Comcast HD Box "Terminal Locked" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-29-2009, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All - Hopefully this is the right forum.

I have had a Motorola HD Set Top Box from Comcast for almost two years. I am not sure what model I have but I can tell you that it is an older box, with Component video outputs and a DVI output. I have had this box for whats coming up on two years with no technical problems what so ever. (Previously we had to have Comcast install a signal amplifier to get OnDemand working.)

Anyway back to my problem, this morning I woke up and saw on the display of the STB "8888". Which is never there, previously I have disabled the screen from showing the time when the STB is off, following the proper instructions. Later on I turned on my HDTV and saw a message telling me to enable parental controls and enter a pin (one of the Motorola menus.) I entered 0000 and confirmed it thinking it would go away and nothing happened. I did not get any channels coming in and my screen just stayed black after being prompted. So I unplugged the STB power supply for about an hour, plugged it back in and tested it out and got a message telling me the "Terminal Locked" and to re enter the pin. So I entered the previous pin that I entered earlier 0000 and got nothing just a black screen.

I am wondering if there is anything that I can do to fix this problem with out going to a Comcast lobby and swapping out the STB. My father who has another box was thinking of exchanging it for a DVR, so I was planning to just return mine get a new one and take his newer model (the ones with HDMI ports and with a blue LED display and smaller buttons.)

This isn't a dire issue I still am able to receive HDTV service in my bedroom with my TV because I have a TiVo as well. The STB from Comcast isn't necessary but I do enjoy watching their OnDemand Programming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-29-2009, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

I would like to clarify one thing I would like the STB to work as quickly as possible. I am 19 years old who just had one of my vertebrae removed and two discs, and a bone graft/ fusion to replace the missing vertebrae and discs (I previously had a tumor in the removed vertebrae which weakened it causing me to break my back.) So I have been spending alot of time in bed and this recovery may take about a year.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-29-2009, 12:16 PM

You'll need to call Comcast to see what your options are. I would imagine that if you describe your medical condition and how it prevents your traveling, they should be willing to roll a truck without a fee.

--Chris ^_^
Portland, Oregon, USA | OTA / Frontier FiOS | 52" Sharp AQUOS LC52LE700UN | PlayStation 3
post #4 of 5 Old 12-29-2009, 05:01 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It sounds exactly like what we saw, when they were updating the firmware, overnight in this area, to A28 for the new Guide. It still wasn't working in the early AM; I don't recall when exactly it was completed, sometime in the AM, though.

If it doesn't correct itself today, I would call for service in the evening, of course. There is no fee for this kind of problem, as it is Comcast's fault, not customer incompetence. Furthermore, his primary concern is getting the TV service working ASAP, not cost.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-29-2009, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I can make it to the Comcast lobby. I will try to use the Comcast online support right now. Thanks.
Reply HDTV Technical