Help, need to convert from coaxial to hdmi, DVI or Component - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-07-2010, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 42 in Westinghouse LCD monitor without a tuner. I have Comcast cable with one HDTV DVR STB. The Westinghouse used to be my main TV and was connected to the STB via component. I just bought a new 47 in Vizio to be the main TV and it is now connected to the STB. The Westinghouse was moved to a bedroom with a cable outlet and a Comcast tuner/unscramlber box which outputs via coaxial cable. Since my Westinghouse has no tuner, it has no coaxial inputs, so I can't connect it to the Comcast tuner/unscrambler box. I could pay Comcast another $12 a month to get a second HDTV STB. But I'd prefer to find a cheaper solution to hook up the Comcast tuner/unscrambler box to my Westinghouse monitor.

I've searched with no luck to find an adapter to go from coaxial to HDMI, DVI or component. Any suggestions for an inexpensive solution? I hate the idea of paying Comcast another $12 a month, but I also hate the idea of my Westinghouse becoming a rather large paper weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-07-2010, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If you want all of the same HD content you get from Comcast on that set, you'll need to rent a box from them or get a cablecard enabled tuner like an HD Tivoli, Moxi ora media center PC. If you'd be happy with just HD locals, check out the QAM enabled tuners in the Synopsis at the top of this forum.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-07-2010, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Does the "Comcast tuner/unscramlber box" have any other outputs other than coax, such as composite video (single yellow rca)? Since the non-HD box will not output HD, there is no reason to require HDMI, DVI or component. The coax output is an rf output, btw.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #4 of 7 Old 02-07-2010, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusher1 View Post

I have a 42 in Westinghouse LCD monitor without a tuner. I have Comcast cable with one HDTV DVR STB. The Westinghouse used to be my main TV and was connected to the STB via component. I just bought a new 47 in Vizio to be the main TV and it is now connected to the STB. The Westinghouse was moved to a bedroom with a cable outlet and a Comcast tuner/unscramlber box which outputs via coaxial cable. Since my Westinghouse has no tuner, it has no coaxial inputs, so I can't connect it to the Comcast tuner/unscrambler box. I could pay Comcast another $12 a month to get a second HDTV STB. But I'd prefer to find a cheaper solution to hook up the Comcast tuner/unscrambler box to my Westinghouse monitor.

I've searched with no luck to find an adapter to go from coaxial to HDMI, DVI or component. Any suggestions for an inexpensive solution? I hate the idea of paying Comcast another $12 a month, but I also hate the idea of my Westinghouse becoming a rather large paper weight.

You have 2 choices -
#1 - Goto Comcast and rent that 2nd HDTV cable box
#2 - run component cable with analog audio (total of 5 cables) or a really long HDMI cable from your cable box back to your bedroom, then both TVs will be watching the same programming.

If all you need is SOMETHING, take an old VCR with an analog cable tuner and use that back in the bedroom.

Or just give up on having the bedroom TV.

BTW - you should have done a search - this subject has been covered SEVERAL times.

I suppose your 3rd choice is to give up on the idea

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #5 of 7 Old 02-07-2010, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post

If you want all of the same HD content you get from Comcast on that set, you'll need to rent a box from them or get a cablecard enabled tuner like an HD Tivoli, Moxi ora media center PC. If you'd be happy with just HD locals, check out the QAM enabled tuners in the Synopsis at the top of this forum.

For the bedroom TV, I'd be fine with just the HD locals. But it seems like overkill to buy another tuner when Comcast has already supplied a tuner and I simply need to get the output from their tuner into my monitor.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-07-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusher1 View Post

For the bedroom TV, I'd be fine with just the HD locals. But it seems like overkill to buy another tuner when Comcast has already supplied a tuner and I simply need to get the output from their tuner into my monitor.

If you still have one - see what you get when you connect an analog TV to the coax connector on the Comcast box in the bedroom. I'd bet it is outputing analog channel 3 or 4.

With this information - now you know you need an analog TV tuner to feed the Westinghouse. This is where the old VCR comes in - take the output of the cable box to the Antenna in coax jack on the VCR, tune the VCR to channel 3 or 4, and connect the yellow video port and the red/white audio ports to corresponding inputs on the Westinghouse.

Ok - so it won't be HDTV - but at least you could continue to use the TV. If you want HD, you need to go to the cable company for the HD tuner and use the same kind of cables that you did before.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #7 of 7 Old 02-07-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I would check on the price of an HD tuner from Comcast that was not a DVR. It could be less than $12 per month. If not for 40 cents per day, I would get the Comcast HDTV DVR STB and continue to enjoy an HD picture on the Westinghouse LCD monitor.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page