may have something to do with the HDMI cable length. Stay tuned, I'm open for suggetions.

Well I got a new HDMI cable from Monoprice and that solved the problem I had with no display. I must say that the picture quality has improved quite a bit, even my wife commented on the difference.

I know the cable probably improved the picture quality some but to verify the PHD-8X contributed to the improvment I connected the PHD and Directv receiver to a 2XHdmi switch, and switching between the two there was a definate improvement in favor of the PHD-8X.

I haven't tested the PS3, Wii, or XBox other than to verify they were working through the PHD-8X so I can't comment on them.

The only complaint so far, is with the remote control, it really sucks. My viewing distance is 16' from the screen and the remote is hit and miss at that distance. I have to get closer to the PHD-8X to make it function. Another thing is the remote is terribly slow and unresponsive. I changed the batteries thinking the others may have been weak, but it made no difference.

The TV tuner is very good. I can get all the channels in my area which are located within a 40 mile range. Depending on the conditions I can also pick up Nashville and Loiusville which are quite a distance from my location (Aprox. 100 miles). I'm using an old Channelmaster ant. and rotator.

Other than the remote I really like the PHD-8X and my wife really likes it because she can switch between devices without my assistance LOL.

Sorry if my review is not very detailed I'm not a technical guy but I do know what I like.

My system:Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8100, Visual Apex 120" fixed screen, Denon AVR-2803/983, 5.1 Pinnacle speakers, XBox, PS3, Wii, Directv HD DVR.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page