AVS Official Topic - The FCC & Broadcast Spectrum - Page 109 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 58Likes
post #3241 of 3262 Unread 03-15-2017, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Salt grain required.

In Albany, NY, WRGB reportedly is staying on 39.
Indeed since WRGB's primary license is on VHF 6. They do have an LD license for 39 in Glen Falls which obviously must go away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3262 Unread 03-15-2017, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post
In Albany, NY, WRGB reportedly is staying on 39.
How can that be, when the TV band ends at 36?

James Calvin Woods - Son of Verta Jane Holland
post #3243 of 3262 Unread 03-15-2017, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1548 Post(s)
Liked: 766
I think that was his point: the report (of WRGB staying on 39) must be incorrect.
joblo likes this.

post #3244 of 3262 Unread 03-15-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Sure there are some Stations moving from Ch38-51 to a lower Channel.....but there are LOTS of changes of Stations ALREADY in Ch14-36 Band to ANOTHER Channel in that Band.....I'm confused as to WHY [e.g. NYC, L.A., CHI, Philly, DFW, SF, San Diego]. There should be some sort of PLAN for firing up NEW Transmitter(s) that will become the DMA's ATSC 3.0 Multiplex Transmitter(s)....esp. 1WTC taking over as Primary with Empire State Bldg being ATSC 1.0 Backup...which would soon thereafter continue as the ATSC 1.0 LIGHTHOUSE when they switch 1WTC into ATSC 3.0 mode.

I see that rabbitears.info Market Listings has been updated to provide more extensive information on these moves, and for NYC (and perhaps some other DMA's) showing which Stations/Networks will fire up TWO TRANSMITTERS.....

Interesting, in SF, KGO (ABC) now on Ch7 is moving to Ch12 in the SAME Hi-VHF Band [WHY?????]....PLUS new UHF Ch35 as the Second Transmitter [the latter NOT shown in the Channel Change Database]. [And neither shows who, if anyone, takes over Ch7.....which should be Prime Real Estate.]

Last edited by holl_ands; 03-15-2017 at 11:58 AM.
post #3245 of 3262 Unread 03-15-2017, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
The KGO 35 translator on Mount Allison has been operational for several years now.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #3246 of 3262 Unread 03-19-2017, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 1896
NAB Slams FCC Repack Plan, Seeks Changes
Says auction structure was faulty, transition plan is flawed
By John Eggerton Broadcasting and Cable March 19th, 2017

The National Association of Broadcasters has petitioned the FCC reconsider its "flawed" framework and timeline for repacking TV stations after the incentive auction, saying not to do so will hurt broadcasters and their viewers.

The auction is ending at the end of March and a final “Closing and Channel Reassignment Public Notice,” announcing who won what--both broadcasters getting paid to give up spectrum and wireless companies and others buying that spectrum is expected to be released mid-April.

From that point, broadcasters remaining on the air have 39 months to move to new channels. The FCC has said a deadline is needed so that the spectrum forward auction bidders are paying almost $20 billion for can be freed up.

In a filing with the FCC March 17, NAB says the FCC made a number of mistakes in setting up the auction, including making it overly complicated and not letting stations that had dropped out back in, and created a framework for repacking that does not sufficiently

take into account the "unprecedented logistical and operational challenges" both for the commission and industry.

An NAB witness made those arguments earlier this month at hearing in the Senate Communications Subcommittee.

NAB had asked the FCC to modify its repack framework, but late last month it declined to make most of those changes.

In the new petition, NAB was trying again.

As it has said before, NAB argues that the FCC was wrong not to use the $1.75 billion Congress set aside for repack expenses as a budget, insuring it would limit station moves to those that could be made using that money.

"This means that the Commission will repack far more stations than necessary, and far more than can likely be fully reimbursed. This will result in the repack taking longer, and causing considerably more viewer disruption, than might otherwise have been necessary," NAB says.

Then there is the timeline. NAB says the FCC has not provided for active oversight of the repack that includes "real-time adjustments" or "course corrections." Instead, says NAB, the FCC appears to be hoping the transition unfolds perfectly, while NAB clearly sees some potential wrinkles.

Well, perhaps more than simply wrinkles given the tone of the petition. NAB says the FCC is blindly adhering to the "arbitrary and unfounded" 39-month" deadline above all else.

NAB wants the FCC to revise the plan to prevent "forcing broadcast stations to go off the air or reduce their service due to circumstances outside their control."

NAB says the FCC's strict adherence to the "in fallibility" of the 39-month deadline is unbalanced and unfair to viewers and listeners> Rather than gauge requests for more time on whether they disrupt that timeline, says NAB, the FCC should gauge them on their individual merits.

NAB says broadcasters don't want a blank check, they just want the FCC not to deny "otherwise justified" requests to maintain the appearance that the plan is working.

The FCC is conducting the transition in 10, staggered, phases, and has already informed stations, privately, of what those are. NAB says the FCC should instead adjust those phases based on the cost estimates and construction permits broadcasters don't have to file until 90 days after that Mid-April public notice.

It also says those phase assignments should be delayed until the FCC better gauges the transition's impact on co-located FM radio stations, which could be affected by tower and antenna changes. "The FCC’s transition schedule does not appear to take these issues into account at all," the FCC says.

NAB also wants more clarity on coordinating the border station moves with Mexico and Canada.

"The repack of broadcast television stations after the close of the auction may ultimately come to make the auction itself look simple. Previous Commission decisions have exacerbated challenges inherent in the repack, putting viewers at risk and potentially causing unnecessary harm to broadcasters. Many of these decisions are simply irreversible at this point. Nevertheless, the Commission still has an opportunity to take steps to develop and implement a transition plan that treats all stakeholders fairly and protects viewers and listeners from service disruptions," NAB concluded.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/new...changes/164204

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3247 of 3262 Unread Yesterday, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Stations in the lower 36 Band having to make changes makes zero sense to me. If I were them I would fight it and hope Trump guts the FCC to the point the whole bloody mess (plan) gets canceled!
post #3248 of 3262 Unread Yesterday, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Free Press Action Fund Unveils Proposal to Use Airwaves-Auction Windfall to Strengthen New Jersey

In testimony before the New Jersey State Assembly, News Voices: New Jersey calls for creation of the New Jersey Civic Information Consortium

March 15, 2017
https://www.freepress.net/press-rele...ction-windfall

Quote:
The state is believed to have sold off several public television licenses in a national auction conducted
by the Federal Communications Commission. The auction ended in February, but the Treasurer and
Gov. Christie have indicated that the amount of money the state will receive from the sale will not be
publicized until April.

However, Gov. Christie this week said that money from the sale of New Jersey’s public media licenses
will make up a part, but not the entire, anticipated $325 million in state asset sales included in the
recently released state budget.
https://www.newsvoices.org/sites/def..._testimony.pdf
post #3249 of 3262 Unread Yesterday, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I think that was his point: the report (of WRGB staying on 39) must be incorrect.
Indeed. And here's another: one station told the NAB it is staying on Channel 68.

Three guess how that happened... but you should really only need one...

post #3250 of 3262 Unread Yesterday, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Stations in the lower 36 Band having to make changes makes zero sense to me.
Then you lack the understanding of what is going on, why it is being done, and how it has come to pass so far.

Quote:
If I were them I would fight it and hope Trump guts the FCC to the point the whole bloody mess (plan) gets canceled!
post #3251 of 3262 Unread Today, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know all that and I still hate it and think it makes no sense and by that I mean to all of us who use OTA! It does not benefit us OTA viewers. That is the public who pay taxes and pay the salaries of those who are screwing us over! This is all about helping those who have big influence in Washington and deep pockets.
post #3252 of 3262 Unread Today, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
I know all that and I still hate it and think it makes no sense and by that I mean to all of us who use OTA! It does not benefit us OTA viewers. That is the public who pay taxes and pay the salaries of those who are screwing us over! This is all about helping those who have big influence in Washington and deep pockets.
I tend to agree. The supposed purpose of the repack is more efficient use of the airwaves. But profit-oriented commercial interests are surely gleeful because the repack will cause great upheaval in free over-the-air reception as it now stands. We're not in a position to judge the potential benefits, but we can see clearly the potential harm.

When the dust settles, we'll see how much harm the viewing public has suffered. If there are more OTA viewers receiving more programming more easily and clearly, the repack will be a public good. If many OTA viewers have been forced to give up and pay for access to programming, then private corporate interests will have benefited at the expense of the public interest. Time will tell.

Last edited by L David Matheny; Today at 07:43 AM.
post #3253 of 3262 Unread Today, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 39
L. David Matheny nails it

L.David Matheny: My thoughts exactly, although I can't express them as well as you did!
I'm nervous and skeptical, but hopeful at the same time regarding the entire repack/possible ATSC 3.0 changeover.
post #3254 of 3262 Unread Today, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unfortunately while there may be millions of us OTA viewers we have no one advocating for our best interests and we have no clout against all the special interests pulling all the strings. It obvious from how little coverage OTA use gets in the media that we are not taken very seriously. We seem to be an after thought.
post #3255 of 3262 Unread Today, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The Re-Pack's Effect on FM Broadcasters

I have done radio work for about 35 years and have an interest in the technical side of both radio and TV. That being said, I've been reading a lot from the "radio biz" about how TV stations' "re-pack" work at their transmitter sites will have a potentially negative impact on co-located FM stations. I don't seem to remember reading any negative issues from FM stations (and the NAB) during the analog-to-digital transition. It would seem the "impact" would be the same or very similar - and thus a non-issue - unless I'm missing something here.
HDMI Guy likes this.

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
post #3256 of 3262 Unread Today, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
If I were them I would fight it and hope Trump guts the FCC to the point the whole bloody mess (plan) gets canceled!
Which Donald Trump? This one?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tru...lan-2017-03-08

"He expressed interest in building new high-speed railroads, inquired about the possibility of auctioning the broadcast spectrum to wireless carriers, and asked for more details about the Hyperloop, a project envisioned by Tesla founder Elon Musk that would rapidly transport passengers in pods through low-pressure tubes."

- Trip
HDMI Guy and JHBrandt like this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #3257 of 3262 Unread Today, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

I realize it's a popular opinion to blame things we don't like on "corporate greed" and insinuate that someone's getting paid off, somewhere. But the fact of the matter is, the FCC has a long history of reallocating portions of the electromagnetic spectrum based on need. Currently, the public's demand for high-speed mobile broadband is way outpacing its demand for over-the-air television. It only makes sense to shuffle things around to get ahead of that and pay down the federal debt in the process (though admittedly, not by much). At the end of the day, you'll still have pretty much the same over-the-air programming you watch, now, and much better mobile broadband to boot.

I want two things out of this: To be able to use my phone at concerts and sporting events (currently, the whole system clogs up to the point texts I send from the game don't arrive for DAYS).
Second, I want a mobile hotspot I can use for my at-home internet and dump the cable company. I'd do that NOW if the signal was better....
PA_MainyYak likes this.

Last edited by DrDon; Today at 02:14 PM.
post #3258 of 3262 Unread Today, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think anyone's getting "paid off" - I just think it's a matter of where the FCC Commissioners' interests like. That's true of both Obama's and Trump's appointees, BTW.

Both Wheeler (Obama's FCC chair) and Pai (Trump's) worked for the wireless industry. Wheeler also worked for the cable TV industry. So they tend to have viewpoints favorable to those industries. Unfortunately, those viewpoints don't always line up with the customers of those industries.

Take Net Neutrality as an example. Wheeler was originally very reluctant to issue Net Neutrality regulations; it took a massive public outcry, both to the FCC and to Obama, to get him to change his mind. And now Pai seems determined to reverse even that hard-won victory. That's good news for cable ISPs like Comcast, Spectrum, etc., but not so good for their customers.

Getting back on topic, I do think the spectrum auction was well-designed to balance the desires of the broadcast and wireless industries for UHF spectrum. What I'm less convinced of is that the needs of consumers were equally balanced. I guess we'll see, but the wireless industry is now looking at moving to much higher frequencies, so their desire for part of the UHF TV band doesn't seem likely to help their consumers much - but it does seem likely to put a crimp in OTA viewing!
post #3259 of 3262 Unread Today, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Second, I want a mobile hotspot I can use for my at-home Internet and dump the cable company. I'd do that NOW if the signal was better....
Is there a way to do that cost effectively? I have an LTE node right across the street from me and get 50 Mbps downlink from it when I tether my phone. But I can't live with just 5 GB a month. And the "unlimited" plans don't really seem unlimited.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #3260 of 3262 Unread Today, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There used to be a company called Clearwire that did that sort of thing. They used a slightly different technology - WiMax instead of LTE - and they weren't very fast, but it was a good deal while it lasted. But Sprint bought them out, presumably for their spectrum (in the 2.5GHz band, just above the WiFi band) and shut them down.

Something similar should be possible in the newly-auctioned LTE band, but it doesn't seem like the Big Four (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, & T-Mobile) are terribly interested.
post #3261 of 3262 Unread Today, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

asked for more details about the Hyperloop, a project envisioned by Tesla founder Elon Musk that would rapidly transport passengers in pods through low-pressure tubes."

- Trip
I think I saw that on The Jetsons.
post #3262 of 3262 Unread Today, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post
Is there a way to do that cost effectively? I have an LTE node right across the street from me and get 50 Mbps downlink from it when I tether my phone. But I can't live with just 5 GB a month. And the "unlimited" plans don't really seem unlimited.

Ron
Thanks to an AT&T store manager who likes me, I managed to get a deal where I pay for 15Gb and get 30 plus rollover. Then a 20% discount for being a CBS employee. There's no throttlilng until I use all the data, which i never do. We ran a 4G hotspot for all our internet needs for nearly a year until the signal went south. Streamed a lot of shows in HD without so much as a single hiccup. No idea why the signal went from four bars to one, but that killed the hotspot idea. Heck, the phone doesn't even work in the house, anymore. Nothing changed with AT&T. Something's causing interference and I don't have a spectrum analyzer to figure out what it is. Verizon has a better signal into my house, but getting a similar plan with them is about twice as much as what I'm' paying AT&T. Might as well just keep cable internet.

Funny thing. I'm about 200 yards outside of an AT&T WiFi hotspot. If I could just tap THAT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
I think I saw that on The Jetsons.
Yeah, he's not the first to think that one up. Somewhere, I have a college paper a bunch of us put together for a vacuum-tube supersonic transportation system that looped the US. I think we got a B on it. This was in 1977.

Last edited by DrDon; Today at 08:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical