Motorola STB keeps resetting system settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-19-2010, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having problems with the system settings in my Motorola 3416 HDPVR set top box resetting themselves. The STB is connected via HDMI to a Yamaha HTR 6060 receiver which is then connected to a Samsung plasma TV (pn50b530) also via HDMI. I prefer to set the resolution option on the STB to 1080i (default is 720p) and the 4:3 override to 480i. For some reason, howver, every few days the STB box resets its system settings to 780p and 4:3 override off. This is a big hassle as I have to go back into the system settings (power off STB, press menu key, change settings, power off box, power on box) to revert back to my preferred settings. I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the HDMI handshake between the STB and my receiver but may be wrong? I have searched other forums and this seems to be a fairly common issue, however, I haven't been able to find any solutions to this other than the suggestion I use component cable rather than HDMI for the SDT hook up which I don't want to do. I use a Harmony remote and wonder if the issue of the STB setting itself may have something to do with the way or order I power on my equipment from off or maybe even the order that I power on/off the equipment or switch inputs on my receiver when changing from another activity (i.e. watching blu-ray or playing game) to the watch TV/STB activity. I've read some suggestions in other forums where people suggest various orders of powering on/off equipment but am not sure if this will help or if it will, what order I need to use. At any rate, I'm getting pretty frustrated with this. When I spoke with my HD cable provider they said they had never heard of the issue - surprising since there are a number of forums dedicated to the very issue and specific to the Motorola 3416 HDPVR (all with no solutions). Initially, they thought the unti was defective so replaced it with a new one but the problem still persists. I should mention that as suggested by the provider and other forum participants, I do not power on or off the STB but leave it on 24/7. Does anyone out there have a similar issue or has anyone got a solution or suggestions? This is driving me nuts. Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-19-2010, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I have seen several reports of systems haveiing this problem when receivers are between the STB and the TV apparently caused by the receiver changing the EDID data sent to the source after it has had it's input source changed. Try bypassing the receiver as a test.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-23-2010, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Also have a 6060 yamaha, and 3416 same issue. Selling mine right now.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-24-2010, 08:30 AM

I have 3 Verizon HD STBs in my house (1 6416-2 and 2 6200s). The issue I am having, and that appears unrelated to other posts on the clock vs channel display, is that about every few days the STBs default to showing the Channel and not the Time.

I can go into the Menu and look at the STB setting for Front and it is set to Display Clock, but that isn't what is happening. What I typically have to do is change it to Display Channel, then back to Display Clock and it will work for a few days.

I've also looked each time at the software and firmware information and it doesn't look like any updates are registered. Additionally, these boxes are not turned off, I tend to keep the boxes on and just turn the TV on or off as needed.

The issue affects all 3 boxes at the same time, so it seems like it might be either a system issue or an issue with the Motorola boxes.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this behavior.

IÂm very good at wrapping Supplies
post #5 of 5 Old 02-22-2011, 11:07 AM

I realize this is an old thread, but I didn't find any solutions posted to this problem anywhere, and apparently the current motorola DVRs have this issue too.

I was having a similar problem with my motorola 3112 DVR, denon AVR 1911 and Samsung C3600 HDTV until I turned off Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) under the Media Play menu on the Samsung. This can apparently mess up the HDMI handshakes that have to occur between the various devices in the chain. Hope this helps.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page