HDMI Splitter and Cox SA HD-STB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-07-2010, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Scientific Atlanta 8240 HDC HD-DVR STB (set top box) form Cox Communications. I use an HDMI cable running from the STB to my HD-TV. All works great. I also have an older high-end Yamaha stereo system (not home theater) in the room.

I want to listen to the digital music offered with my cable service through my stereo, and here's the tough part - I prefer to listen to music with the TV turned off.

I can't use the audio out RCA ports from the TV into the stereo, since the TV must be turned on to pass the audio.

I also can't use the other audio out ports on the STB as I was told by Cox (and discovered it's true), that when using the HDMI port on the STB, all other output ports are turned off.

The only way to get the audio ports on the STB to turn on is to use the Settings - Audio: Digital Out option -- Dolby Digital, which then kills the audio signal to the TV via the HMDI cable. (Remember I don't have a home theater with this TV.)

I prefer not to use other types of cables to connect the TV, as HDMI works best and when I tried a Component cable, the audio level was dramatically reduced.

So I want to try using an HDMI splitter (1-in to 2-out) using one of the outputs to the TV, and the other output into an HMDI-to-component cable (RBG + audio) cord so I can take the two RCA audio out plus and connect them to my stereo's "Aux" input. Everything points to it working, except....

I read on a couple of the splitter vendor's sites that some output devices (Xbox, Blu-Ray, etc.) do not allow the HDMI output signal to be split. See one warning below.

Due to copyright and other industrial standard concerns, some of the input devices (game consult, DVD player, Blu-Ray player, etc) might not allow the signals being displayed onto two or more output devices simultaneously. Please consult with your input devices' specification for HDMI Splitter compatibility.

So does anyone know if the Cox Scientific Atlantic 8240-HD-DVR set top box allows the HMDI output signal to be split?

I'd like to know before I buy a $$ HDMI splitter. I couldn't get a reliable answer from Cox, and found nothing on the Scientific Atlanta site or their Owner's Manual.

Many thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-09-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Have you considered just using the stereo for audio all of the time. You will get better quality audio than from the TV speakers.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page