AVS Official Topic - The FCC & Broadcast Spectrum - Page 106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #3151 of 3156 Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 1753
Vermont PBS announces its participation in the auction. Keeping 3, shutting down one.

http://current.org/2017/02/vermont-p...ctrum-auction/

Though the writer transposed the call letters. Should read WVTA, Windsor on rf ch 24.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3156 Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
... have fallen on hard times, are very poor, and can't afford even a small, cheap HDTV right now.

They never have fallen and are very poor and were right from the start. Ever hear of Cesar Chavez? The compound south of Bakersfield, CA? The program California's Gold hosted by Huell Howser (RIP) often showed a pictures of California that we do not think about.

I remember one set of buildings just off US 101 before the turnoff to CA 25 towards Hollister. Another set of buildings is at the far East South end of the road through Carmel Valley where you can turn North after coming out of the mountains.

I road a motorcycle past many more buildings during my weekends trips out of Silicon Valley.

SHF
JHBrandt likes this.
post #3153 of 3156 Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
They never have fallen and are very poor and were right from the start. Ever hear of Cesar Chavez? The compound south of Bakersfield, CA? The program California's Gold hosted by Huell Howser (RIP) often showed a pictures of California that we do not think about.

I remember one set of buildings just off US 101 before the turnoff to CA 25 towards Hollister. Another set of buildings is at the far East South end of the road through Carmel Valley where you can turn North after coming out of the mountains.

I road a motorcycle past many more buildings during my weekends trips out of Silicon Valley.

SHF
My nightmare scenario is that when the repacking is done and ATSC 3.0 is fully implemented, all current television sets will be bricks, and set-top-boxes will be required as will subscriptions to view any decent programming. All the truly poor folks just have to learn what life in America is all about, corporate greed.
As an (at one-time) idealistic free-market proponent, I would LOVE to be proven wrong, but I'm becoming very cynical in my old age.
SFischer1 and JHBrandt like this.

post #3154 of 3156 Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathill View Post
My nightmare scenario is that when the repacking is done and ATSC 3.0 is fully implemented, all current television sets will be bricks, and set-top-boxes will be required as will subscriptions to view any decent programming. All the truly poor folks just have to learn what life in America is all about, corporate greed.
As an (at one-time) idealistic free-market proponent, I would LOVE to be proven wrong, but I'm becoming very cynical in my old age.
A free market only works when there are enough players that there is real competition, and that is slowly becoming a memory. A few years from now we may well have the Comcast/Charter/Verizon/CenturyLink/ATT Corp, owning nearly all of the cable and satellite delivery, internet access, most of the remaining OTA stations, and producing most programming and news - but it will be profitable...

Here's another station that is selling their license, abruptly dropping news and most staff immediately, and preparing to shut down ASAP:

http://www.unionleader.com/business/...staff-20170217
JHBrandt likes this.

Last edited by Channel99; Yesterday at 06:36 PM.
post #3155 of 3156 Old Today, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 1753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel99 View Post
Here's another station that is selling their license, abruptly dropping news and most staff immediately, and preparing to shut down ASAP:

http://www.unionleader.com/business/...staff-20170217
For those mobile users not wishing to click..that's WBIN, Concord, NH. From my read, it appears they bought the independent station 5 years ago for $9 mil and launched a local news operation that struggled against competition from the Boston TV powerhouses. Having witnessed that kind of debacle first-hand, I imagine they were bleeding red ink and were all too happy to close up shop. Previous owners also shuttered a news department years ago. At least they plan to reinvest the proceeds in other area media.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3156 of 3156 Old Today, 09:27 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
For those mobile users not wishing to click..that's WBIN, Concord, NH. From my read, it appears they bought the independent station 5 years ago for $9 mil and launched a local news operation that struggled against competition from the Boston TV powerhouses. Having witnessed that kind of debacle first-hand, I imagine they were bleeding red ink and were all too happy to close up shop. Previous owners also shuttered a news department years ago. At least they plan to reinvest the proceeds in other area media.
WBIN had a wide analog signal coverage area. The analog signal was 4800 kW, but their DTV signal is only 7.3 kW (not a typo) which kept them in the must-carry/retransmission consent category, but made the signal unwatchable in most of the Boston market. Comcast and other providers do carry both the main channel and the subchannel AntennaTV, however. This license sale was probably expected, but the owner could not wait to dump their news operation and most of their staff, which has put them in a negative light, to say the least, in the New Hampshire portion of the Boston market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical