interference by STB box remote by HDMI cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-01-2010, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The only way I can get the remote control for the Motorola 1200VIP STB to correctly operate is to replace the HDMI cable with component video cables. The TV is a new Toshiba 47ZV650U. With HDMI cable in place, the remote hangs up and eventually quits responding. The STB and remote unit have both been replaced-no difference. I haven't changed the HDMI cable because I don't have another.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-01-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
There is no reason one should be interfering with the other, only thing I can suggest is try another cable, you can get them from forum vendor monoprice for a small amount.

You may want to check the master thread for that model STB to see if anyone else is having similar issues also.. A quick search on this section of the forum with the model number should turn it up.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-01-2010, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
There is an old thread about Motorola cable boxes and interference from certain TVs. If the settings on the HDMI input are different than the component input that may be the problem. The issue was solved by putting a piece of paper over the eye on the Motorola cable box or turning down the backlighting in some cases. Sorry I couldn't find the old thread.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-02-2010, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

As stated, I changed the cables and the remote-stb still did not work. I did change the HDMI inputs on the TV and it works fine. I'm guessing this is a bad HDMI port on the week old TV!
post #5 of 5 Old 05-10-2011, 01:53 PM

A thread on "AVForums" titled "TV Signal Interference with HDMI Cable" informed me that HDMI cables can radiate RF at a frequency dependent on the pixel/frame structure of the video being sent through the cable. This appears to definitely be the case in my interference problem (below) and may be the root cause of yours:

PROBLEM: My long, amplified HDMI runs appear to be radiating RF interference to my Universal Remote Powerblaster MRF100B RF Extender. The interference is visible as a quickly but steadily flashing status light on the Powerblaster and keeps the extender from working properly. HDMI cable is "PTC 100ft 24AWG Premium GOLD Series HDMI Amplified Cable" from Amazon. When I unplug the cables the interference stops. When I turn off the source interference stops.

SOLUTION?: I will try grounding (earthing), shielding and/or re-routing these long cables away from Powerblaster to hopefully reduce or eliminate the interference. This is the first problem I've had with these extra-long amplified cables. The digital video they pass, even at 1080p over 100 feet, is immaculate and never breaks up. Hopefully I do not have to replace them. I have been chasing this problem for quite some time but this possible cause makes sense.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page