AVS Official Topic - The FCC & Broadcast Spectrum - Page 82 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2431 of 2861 Old 10-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If they try to force another DTV transition anytime this decade or the next, I say we copy the Occupy Wall Street protesters and start Occupy The FCC! Since cell phone companies' demand for more spectrum would be one of the chief causes of a 2nd transition, we can protest in front of their offices and stores in every city in America!

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2861 Old 10-23-2011, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post

Aren't these the same people who have gotten us into our current economic mess? Why would we expect them to be able to come up with plans that will actually make things better? This will make things worse for everyone except: Congress, CEOs of Major Companies, and the Leading Economists they pay to tell lies.

I couldn't have said it better, myself
post #2433 of 2861 Old 10-23-2011, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Aren't these the same people who have gotten us into our current economic mess? Why would we expect them to be able to come up with plans that will actually make things better? This will make things worse for everyone except: Congress, CEOs of Major Companies, and the Leading Economists they pay to tell lies.

Actually they were telling the truth but no one ever believes bad news until it comes true.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #2434 of 2861 Old 10-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Actually they were telling the truth but no one ever believes bad news until it comes true.

I was actually talking to one of my Electrical Engineering friends last night about the absolute unnecessary nature of smart phones. He told me that he had thought about how a smart phone would have benefited him over the last year and had come up with two instances when he would have liked a map or wanted to Google something when he wasn't near a broadband connected computer. Those two times weren't worth the extra expense.

So, the spectrum grab basically comes down to limiting something that offers universal access and has been shown to save lives in emergencies for something that offers expensive, unnecessary, conditional access and that always (and aways will) get overloaded when an emergency happens.

And let's see here! If wireless carriers were to allow WiFi only smartphones that didn't require a data plan on their networks the whole spectrum "crisis" thing would go away. Oh, but you can't charge the big bucks for that!!! As it is now I see the whole wireless broadband thing leveling off, and possibly even going down the toilet as more people realize how worthless it really is.

As far as our economic mess we're in right now, that is the result of Congress and corporations applying bad economic policies for an extended period of time. Remember all the talk about a service economy. Remember the low interest rates we've had for years. Now we have quantitative easing. We desperately need to start encouraging the production of goods in our own country and get control of our money supply. If we don't, were going to be wishing for the good old days of 2009. For the last few years our biggest export has been money. The only thing that keeps us from having large rates of inflation is that the rest of our world still values our currency. If that ever changes we're in big trouble. It has already negatively effected us. The housing crisis was largely caused by large quanities of foreign held money coming back into the economy in one particular sector ultimately resulting in the "bubbling" and collapse of that sector.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

post #2435 of 2861 Old 10-24-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Far too many of my FB Friends seem to use their SmartPhones continuously, sending dozens of photos of themselves every day, keeping us abreast of their whereabouts (Denny's, McDonald's, their car, their bathroom, somebody else's bathroom, etc), and when their homes will be unoccupied, along with stupid games, cartoons, posters, and lots of "urban-legend-gone-viral" links.

I rarely see anything important, that could not have been sent from a hard-wired home computer connection, though.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #2436 of 2861 Old 10-24-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I've been considering getting an Android phone. If I can talk my carrier into letting me get a 50MB data plan instead of the 5GB plan they try to force on everyone, I may go for it. I want it to use with Mobile RabbitEars, which uses less than 10KB. If I did my math right, it should be possible to access it more than 6,000 times per month without exceeding 50MB of usage.

I honestly have no idea what else I would use it for beyond maybe an occasional check of a map or something like that. And I suspect a lot of the time I'd be using it for something like that, I would be near wifi.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2437 of 2861 Old 10-24-2011, 03:10 PM

Liked: 11
Ya know, you can tweet and post pictures to Facebook all day long with a feature phone plus unlimited text. I carry around a Wi-Fi iPad and get access almost anytime I need it. Spectrum shortage, indeed! (obligatory kids/lawn reference)
post #2438 of 2861 Old 10-24-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

Far too many of my FB Friends seem to use their SmartPhones continuously, sending dozens of photos of themselves every day,

I must be a Luddite, I don't understand the fascination of Facebook, and the privacy implications are pretty ugly.

I have a web site. When I become interested in something and motivated I write it up and post it or I hang out at sites like this one.

Getting back on topic. Combining smart phones with ubiquitous Wi-Fi access would go a long way to reducing spectrum utilization especially in urban areas. That seems like a great opportunity for wireless carriers. They are able to sell a monthly service and much of the traffic is carried by other networks. Sounds like a fantastic deal for both customers and carriers.
post #2439 of 2861 Old 10-25-2011, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

I was actually talking to one of my Electrical Engineering friends last night about the absolute unnecessary nature of smart phones. He told me that he had thought about how a smart phone would have benefited him over the last year and had come up with two instances when he would have liked a map or wanted to Google something when he wasn't near a broadband connected computer. Those two times weren't worth the extra expense.

I have no use for a smart phone. I don't want to surf the net or play games on a 2 inch screen. I saw a cell phone commercial commercial advertising that their plan was only $80 a month. What a ripoff! Plus pay TV costing around $100 a month these are two insanely expensive services that have creeped up over the last few years that I have no use for.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #2440 of 2861 Old 10-25-2011, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
OK, from the other side...

I have had my Droid X for about a year now. I do not do Facebook. My Droid is my internet connection. I use it daily, multiple times a day, to check e-mail, AVS forums, do google searches, and keep up with family members via text. Streaming TV or movies is useless to me at this time because no one that I know of streams closed or open/subtiles with their programming. I can hear, but can't always make out the dialog. Too many loud cars, firearms, and rock n roll in my younger days...

I cut the cord with the cable companies, thus I no longer have internet service at my house. However, I can tether my Droid to my PC, and enjoy unlimited internet through Verizon (I was grandfathered in) all for $40 a month... Nobody else comes close to that.

I also use my Droid for weather, radar, news, maps, etc.

I get my TV OTA only, and too think the spectrum shortage is manufactured. But on the other hand, I get internet, text, phone, and e-mail for about $100 a month including taxes and fees. It is one of the best investments I ever made in my opinion...

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")
post #2441 of 2861 Old 10-25-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like FCC Commissioner Clyburn will be in Salt Lake City on Friday:

"SALT LAKE CITY FCC Commissioner Mignon L. Clyburn will be the keynote speaker at the NAACP's 92nd annual Life Membership and Freedom Fund Banquet Friday at 7 p.m."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...FCC-chief.html

Maybe we can get her on "Sunday Edition with Bruce Lindsay", which records on Friday afternoon. It would be nice to hear some of her thoughts on the "Spectrum Crunch" and the "Incentive Auctions".

"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #2442 of 2861 Old 10-25-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

"SALT LAKE CITY FCC Commissioner Mignon L. Clyburn will be the keynote speaker at the NAACP's 92nd annual Life Membership and Freedom Fund Banquet Friday at 7 p.m."

Maybe we can get her on "Sunday Edition with Bruce Lindsay", which records on Friday afternoon. It would be nice to hear some of her thoughts on the "Spectrum Crunch" and the "Incentive Auctions".

That would be cool! Let us know if it happens and what she has to say...

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")
post #2443 of 2861 Old 10-25-2011, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAhead View Post

OK, from the other side...

I have had my Droid X for about a year now. I do not do Facebook. My Droid is my internet connection. I use it daily, multiple times a day, to check e-mail, AVS forums, do google searches, and keep up with family members via text. Streaming TV or movies is useless to me at this time because no one that I know of streams closed or open/subtiles with their programming. I can hear, but can't always make out the dialog. Too many loud cars, firearms, and rock n roll in my younger days...

I cut the cord with the cable companies, thus I no longer have internet service at my house. However, I can tether my Droid to my PC, and enjoy unlimited internet through Verizon (I was grandfathered in) all for $40 a month... Nobody else comes close to that....

I'm sorry even grandfathered in plans you could never tether and get unlimited internet form Verizon. If you are doing it you are violating Verizon's TOS. You get unlimited data on your PHONE. Tethering has always had a cap.
post #2444 of 2861 Old 10-26-2011, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
From Multichannel News

Quote:

Time Warner Cable Rejects HDTV Antenna Maker's Ad

MSO Declined to Air Spot That Says TV Viewers ‘Don't Need Expensive Cable Service'

By Todd Spangler

Time Warner Cable rejected an ad from Mohu, a small producer of HDTV antennas, which said TV viewers "don't need expensive cable service to watch HD programs."

Brian Baucom, Mohu's vice president of marketing, said TWC rejected ads his company tried to place 30-second spots with the cable company in Columbus, Ohio, and Kansas City, Mo., within the past week.

Mohu Leaf antenna ad"Mohu Leaf antenna ad""It was straightforward -- it's a direct-response ad," Baucom said. "The public doesn't know you can get the top 20 shows on broadcast and you don't need cable."

Time Warner Cable said it rejected the ad because it advertised a competitive product. "It is our general policy to not take ads that directly compete with our broadband, video and voice services," the cable operator said in a statement, adding that other MSOs had declined to take the ad.

Mohu selected Columbus and Kansas City based on those markets' demographics, as an initial test of TV advertising leading up to its broader retail launch. Baucom denied that Mohu tried to place the ad with TWC knowing it would be rejected. He said ad rates at local TV stations were too high for his budget, so the company wanted to try cable.

"When a cable company is in a certain area, I don't have an alternative," he said.

Mohu's ad says that using the $44.99 antenna, customers can watch National Football League games and other broadcast network programming "in better HD quality than cable or Dish," and that "most top-rated shows are broadcast to you free, over the air in full high definition." The ad is available here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNtll-4fiis.

Mohu launched flexible, "paper-thin" 9-ounce Leaf antenna in April 2011, and it's now listed as the top-selling HDTV antenna on Amazon.com. The company has sold more than 10,000 via Amazon.com and several thousand more through its website, according to Baucom.

Privately held Mohu, based in Raleigh, N.C., was spun out of GreenWave Scientific, which develops antennas for the U.S. military.

In a statement, Mohu president Mark Buff said, "Of course we wanted to run the commercial on cable just like DirectTV or other satellite companies run their ads. And we thought we should have the right to."

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #2445 of 2861 Old 10-26-2011, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

New marketing tactic, try to advertise your product somewhere that is guaranteed to reject it, then take your sob story to news outlets and get free press that way. Wait, did I say new? I meant 'oldest trick in the book'.
post #2446 of 2861 Old 10-27-2011, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Time Warner Cable rejected an ad from Mohu, a small producer of HDTV antennas, which said TV viewers "don't need expensive cable service to watch HD programs."

Brian Baucom, Mohu's vice president of marketing, said TWC rejected ads his company tried to place 30-second spots with the cable company in Columbus, Ohio, and Kansas City, Mo., within the past week.

Mohu Leaf antenna ad"Mohu Leaf antenna ad""It was straightforward -- it's a direct-response ad," Baucom said. "The public doesn't know you can get the top 20 shows on broadcast and you don't need cable."

Time Warner Cable said it rejected the ad because it advertised a competitive product. "It is our general policy to not take ads that directly compete with our broadband, video and voice services," the cable operator said in a statement, adding that other MSOs had declined to take the ad.

I suppose it's not entirely unreasonable that a cable company wouldn't want to advertise a competing product. But now Mohu can advertise (in other media) with a headline like "the product the cable company doesn't want you to know about".

Quote:

Mohu selected Columbus and Kansas City based on those markets' demographics, as an initial test of TV advertising leading up to its broader retail launch. Baucom denied that Mohu tried to place the ad with TWC knowing it would be rejected. He said ad rates at local TV stations were too high for his budget, so the company wanted to try cable.

Mohu should ask the local TV stations for an advertising discount, since the stations would also benefit from increased OTA viewership.
post #2447 of 2861 Old 10-27-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

The stations are getting retrans fees from cable on top of advertising dollars. They have no incentive to convert existing cable viewers to OTA viewers. They are fighting the spectrum war to keep their existing OTA viewers, many of whom would simply stop watching if free broadcasts went away.
post #2448 of 2861 Old 10-28-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And let's see here! If wireless carriers were to allow WiFi only smartphones that didn't require a data plan on their networks the whole spectrum "crisis" thing would go away. Oh, but you can't charge the big bucks for that!!!

They may yet figure out a way...

Wave Goodbye to Free Wi-Fi

http://www.lightreading.com/blog.asp...&doc_id=213952

Quote:

Enjoy your wireless operator's free Wi-Fi while you still can, because it could soon be a thing of the past. Wireless operators will be investing up to nine figures in Wi-Fi by next year, according to a Ruckus Wireless Inc. exec, and they have to recoup it somehow.

Steven Glapa, senior director of field marketing at the Wi-Fi offload vendor, says that most operators are at least exploring how to charge for Wi-Fi now. Most, like AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T), which has 29,000 hot spots, offer it free as a value-added service today. But Glapa says operators, in general, are considering bundling in an extra cost for the off-network access into data plans and counting that usage against the data cap.

Once they have the policy management in place to integrate Wi-Fi into [their networks], you have those options, Glapa said in a 4G World interview.

post #2449 of 2861 Old 10-29-2011, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Yet, TV stations routinely carry thousands of ads per month from the Cable companies, who are in direct competition for viewers' eyeballs.

post #2450 of 2861 Old 10-29-2011, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I wonder how many DirecTV and Dish Network ads Time Warner customers have seen.

Max Vrany
All opinions are my own unless otherwise specified.
I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of any information given.
GO Pack GO! On Wisconsin! Go Brewers!
post #2451 of 2861 Old 10-29-2011, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yet, TV stations routinely carry thousands of ads per month from the Cable companies, who are in direct competition for viewers' eyeballs.

Are there any statistics for how much of a station's revenue comes from retrans fees vs. from advertising dollars? Does losing eyeballs matter if you're getting paid either way?
post #2452 of 2861 Old 10-30-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Retrans Fees are a mere pittance, in relation to what a station needs to make to stay in business.
I've heard consultants talk about the "Retrans Windfall", and I've gotten a few dirty looks from them when I roll my eyes at the term, but it's not tons of money...just a way to help keep the lights on, and help keep some people employed.

I'm not sure what we currently get, but several years ago my Station Manager said it was OK to tell people that we were getting 17-cents per (local-in-to-local) satellite subscriber. We were doing lots of "in-kind" promotions and public service stuff with the Cable company, so they provided non-monetary fees, worth about the same. At the time, Cable was about 50%, DBS was about 25%, and OTA was about 25%, of the 800K homes in the DMA.

I think we figured that, as a "Big-4" + news station, a home was actually worth a couple of hundred dollars a month in advertising to us.

post #2453 of 2861 Old 10-31-2011, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Didn't happen (the TV show). They talked about politics instead.

The newspaper says she spoke on the need for more women and minorities in management of the TV media. Maybe she hasn't gotten the message, yet, that the FCC wants to eliminate said media.

post #2454 of 2861 Old 10-31-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

"ELKO — The Elko TV District wants to know if taxpayers are using the television service or getting their entertainment elsewhere.

As routinely discussed during the campaign for the four open director seats last year, the board decided to follow through on promises and send out a survey to taxpayers within the district. The board wants to know who is and isn’t using the system, what channels are watched and what property owners think of the system overall, said board treasurer Paul Gardner."

http://elkodaily.com/news/local/arti...cc4c002e0.html

It'll be interesting to see the results. I also saw that the sale of two FM Translators at Elko and Carlin was approved last week by the FCC.

post #2455 of 2861 Old 11-08-2011, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Here is an excerpt from, and link to, what I consider an excellent article from HDTVExpert.com, by Pete Putman. Pete has been writing and consulting on HDTV issues since before ATSC existed.

Quote:

HDTV Expert - Put Up, Or Shut Up

by Pete Putman

A recent press release from the Consumer Electronics Association states that, “The most wanted gifts this holiday will be wirelessly connected products, fueling consumer demand for devices that need additional spectrum for wireless broadband.”

All well and good. But the release goes on to quote CEA’s vice-president for regulatory affairs, Julie Kearney, as saying, “The products consumers want most this holiday all require spectrum to deliver Internet content. Congress must pass legislation to free up much needed spectrum so consumers can use these innovative technologies without limitations this holiday.”

The release goes on to say, “The facts are overwhelming. Broadcasters are sitting on broad swaths of underutilized spectrum despite the demand for mobile connected devices surging, as this holiday season demonstrates.”

OK CEA, where’s the proof? Where is the comprehensive spectrum audit that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that TV broadcasters are ‘sitting on broad swaths of underutilized spectrum?’ Despite the fact that broadcasters have already given back UHF channels 51 – 83 over the past 30 years, to be re-purposed for other means?

Guess what? There isn’t any proof. In fact, the FCC still hasn’t released a comprehensive spectrum inventory to the public, even though several members of Congress have been asking for it for over a year.

The truth is; the federal government sits on more spectrum than anyone else. And it would be a piece of cake to carve out 120 MHz of that spectrum for CTIA members, who are obviously behind this campaign to have the government ‘take away’ from TV stations and ‘give to’ the big telecoms, under the guise of spectrum auctions that are, in the CEA’s words, “…a win-win for consumers, broadcasters and the U.S. government. Consumers will get much needed and more reliable spectrum for their wireless devices, tens of thousands of new jobs will be created and billions of dollars will be raised to help cut the federal deficit.”

In this time of severe economic stress for the average American, I am amazed that the CEA would take a stance that is essentially hostile to middle-class Americans, and that is to encroach on their ability to enjoy free, over-the-air digital TV and HDTV broadcasts.

Just look at all of the cable TV companies who are seeing channel package subscribers jumping ship. Comcast, Cablevision, and Time Warner have seen over 300,000 channel subscriptions dropped in the 3rd quarter. Think those folks aren’t not watching TV anymore? Betcha some of them are now using antennas…

Here’s an idea: Let’s not worry so much about Verizon and AT&T. They’ll be just fine; thank you. Instead, insist that the CEA re-direct their lobbying towards getting the FCC to release a full spectrum audit and inventory, and look at some of the government-held spectrum to be re-purposed for additional wireless uses.

If the FCC thinks that there is truly a spectrum crisis, then let Washington give up some of its hoarded megahertz to alleviate it. Cut out the middleman and let’s have another spectrum auction that doesn’t rob Peter to pay Paul…

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/?p=1595

Please read this important commentary.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #2456 of 2861 Old 11-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Here is an excerpt from, and link to, what I consider an excellent article from HDTVExpert.com, by Pete Putman. Pete has been writing and consulting on HDTV issues since before ATSC existed.

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/?p=1595

Please read this important commentary.

Yes, good article. I just wished the NAB would step up their efforts to educate the American public. It is my personal belief that people cannot support a cause that they know nothing about. My perception has been that outside of forums (such as avs and other similar ones), the average American continues to know little to nothing about the so called spectrum crunch and the unhanded tactics of groups like the Consumer Electronics Association.

I understand local broadcasters must walk a tight rope because retransmission fees are a source of revenue in these tough economic times. Yet, at the same time, I cannot imagine any sucessful broadcaster wanting to give up control of their right to transmit their signal. So they mostly seem to stay on the sidelines and let the NAB do the talking for them in Washington.

I would be shocked if it ever happened. But nothing would please me more than to see local networks around the country starting to 'out' all of the crooked politicians in their home states that have worked with these special interest groups against the broadcasters.

Perhaps most people never give it a second's thought. But even viewers who watch nothing but cable or satellite need to recognize that if the day ever comes where OTA is no longer viable.....then get ready for even MORE price increases on subscription TV. Simply put, (in my opinion) OTA does provide some checks and balances. And I know this all too well from my own experience when TWC offered me the new customer rate (even though I wasn't a new customer) once they found out that I had a rooftop antenna.

Also, we need a FCC that supports broadcasters and encourages them to be innovative with new ideas to promote broadband themselves. I guess we will all see what happens next year after election day.
post #2457 of 2861 Old 11-09-2011, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But even viewers who watch nothing but cable or satellite need to recognize that if the day ever comes where OTA is no longer viable.....then get ready for even MORE price increases on subscription TV.

And more commercials and more paid programming and more screen clutter and more repeats and even cheaper programming and even less variety.

I'm not just using an antenna but I'm buying the programming I want on DVD. I just got some DVDs in the mail today.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #2458 of 2861 Old 11-09-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

The release goes on to say, “The facts are overwhelming. Broadcasters are sitting on broad swaths of underutilized spectrum despite the demand for mobile connected devices surging, as this holiday season demonstrates.”

I don't know what they mean by this. This is one of these lies that if repeated enough becomes the truth. How many full power stations are "sitting on broad swaths of underutilized spectrum?" I don't consider a single 1080i data stream as underutilized spectrum. I do consider a single 480i stream as underutilized. I can think of two of those around here, KTLN and KBSV.

The majority of wasted spectrum is in low power broadcasting. There are a bunch of analog stations around here that need to go. Most of these could consolidate into one digital station with multiple subchannels. Why is the FCC not pushing this idea?

There are at least 4 LP analogs on Fremont Peak in the Salinas market that could consolidate into one digital station.

The example that simply screams for consolidation close to me is KAZV LP analog, KBSV digital with one SD data stream, and KEXT LP analog. These stations all transmit from a close group of locations and have the same service area. But apparently there is an outdated FCC rule that prevents KBSV with a non-commercial full service license from hosting LP commercial stations.

That makes no sense today. The rule needs to be changed. The FCC itself was pushing the idea of channel sharing. Well here's a perfect situation for it. Get two stations switched to digital and open up two channels for new broadcasters that could better utilize that spectrum. In fact I think you add KACA as a 4th SD data stream and open up 3 channels. Does it really make any difference if 15.1 is noncommercial, 15.2 is a local broadcaster, 15.3 is a commercial affiliate, and 15.4 is a religious translator? Some of these old notions need to go into the NTSC trash heap.

A nearby underutilized spectrum offender is KMMD-LD on 28, a Tr3s station with a single SD data stream. At the same transmitter site is KCSO-LD that got stuck with RF 3. They have one HD stream and one SD stream. Even with an STA for 5KW they can't replicate their RF 33 analog coverage area. Why can't they channel share with KMMD and fully utilize the spectrum? And if there is some old FCC rule I don't know about, then it needs to be changed.

I don't believe you have to think very far outside the box to come up with ideas to better utilize existing spectrum without destroying free OTA.

Edit: I wanted to add a comment about cost. The prohibitive cost of converting to digital is often cited as the reason why LP stations cannot switch or delay switching to digital. Consolidating several LPs on one transmitter greatly reduces the non-recurring and recurring costs of going digital. Seems like a win all across the board to me; more stations on the air for greater consumer choice and lower costs to stay on the air.

Chuck
post #2459 of 2861 Old 11-09-2011, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post

I don't believe you have to think very far outside the box to come up with ideas to better utilize existing spectrum without destroying free OTA.

I agree. But remember that there are special interest groups whose goal is to destroy free OTA.
post #2460 of 2861 Old 11-09-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post

I agree. But remember that there are special interest groups whose goal is to destroy free OTA.

Oh yes, that is true. It's become quite obvious over the last year or so. There are spectrum inefficiencies but these special interest groups are promulgating half truths. It's made to sound like all big broadcasters are spectrum wasters when that's the exception, not the rule.

I think the NAB needs to step up defending broadcasters but at the same time acknowledge where inefficiencies exist and push to get changes made there.

I'd like to see spokespeople from these special interest groups be put on the hot seat and define exactly what they believe is spectrum wasting. To me it comes across that they define broadcaster as spectrum waster. I think they need to be challenged on that and not allowed to define the issue in that way. Only a large organization like the NAB has the influence to do that.

From my point of view the NAB looks like they are being politically out classed and out maneuvered by the special interest groups. Maybe they need to hire a consultant to do a better job of fighting back.

Chuck
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page