AVS Official Topic - The FCC & Broadcast Spectrum - Page 100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
post #2971 of 2982 Old 11-03-2016, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked: 706
It all makes sense now, but I have to admit I wasn't aware that it would take over 3 years to "repack" the TV spectrum. Somehow I was imagining that everyone would get their new RF assignments, build and/or upgrade facilities as needed, then in a couple of years when everyone was ready, the whole country would cut over to their new slots all at once.

I guess I was naive in thinking it would be like the digital transition that way, but instead it sounds like it'll be a gradual process, with stations moving a few at a time. Even some stations that are already below the new RF cutoff may need to move in order to avoid interference with other stations that have to move. Which means viewers will have to rescan over and over, any time some of the stations in their area move.

Also, ATSC 3.0 will probably be finalized long before repacking is completed. While that's good in the long run, I think stations who move after 3.0 becomes an option will be very tempted to switch to 3.0 at the same time, even if they don't have a "sister" station that can remain at 1.0 - especially if their new RF assignment is in the VHF-Lo band. That means OTA viewers may have to buy new antennas*, tuners, DVRs, etc., in order to keep watching some of their local stations.

Could they possibly have made this process any more irritating, annoying, and painful? Seems like everyone was consulted for their input except the viewers!

*I expect folks who thought they needed to buy new "HDTV" antennas during the digital transition will be disappointed to discover that they have to switch back to old-style all-band antennas when their favorite station winds up on RF 2!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 2982 Old 11-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 26
How true, how true

Best quote of the entire thread ------> "Could they possibly have made this process any more irritating, annoying, and painful? Seems like everyone was consulted for their input except the viewers!"

I personally am on the fence regarding the adoption of ATSC 3.0.
As I understand it, ATSC 3.0 has not been approved yet and is not part of the repacking process

But the repacking process is going to indeed be one big pain for those of us who actually watch OTA TV. I certainly hope Lo-VHF is not used very much in the repack. I've put up three antennas recently (mine and two friends). Hate to think I've got to spend another $600 to get us all fixed up (again) to receive low Lo-VHF stations like we used to.
post #2973 of 2982 Old 11-03-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
It all makes sense now, but I have to admit I wasn't aware that it would take over 3 years to "repack" the TV spectrum. Somehow I was imagining that everyone would get their new RF assignments, build and/or upgrade facilities as needed, then in a couple of years when everyone was ready, the whole country would cut over to their new slots all at once.

I guess I was naive in thinking it would be like the digital transition that way, but instead it sounds like it'll be a gradual process, with stations moving a few at a time. Even some stations that are already below the new RF cutoff may need to move in order to avoid interference with other stations that have to move. Which means viewers will have to rescan over and over, any time some of the stations in their area move.
One of the hard requirements of the model included in the transition public notice is that no more than two rescans are required in any DMA as a result of channel changes. This is designed specifically to help viewers. (Modeling just one scan per DMA showed that it would be almost identical to a single date at the end rather than breaking it up over time.)

Remember that during the DTV transition stations operated in both analog and digital--on both channels--until the transition date. Stations will not have that luxury this time around. That is the idea behind the phased transition; it allows stations to transition over to their new channels with limited disruption to viewers as that equipment is replaced or upgraded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathill View Post
As I understand it, ATSC 3.0 has not been approved yet and is not part of the repacking process
This is correct.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2974 of 2982 Old 11-03-2016, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
One of the goals of the repack is to not require viewers to rescan for new channel assignments more than twice during the whole 3-year process. I think we can handle that, but it does make the repack more difficult. Still, much of the reason for this whole mess is ultimately the wireless user, which includes consumers of OTA TV. We like the ever-increasing options wireless carriers are providing.
post #2975 of 2982 Old 11-20-2016, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Looks like Stage 3 of the reverse auction will finish up on Dec. 1 if it has 53 rounds like Stage 2 did. Then the Stage 3 forward auction will start in the 2nd week of December. Even if that gets cut short it seems unlikely that Stage 4 would start in December because it would interfere with Christmas and New Years, too many people on vacation.

Seems to me that 2016 was just prep work for the real auction that begins in January 2017. Should there be a Stage 5 we're looking at March.
post #2976 of 2982 Old 11-21-2016, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Old guy is not so sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhett View Post
.....We like the ever-increasing options wireless carriers are providing.
This OTA guy is not quite sure of that just yet......
JHBrandt likes this.
post #2977 of 2982 Old 11-28-2016, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

This might be of interest.

http://www.freepress.net/sites/defau...l_10-20-16.pdf

Take it with a grain of salt though; I suspect there was some inconsistency in how stations that answered did so, and stations in groups often have a single answer across the whole group which could mean "some number of the group is participating" but not necessarily that all the stations are. For example, participation could mean moving from UHF to VHF, but a station may have answered the survey assuming it meant "accept the go off air bid". Or a station in a duopoly may have put in one station or the other but not both but counted both as "participating" since the other will be a channel sharing host.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #2978 of 2982 Old 11-28-2016, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
This might be of interest.

http://www.freepress.net/sites/defau...l_10-20-16.pdf

Take it with a grain of salt though; I suspect there was some inconsistency in how stations that answered did so, and stations in groups often have a single answer across the whole group which could mean "some number of the group is participating" but not necessarily that all the stations are. For example, participation could mean moving from UHF to VHF, but a station may have answered the survey assuming it meant "accept the go off air bid". Or a station in a duopoly may have put in one station or the other but not both but counted both as "participating" since the other will be a channel sharing host.

- Trip
THANKS TRIP.

As a non-engineer non-TV broadcast professional this is the first article describing this whole process that I can actually understand.
It all makes sense to me now.
I wonder just how much true "demand" the wireless companies claimed they had for this spectrum is actually there.
The old phrase "put your money where your mouth is" comes to my mind........
post #2979 of 2982 Old 11-28-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

One more thing.

https://auctiondata.fcc.gov/public/p..._announcements

The current reverse stage will end 12/1; looks like up to five rounds will be stuffed into 12/1 to make it happen. Next forward stage is tentatively scheduled for 12/5 but the date will be announced when the reverse stage ends.

- Trip
DrDon likes this.

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #2980 of 2982 Unread Today, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Stage 3 reverse ended at $40.3 billion.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #2981 of 2982 Unread Today, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Seems unlikely the wireless companies will bid that high. On to Stage 4! January 2, 2017 start?
post #2982 of 2982 Unread Today, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If it doesn't close? Probably sooner than that.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical