Monster "Clean Power" Worth It? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 87 Old 12-30-2011, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I actually picked this up on boxing day, total payment for it 99 bucks (had a free gift card for $100) previously owned the belkin pf30, I was considering the panamax 5300 but $99 vs $399, is the panamax that much better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 87 Old 12-30-2011, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancel View Post

I actually picked this up on boxing day, total payment for it 99 bucks (had a free gift card for $100) previously owned the belkin pf30, I was considering the panamax 5300 but $99 vs $399, is the panamax that much better?

If I get a Panamax gift card for $450 then obviously that would be a better deal, DUH.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #63 of 87 Old 12-30-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

If I get a Panamax gift card for $450 then obviously that would be a better deal, DUH.

ahhaahah.. meaning is panamax 5300 that much better than the hdp 2500 to pay that much more?
post #64 of 87 Old 12-31-2011, 08:21 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

ahhaahah.. meaning is panamax 5300 that much better than the hdp 2500 to pay that much more?

Apparently even monoprice makes one that is also a ups. Need to research it more...
post #65 of 87 Old 12-31-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman2 View Post

Apparently even monoprice makes one that is also a ups. Need to research it more...

Did you return your hdp 2500?
post #66 of 87 Old 12-31-2011, 11:01 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick212004 View Post

I have seen and have read that with many of Monster's surge protectors they have "Clean Power" which filters the power source giving you better sound and picture. I was wondering if anyone here has used one of these and if they have noticed any differences in their sound or video quality. Also, with this "dirty power" they talk about, does that mean if my current TV has only been hooked up to a basic $30 surge protector the picture quality has been reduced due to the "dirty power" it has taken in?

Tell you what, if you want to believe that snake oil crap that Monster is putting out, go right ahead. Power supplies for electronics have gotten better in protecting the device, due to how they are designed now.

This is like asking if you should go out and purchase one of those $150 gold plated electrical outlets, $2,000 power cords, $10,000 hdmi cables, due to the seller states that it will make unicorns appear in your house, you get three wishes from the magical genie, and that you will never have any problems in your life ever again.

Only people making money are the shareholders, due to people buying this crap.
post #67 of 87 Old 12-31-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick212004 View Post

I know you guys say this, but when I upgraded to the Monster 1000HD HDMI cable from a cheap $8 cable I bought online, I immediately noticed a difference. Has anyone tested one of these out?

Really? How did it improve those 1's and 0's going through the wiring?
post #68 of 87 Old 12-31-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Well duhhh...the 1's are straighter...and the 0's are rounder..any fool can hear or see that !

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #69 of 87 Old 12-31-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Did you return your hdp 2500?

Not yet... i did see an APC ups at costco today for $130... i might return the 2500 and get that one... as aside from a very slight diff in audio quality, i havent seen any improvement over my old $20 surge protector

Mind you, for $100 i'd probably keep it though...

I just wanted to get an idea among fellow avs'ers on the product and if others were using it. Seems this is one of those mixed bag were reviews are 50/50.
post #70 of 87 Old 12-31-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Well duhhh...the 1's are straighter...and the 0's are rounder..any fool can hear or see that !

That's funny
post #71 of 87 Old 12-31-2011, 03:06 PM

Superman, I just use a $40 surge with alarm that we got from Lowe's. Whenever I get off my butt, I may get a UPS, due to we have had a couple of times this year that power has gone flippin crazy by cycling on and off, due to a bad transformer, but other than that our power is clean for what our city provides.

Depending on how much load you plan on putting on that UPS, there are "offsite" type whole house UPS that you place in the garage, basement, etc that would cover that circuit, or multiple circuits. Well worth it, especially if you have a genset, and want something to carry over until you can get the genset up and running.
post #72 of 87 Old 01-04-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

It's specially designed cable with patented coaxial conductors.
The 1's travel lengthwise down the center wire, the 0's travel
broadside down the shield -- and none of the other numbers
can get through.

...with Monster® keyboard cables, who needs a spellchecker?

LK

Reunite Gondwanaland
post #73 of 87 Old 01-08-2012, 01:36 PM

Tonight i will be trying different configs to see if this has done anything to improve the sound... but im leaning on likely returning it.
post #74 of 87 Old 01-13-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:

Tonight i will be trying different configs to see if this has done anything to improve the sound... but im leaning on likely returning it.

Its going back
post #75 of 87 Old 01-13-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

As Jackie Gleason used to say, "... and away we go!"

It would have been especially fun if this thread had come up in the audio section here instead.

Just whatever you do, do not invite any of those people over here. I'd really hate to see another, whole area of the forum rendered completely useless by constant, in-house, personally insulting bickering.
post #76 of 87 Old 01-14-2012, 11:04 PM

Liked: 22
The following dialog is not intended to insult or offend. The intent is purely to shed light on the topic.

Quote:

It's a fact that Electric current is noisy and the voltage is unstable and fluctuates constantly.

I don't know what "Electric" (proper noun) is, but I'll bet it's expensive.

Yes, alternating current is known to fluctuate constantly...hence the name.

Quote:

I use a Monster AVS 2000 and my voltage remains constant at 120 volts no matter what.

No matter what, eh? No need to even plug it in. Never buy electricity again! Actually the specs say it can only maintain a "constant" (not really, but the more taps in the transformer, the smaller the variation) voltage only between 80-140 VAC, which is more or less the same as other AC voltage regulators.

Quote:

You should see the digital readout of how the current constantly fluctuates (drops) in the evenings, weekends and holidays.

No, I really shouldn't. Watching your electrical usage habits may give you hours of entertainment, but I think you'll find that you're alone in that infatuation. I'll admit that as a child I watched the electric meter from time to time. But my idea of fun was when the disk spun faster, not when it just sat there motionless.

Quote:

This is then fed into a Monster HTPS 7000 MKII power filter.

Isn't that like using an oil filter only on the dirty oil that you drain out of the car? Or a morning after birth control pill for men? Did it ever occur to you that your AVR might like filtered power to start with?

Quote:

This filters and removes electrical noise for all the different outlets sections, analog, digital ect.

ROFL!!! Can't have enough outlets for things that require digital power, can we?

Quote:

Does this make a siginifcant difference in my setup? Most certainly. My components all run at there absolute peak performance.

At the risk of stating the obvious, shouldn't your "components" run at peak performance regardless? If by "components" you mean credit cards, and peak performance is measured by the rate at which they go from zero balance to maxed-out...you may be on to something.

----------

I'm sorry but there's no way to break it to someone gently. Companies like Monster prey on people who have more money than common sense.

Of course there are legitimate instances of substandard AC power. Actually it is quite common. If this "problem" is so wide-spread, then why isn't every user of utility power up in arms? Because 99.9% of the "problem" goes completely unnoticed, so it really isn't a problem after all.

The fact of the matter is that, despite the vaguely-worded claims, no product is going to "make your whites whiter, your brights brighter", or make your TV picture look any better than its manufacturer intended. Stuff like this can't fix anything when there's nothing broken. That's the bottom line.

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
post #77 of 87 Old 01-15-2012, 08:11 AM

Actually, i did notice the readout drop evenings, to 117-118, compared to 120 the rest if the time though.
post #78 of 87 Old 01-15-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

Actually, i did notice the readout drop evenings, to 117-118, compared to 120 the rest if the time though.

A typical autoranging SMPS can handle 80 to 250VAC, the actual input voltage doesn't really mean much.
post #79 of 87 Old 01-16-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:

It would be because stuff in your house is getting turned on, along with everyone in your neighborhood turning on stuff, placing a load on the electrical distribution system.

I can tell when the capacitor bank kicks in in the morning, and when it shuts down, that feeds the line to my house, just by going and looking at the stats for my TED5000.

I would not worry about 117, it is still within specs of the system. Now, if it dips down and stays below 100, yes you have a worry.
post #80 of 87 Old 10-27-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
what exactly does the clean power (stage 1 v2.0) actually do?

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Cable-MP-Theater-PowerCenter/dp/B00003CWDK

I got two of these for $16 each just for general surge protection purposes.
post #81 of 87 Old 10-28-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess it all depends on your area (prone to lightening strikes, power outages, etc) and how well your house is grounded at the utility panel or point of entry. I just use a small APC Back-up UPS 550 for my HTS. I personally don't use anything made by Monster. The cost isn't justifiable imo.
post #82 of 87 Old 10-28-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I guess it all depends on your area (prone to lightening strikes, power outages, etc) and how well your house is grounded at the utility panel or point of entry. I just use a small APC Back-up UPS 550 for my HTS. I personally don't use anything made by Monster. The cost isn't justifiable imo.

yeah, I didn't pay full retail though (because it was a discontinued model on sale from Amazon)
post #83 of 87 Old 10-28-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I agree Monster is normally way overpriced, but Amazon has some reasonable prices right now. And I do believe clean power filtration is important and can reduce interference. My AM radio gets nothing but static when plugged in the house, but go outside and use batteries and it gets clear reception. So since they offered this deal, I have ordered one. Now $18.99. Also got a Stage 2 Clean Power version for $69.
post #84 of 87 Old 05-19-2014, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 71
A year ago I was very close to spending $1000+ on two high end Monster Power power products ( Surge protector and Power Conditioner/Automatic Voltage Regulator ) and then I found a cheap APC surge protector that could do what the monster power could with a warranty that covered lightning strikes ( the monster power $1500 surge protector didnt warrant against lightning strikes...go figure )

We need a no bull-**** "heres the truth" guide on surge protectors and power conditioners. Just like how there are tons of guides on HDMI cables.

This would help all of us consumers save HUNDREDS $$$$ of dollars on buying over hyped and over marketed products.

Anyone up for it?
post #85 of 87 Old 05-19-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

What I've always used as a guide is the following:

1. UL-1449 rated (TVSS, transient voltage surge suppressor)
2 . Clamping voltage of 330V (120 VAC line is 330V)
3. Joules rating ≥600
4. Response time < 1 nanosecond
5. Indicator light for proper MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor) functioning
6. Insurance warranty
7. 3 stage protection is best (the number of components used to suppress or redirect the surge)
8. 3 incoming line protection is best (hot to neutral, hot to ground, and neutral to ground)
9. Classified as Grade A, Class 1:

Grade A = 6,000 volts and 3,000 amps
Grade B = 4,000 volts and 2,000 amps
Grade C = 2,000 volts and 1,000 amps

Class 1 = 330 volts
Class 2 = 400 volts
Class 3 = 500 volts

Note: MOVs will degrade over time depending on how many spikes they’ve encountered and the quality of materials used in their manufacturing. There is no real way of determining that, even with an indicator light.

We don't have noticeable power fluctuations so I've never bothered with a line conditioner and haven't noticed any affects on our HTS, nor are we prone to lightning strikes. I just use an APC backup.

HDMI is easy. Certified passive high speed or standard depending on the length of the cable run. Redmere if you want or need an active cable.
post #86 of 87 Old 05-19-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Here's the truth.

Nothing will "protect" electronics from a lightning strike.

I'd like to hear where someone actually was compensated for a claim.
post #87 of 87 Old 05-19-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

+1
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page