HD Cable on Vizio SV421XVT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-02-2010, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a HD Cable Box (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4240HDC) from Time Warner Cable for my new Vizio SV421XVT. I currently have a Panasonic Rear Projection television in my living room and have a HD Cable Box (Older Version) as well. I have been to stores like Best Buy and have seen HD programming being ran on their televisions and it looks good, but for some reason on my Vizio SV421XVT with a brand new HD cable box connected by HDMI does not look near as good. I also see pixelation at some points that I do not see on my 8 year old Rear Projection. Now you may say it is the TV but I know that is not the case because if I use the built in antenna in my television using a standard coaxial cable, I pick up my local news station in HD and it looks as crisp as can be. When I go to the EXACT same channel through my cable box it does not look near as good. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-02-2010, 06:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
What does your cable company say, Nick?
post #3 of 7 Old 01-02-2010, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I presume you're using either HDMI or Component outputs and have the box configured correctly to send a 720p or 1080i signal? Those would be the first things I would check. Also make sure you are tuned to the HD channel number and not the SD channel.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-02-2010, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

I have it connected via a HDMI cable and under the settings it has 480p, 720p, and 1080i selected. I know I am on a HD channel with the HD feed running because it looks better than the SD, but not by too much.

@fredfa
I have not asked them because I am sure they would try to blame it on my hardware components in some way.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-02-2010, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
most stores are feeding their tv's a direct feed from a blu-ray disc. your cable company compresses the hd signal to be able to fit all the channels into your home. plus, in a store you are probably more than 5 feet from a tv and dont notice any imperfections. in your home you are probably closer and notice it more.

one way to tell if the problem is your cable company, hook up an antenna to the tv and scan for OTA channels. see if you notice the same pixelation on the OTA channels, then switch to your receiver and see if it is the same
post #6 of 7 Old 01-02-2010, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

I did that and my local news station looks better via the built-in antenna, rather than the cable box.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-03-2010, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
ok then that tells us your cable company is over-compressing the signal. definitely call the cable company and complain to them, but i doubt they are going to fix it. there's a reason they are compressing and that's so they can fit more channels in. but for sure call and see what they will do. maybe tell them you are going to leave to a satellite company and maybe they will give you a discount.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page