AVS Official Topic - The FCC & Broadcast Spectrum - Page 97 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #2881 of 2882 Old 07-01-2016, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
My Samsung UDTV (and many other UDTV's) already have the HARDWARE to process H.265 (HVEC) using a High-Speed Decoder Chip....but MAY or MIGHT NOT have the PROCESSOR CHIP to Decode OFDM signals [would require a Signal Processor with DOWNLOADABLE S/W...and enough MEMORY to load BOTH 8VSB and OFDM at the SAME time...easy peasy if they DESIGNED it upfront to be Upgradeable]. BTW, the RF Tuner is the SAME, using the standard 6 MHz Wide Bandwidth. What is NOT known is whether Samsung will bother to BACK-FIT their UDTV's or will ONLY do S/W Updates to support Ultra-HD Blu-Ray. They made a BIG DEAL about being UPGRADEABLE....including the ability to interconnect to a FUTURE-TECHNOLOGY EXTERNAL BOX, aka "One Connect Smart Evolution Kit"....if an external box is even NEEDED for ATSC 3.0:
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs-...s/SEK-2500U/ZA

Even in my very crowded SOCAL Area, a FEW Channels could be CLEARED for duplicate ATSC 3.0 operations if some of the financially struggling, lower-power [e.g. Religious + Foreign Language] channels were made an offer they couldn't refuse to DEFER changing over to Cell-Phone Operations, absorbing the low-rez programming onto existing ATSC 1.0 Channels....which is going to happen ANYWAY.....
This forum amazes me with the knowledge of its posters, including the above post. Thanks!
This whole process involving auctions, ATSC3, possible upgrades etc. is fascinating.
One low-power "religious channel" in our area has one HDTV feed and a few sub-channels, the other has six 480i feeds. This is about to get even more interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 2882 Old 07-01-2016, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
My Samsung UDTV (and many other UDTV's) .... MAY or MIGHT NOT have the PROCESSOR CHIP to Decode OFDM signals
would love to know if SDR on these TVs ever gets substantiated as more than "dreaming", even if they don't bother to release or implement it. Dr1394 or others here may know. If you ever find out, please do tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical