Sony Bravia & AT&T U-Verse box wont HDMI handshake. Any ideas? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-11-2010, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My boss sent me to her friends house to install a new Sony Bravia 46" HDTV. She had previously been using a Sony CRT. Her video sources are AT&T U-Verse, DVD, and VHS.

I connected the DVD using component, and the VHS using Composite. I used a HDMI V1.3c cable (6') to connect her U-verse box to the HDMI 1 (also tried HDMI 2) input on the TV. Sorry I dont have the exact model, its the one on close out at Wal-Mart.

Everything functioned perfectly, until she turned it off (using the U-verse remote). When she tried to turn it back on, the U-Verse box comes on, the blue HD light pops up, and the TV screen comes on and says HDMI1 - Cable TV, however, no audio or video ever appear on the TV. Unplugging, and replugging the HDMI cable causes both to pop right in.

I suspect a copy protection handshake issue, and had AT&T come out. They swapped boxes with the same result, and ended up hooking the box up with analog component video cables. The owner, however, wants what she paid for, HDMI, to work, so I am being sent back over there again. We have already tried several HDMI cables. She wants me to get Sony on the phone, and have them troubleshoot the problem with me.

My question, has anyone experienced this problem before, and if so, was it the source or the LCD TV that ended up being the problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-11-2010, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Try turning on the TV first, then turn on the U-verse box (with a 30 second pause or so in between).

If it still has issues try turning on the U-verse box first, then the TV (again pausing for 30 seconds or so in between).

If there are still issues try changing the input on the TV, and then changing back.

This is most likely an HDMI handshake issue. Trying this should help figure out which component is causing the problem.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-11-2010, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The remote is a U-Verse universal, and has no option to add any delays (that I am aware of).
Changing input on tv to DVD and back to U-verse works, as does turning off the tv, and back on.
The U-Verse box is a dvr, and doesnt actually turn off. When rebooting it, one time it came up ok, the next it didnt handshake.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 128
What brand of HDMI cables are being used? I have read where others has swap out to a different brand of HDMI cables and solve the problem.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-12-2010, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tried Visio, Phillips, and whatever the ATT service tech tried...

post #6 of 10 Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Here is another suggestion, go into the menus of the TV and turn the HDMI-CEC feature to "OFF", reboot the U-Verse STB, and see if HDMI now works. (HDMI-CEC is labeled Sony BRAVIA’s is Theatre Sync)
post #7 of 10 Old 01-12-2010, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenlr View Post

The remote is a U-Verse universal, and has no option to add any delays (that I am aware of).
Changing input on tv to DVD and back to U-verse works, as does turning off the tv, and back on.
The U-Verse box is a dvr, and doesnt actually turn off. When rebooting it, one time it came up ok, the next it didnt handshake.

I meant turn the devices on using the actual power buttons on them (or the TVs original remote) instead of using the U-Verse remote.

I know most DVRs never really turn off, but most still have a standby mode that they go into when you hit the power button. This is what I meant by turning it off. I'm trying to figure out if the U-Verse box shuts off it's HDMI output when in standby or not (some DVRs do, some don't).

If the U-Verse box never shuts off it's HDMI output then there is probably no way to get around this other than using the component video connections.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-28-2011, 11:54 PM

Liked: 10
I also have a 46" Sony Bravia LCD and now have switched to ATT Uverse. It does matter for me which Input I choose, the box simply won't send the signal (or the tv won't pick up the signal) unless after every time I turn it off and on I pull out the HDMI and put it back in.

Yes I have tried every input, and yes I have tried multiple brands and lengths of HDMI's. Please note that I have never had this issue with this TV until I switched to Uverse. It works great (still) with normal Cable. Also, I can not find this Theater sync thing to turn off.

PLEASE HELP!!!
post #9 of 10 Old 09-05-2013, 07:12 AM

Has anyone had any luck with this issue? Dealing with the same annoyance here.
The real kicker is that I had Uverse six months ago with no issues, switched to TWC, then back to ATT & now with their new box I cannot get a signal unless I unplug/replug the HDMI cable any time the TV is powered off. As others have, I've tried various inputs & cables etc with zero luck.

Hoping someone has a hint!
post #10 of 10 Old 09-10-2013, 06:53 AM

Issue resolved here!
I did some digging last night & found a firmware update that Sony released for the Bravia model I own (KDL-32EX400) that cleared up the issue.
http://esupport.sony.com/p/swu-download.pl?upd_id=6829&mdl=KDL32EX400

One of the bullet points for the update, per Sony:
"Resolves an issue where some Cisco cable boxes may stop responding when the TV is turned on."

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing this issue!
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page