Strange TV, Blu-Ray Remote Conflict -- HDMI switchbox to blame? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-31-2010, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an odd problem with the remote control for my Panasonic BD30 Blu-ray player, located in my living room, suddenly turning on the Vizio VA320M TV, located in my adjacent dining room, wherever I press the "Play" button on the Panasonic. So I'll go into the dining room and turn off the Vizio TV -- but turning off the Vizio (whether by its remote control or at the set itself) will then turn off the Panasonic blu-ray player. That means I can't watch my blu-ray player (which is feeding a large Mitsubitshi TV in my living room), unless I don't mind the Vizio TV in the next room being on at the same time, with no one watching it (or I unplug the Vizio TV from the wall so it can't turn on.)

I thought this was strange enough, but then I discovered that the problem seems to be related somehow to a 4 x 2 HDMI Powered switch box (product 5312) purchased from monoprice. The switch box has one HDMI-out going to the Mitsubishi TV in the living room, and the other HDMI-out to the Vizio TV in dining room. I'm using three of its available four inputs for a Dish VIP 722, the Panasonic blu-ray player, and a Roku box. It all works quite nicely, and I'm pleased that I can watch any of my three video sources on either TV, or on both TVs at the same time. That is, I'm pleased -- except for the mysterious remote conflict. I believe the conflict must have something to do with the HDMI switch box, because when I disconnect the Panasonic blu-ray player from the box, pressing its play button no longer turns on the Vizio TV -- and turning off the Vizio no longer turns off the blu-ray player.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Would replacing the blu-ray player with one from another manufacturer solve the problem? Is there any other technical solution?

(I can connect the blu-ray player to another HDMI input on the Mitsubishi, leaving only the Roku and the VIP722 connected to the switch box -- the Roku doesn't seem to conflict with anything. That at least lets me watch the blu-ray player on the Mitsubishi without turning on a TV in the next room, but it means I can't watch the blu-ray player on the Vizio.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-31-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Have you tried changing the input for the blu-ray player on the switch box?
post #3 of 8 Old 01-31-2010, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post

Have you tried changing the input for the blu-ray player on the switch box?

That sounded like an idea, so I just connected the HDMI-out from the blu-ray player to input #4 on the switchbox -- it had previously been connected to input #2 (VIP 722 is still on 1, Roku on 3). But the result is the same -- hitting the play button on the blu-ray player still turns on the Vizio TV, and turning off the Vizio TV still turns off the blu-ray player.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-31-2010, 03:32 PM

You need to turn off your CEC (consumer electronic control) settings on the TV you don't want to have the Blu-Ray control. CEC is a feature of equipment connected via HDMI. It controls certain functions between equipment like on/off/ input select ect. It will be in you setup menu somewhere, on mine, it's under the inputs menu.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-31-2010, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay2031 View Post

You need to turn off your CEC (consumer electronic control) settings on the TV you don't want to have the Blu-Ray control. CEC is a feature of equipment connected via HDMI. It controls certain functions between equipment like on/off/ input select ect. It will be in you setup menu somewhere, on mine, it's under the inputs menu.

Thanks for the info. It turns out that CEC is indeed the issue, and that the Panasonic blu-ray player is turning on the Vizio via CEC though HDMI, and the Vizio is turning off the Panasonic. Unfortunately, there is no way to turn off or disable the CEC function on the Vizio TV, a fact that has now been confirmed for me by Vizio's tech support people. But luckily, Panasonic's brand of CEC, which is on by default in the blu-ray player, CAN be turned off in one of the menus. I just did that -- problem solved. It would be nice if Vizio (and all other manufacturers) made it possible to disable CEC, and better documented the function. But at least I learned something...
post #6 of 8 Old 03-18-2013, 09:46 PM

I have the same problem.. I have lg 32" tv about two yrs. old and recently bought a lg blu-ray 3d player for my 47" lg 3d tv in my living room.
I can turn on my dvd player in my living room and it turns on my tv in my bedroom, but it won't turn th tv off in the back bedroom when I turn the dvd off the in the front room. I have tried every every option and suggestion from lg reps to dish reps. I am on wireless for my back bedroom.
The lg people tell me that I have no cec option just simplink. I turned both tv's simplink off and still my back bedroom tv comes on...please help if possible.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-19-2013, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHolman View Post

Thanks for the info. It turns out that CEC is indeed the issue, and that the Panasonic blu-ray player is turning on the Vizio via CEC though HDMI, and the Vizio is turning off the Panasonic. Unfortunately, there is no way to turn off or disable the CEC function on the Vizio TV, a fact that has now been confirmed for me by Vizio's tech support people. But luckily, Panasonic's brand of CEC, which is on by default in the blu-ray player, CAN be turned off in one of the menus. I just did that -- problem solved. It would be nice if Vizio (and all other manufacturers) made it possible to disable CEC, and better documented the function. But at least I learned something...

What kind of Vizio you have? On my E-420i-A0 I can turn off CEC in the settings part of the menu.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jriggs33 View Post

I have the same problem.. I have lg 32" tv about two yrs. old and recently bought a lg blu-ray 3d player for my 47" lg 3d tv in my living room.
I can turn on my dvd player in my living room and it turns on my tv in my bedroom, but it won't turn th tv off in the back bedroom when I turn the dvd off the in the front room. I have tried every every option and suggestion from lg reps to dish reps. I am on wireless for my back bedroom.
The lg people tell me that I have no cec option just simplink. I turned both tv's simplink off and still my back bedroom tv comes on...please help if possible.

Simplink I believe is LG's name for CEC. The different manufacturers all seem to call CEC by their own names, but it's the same thing.

What do you mean you are "on wireless for your back bedroom"?

Is the Blu-ray player even hooked up over HDMI to the TV in the bedroom? If not then it isn't CEC/Simplink causing this. If it is then you also need to turn off CEC/Simplink in the Blu-Ray player as well.

Is there possibly a mirror or other reflective surface that the IR signal may be bouncing off of to reach the bedroom. If you close the bedroom door does it still happen?
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page